PDA

View Full Version : M25 DVD & Show.

test

nathanj06
02-28-2015, 10:02 AM
It's been almost 32 years and to this day what I thought was going to be a remarkable show turned bittersweet very quickly at the end. There were amazing moments but I can't help feeling the moments that weren't so great. Those for me were the mere seconds given to Mary Wells, Martha Reeves and Junior Walker. Basically that is what was given to The Supremes but for another reason we all know about. I didn't need to see a dance sequence to "I Want You". I would have rather seen the artists perform entire songs. To me it looked like a slap in the face to these three wonderful artists who made a major contribution. Martha should have been the one singing "Dancing In The Street".

Having bought the 3-disc DVD out of curiosity only, this too was a disappointment. It was edited. The most obvious being when Berry "threw" up his fists and extended his palms to Diana. Cut. Suzanne's crafty work no doubt. As much as I love 'What's Going On", I didn't need to see an entire segment devoted to the "making of" it. The best roundtable was with Duke, Smokey and Otis. I could listen to their stories forever. But as far as "everybody" coming back, we all know they didn't. I understood what a tough job it was for Suzanne and company to pull this off but so much was missing and filled in with other clutter. Finally at the end the disappointment was confirmed. Excited as I was to see The Supremes, my heart sank instead. Not knowing why until it hit the news.

After all the years and all the information that has become available to everyone, for the most part, I am even disappointed with this DVD. The roundtable with Suzanne and the producers segment was interesting but it felt as if you could tell she was coloring over chosen pieces of information and not presenting the full picture. I don't consider that bonus material as it looked like someone filming chit chat amongst old friends. I don't know what all is on the 6 disc set but I'll pass. May 16, 1983 was enough.

I'll always listen to my Motown music but I also learned to keep it in perspective. I don't care who did or who said what 50 years ago. I don't care about all this negative and crazy Supremes fan madness. Or should I say obsession? Don't get it. Don't want to. The original group was priceless and the songs speak for themselves. To still hear them at any time, anywhere, to me is the major focus of the achievements and contributions made by some very remarkable people. That is what I feel is "Forever".

Please keep in mind I'm just voicing my opinion and not here to start another war. I know this subject has been done many times over the years but it's interesting to know how other's feel about it now.

jobeterob
02-28-2015, 02:02 PM
I enjoyed it but only watched it once - I me I only watched the new stuff once!

jobeterob
02-28-2015, 02:24 PM
I enjoyed it but only watched it once - I mean I only watched the new stuff once!

jobeterob
02-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Oh well, on holidays on a phone on a Hawaii beach and a whale jumped!

stephanie
02-28-2015, 04:22 PM
What I dont seem to understand is these people [[especially DePasse who has had numerous tv and movie successes) KNOW what the fans want. Without revealing company secrets they can give us filming of recording sessions, and interviews regarding certain songs and people. I could go so far to say that they could do vignettes on Shorty Long, The Elgins, and other groups at Motown that were not A listers but do a whole CD on them I think the public would like it. In Standing in the Shadows of Motown we know about Jamerson and his drinking they dont have to whitewash everything. Heck they could have talked about the problems they had with Flo and they say hey but look at this performance like when the mic almost fell on You Cant Do That and she stopped it from falling. Everybody talks about Marvin Gayes demons and his art. Heck they could have interviewed Cal of the Velvelettes and show clips of them and how they had jobs and didnt hit the bigtime for whatever reason. There is SO much they could have done they should let Soulful Detroit members pick and choose what to do WE could do a better job. I dont want to hear that old fuss about the general public doesnt care about that yes they do! If that were not the case there would not be such a success with with programs like UNSUNG, Whatever Happened to ....
or anything like that. Motown 50 and the broadway play and they STILL dont give us things on the DVD that would be worth the purchase. SHEESH they know what to do they just dont do it. Its all about the money not the fans.

arr&bee
02-28-2015, 04:30 PM
They should have had the motown artist[not that no talent clown-adam ant]due a medley and at some point sing one of thier classic songs,that would've been motown at it's best.

stephanie
02-28-2015, 05:21 PM
You know what at Motown 25 if Gladys Horton had been there, if they let Martha sing her WHOLE song and let Jr Walker do his whole song I would have been happy. OH and no Adam Ant! Linda Ronstadt I could see her being there she had a hit with Smokeys song...

midnight johnny
02-28-2015, 10:32 PM
My disappointed sentiments echoed in all your posts. And I am really ticked at TJ for NOT airing something in the original show. After Marvin sings "What's Going On", there should have been a clip of Marvin and Tammi. I don't know why he left it out. And he also cut out the show's intro dance number. Not happy, TJ...yet again.

carole cucumber
03-01-2015, 12:13 AM
My disappointed sentiments echoed in all your posts. And I am really ticked at TJ for NOT airing something in the original show. After Marvin sings "What's Going On", there should have been a clip of Marvin and Tammi. I don't know why he left it out. And he also cut out the show's intro dance number. Not happy, TJ...yet again.

