PDA

View Full Version : Why So Many Temptations???

test

Pages : [1] 2 3

marv2
02-21-2015, 04:35 PM
I was thinking today [[ I know, scary huh? LOL!) why were there so many Temptations, replacement members or what have you? I think there were something like 300 Temptations and counting. Well, maybe not quite that many, but there were a lot of them.

Why do think there were so many individual Temptation members?

marv2
02-21-2015, 04:40 PM
They started off something like this........ ok well not completely, but you what I mean.:

marv2
02-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Those two groups, the Primes and the Distants merged and gave birth to this group called "The Temptations"!

edafan
02-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I count 22 Temptations [[ defined as singing with Otis Williams after the Temptations were formed. 21 Plus Otis

edafan

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:15 PM
I count 22 Temptations [[ defined as singing with Otis Williams after the Temptations were formed. 21 Plus Otis

edafan

To me that's quite a bit when I think of the Temptations always being a 5 man unit....................with 17 spares I guess! LOL
!

blueskies
02-21-2015, 05:15 PM
How many of them have passed, now?

luke
02-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Answer..Otis?

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:17 PM
No really, what made me think of this topic is that I was watching a clip of the Four Tops from the Ed Sullivan Show singing "Reach Out, I'll Be There". They all looked happy and like they were having so much fun. To think that they were able to keep the same line-up for something like 47 years is amazing now that I think about it. I bet it was much more fun being a Top than a Tempt.

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Answer..Otis?

You've got the right answer or at least the one common denominator in all of this drama! Pssst, but don't say that too loud, he has his fans too. LOL!!!

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:24 PM

Must we? Ok then.....

Elbridge "Al" Bryant
Melvin Franklin
Eddie Kendricks
Paul Williams
David Ruffin
Ricky Owens
Richard Street
Damon Harris
Ali-Ollie Woodson
Ray Davis
Harry McGilberry

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:37 PM
These were the Temptations from [[1964–1968)

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:39 PM
The Temptations from [[1968–1971):

jillfoster
02-21-2015, 05:51 PM
I understand Otis being the boss at this point from default, because he's the only one left. But back then... who died and left him in charge? In the 1967-75 period?

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Changes started coming more rapidly. The Temptations in [[1971):

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:57 PM
I understand Otis being the boss at this point from default, because he's the only one left. But back then... who died and left him in charge? In the 1967-75 period?

I think he became "Boss" because he was the one that could hit the hardest! I am not even half way joking...............

marv2
02-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Before I could look up and around, these were the Temptations from [[1971–1975):

marv2
02-21-2015, 06:07 PM
You would have thought that the above grouping would have stayed together much longer being they were having big hits, winning Grammys etc, etc.....but NOoooooooo! By early 1975 it was time for another change! Here they are ladies and gentlemen.....The Temptations as they were from [[1975–1977):

marv2
02-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Confused yet? Don't be because there is a lot more to come! LOL! Rounding out the 70s is this last grouping. They were smoother than ever.....perhaps too smooth! The Temptations from [[1977–1980):

marv2
02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
....and then Dennis came back! The Temptations from [[1980-82):

StuBass1
02-21-2015, 06:53 PM
I have many Temptations stories and recollections having gotten to know them..especially Paul as a young teenager...I do recall one event along this topic...It was 85 or 86 maybe as I was visiting the MoWest studios with my brother to see Russ Terrana. As we were standing in the vestibule between the two studios...several Temptations walked in along with Dennis Edwards who had been released from the group, as if I was a part of the conversation while awaiting Otis' arrival. Dennis started wondering aloud with his former group mates if Otis would let him back in the group. Dennis was there to lobby Otis for readmission which I believe he did get back in for a while at that point.

bradsupremes
02-21-2015, 07:33 PM
I find it funny people harp on Mary Wilson for continuing the Supremes and allowing them to become a "revolving door" as some put it, but I don't hear much about Otis for keeping the Temptations going to the point they became a tribute act rather than the actual group.

blueskies
02-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Must we? Ok then.....

