PDA

View Full Version : The Shorty Long Story!

test

marv2
02-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Here is a great comprehensive profile on Shorty Long a Motown Artist that does not get as much play on the forum as he surely deserves..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HEhZiAU46o

Ryon6
02-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Ahhh, that was GREAT Marv. Thanks a lot. I really enjoyed that. I figured the Spinners contributed to the background but had no idea that Henry Fambrough was the voice of the judge. I love his version of "I Had A Dream". Don't understand why that record was not a smash, especially after being released after the deaths of MLK and RFK. Thanks again. Btw, if Mike Boone, Chancellor of Soul, could do the same with Scherrie Payne.

marv2
02-22-2015, 01:11 AM
Ahhh, that was GREAT Marv. Thanks a lot. I really enjoyed that. I figured the Spinners contributed to the background but had no idea that Henry Fambrough was the voice of the judge. I love his version of "I Had A Dream". Don't understand why that record was not a smash, especially after being released after the deaths of MLK and RFK. Thanks again. Btw, if Mike Boone, Chancellor of Soul, could do the same with Scherrie Payne.

Ryon, you are very welcome. It, "I Had A Dream" did get radio play on one of our local station during that time and for the exact reason you mentioned.

nabob
02-22-2015, 10:21 AM
One of my favorite memories of Shorty Long's music came from a college party in 1972. Function at the Junction was playing and the neighbors cut the electricity due to the noise. The room was full of folks from all around the country. Nobody missed a beat in continuing to sing the lyrics and dance without the music. I was amazed that so many people from different parts of the country would remember that "old" song from 1968, which had only been a modest hit.

thomas96
02-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Man Shorty Long had it cookin all through. Night Fo Last [[vocal album version) remains one of may all time favorite tracks. Good stuff, Marv.

thomas96
02-22-2015, 03:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC7FYAc6TY

This version.

marv2
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Man Shorty Long had it cookin all through. Night Fo Last [[vocal album version) remains one of may all time favorite tracks. Good stuff, Marv.

I loved "Night Fo Last" and "Devil With the Blue Dress"! Shorty Long was the TRUTH!

Roger Polhill
02-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks Marv. Shorty Long is one of my favourite Motown artists. I always look forward to getting more of his unreleased tracks which sadly must be coming to an end. A great artist very dearly missed. "Here Comes The Judge" and his rarities CD are never far from my player.

marv2
02-22-2015, 07:50 PM
You are most welcome Roger. Shorty Long fits the bill of Unsung Hero of Motown. Talented man. Gone way too soon.

theboyfromxtown
02-22-2015, 07:56 PM
His records always filled me with joy. Still do.

theboyfromxtown
02-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Freddie Gorman is solo on Stranded In The Jungle.....saying...meanwhile back in the jungle/city

marv2
02-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Freddie Gorman is solo on Stranded In The Jungle.....saying...meanwhile back in the jungle/city

Theboyfromxtown. Start a thread on Freddie Gorman. He would make an excellent subject here.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Marv. I've always loved both of Shorty's Motown albums. One of my favorite party tracks that no one has mentioned is "Don't Mess With My Weekend". That sucker really cooks! The Andantes were busy gettin' down, too!

marv2
02-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Marv. I've always loved both of Shorty's Motown albums. One of my favorite party tracks that no one has mentioned is "Don't Mess With My Weekend". That sucker really cooks! The Andantes were busy gettin' down, too!

You are very welcome Gary!

detmotownguy
02-23-2015, 12:25 AM
You are most welcome Roger. Shorty Long fits the bill of Unsung Hero of Motown. Talented man. Gone way too soon.
Yes yes yes Marv...now Shorty fits the guidelines for Unsung!

marv2
02-23-2015, 12:30 AM
Yes yes yes Marv...now Shorty fits the guidelines for Unsung!

Yep! Now he would be one that I would vote for to have an episode on the series.

Roger Polhill
02-23-2015, 10:04 PM
I used to hope that there would be a Shorty Long album of Fats Domino songs on some lost tape. That`s hardly likely now.

marv2
02-24-2015, 12:16 AM
I used to hope that there would be a Shorty Long album of Fats Domino songs on some lost tape. That`s hardly likely now.

That would have made the perfect concept album for Shorty.

honest man
02-26-2015, 05:04 PM
I used to hope that there would be a Shorty Long album of Fats Domino songs on some lost tape. That`s hardly likely now.Roger that would have been a wonderful project,cheers.

imnokid
02-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Bettye was kind when she left her experience with him out of her book.

marv2
02-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Bettye was kind when she left her experience with him out of her book.

I am going to guess she made the right choice in doing that. She is such a right on lady!

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2015, 07:01 PM
That's mighty respectful of Miss Bettye.

It's not nice to speak ill of the dead.

imnokid
03-01-2015, 10:16 PM
It's not nice to speak ill of the dead.

I don't agree. If a person is dead and did shitty things, I think their shit is fair game.