PDA

View Full Version : Tempting contenders!

test

jboy88
03-04-2015, 11:55 PM
So the roll call of Temptations got me thinking! Who do you think might of been a good fit to be in the greatest R&B group of all time. I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling with some of my picks

William Powell of the O'jays- tall, slim and could move with perfection with a natural tenor voice very similar to Eddie Kendricks. Definitely could of filled his shoes in 71. Sadly, his illness meant he would of been out around the same timeframe as the man who did get the job.

Hank Dixon of the Originals- not sure how he'd fare as a dancer, but he had the voice and could of replaced Dennis in the mid 70s.

Ricky Owens might of fared better if he'd joined a little earlier, say 66-68! Given his output with the vibrations, he should of fit the Tempts like a glove. Perhaps by the time he did get his shot, he was past his prime.

marv2
03-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Everyone of the Dramatics!

Larry "L.J." Reynolds
Donald Albert
Leon Franklin
Winzell Kelly
Ron Banks
Larry "Squirrel" Demps
Willie Ford
William "Wee Gee" Howard
Elbert Wilkins
Lenny Mayes
Michael Brock
Larry Reed
Roderick Davis
Craig Jones
Steven Boyd
Harley K. Brown
Robert Ellington
James Mack Brown

marv2
03-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Also rans would includeL

Chuck Jackson
Teddy Pendergrass
Blue Lovett
Any one of the Winans
Emanuel "EJ" Johnson [[of Enchantment)
Ralph Mitchell [[ The Floaters)
Charles Clark [[The Floaters)
David Ebo [[Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes)

marv2
03-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Curtis Gadson [[Detroit Singer and TV host)

heikki
03-05-2015, 04:17 AM
David Sea, who's in the other line-up today.

Best regards
Heikki

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Sweet James Epps [[Fantastic Four)
Marvin Junior [[The Dells)
Tony Williams [[The Platters) perhaps the greatest of them all

Mention Curtis Gadson...my old friend and bandmate..I was music director of The Strides when Curtis replaced Charlie Clark as 1st tenor lead when Charlie got sent to Nam.....

marv2
03-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Sweet James Epps [[Fantastic Four)
Marvin Junior [[The Dells)
Tony Williams [[The Platters) perhaps the greatest of them all

Mention Curtis Gadson...my old friend and bandmate..I was music director of The Strides when Curtis replaced Charlie Clark as 1st tenor lead when Charlie got sent to Nam.....

Stu, I didn't know that. We should talk more.
Curtis is a very under recognized talent!

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Stu, I didn't know that. We should talk more.
Curtis is a very under recognized talent!

Yes, Curt is an old friend...even caught up with each other our here in L.A. several years back. Haven't spoken with him in a while...We also did some work with Ivy Hunter in the late 70's along with Ron Sanders who was newscasting at WJBK and some other guys, and I helped Curtis and Ron with a TV special they did at channel 2 back then...Curtis could have easily replaced Eddie K in the Tempts. I believe he did actually audition for that gig at one point...

marv2
03-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Yes, Curt is an old friend...even caught up with each other our here in L.A. several years back. Haven't spoken with him in a while...We also did some work with Ivy Hunter in the late 70's along with Ron Sanders who was newscasting at WJBK and some other guys, and I helped Curtis and Ron with a TV special they did at channel 2 back then...Curtis could have easily replaced Eddie K in the Tempts. I believe he did actually audition for that gig at one point...

Stu, I remember Ron Sanders from back in the day. That TV special you mentioned, is that the one featuring Curtis that aired back in 1985 just prior to the "Motown Returns to the Apollo" special?

Curtis would have been a good fit for the Temptations.

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Wasn't 85 since I was already in L.A....More like 77-78 called The Sound Of New Detroit. Shot some scenes at the refurbished Orchestra Hall and did a segment in the studio with Michael Stokes and Enchantment...Curtis sang a song called Lazy Afternoon that he and Ron co-wrote...Curtis did another Special I recall around 83 or so when I was with WWWW. I recall going to the taping with Ivy Jo and Martha Reeves,,,

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 08:55 PM
BTW...My brother was musical arranger/director for the Motown At The Apollo special. Russ Terrana did the sound for that one as I recall too...

marv2
03-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Wasn't 85 since I was already in L.A....More like 77-78 called The Sound Of New Detroit. Shot some scenes at the refurbished Orchestra Hall and did a segment in the studio with Michael Stokes and Enchantment...Curtis sang a song called Lazy Afternoon that he and Ron co-wrote...Curtis did another Special I recall around 83 or so when I was with WWWW. I recall going to the taping with Ivy Jo and Martha Reeves,,,