I'm not here to defend TJ's omissions but I can PARTIALLY understand why this happened. To sell the show as an independent to various public tv stations across the country, the pressure was on TJ to allow the stations to receive 'revenue' from sales of the dvd's & cd's. To accomplish this meant constant pledge breaks. Precious time [[and regrettably, cherished moments) had to be sliced down. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a devil of a time trying to make as much fit in the limited time he had for actual broadcast moments from Motown 25.
It appears to me that TJ selected moments from Motown 25 that featured the artists most likely known by the general public. Of course, he felt he had to begin with his beloved Miracles and end with the Supremes & the all-sing finale. Including the intro dance number would have meant cutting out some other portion- shortening or cutting out someone else's performance. But whose should he/could he choose?
One thing I did notice [[and I wonder whose idea it was..Smokey's, hers, Suzanne's, someone else's) ... When Linda Ronstadt joined Smokey for the Ooh Baby Baby duet, her eyes and facial gestures seemed patterned after those often used by Tammi during her duets with Marvin.
TJ is having an after party at his Facebook Page which will welcome comments & questions. Perhaps you might want to express your feelings there and let him respond.

luke
03-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Well said Stephanie!

tjl
03-01-2015, 02:01 AM
I hear ya midnight - there's lots of reasons for things - I'm sorry you were dissapointed. Now that I think about, we should have had the Marvelettes tune "Boy From Crosstown" on the set - - the good news, if the masses take to the show - - I have many plans in mind.

Your feedback is always welcomed.

supremester
03-01-2015, 02:12 AM
I agree with everyone here but remember: Motown 25 was an entertainment special - not a primmer on Motown. Nothing was owed to anyone except advertisers who were promised ratings. My assistant watched it because Adam Ant was on it - seriously. So we got him, Linda Ronstadt and others who, IMHO, wasted valuable time. Martha, Mary & Jr Walker were given snippets because they were no longer relevant to the current scene. I'd have given Martha 5 minutes at least as her hits survived their decade better than Queen Mary's [[other than My Guy, natch.) I would have loved 5 min from JR Walker and SOME sort of representation from The Marvelettes. I'd have given Brenda, Kim, The Contours & Spinners each 30 seconds - to do their big hit on Motown. All the Motown fans would watch anyway - Adam Ant and such were wisely put it to attract those that would not have tuned in otherwise. It was all about ratings and nothing else.
I don't think Suzanne DePasse wants to discuss Flo's issues - she had no personal interaction with her to speak of anyway and everyone who cares knows the truth. As far as the shove, etc, I'm guessing Depasse doesn't want her special to be known for the bad stuff that happened, the drug use backstage that led to the DR&TS debacle. She has spoken out in general terms about Mary's behavior and how it provoked Diana, Cindy spilled the beans about the soundcheck and now she's got an interview coming ut in one of the new books that isn't flattering to Mary. I'm sure suzanne just wants to sell product and protect the Motown 25 brand. I'm not saying it's what I prefer, but, I do understand the thought process.

supremester
03-01-2015, 03:11 AM
I think you did a great job - I think the box set is well sequenced. The show was great and Mary & Martha really brought it home. Both are very entertaining personalities - great choice!

I hear ya midnight - there's lots of reasons for things - I'm sorry you were dissapointed. Now that I think about, we should have had the Marvelettes tune "Boy From Crosstown" on the set - - the good news, if the masses take to the show - - I have many plans in mind.

theboyfromxtown
03-01-2015, 06:23 AM

Oh my gawd......really!

I'm loving these videos on your Facebook site

theboyfromxtown
03-01-2015, 06:37 AM
Oh well, on holidays on a phone on a Hawaii beach and a whale jumped!

LOL You can say that again......

