PDA

View Full Version : Needle In A......Gown

test

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 05:57 PM

I thought I'd show off my gown skills....a la Stephen Woods. LOLOLOL

They are wearing the gold suits with the pin from when Mrs. Edwards took the girls shopping to buy material from Hudson's in Detroit. A lady from Flint made the suits. They were worn on the Dick Clark tour after Dick heard Needle In A Haystack and called Motown to ask if the girls could be included on the 3 week tour with The Supremes, Dee Dee Sharp, The Crystals, Bobby Freeman, etc. in 1964

How did I do?

Aren't these ladies just wonderful....please agree with me

sophisticated_soul
02-27-2015, 06:10 PM
You did great! The ladies are, indeed, just wonderful!:)

woodward
02-27-2015, 07:02 PM

They are wearing the gold suits with the pin from when Mrs. Edwards took the girls shopping to buy material from Hudson's in Detroit. A lady from Flint made the suits. They were worn on the Dick Clark tour after Dick heard Needle In A Haystack and called Motown to ask if the girls could be included on the 3 week tour with The Supremes, Dee Dee Sharp, The Crystals, Bobby Freeman, etc. in 1964

How did I do?

Absolutely gorgeous. Those were the days. It seems like almost yesterday. I wholeheartedly agree.

Methuselah2
02-27-2015, 07:24 PM
'Doo-da-lang, doo-da-lang'!

Great photo. Wonderful background story.

Tbfxt--you give good gown!

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks for taking an interest guys. I know that there is a need to plough through a plethora of other threads to get here

I feel the Velvelettes are often overlooked, so I do my best to give them a small plug amongst the wealth of accolades for the other female Motown supergroups.

This photo is so rare. Bertha and Norma don't even remember it being taken. Cal had so many photos taken, it's perhaps more understandable why she might not remember it.

westgrandboulevard
02-27-2015, 08:17 PM
After all this time, I wouldn't be too surprised if Cal couldn't remember all the tracks she ever recorded...:)

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 08:38 PM
LOLOL

Poor girl was called out of bed at 2am in the morning...then had to get a taxi to the studio cos there was studio time available.....then back to bed...and then school late that morning. It's no wonder she forgot!

westgrandboulevard
02-27-2015, 08:48 PM
If I were her, I'd be just as confused as to exactly who was singing background on some of those tracks....

And then there was Gail somebody, from Baltimore.....:rolleyes:

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 08:55 PM
You're touching a nerve now my dear! You know Cal doesn't remember her name.

LOL

westgrandboulevard
02-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Let's simply say that The Velvelettes had a Balti in a gale while out on a gig somewhere, and draw a line under it all......

carole cucumber
02-27-2015, 10:21 PM

How did I do?

Mr Xtown,

You did fine! But where is Cal's pin? It should have been much, much easier to find than a needle in a gown ........ or even, a haystack!!!

detmotownguy
02-27-2015, 11:27 PM
Yes you did well...I second that [[e)motion lol! Or is funny you posted this bc I was thinking that they are overlooked and still sound fantastic. Do you know how bist the Girls are today? I saw them sing One of Martha's songs on YouTube and they did a bang up job. Do you have any insight on why they didn't have the longevity of other groups, cause they can sing and seem like real nice ladies?

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Yes you did well...I second that [[e)motion lol! Or is funny you posted this bc I was thinking that they are overlooked and still sound fantastic. Do you know how bist the Girls are today? I saw them sing One of Martha's songs on YouTube and they did a bang up job. Do you have any insight on why they didn't have the longevity of other groups, cause they can sing and seem like real nice ladies?

When I talk to Cal about it, I'm rather proud that she is understanding and accepting of the situation.

The Velvelettes were on a roll after doing so well against the Supremes at the Battle concert on 29 February 1964 but it was short lived because the Supremes stormed past them when Where Did Our Love Go flew up the charts.

