PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes performing Stoned Love in Japan

test

midnightman
03-03-2015, 10:49 PM
From 1973:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDxzzcxchXQ

Love Jean's voice here. This lineup was tight for as long as it lasted. Y'all better sang it...

antceleb12
03-03-2015, 10:55 PM
That whistle note beginning at :11 is TIGHT.

2:21 is pure bliss.

Jean knocks this one out of the ballpark.

Mary and Lynda could be a little stronger with their tone and blend, but otherwise good.

I don't like the sped-up tempo, but the key change is great.

The ending, though, is my favorite. One of my favorite tags!

midnightman
03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
^ Yeah I live for Jean in this performance. I agree, it's a bit too fast lol

I think the whistle note was Lynda's, no? :)

antceleb12
03-04-2015, 12:34 AM
^ Yeah I live for Jean in this performance. I agree, it's a bit too fast lol

I think the whistle note was Lynda's, no? :)

I would imagine. Mary's voice, while quite lovely, doesn't have the same bell-like resonance Cindy and Lynda had in their 'soprano' ranges.

detmotownguy
03-04-2015, 03:14 AM
There is a certain unique quality abt Mary's voice that seems to tie things together. I missed it on the later Sups recordings. Jean hits it outta the park on this one. The sweetness if her voice is so pleasing and different. She can sing!

REDHOT
03-04-2015, 03:18 AM
The Supremes Mary Jean and Lynda sound great on the whole,Live in Japan Album,they blend well together.

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:04 AM
They always seem to speed up the performance of their hits in those days which is why I really enjoy how Mary Wilson performs songs like "Stoned Love" in her concerts today. Her musicians stick to the original arrangements and Mary with the original lyrics and it sounds great!

detmotownguy
03-05-2015, 11:59 PM
She sticks to the original arrangement on Nathan Jones too!

Ryon6
03-06-2015, 12:05 AM
They always seem to speed up the performance of their hits in those days which is why I really enjoy how Mary Wilson performs songs like "Stoned Love" in her concerts today. Her musicians stick to the original arrangements and Mary with the original lyrics and it sounds great!

Mary doesn't perform "Stoned Love" or "Nathan Jones" in concert and I've seen her at least 5 times in the last 5 years. I've attended her jazz concert, her tribute show to Lena Horne and her oldies concert - no 70s Supremes recordings!

detmotownguy
03-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Wrong. I have seen her perform both songs twice. But yes I agree that 70's songs are not the focus. Too bad cause she does a bang up job. Her background singers sound really good. When she does the "hoo hoo" background it is like the original recording; very surreal.

midnightman
03-06-2015, 04:28 AM
She performed it in the '80s but I don't know about recent? Unless she gets requests to do them or something?

marv2
03-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Mary doesn't perform "Stoned Love" or "Nathan Jones" in concert and I've seen her at least 5 times in the last 5 years. I've attended her jazz concert, her tribute show to Lena Horne and her oldies concert - no 70s Supremes recordings!

She sang it [["Stoned Love") for me at her seaside show at Coney Island.

marv2
03-06-2015, 10:34 AM

She doesn't do Supremes songs in her Lena Horne show and only sings "My World Is Empty Without You" in her "Up Close" jazz concerts.

mwmr
03-06-2015, 06:51 PM

On her UK tour 3 years ago... Mary performed , in full, Nathan Jones, Floy Joy, Bad Weather and Stoned Love- in their original arrangements

Ryon6
03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
That was 3 years ago. Marv stated "which is why I really enjoy how Mary Wilson performs songs like "Stoned Love" in her concerts today".

rod_rick
03-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Is there a clip of Mary singing Stoned Love from that UK tours 3 years ago ? of so can you post a link thanks

supremester
03-06-2015, 10:12 PM
She sang "Bad Weather" for me at her Up Close Show at Feinsteins.

She doesn't do Supremes songs in her Lena Horne show and only sings "My World Is Empty Without You" in her "Up Close" jazz concerts.