Jimi LaLumia
03-01-2015, 06:41 AM
this is why Beatles fans are lucky that the longed for Beatles reunion never happened..McCartney and Lennon crossing swords would have been much uglier than anything that happened during "25".. some things are better left as memories

ralpht
03-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the show. I was expecting to see it in it's entirety instead of what was offered in between all the annoying breaks so PBS could pass the hat once again. I understand their need for funds but also remember when PBS boasted about "Commercial Free" television and limited fund raising to a week or so, once a year. It was at this time that I gratefully sent in my check to show my appreciation. I no longer give PBS my financial support since I can barely watch anything without the countless interruptions to pass the hat.

So what I saw was a fragmented offering of the actual show referring to what wasn't shown as "bonus scenes". And I got a three second glimpse of my brother where his name wasn't even shown.

TJ, you guys have a very good reputation for doing quality work, but in this case, I'm sorry to say, the ball was dropped.

bradsupremes
03-01-2015, 09:33 AM
I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the show. I was expecting to see it in it's entirety instead of what was offered in between all the annoying breaks so PBS could pass the hat once again. I understand their need for funds but also remember when PBS boasted about "Commercial Free" television and limited fund raising to a week or so, once a year. It was at this time that I gratefully sent in my check to show my appreciation. I no longer give PBS my financial support since I can barely watch anything without the countless interruptions to pass the hat.

So what I saw was a fragmented offering of the actual show referring to what wasn't shown as "bonus scenes". And I got a three second glimpse of my brother where his name wasn't even shown.

TJ, you guys have a very good reputation for doing quality work, but in this case, I'm sorry to say, the ball was dropped.

I love PBS, but what I don't understand is how programs like American Experience, Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, American Masters, etc. can be shown with little to no pledge drive breaks, yet whenever a special program like Motown 25 is aired they edit it to the point it's mostly highlights rather than the actual broadcast. I understand the breaks are to help raise funds, but they could be limited to two or three quick breaks. I don't want to hear Cousin Brucie talk about the "good old days" or see the same track list listed over and over. Can you imagine if they showed T.C.B.? We'd see the opening number, Diana's "African Vogue" segment, and the end with "The Impossible Dream." Everything else would be the pledge drive. I understand it's to help raise funds for programming, but people won't want to help if all we get are small clips.

woodward
03-01-2015, 09:50 AM
They should have had the motown artist[not that no talent clown-adam ant]due a medley and at some point sing one of thier classic songs,that would've been motown at it's best.

It is tragic that Marv Johnson was not even invited nor mentioned in the documentary. That would have been terrific.

ralpht
03-01-2015, 10:00 AM
I think it would have been smart to show the program in it's entirety. Well, maybe cut out Adam Ant. I never could figure out that one except to think that Ms. DePasse had something to do with it.

So show the first half of the show, take a break and bring out the tin cup, and then go back to the show and show it to completion. There was plenty of time to do this in the three hour allotted time.

The un-shown segment with writers and producers[[ Whitfield, HDH, Mickey Stevenson, Ron Miller and others[[sitting around a grand piano discussing the old days was excellent. I know my brother was interviewed at length and probably had much to offer in what the fans are looking for.

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I think it would have been smart to show the program in it's entirety. Well, maybe cut out Adam Ant. I never could figure out that one except to think that Ms. DePasse had something to do with it.

So show the first half of the show, take a break and bring out the tin cup, and then go back to the show and show it to completion. There was plenty of time to do this in the three hour allotted time.

The un-shown segment with writers and producers[[ Whitfield, HDH, Mickey Stevenson, Ron Miller and others[[sitting around a grand piano discussing the old days was excellent. I know my brother was interviewed at length and probably had much to offer in what the fans are looking for.

I was in my twenties when the show originally aired and even then I could not figure out why Adam Ant was on the program.

ralpht
03-01-2015, 10:12 AM
LOL Marv............

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:24 AM
LOL Marv............

I'm just sayin.............hehehehehe...

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:31 AM
They would have been better off having something like an "Motown All Star Band" similar to what Dick Clark used to do at the end of his anniversary specials. That way they could have included folks like Rare Earth, Funk Bros., Marvelettes, Kim Weston, David & Eddie, Contours etc, etc. I'm telling you that woman missed a HUGE opportunity with this show.

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:33 AM
It is tragic that Marv Johnson was not even invited nor mentioned in the documentary. That would have been terrific.

Marv Johnson was a very nice guy the few times I've been around him. He still sang great up until he passed in the mid-90s. Why he wasn't invited? Because he was from Detroit? Where were the Contours?

