PDA

View Full Version : Here’s Exactly How Much Money ‘Blurred Lines’ Made!

test

marv2
03-04-2015, 03:11 PM
http://time.com/3731556/blurred-lines-profits/

An ongoing trial reveals the money haul for 2013's big hit

How much money a song makes for its performers, producers and writers is typically a secret, but the ongoing copyright lawsuit involving “Blurred Lines” has revealed the dollar amounts that Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and T.I. walked away with thanks to their 2013 hit.

“Blurred Lines” made $16,675,690 in profits, according to an accounting statement both sides of the lawsuit agree with. Of that, $5,658,214 went to Thicke — a lot of money for someone who testified that he was drunk and high on Vicodin in the studio and didn’t really help write the song. $5,153,457 went to Pharrell Williams [[who has said it was Thicke’s voice that made the song what it was), $707,774 went to T.I. and the rest went to the various record companies behind the songs, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The numbers came to light as a result of a lawsuit from Marvin Gaye’s family, which alleges that “Blurred Lines” infringes on the copyright of Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up” and that the family is therefor entitled to part of its profits, Thicke’s touring money and actual damages.

soulster
03-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Damn! We're all in the wrong business! We should be trying to write a hit single!

marv2
03-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Damn! We're all in the wrong business! We should be trying to write a hit single!

You got that s^&t right

midnightman
03-04-2015, 05:34 PM
That surely makes Taylor Swift's arguments about not getting paid on streaming very wrong because I didn't know writing a song give you all that money... dayum...

marv2
03-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Check this out y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhr3XL78mk8

marv2
03-04-2015, 06:02 PM
How's this for irony........Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" was released on March 15, 1977.

Robin Thicke was born on March 10, 1977 !!!

luke
03-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Wow..spooky! I sure hope his family gets at least 5 million. Thicke has thrown his career in the toilet over this and his boorish behavior though I really never understood his appeal. His mother has the pipes. I wonder how much got to give it up made!

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Wow..spooky! I sure hope his family gets at least 5 million. Thicke has thrown his career in the toilet over this and his boorish behavior though I really never understood his appeal. His mother has the pipes. I wonder how much got to give it up made!

They would get all the money if it were up to me! Marvin Gaye and artists of his generation never made that kind of money in totality!

Luke, you inbox is full again btw!

midnightman
03-04-2015, 08:45 PM
How's this for irony........Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" was released on March 15, 1977.

Robin Thicke was born on March 10, 1977 !!!

That IS ironic! :o

marv2
03-04-2015, 09:07 PM
That IS ironic! :o

There may be something to that.............

jillfoster
03-04-2015, 11:43 PM
It's just a hook. How many doo-wop songs copied each others' hooks? You guys got to look DEEPER, those two songs are like two different houses painted the same color.

marv2
03-04-2015, 11:46 PM
It's just a hook. How many doo-wop songs copied each others' hooks? You guys got to look DEEPER, those two songs are like two different houses painted the same color.

Jill, listen to that mash up I posted above and then tell me what you think.

marv2
03-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Robin Thicke has said repeatedly in the past that he was influenced by Marvin Gaye's music. He's lastest album, "Paula" has his wife as the central theme. Marvin's "Hear My Dear" had his estranged wife, Anna as it's central theme. Coincidence? Not hardly!

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Jill, listen to that mash up I posted above and then tell me what you think.

I listened to it... and yes.. it definitely is "produced" to mimic Marvin's song. But LEGALLY, you can't copyright a production style, or else Gamble and Huff could have sued Lenny Kravtiz over "It Ain't Over Till It's Over". And like I said, there are a TON of doowop songs that sound alike that way. You got to look at the BONES, the actual STRUCTURE of the song... that's why George Harrison lost in his suit with "He's So Fine", although those songs sound completely different on the surface. Expert musicologists have weighed in on this already, and say Gaye's kids don't have a prayer to win in court. They are being taken advantage of by attorneys, and you can bet your ass they ain't working on contingency!

bradsupremes
03-05-2015, 12:59 AM
I listened to it... and yes.. it definitely is "produced" to mimic Marvin's song. But LEGALLY, you can't copyright a production style, or else Gamble and Huff could have sued Lenny Kravtiz over "It Ain't Over Till It's Over". And like I said, there are a TON of doowop songs that sound alike that way. You got to look at the BONES, the actual STRUCTURE of the song... that's why George Harrison lost in his suit with "He's So Fine", although those songs sound completely different on the surface. Expert musicologists have weighed in on this already, and say Gaye's kids don't have a prayer to win in court. They are being taken advantage of by attorneys, and you can bet your ass they ain't working on contingency!

I'm with Jillfoster. Simplify it. Remove the effects, the beat, the instrumentation, etc. All that should be left are the chords, melodies and lyrics. Play them on a piano. They are two different songs. Yes, Robin copied the "sound" of "Got To Give It Up," but you can't copyright a sound and claim it as yours. If that's the case, Motown could have sued every soul and R&B record that used its sound and style. Motown would have gone bankrupt if it did. I just don't see how the Gaye family can win this. They're not the same song.