The Velvelettes had recorded songs in French at that time which was quite exceptional. Mr Gordy had already been taken down a notch a few months earlier when he foolishly allowed Mickey Stevenson to take There He Goes and make it available for release by an outside company. Whereas Mickey believed in the song, Mr Gordy didn't. Well Mickey was right and the song did far better than he expected. So Mr Gordy prevented Mickey from doing it again and gave the girls a little more attention. One day a postman came into the office and for some reason, Cal spoke a little French to him. Mr Gordy was quite surprised and capitalised on the situation. That led to the French recordings. But I digress...

It's thought that Mr Gordy intentionally paired the Velvelettes with the Supremes but it still came as a surprise to him [[and Smokey) who was also in the audience) that the Velvelettes came out top with the audience.

Nevertheless when WDOLG stormed the music scene, it took Motown all of its energies to keep up with this new found exposure and that took its toll on resources - people as well as money. Although the money was starting to become due, it hadn't got to the bank account. Motown had to be careful how they spent what they had. Mr Gordy told the Velvelettes that Needle In A Haystack saved Motown because that song stopped the company from going bankrupt and it paid the bills including staff salaries. I suspect it wasn't quite THAT bad but it's a nice thing for Mr Gordy to say to the ladies.

When it came to promotion of the Velvelettes, Cal's parents were pretty strict about what they were going to allow their young daughter to do outside school hours but they did agree to an arrangement with Mr Gordy to allow her to perform at the weekend. They also allowed Cal to move to Detroit to stay with relations to help her musical career providing it didn't interfere with her studies. However, when it came to pushing the Velvelettes, all money was first put towards maintaining the Supremes position and the other acts were aware of that. Some were not quite so accepting [[no names! ) and since Cal was very friendly with her older musical sisters, Diane, Flo and Mary - she was just pleased that they were doing so well.

The other Velvelettes were a little more family orientated and not quite so serious about making it in the music world and left or re-joined as and when it was possible. There's a bit more to that part such as some people didn't think it right that mothers should be out on the road but that's perhaps for the Velvelettes to talk about when they feel it appropriate. It was briefly touched on by Milly at the Kalamazoo exhibition so I am not talking out of line.

When the originals all decided to concentrate on their families in mid 1965, Cal recruited 2 new girls as dancers and not singers for recording purposes. However Sandy did have a few aspirations as a singer and she was tried out on a couple of songs. Gail was recruited solely for a tour in early 1966 when the Velvelettes appeared on Where The Action Is....or whatever that show is called. However, Gail tried to take over the group and so her time was restricted to that tour. Cal doesn't even remember her surname now...that's very shocking for someone like me that wants the history preserved!

RIchard Street was adamant that it was the man's role to earn the money and for the wife to stay at home. So eventually, Cal consented to give up her singing and in November 1969 she married Richard. She still has her wedding photograph and I have to say she is absolutely beautiful. They had a son Richard born in October 1972 who is part of the Sons Of Motown group alongside the sons of Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin and David Ruffin and they sing songs made famous by their fathers. I've yet to see them but I hope to soon.

Hope I didn't go on for too long demotownguy...I could talk about them all day!

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Mr Xtown,

You did fine! But where is Cal's pin? It should have been much, much easier to find than a needle in a gown ........ or even, a haystack!!!

Carole

I need to ask Cal that. Mind you, Betty looks like she knows where it is but aint telling!!

carole cucumber
02-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Something that I just took note of in the photo [[after your comment), boyfromxtown.
In the photo, Bertha, Milly and Cal are flashing their bright, beautiful smiles; Norma & Betty have their lips closed [[although Norma looks as if she is holding back and wants to join Bertha, Milly & Cal).
I suspect that either the photographer asked the girls to pose that way or/and..... perhaps there is another reason why Betty looks so serious.
Since you/the Velvelettes have identified the time-frame as 1964, this photo may have been taken very close to the date of a pregnant Annette Beard's departure from Martha & the Vandellas and Betty's becoming her replacement in the group. Betty might have been torn somewhat internally [[hence her expression) about leaving her buddies for a new opportunity , even though she had Cal & the girl's blessing to do so.
Any thoughts from you or the girls????