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
You know what at Motown 25 if Gladys Horton had been there, if they let Martha sing her WHOLE song and let Jr Walker do his whole song I would have been happy. OH and no Adam Ant! Linda Ronstadt I could see her being there she had a hit with Smokeys song...

Steph, they could have cut one of Smokey's multiple songs and include Gladys Horton and many others that built the company.

ralpht
03-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I think some other golden moments were lost by not interviewing a few of the studio audience. I know Pat Cosby was there. She and her talented late husband, Hank, were extremely instrumental in the formative years of Motown. Also, I believe Clay McMurray was in attendance. The two of them would have made for a very good interview. Plus, simply talk to the everyday fan that was there. Another lost opportunity.

carole cucumber
03-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Martha did call upon Pat Cosby, who asked a question. Martha also mentioned Clay, saying that producers were also singers. Several studio audience members did get to ask questions.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1559854470938129

tjl
03-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Last night was a special presentation, a fundraising event for the national kick-off. When the show replays, it's in a two hour window with much shorter pledge breaks. But, shorter breaks don't prove effective in my experience. Like radio - - people come in and out of tv viewing every 3 to 5 to 8 to 10 minutes, then channel surf toother channels on the dial- - so doing one short break in the middle and at the end, often leads to most of the audience sampling, then leaving for channel surfing - resulting in low fundraising. They just don't watch and give that way. And of the 500 channels out there - - most of the greatest moments were on national television and attracted a lot of national media for our music - - poeple now will learn of the great b-sides, album cuts and more from the material on air and online - - this one was about trying to bring in and expose the special to the masses -- - something that has not happened in 32 years on tv, free for all to see.

But, let us remember - - without the pledge breaks, the show wouldn't be on at all - - the stations need the support to keep broadcasting 365 days a year for all they do. The original broadcast had commercial interruption every 5-6 minutes, the main version that will play only has 4 pledge breaks, the added extra material we added at the end was to give more context than just a show/break/show break. The audience tuning in and out needs repetition to get them going to the phones and the cd set with the dvd set was the main motivator. And once pledged, those hours of dvd and cd content come entirely uninterrupted.

Please keep in mind, my goal is to bring much more Motown out of the vaults - - but to get there [[and I mean in a big way) in and out of pledge - - that the show has to work first as a fundraiser for stations. This was not a PBS offer - it's syndicated as a pledge special for stations to ask for support.

I hope this helps explain some things, even if we don't always agree - - it's the same reason we hear "My Girl" instead of "You're Not An Ordinary Girl" on mainstream commercial radio - - people go for familiarity. With this special, I wanted people to go deeper and learn more through the cd sets - - something the masses don't seek as we do....and if successful to create some more custom cd's for the future. Believe me, I'm with you - - but how we get there and the path to get there the way I have with Doo Wop, Ed Sullivan and other classic shows - - is to prove there's an audience out there willing to support what they can basically get over the air for free, or other places on dvd.

Hope this helps -- I take your feedback very seriously.

tjl
03-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Marv Johnson, and a story about him is on the "Philly Motown" feature - - told by Harvey HHoliday about "what-if" something involving Marv, turned out in a very different way...that's on my Facebook page.

There's more stories and many stories to tell - - I promise you I'm working on getting there on-air, on-line and also to tell folks out there how awesome everyone is here....trust me, please.

midnight johnny
03-01-2015, 11:23 AM

The un-shown segment with writers and producers[[ Whitfield, HDH, Mickey Stevenson, Ron Miller and others[[sitting around a grand piano discussing the old days was excellent. I know my brother was interviewed at length and probably had much to offer in what the fans are looking for. Ralph....I totally agree with you.

midnight johnny
03-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Last night was a special presentation, a fundraising event for the national kick-off. When the show replays, it's in a two hour window with much shorter pledge breaks. But, shorter breaks don't prove effective in my experience. Like radio - - people come in and out of tv viewing every 3 to 5 to 8 to 10 minutes, then channel surf toother channels on the dial- - so doing one short break in the middle and at the end, often leads to most of the audience sampling, then leaving for channel surfing - resulting in low fundraising. They just don't watch and give that way. And of the 500 channels out there - - most of the greatest moments were on national television and attracted a lot of national media for our music - - poeple now will learn of the great b-sides, album cuts and more from the material on air and online - - this one was about trying to bring in and expose the special to the masses -- - something that has not happened in 32 years on tv, free for all to see.