The special I am thinking of aired on WXYZ Channel 7 [[ I am not totally sure, it could have been on Ch. 4), but it aired on the same night, just ahead of the Motown Returns to the Apollo show. I taped it and it is somewhere now. It was just before I moved to Philadelphia. I remember Curtis hosted, sang some songs in between old black and white clips of the classic Motown acts.

marv2
03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
BTW...My brother was musical arranger/director for the Motown At The Apollo special. Russ Terrana did the sound for that one as I recall too...

WOW! That had to be an incredibly difficult job with all those different acts from different generations etc, etc. It was a top notch show however.

marv2
03-05-2015, 09:01 PM

I missed seeing "The Sound Of New Detroit" special in 1978. I probably was out shoveling snow at the time, it was so bad that winter LOL! I wished things like that would turn up on Youtube. Nat Morris did go into the archives of "The Scene" and uploaded a few shows a while back with the Dramatics etc.

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Around those days Curtis pretty much gave up performing and devoted his time to TV production at Channel 2 and then Channel 4...After his time in L.A. Curtis became like a VP and program director for BET for a while. Not sure where he's at these days, but now I'm curious...

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 09:24 PM
BTW...Curtis recorded under the name Curt Darin...

marv2
03-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Around those days Curtis pretty much gave up performing and devoted his time to TV production at Channel 2 and then Channel 4...After his time in L.A. Curtis became like a VP and program director for BET for a while. Not sure where he's at these days, but now I'm curious...

Well that answers the question what channel broadcasted his 1985 production....channel 4. Thank you Stu. I would be interested in knowing what he is up to today as well. Detroit had/has so much talent it is sometimes overwhelming when I think about it all.

StuBass1
03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Not a problem...I'll try to track him down one of these days...

marv2
03-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Not a problem...I'll try to track him down one of these days...

If you do, invite him to SDF!

jboy88
03-06-2015, 12:05 AM
I'd initially included Marvin Gaye on my list of possible contenders. He had the height and the voice. But he might of been just as much of as issue as Ruffin or more. Plus, His solo career was in full swing while the temps were still " hitless". Listening to "Try It Baby" give us a chance to imagine what could of been.

arr&bee
03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
so the roll call of temptations got me thinking! Who do you think might of been a good fit to be in the greatest r&b group of all time. I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling with some of my picks

william powell of the o'jays- tall, slim and could move with perfection with a natural tenor voice very similar to eddie kendricks. Definitely could of filled his shoes in 71. Sadly, his illness meant he would of been out around the same timeframe as the man who did get the job.

Hank dixon of the originals- not sure how he'd fare as a dancer, but he had the voice and could of replaced dennis in the mid 70s.

Ricky owens might of fared better if he'd joined a little earlier, say 66-68! Given his output with the vibrations, he should of fit the tempts like a glove. Perhaps by the time he did get his shot, he was past his prime.you must have been readng my mind,i just p osted about the great first tenor of the[softones]i think his name is marvin smith,great singer who could've been a temp,if you have any softones take a listen.

jboy88
03-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Yeah I've heard of the Softones. "I'm Gonna Prove It" is one of my jams.

arr&bee
03-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Hey temptaholics,on the subject of[teddy p]in the temps,here's and imaginary scenario that would've been funny[using lines from the movie]..otis-teddy teddy you can't collect all the panties thrown uphere,these women are coming to see the temptations..tp-ain't nobody coming to see you otis,you wish you could work it like me but you can't,there's only one teddy p and without me the temps are just another group in search of a teddy p,i been thnkin,teddy p and the temptations,,otis-that'll never happen..tp-then i'm gone.

marv2
03-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Hey temptaholics,on the subject of[teddy p]in the temps,here's and imaginary scenario that would've been funny[using lines from the movie]..otis-teddy teddy you can't collect all the panties thrown uphere,these women are coming to see the temptations..tp-ain't nobody coming to see you otis,you wish you could work it like me but you can't,there's only one teddy p and without me the temps are just another group in search of a teddy p,i been thnkin,teddy p and the temptations,,otis-that'll never happen..tp-then i'm gone.
That is too funny! LOL! Some kids out here on Long Island did a perfect job of mimicking that scene. When I find it , I will post it.