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Carole....it was 50 years ago! I'll ask Bertha what she thinks. She looks after the history.

captainjames
02-28-2015, 11:05 AM
XTOWN thanks for posting this was very informative.

detmotownguy
02-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks thanks thanks! U mentioned you digressed....heck digress all you want as this was so informative. In fact, you should prob write a book about their history. I saw a recent video performance and vocally they r strong and they look great. Plus all original members! Too bad they suffered tho at the time of the Supremes ascent; maybe if their career was bit more mature things could have been different. At any rate they should be applauded for all their efforts.

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks folks for the kind words.

A few people want to write a book and I am more than happy to help in any way that I can. But I'm not an author, I'm an accountant. So I'll leave it to those who are better able.

detmotownguy
02-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks folks for the kind words.

A few people want to write a book and I am more than happy to help in any way that I can. But I'm not an author, I'm an accountant. So I'll leave it to those who are better able.

Great! You can handle the financial accounting part of the book process! And co-author!

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Great! You can handle the financial accounting part of the book process! And co-author!

By comparison to the other female groups, the Velvelettes history is quite normal and ordinary. Their book is unlikely to be filled with the kind of juicy revelations that make books huge sellers so I think an abacus will suffice for the accounting aspect!

luke
03-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Great info. What about Annette Rogers/ McMillan? Were the Velvelettes considered for Where did Our love go? Wasn't one of them considered to replace Flo?

theboyfromxtown
03-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Yes they were offered WDOLG but they considered it tp "hoighty toighty" whatever that means. [[Hopefully that's by kind permission of the Midnight Johnny Nightflight show)

Norma auditioned for Florence's role but she knew the minute she walked in the room, it wasn't gonna happen for her.

Annette was recruited as a dancer. She didn't record. She died a few years ago and I posted it on here at the time. It was quite sad really. Annette's son came up to Cal at the end of a concert and said..I'm Annette's son - do you remember my mother? Cal was delighted to make contact after so many years ago. But then he told her that his mother had recently passed. Cal was stunned...there's not much you can say in such circumstances.

captainjames
03-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Cal is an outstanding singer, I am surprise Berry did not try and capitalize on that.

Methuselah2
03-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Just thought I'd 'brooch' the subject--

Cal is wearing one in this shot:

Methuselah2
03-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Of course the footage of Cal shoving someone and yanking the brooch out of her hand in order to get it back has never turned up.

Or am I getting my threads mixed up?

detmotownguy
03-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Just thought I'd 'brooch' the subject--

Cal is wearing one in this shot:

Classy photo!

theboyfromxtown
03-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Of course the footage of Cal shoving someone and yanking the brooch out of her hand in order to get it back has never turned up.

Or am I getting my threads mixed up?

Methuselah2......you're in a naughty mood today!

theboyfromxtown
03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Classy photo!

I agree...and thank you Methuslah2 for posting it

marybrewster
03-03-2015, 10:22 AM

How did I do?

You did marvelous! Supreme! But you forgot to cojure up a name for these gowns. And in doing so, you must simply INSIST that these are their "offical" names. Perhaps these are the "Golden Threads and Silver Needles".

;)

carole cucumber
03-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Classy photo!

And from what I've read about them, classy ladies!

RossHolloway
03-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Yes they were offered WDOLG but they considered it tp "hoighty toighty" whatever that means. [[Hopefully that's by kind permission of the Midnight Johnny Nightflight show)

Norma auditioned for Florence's role but she knew the minute she walked in the room, it wasn't gonna happen for her.

Annette was recruited as a dancer. She didn't record. She died a few years ago and I posted it on here at the time. It was quite sad really. Annette's son came up to Cal at the end of a concert and said..I'm Annette's son - do you remember my mother? Cal was delighted to make contact after so many years ago. But then he told her that his mother had recently passed. Cal was stunned...there's not much you can say in such circumstances.

Interesting detail, did Norma provide any more details about this audition and who was in the room? And I thought that by 1967 Norma was done with the music business.