But, let us remember - - without the pledge breaks, the show wouldn't be on at all - - the stations need the support to keep broadcasting 365 days a year for all they do. The original broadcast had commercial interruption every 5-6 minutes, the main version that will play only has 4 pledge breaks, the added extra material we added at the end was to give more context than just a show/break/show break. The audience tuning in and out needs repetition to get them going to the phones and the cd set with the dvd set was the main motivator. And once pledged, those hours of dvd and cd content come entirely uninterrupted.

Please keep in mind, my goal is to bring much more Motown out of the vaults - - but to get there [[and I mean in a big way) in and out of pledge - - that the show has to work first as a fundraiser for stations. This was not a PBS offer - it's syndicated as a pledge special for stations to ask for support.

I hope this helps explain some things, even if we don't always agree - - it's the same reason we hear "My Girl" instead of "You're Not An Ordinary Girl" on mainstream commercial radio - - people go for familiarity. With this special, I wanted people to go deeper and learn more through the cd sets - - something the masses don't seek as we do....and if successful to create some more custom cd's for the future. Believe me, I'm with you - - but how we get there and the path to get there the way I have with Doo Wop, Ed Sullivan and other classic shows - - is to prove there's an audience out there willing to support what they can basically get over the air for free, or other places on dvd.

Hope this helps -- I take your feedback very seriously. TJ....thanks for your response. Believe me....doing a show on non-commercial radio as I do, I understand the need to set aside time for pledge drives and to focus some on the more popular so as to draw in listeners/viewers. But we have a most unique opportunity to do some sharing and teaching with listeners who love Motown, but who are less familiar with so many of the elements and people of Motown that were the unsung pillars of the company. M25, the Suzanne De Passe production, was a great disappointment to me and others because so many less known but very important artists, writers and producers were treated shabbily with little or no attention. YOU did briefly address some of them, which I was glad about.....but you had the opportunity to do more....and, sadly, you didn't. TJ....I appreciate that you and those involved in your many productions work so hard to bring the great music of our lives back to us in your unique way.....it can't be easy. And the mass appeal aspect I understand is important. But I'm sure many in your audience, like myself, who KNOW the music would appreciate you digging a little deeper into the history of the music that we love so much. Maybe take a lesson from Ken Burns, who's productions shown on PBS understand the significance of the historic nature of the subjects he presents. Thank you for what you do. John PS.....that Marvin and Tammi clip from the original M25 really should have been played.

ralpht
03-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I hope you realize we are in your corner, TJ.

motown01
03-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Hey TJ!

I thought the show was great. I was watching with some friends who aren't necessarily Motown fanatics like myself and other members here and they really enjoyed the whole program. You covered all of the highlights - and I think it's pretty cool that my question to Martha made it to air :)

Thank you. It was such a great experience and so much fun!

Billy

marv2
03-01-2015, 01:09 PM
I hope you realize we are in your corner, TJ.

Oh most definitely! He knows that.

ralpht
03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
TJ's cred is unquestionable here.

Jimi LaLumia
03-01-2015, 06:21 PM
in regard to Adam Ant..
in the first half of the 80's, NEW WAVE was huge and 'in'
the Brit duo Soft Cell had incorporated "Where Did Our Love Go"[[the Motown connection) into the extended version of their hit cover of Gloria Jones' "Tainted Love", a national U.S.hit..
Marc Almond was not in America, Adam was, nursing a damaged ankle during a U.S. tour.. NBC thought 'new wave' cred would bring the kids,DePasse agreed, and Adam was an MTV star at the time, and MJ's label mate at Epic.. so yes, it did make sense at the time..and Adam bravely hobbled around on his injured leg..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srtuQU20QXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0MrHvgwKBw

theboyfromxtown
03-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Hey TJ!

I thought the show was great. I was watching with some friends who aren't necessarily Motown fanatics like myself and other members here and they really enjoyed the whole program. You covered all of the highlights - and I think it's pretty cool that my question to Martha made it to air :)

Thank you. It was such a great experience and so much fun!

Billy

Billy - did you see yourself in that clip of the Detroit gathering. It featured Martha mostly but Mary was included too. I saw Mrs Cosby, Clay McMurray, David Yellen, Deborah Stubbs Florence's family...I would have loved to have been there

motown01
03-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Billy - did you see yourself in that clip of the Detroit gathering. It featured Martha mostly but Mary was included too. I saw Mrs Cosby, Clay McMurray, David Yellen, Deborah Stubbs Florence's family...I would have loved to have been there

I did - of course, I had to grab this screenshot too...9215

Roberta75
03-02-2015, 01:12 PM
I did - of course, I had to grab this screenshot too...9215

Look at the First lady of Motown Records dr Martha reeves just beaming with pride anmd joy in this photo. Marthas motowns greatest ambassaddor imo. I love this great lady.