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:06 AM

"Earth Angel" and "In the Still of the Night" had the exact same background vocal arrangements ,but this is different. I cannot think of one person that heard the Robin Thicke/Pharrell Williams song and didn't immediately think of Marvin Gaye's " I Got to Give it Up"!

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:10 AM
Check this out. This Blurred Lines case is NOT the first time Robin Thicke has stolen from Marvin Gaye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lulD8Ulshsw

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:12 AM
If he'd steal from Marvin once, he'd steal from him again and he did! To him I guess he believed that Marvin has been gone so long that no one would remember Marvin's original music. Bad calculation on his part because there are millions still around that do.............

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 01:20 AM
I know, Marv, but it ain't illegal. He goes right up to the line, but he don't cross it. Listen to the intros to these two songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjMtqpGBw

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 01:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4TlmK32KeQ

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Listened to them both. Vaguely similar except that Jay & the Techniques opening is noticeably slower, while the Supremes intro has a heavier rhythm sound to it and is faster.

check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBFhZLyn9Y

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:37 AM
I've had my original work stolen from me before legally [[up to a point LOL!) and the person has been profiting from it now for 16+ years, so I am sensitive to this subject.

I love music and I loved the music of the 50s - 90s roughly the most because much of it was original! If Robin T. is truly talented then he should come up with his own original style, sound and songs.

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:39 AM
Man....if Marvin Gaye were alive, this would be much worst. He'd not only blow a gasket, but he would sue the hell out of everyone involved in this charade!

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 01:48 AM
I saw that interview... it's too bad that he's gonna lose. I honestly believe that most everyone who think it's plagiarism doesn't know how to read music. When does it go from being an "homage" to being a ripoff? It's a tough question. He's said many times he idolizes Marvin. And you want a double whammy..... I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDgr9hob74

Produced by Johnny Rivers, BTW.

bradsupremes
03-05-2015, 01:52 AM
Marv, I still think you're coming at this from a surface level. You're focusing too much on the sound. You have to go back to the basics and the essence of what a song truly is. A song is chord structure, melody and lyric [[if the song calls for it). From there you build on what style and sound the song should be. If you were to take "Blurred Lines" and turn it into ballad, would it still sound like "Got To Give It Up?" You could spin "Blurred Lines" into a Broadway style or a bluegrass vibe. It's all about basics. If "Blurred Lines" had a chord and melodic structure identical to "Got To Give It Up" then the Gaye family has a good leg to stand on in winning this, but it doesn't.

Listen to isolated vocals on both songs. Do you hear anything remotely identical in chord or melodic structure to "Got To Give It Up?"

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:55 AM
Jill if the point you are making above is how much Al Wilson's recording sounds like a Marvin Gaye recording. This is the one that takes the cake, so much so that Motown signed JJ Barnes and then for all intents and purposes...........silenced him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n82CFE7Fdc

soulster
03-05-2015, 03:43 AM
Man....if Marvin Gaye were alive, this would be much worst. He'd not only blow a gasket, but he would sue the hell out of everyone involved in this charade!

Or, he might have been so flattered that he would preform the song at his concerts. Marvin was unpredictable.

soulster
03-05-2015, 03:46 AM
You have to go back to the basics and the essence of what a song truly is. A song is chord structure, melody and lyric [[if the song calls for it). From there you build on what style and sound the song should be.

But, "Blurred Lines", and a crapload of other songs throughout history, started with the rhythm.

bradsupremes
03-05-2015, 09:12 AM
But, "Blurred Lines", and a crapload of other songs throughout history, started with the rhythm.

Doesn't mean they are the same song though. This is a case of a song sounding too much like another song, but when you break it down and analyze it...they are not the same.

luke
03-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Please Mr postman and mashed potato time wernt same either and I never thought they were yet jobete won the rights!!

soulster
03-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Doesn't mean they are the same song though. This is a case of a song sounding too much like another song, but when you break it down and analyze it...they are not the same.

They are rhythmically similar, and enough people keep mistaking it for Gaye's song. That may be enough to convince a judge or jury, or anyone who secretly doesn't like "Blurred Lines" because of the percieved crassness in it.

marv2
03-05-2015, 12:20 PM
I believe if the Gaye-Gordy family can show a pattern of Robin Thicke "borrowing" from Marvin Gaye's original works, that they could be successful with their lawsuit regarding "Blurred Lines".

nysister
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM

Dang!
soulster, I co-wrote a wedding song years ago, and now I am encouraged to pull it out and get a copywrite....lol!

marv2
03-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Dang!
soulster, I co-wrote a wedding song years ago, and now I am encouraged to pull it out and get a copywrite....lol!

Do it Sister!

skooldem1
03-05-2015, 12:39 PM
You posted the video of "Million Dolla Baby" and then said the following, which is totally inaccurate. Marvin Gaye was listed in the song credits. He received a writing credit for this song. Nothing was stolen.

