PDA

View Full Version : A Special Motown Disco Album

test

thommg
03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
I recently found out that there was a series entitled A Special Motown Disco Album. It was 4 different releases with dance music on them. I never heard of these before and wondered if anyone had any information about them. I know a few of the songs are the "long versions" but are most of the songs on these albums the original album tracks or special remixes? I saw mp3's for one of them that included a Cuba Gooding song and one from Three Ounces of Fun but the picture of the back of the album listed two different songs in their place.

woodward
03-05-2015, 08:54 PM
I recently found out that there was a series entitled A Special Motown Disco Album. It was 4 different releases with dance music on them. I never heard of these before and wondered if anyone had any information about them. I know a few of the songs are the "long versions" but are most of the songs on these albums the original album tracks or special remixes? I saw mp3's for one of them that included a Cuba Gooding song and one from Three Ounces of Fun but the picture of the back of the album listed two different songs in their place.
/B]There were 4 albums, DiscoTech #1 Motown 824, DiscoTech #2 Motown 831, DiscoTech #3 Motown 853, and DiscoTech #4 Motown 872. None of these 4 include anything by Cuba Goodling or 3 Oz. of Fun. Are these the ones you are inquiring about? I believe they are original songs that were released as singles. If this is what you want, I will be glad to provide a complete listing of all songs on these 4 albums. The album states "A collection of classic Motown songs and sounds for Dancing In The Streets...and Elsewhere."[B]

thommg
03-05-2015, 10:10 PM
/B]There were 4 albums, DiscoTech #1 Motown 824, DiscoTech #2 Motown 831, DiscoTech #3 Motown 853, and DiscoTech #4 Motown 872. None of these 4 include anything by Cuba Goodling or 3 Oz. of Fun. Are these the ones you are inquiring about? I believe they are original songs that were released as singles. If this is what you want, I will be glad to provide a complete listing of all songs on these 4 albums. The album states "A collection of classic Motown songs and sounds for Dancing In The Streets...and Elsewhere."[B]

These are not the Disco Tech albums. Here's one of the covers:

jack020
03-06-2015, 02:37 AM
The songs on these albums were the original album tracks.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-06-2015, 03:00 AM
Thom, if you’re looking for 12" Extended Motown tracks, are you familiar with this CD release?:

VARIOUS ARTISTS - "Motown Disco: Soulful Grooves From The ‘70s & ‘80s"

It’s a 2-disc CD import from Universal U.K. [[available from Amazon U.S.) which includes Motown dance tracks – some of which are the long LP versions, and some which are the longer-yet 12" mixes. The remastering on this set is HOT – the tracks really jump out at you! - Gary

http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Disco-Disco-Soulful-Grooves-70s/dp/B0002W15B4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425625167&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=various+artists+motown+disco+soulful+groo ves

thommg
03-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the information. If they are all original album tracks then I'll create my own version by pulling out the ones I already have and keeping the ones I don't.

Gary, I didn't know about that cd. I'll check it out. By the way, I have really enjoyed the XIT cd. I lost the thread on it so I never responded there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the information. If they are all original album tracks then I'll create my own version by pulling out the ones I already have and keeping the ones I don't.

Gary, I didn't know about that cd. I'll check it out. By the way, I have really enjoyed the XIT cd. I lost the thread on it so I never responded there. Thanks for the recommendation.

You’re welcome, Thom. Hey, glad to hear you liked the XIT CD! I was pretty sure you would! - Gary

kenneth
03-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Thom, if you’re looking for 12" Extended Motown tracks, are you familiar with this CD release?:

VARIOUS ARTISTS - "Motown Disco: Soulful Grooves From The ‘70s & ‘80s"

It’s a 2-disc CD import from Universal U.K. [[available from Amazon U.S.) which includes Motown dance tracks – some of which are the long LP versions, and some which are the longer-yet 12" mixes. The remastering on this set is HOT – the tracks really jump out at you! - Gary

http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Disco-Disco-Soulful-Grooves-70s/dp/B0002W15B4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425625167&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=various+artists+motown+disco+soulful+groo ves