Fondly,

Roberta

carole cucumber
03-02-2015, 02:55 PM
in regard to Adam Ant..
in the first half of the 80's, NEW WAVE was huge and 'in'...... Adam was, nursing a damaged ankle during a U.S. tour.. NBC thought 'new wave' cred would bring the kids,DePasse agreed, and Adam was an MTV star at the time, and MJ's label mate at Epic.. so yes, it did make sense at the time..and Adam bravely hobbled around on his injured leg..

I too agree that he was an odd choice, but here's what Adam had to say :

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/interviews/a23915/adam-ant-interview-071513/

ESQ: There's a show on Broadway, Motown: The Musical, that is selling phenomenally well. You performed on the 1983 TV special it's based on. How did that come about?
AA: I have to admit, that was a highlight of my career so far, after the birth of my daughter. On a professional level I couldn't believe it. I think Letterman said at the time, "What was he doing there?" The fact that I got on the show was purely by chance. I met a lovely lady called Suzanne de Passe, who was the president of Motown. Then I got introduced to Berry Gordy and stayed at his house a couple of times. He saw my videos, and the theme of the show was: yesterday, today, and forever. I came in the futuristic part. He liked the videos and said, "I want you on the show. Choose any song you like from the catalogue." And I chose "Baby, Where Did Our Love Go?" I remember standing about ten feet away from Michael Jackson when he did the moonwalk for the first time. Then I had to go on after him, which was a bit of a task. He knocks the world out — "and now, from London, England..." I had a cartilage operation two weeks before the show and if you watch the performance, my knee went so I sit down on the stage before Diana Ross came on — which was totally unannounced — and started dancing with me. When I came off, and I remember Marvin Gaye standing there in a white suit and Smokey Robinson in a black suit and they just put their arms around me and it was astonishing.

Jimi LaLumia
03-02-2015, 06:50 PM
he mostly told the truth, but "Where Did our Love Go' was used because of the worldwide $$$ being generated by the then recent Soft Cell chart topper..as we know, people writing books do embellish things if it suits them.. speaking of 'suits' , Adam's Epic label mate MJ,openly borrowed Adam's 'military' style outfits that Ant wore while conquering the world [[except America) in the early 80's as 'Adam & The Ants'.. once Adam went solo, he sort of 'lost the plot' and Epic America hated him from the get go anyway..and then he was done

carole cucumber
03-02-2015, 07:15 PM
speaking of 'suits' , Adam's Epic label mate MJ,openly borrowed Adam's 'military' style outfits that Ant wore while conquering the world [[except America) in the early 80's as 'Adam & The Ants'.. once Adam went solo, he sort of 'lost the plot' and Epic America hated him from the get go anyway..and then he was done

Adam addressed that in the same interview [[not book) immediately after the Motown 25 question that I posted:

ESQ: What was it like to meet Michael Jackson at the time?
AA: That show was when I first met the Jacksons and got invited to their house by Michael. He had phoned me up at home, very early, around 3 a.m. I thought it was my drummer, Terry, muckin' about. He said, "Hi, it's Michael Jackson." And I went, "Yeah, fk off, Terry!" So he phoned back 10 minutes later, and I said, "Listen," and I put the phone down. Then I got another call, "Hello, this is Quincy Jones. Michael Jackson would like to speak with you." And I said, "Oh, sorry, Quincy." He wanted to ask me about how I got the tom-tom sound on "Kings of the Wild Frontier" and then he asked me where I got my Hussar jacket. So I put him in contact with my friend and Michael came to London and went down and got one. He interpreted it and changed the color. Later I got invited by Suzanne de Passe to visit Michael at his home and I spent a whole day with him. The whole family was there in the kitchen, except his dad — he was upstairs. It was amazing. I remember thinking that La Toya was the most astonishing-looking girl I'd ever seen. They were such a lovely family and they just spent the whole time looking at my clothes that I'd brought, but Michael was very quiet. Very, very, very humble bloke. You know, I think the word genius gets bandied around a lot these days, and I think you can count, for the last century, all the geniuses on one hand, maybe, and I think he's one of them.