If he'd steal from Marvin once, he'd steal from him again and he did! To him I guess he believed that Marvin has been gone so long that no one would remember Marvin's original music. Bad calculation on his part because there are millions still around that do.............

marv2
03-05-2015, 12:49 PM
You posted the video of "Million Dolla Baby" and then said the following, which is totally inaccurate. Marvin Gaye was listed in the song credits. He received a writing credit for this song. Nothing was stolen.

Saying, I stole this from you, doesn't change the fact that he stole it and did not create it originally. It would have been impossible to ask Marvin, the man who created "Trouble Man" for permission!

skooldem1
03-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Saying, I stole this from you, doesn't change the fact that he stole it and did not create it originally. It would have been impossible to ask Marvin, the man who created "Trouble Man" for permission!

That makes no sense at all.

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
That makes no sense at all.

Look man, these kids need to learn to be original, create their own shit and stop borrowing from others or music in this country is doomed!

midnightman
03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Or, he might have been so flattered that he would preform the song at his concerts. Marvin was unpredictable.

I agree. I think Stevie Wonder said something to the point that he felt the Gaye family was doing Marvin a disservice by going after Robin and 'em.

midnightman
03-05-2015, 01:54 PM

If I'm right, didn't he also get credit for that song from Love After War which sampled After the Dance?

My opinion on the matter has changed somewhat [[again). I now see what Pharrell meant by "feel". Can you imagine Prince suing Mark Ronson for Uptown Funk?

ralpht
03-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Musicians in my age group can tell you of the ubiquitous 1-6mi-4-5 chord progression that was found in most Do-
Wop songs. Nobody did any suing for the use of that chord scheme which was so easy to hear.

marv2
03-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Musicians in my age group can tell you of the ubiquitous 1-6mi-4-5 chord progression that was found in most Do-
Wop songs. Nobody did any suing for the use of that chord scheme which was so easy to hear.

Ralph, musicians in your/our age range knew how to read, write and play music. That is not the case today. Today they just simply borrow and sample from others.

marv2
03-05-2015, 09:21 PM

Why do you suppose Robin Thicke went in advance, before a judge and had Declaratory judgements filed? Why did he do that if he knows he did nothing wrong?

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Jill if the point you are making above is how much Al Wilson's recording sounds like a Marvin Gaye recording. This is the one that takes the cake, so much so that Motown signed JJ Barnes and then for all intents and purposes...........silenced him!

No, Marv... that Al Wilson song is "Back In My Arms Again", then fades into Four Tops.

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 11:13 PM
B.B. King said in an interview back in the 90's... "I don't think anybody steals anything, all of us borrow"

marv2
03-05-2015, 11:17 PM
No, Marv... that Al Wilson song is "Back In My Arms Again", then fades into Four Tops.

Oh ok, I didn't think about those two. I will listen again.

jillfoster
03-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Ralph, musicians in your/our age range knew how to read, write and play music. That is not the case today. Today they just simply borrow and sample from others.

In reality, they did it then, too Marv... look how when the Beatles went psychadelic, then so did everyone else. The Bee Gees sold however many millions of records with disco, and then even Ethel Merman did it. People been copying and jumping on bandwagons since the beginning of time. Also, we've dang near gotten to the point where there is nothing else to do. It's all been done before.

soulster
03-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Nobody did any suing for the use of that chord scheme which was so easy to hear.

George Harrison was sued in 1971 over his song "My Sweet Lord", claiming that he ripped it off from "He's So Fine", made popular by The Chiffons.

jillfoster
03-06-2015, 03:07 AM
George Harrison was sued in 1971 over his song "My Sweet Lord", claiming that he ripped it off from "He's So Fine", made popular by The Chiffons.

And he lost. Because although the production is vastly different, too many of the notes are the same.

alexstassi
03-06-2015, 05:04 AM
I admit, when I first heard blurred lines the first thing I said to my mate was "marvin gaye got to give it up"... the blatant influence is there... but its not a copyright infringement.. you can't copyright a style or a groove, If that's the case everyone in the music world today would get their asses sued....... if anything, Blurred lines was a throwback tune...

My sweet lord was a different story because unfortunately the melody of both the song titles are note for note

jobeterob
03-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Very high contingency fee to the plaintiffs lawyer here - 50% to the lawyer!

theboyfromxtown
03-06-2015, 07:48 AM
Value for money...what do you say Rob!

marv2
03-06-2015, 10:37 AM
In reality, they did it then, too Marv... look how when the Beatles went psychadelic, then so did everyone else. The Bee Gees sold however many millions of records with disco, and then even Ethel Merman did it. People been copying and jumping on bandwagons since the beginning of time. Also, we've dang near gotten to the point where there is nothing else to do. It's all been done before.

Jill, but still their songs were original! The Temptations "Psychadelic Shack" didn't sound anything like what the Beatles were producing.

soulster
03-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Jill, but still their songs were original! The Temptations "Psychadelic Shack" didn't sound anything like what the Beatles were producing.

Motown was still influenced by the Beatles, Beach Boys, and other psychedelica of the era. That is undeniable.

midnightman
03-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Marvin's family wants $25 million: their lawyer during their closing arguments

soulster
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/blurred-lines-trial-jury-hears-closing-arguments-case-n318451