PDA

View Full Version : GET THE CREAM OFF THE TOP-Eddie Kendricks

test

BayouMotownMan
02-27-2015, 11:04 AM
While dealing with the flu down here I've been listening to a lot of vintage albums which takes my mind off the body aches.

One lp I've redicovered is Eddie Kendricks The Hit Man. It's a really good album, I'd forgotten that. The only track on here not produced by Frank Wilson is Get The Cream Off The Top which was done by the Hollands.

This is a kick-ass track. The Hollands brought vintage Motown into the disco era. Eddie sounds pretty good on here even though this was around the time that his voice began to fail him.

What kept the song from being a pop hit were the suggestive lyrics. Pop stations wouldn't play it. It was a big Soul hit however and was played in the discos for months.

sansradio
02-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Woooo, BayouMotownMan, you're hitting me where I LIVE!!! That song is my absolute jam.

marv2
02-27-2015, 01:44 PM
It was quite controversial at the time, hehehehehehe........

BayouMotownMan
02-27-2015, 02:56 PM
It was quite controversial at the time, hehehehehehe........

By today's standards the lyrics are mild, but in 1975 they were quite raunchy. Maybe Marvin Gaye could have pulled it off, but Eddie was not known for something this demonstrative.

A mouth full of love
Is all you've tasted
Without the rest of it
Life can be wasted.

You can take that many different ways...

marv2
02-27-2015, 03:15 PM
By today's standards the lyrics are mild, but in 1975 they were quite raunchy. Maybe Marvin Gaye could have pulled it off, but Eddie was not known for something this demonstrative.

A mouth full of love
Is all you've tasted
Without the rest of it
Life can be wasted.

It was this part that caused snickers around Detroit.......LOL! :

Don't be afraid,
To pleasure yourself.
Can't you remember,
How good it felt?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
BayouMotownMan, I, too, have always loved Eddie Kendricks’ "Get The Cream Off The Top". In fact, I love all of the Holland’s mid-1970's productions upon their return to Motown. In addition to Eddie Kendricks [[off the top of my head):

1. The Supremes [["The Supremes", "High Energy", and "Mary, Scherrie,& Susaye" albums)
2. Diana Ross [["We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again" and "Fire Don’t Burn" tracks)
3. Thelma Houston [["I Can’t Go On Living Without Your Love" track)
4. Michael Jackson - [["Forever Michael" album)
5. Jackson 5 - [["Moving Violation" album)
6. Jr. Walker - [["Hot Shot" album)
7. The Dynamic Superiors - [["Give And Take" album)

Have I left out anybody?

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 04:23 PM

A mouth full of love
Is all you've tasted
Without the rest of it
Life can be wasted.

The line..

Dont be afraid to pleasure yourself

.....that seems pretty explicit to me.

What a track though....love it

reese
02-27-2015, 05:44 PM
I'll have to listen to this song again. I remember liking it as a kid, but the lyrics went right over my head.

BayouMotownMan
02-27-2015, 06:19 PM
G.C. Cameron's excellent You're What's Missing In My Life

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 08:06 PM
I'll have to listen to this song again. I remember liking it as a kid, but the lyrics went right over my head.

Sadly it didn't go over the head of the BBC radio programmers...promotion in the UK was poor.

theboyfromxtown
02-27-2015, 08:07 PM

I have to say....the Supremes nailed that song.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Oh, yeah, BayouMotownMan! That was G.C.'s best Motown album, IMO. How could I forget -- especially when I've been requesting it from Universal and Second Disc Records! Thanks!

soulster
02-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Despite the lyrics, it was still a top 10 soul hit. I love the song, and, by coincidence, I just listened to it last night, that, and "Happy".

"The Hit Man" is my favorite Eddie Kendricks album by far. I'm glad I can now download the lossless version of it.

marv2
02-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Despite the lyrics, it was still a top 10 soul hit. I love the song, and, by coincidence, I just listened to it last night, that, and "Happy".

"The Hit Man" is my favorite Eddie Kendricks album by far. I'm glad I can now download the lossless version of it.

Oh yeah, "Happy" was another popular one from that album. I remember it well......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BREhYxLvnqM

motony
02-28-2015, 11:15 AM
"Get The Cream Off The Top" is my fave Eddie Kendricks solo & "Just A Little Bit of You" is the only Michael Jackson or Jackson 5 record I ever bought.

nabob
03-01-2015, 06:29 PM
In fact, I love all of the Holland’s mid-1970's productions upon their return to Motown. In addition to Eddie Kendricks [[off the top of my head):

1. The Supremes [["The Supremes", "High Energy", and "Mary, Scherrie,& Susaye" albums)
2. Diana Ross [["We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again" and "Fire Don’t Burn" tracks)
3. Thelma Houston [["I Can’t Go On Living Without Your Love" track)
4. Michael Jackson - [["Forever Michael" album)
5. Jackson 5 - [["Moving Violation" album)
6. Jr. Walker - [["Hot Shot" album)
7. The Dynamic Superiors - [["Give And Take" album)

Have I left out anybody?
Please don't forget the Original's California Sunset album from 1975.

theboyfromxtown
03-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Nabob....that was not really the Hollands though.....it was Lamont Dozier. Probably one of the best Motown albums ever.

The Hollands worked with the Four Tops too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAS2oUnHlo

caliluv
03-02-2015, 12:23 AM
I just revisited Eddie Kendricks' "Slick" album. This lp slipped by me. When I got the Caston & Majors cd I listed listened to the Slick lp Leonard Caston was a part of Eddie's lps "People...Hold On", "Eddie Kendrics" self titled lp and Eddie's "Boogie Down" lp. I've been a fan of Leonard Caston's music for quite some time since I used to see his name on a lot of Chicago recordings. He produced this lp. Needless to say, I absolutely love this cd and I've been playing it on a regular basis