I agree. It is a fantastic set. Beautifully mastered. Also, I think this was the first time we got to hear the original version of "High Energy" on CD. [[I think the version on the 70s Anthology was an alternate take.) But all the tracks are great, and some are truly unusual like a version of Funkadelic's "Standing on the Verge of Gettin' it On" but a group whose name escapes me at the moment [[not one of the first tier artists).

kenneth
03-06-2015, 05:37 PM
It looks like all 4 volumes are available on Ebay, mostly from international sellers but at reasonable prices, with the exception of Volume 4 which is a picture disk priced at $50! Anyway, on some of them you can see the track listings and timings. Interesting series. I never knew about it before.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=motown+special+disco&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmotown+sp ecial+disco+album.TRS0&_nkw=motown+special+disco+album&ghostText=&_sacat=0

thommg
03-06-2015, 05:44 PM
It looks like all 4 volumes are available on Ebay, mostly from international sellers but at reasonable prices, with the exception of Volume 4 which is a picture disk priced at $50! Anyway, on some of them you can see the track listings and timings. Interesting series. I never knew about it before.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=motown+special+disco&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmotown+sp ecial+disco+album.TRS0&_nkw=motown+special+disco+album&ghostText=&_sacat=0

I had never heard of them before, either, Kenneth. And some of the songs I am unfamiliar with. All of the covers seem to be by the same artist and all of women in various stages of "boogie-ing". A very interesting find.

reese
03-06-2015, 08:25 PM
I remember seeing an ad for these in the UK magazine BLACK MUSIC, but I never knew if these albums were released in the USA as well.

kenneth
03-07-2015, 03:06 PM
I had never heard of them before, either, Kenneth. And some of the songs I am unfamiliar with. All of the covers seem to be by the same artist and all of women in various stages of "boogie-ing". A very interesting find.

What's strange about the ones I found on Ebay is there seems to be two "Volume 2's" and then it appears someone caught the error and corrected the one with the red cover to be Volume 3. But it also appears the contents changed on the red cover album from when it was "Volume 2" to when it was "Volume 3." Oops, gotta have all the variants!

My ambition is to be as good at research as Carole Cucumber!

Philles/Motown Gary
03-07-2015, 10:08 PM
I agree. It is a fantastic set. Beautifully mastered. Also, I think this was the first time we got to hear the original version of "High Energy" on CD. [[I think the version on the 70s Anthology was an alternate take.) But all the tracks are great, and some are truly unusual like a version of Funkadelic's "Standing on the Verge of Gettin' it On" but a group whose name escapes me at the moment [[not one of the first tier artists).
Hey Kenny! How's it going, Buddy? Yeah, it's amazing how Motown's engineer[[s) [[most likely our man Russ Terrana) souped-up those tracks the way he did. It's downright impressive!!

BTW, the "Standing On The Verge..." Motown group you're referring to is Platinum Hook. Their first, self-titled Motown album was released on CD [[Expanded Version) by BBR [[Big Break Records) last year. - Gary

kenneth
03-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Hey Kenny! How's it going, Buddy? Yeah, it's amazing how Motown's engineer[[s) [[most likely our man Russ Terrana) souped-up those tracks the way he did. It's downright impressive!!

BTW, the "Standing On The Verge..." Motown group you're referring to is Platinum Hook. Their first, self-titled Motown album was released on CD [[Expanded Version) by BBR [[Big Break Records) last year. - Gary

Hey Gary! Thanks for the info. Have you heard that Platinum Hook CD? They're asking a lot for it on Amazon.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Hey Gary! Thanks for the info. Have you heard that Platinum Hook CD? They're asking a lot for it on Amazon.

You're very welcome, Kenny. Yeah, I've heard it. In fact, I bought it last year. It's okay, but not one of my favorites, but, hey, it's Motown! The CD came out on Universal Japan which costs $22.00 on Amazon. Actually, that's pretty inexpensive considering the fact that Universal Japan CDs typically command $40.00 per copy. I bought the BBR [[Big Break Records) release because it's an Expanded version. Amazon is asking about $27.00 for it, but the sound quality is really great which makes it worth it to me. - Gary

thommg
03-10-2015, 11:51 AM
I wonder of there is a difference in tracks on the red covered Vol. 2/ Vol. 3 releases. I found 2 different tracks lists for that volume. Most of the tracks are the same but 2 titles on each have been changed out.