Elbridge "Al" Bryant
Melvin Franklin
Eddie Kendricks
Paul Williams
David Ruffin
Ricky Owens
Richard Street
Damon Harris
Ali-Ollie Woodson
Ray Davis
Harry McGilberry
Wow....I had no idea.

soulster
02-21-2015, 08:28 PM
To me that's quite a bit when I think of the Temptations always being a 5 man unit....................with 17 spares I guess! LOL
! Except when they did the reunion album, and Eddie and David joined them.

soulster
02-21-2015, 08:30 PM
I find it funny people harp on Mary Wilson for continuing the Supremes and allowing them to become a "revolving door" as some put it, but I don't hear much about Otis for keeping the Temptations going to the point they became a tribute act rather than the actual group. From everything I have read and seen, Otis is a bit of an a-hole.

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Wow....I had no idea.

I really don't like focusing on that, but ya did ask....................... May they all rest in peace.

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Except when they did the reunion album, and Eddie and David joined them.

You are good! I am going to get to that in just a bit.

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I find it funny people harp on Mary Wilson for continuing the Supremes and allowing them to become a "revolving door" as some put it, but I don't hear much about Otis for keeping the Temptations going to the point they became a tribute act rather than the actual group.

Well Brad. I believe that "revolving door" comment as well as those like "They had simply sequined out......" Came from folks that should have been supporting Mary and the Supremes rather than setting them adrift until the right moment came to kill off the group! They were no less talented and attractive in 1977 than they were in 1967.
Just think. We all know how good Mary Wilson, Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne sing today. Can you imagine if they never broke up and were allowed to continue in all these 37 years since? How much more great music and performances we could have enjoyed!

blackguy69
02-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I find it funny people harp on Mary Wilson for continuing the Supremes and allowing them to become a "revolving door" as some put it, but I don't hear much about Otis for keeping the Temptations going to the point they became a tribute act rather than the actual group. i thought the same thing. the Supremes went thru a total of 5 lineup changes [[^ if you count the Primettes) while during the same time period, the Tempts had 7 different lineup and counting.

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:44 PM
I have many Temptations stories and recollections having gotten to know them..especially Paul as a young teenager...I do recall one event along this topic...It was 85 or 86 maybe as I was visiting the MoWest studios with my brother to see Russ Terrana. As we were standing in the vestibule between the two studios...several Temptations walked in along with Dennis Edwards who had been released from the group, as if I was a part of the conversation while awaiting Otis' arrival. Dennis started wondering aloud with his former group mates if Otis would let him back in the group. Dennis was there to lobby Otis for readmission which I believe he did get back in for a while at that point.

Stu, he, Dennis got his spot back for one year and one album in 1987. The only single from that period that I recall is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8tz_B5MYc

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:47 PM
From everything I have read and seen, Otis is a bit of an a-hole.

Uh, urrr, ahhh and you know that! LOL!!!

Seriously, he was the iron fist! Someone would have to help me understand how that many talented singers, grown men would join a World famous group like the Temptations and then start screwing up to the point of being dismissed! How could that even be possible?? Does that make sense to anyone reading this?

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Now there was the matter of this big Temptations Reunion back in the 80s, 1982 to be exact. Who's original idea was it? I am not sure, but I sure am not going to ask Shelly Berger because I would bet good money what he'll say......When the news hit, questions abounded about who or which Temptations were going to be a part of the reunion. We got the answer pretty quickly when this promo picture was released:

marv2
02-21-2015, 08:53 PM
I bet Otis and Motown did not ask all the former Temptations to audition for spots on that reunion tour!

marv2
02-21-2015, 09:07 PM
The Temptations Reunion Tour made money! They drew large crowds and even the album with the single "Standing on the Top" sold well. Then what was the problem? The one side of the story that we always heard was that the two "bad boys" [[aka David Ruffin & Eddie Kendricks) caused too many problems and Otis wanted them out of the group........AGAIN! I always find this part amusing because, the year after the reunion tour came "Motown 25" and neither Eddie or David were even invited by Ms. DePasse. That led the public to believe that they were in no condition to perform on national TV. I find it funny because just a few years after that, David and Eddie hooked up with Hall & Oates to headline a concert at the Apollo, which lead to a very popular live recording and video of the combined acts. Further, David and Eddie were invited to participate in the Artists Against Apartied video and recording of "Sun City"!

carole cucumber
02-21-2015, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rA2CLHLXUc

marv2
02-21-2015, 09:33 PM
After the reunion tour in 1982, the Tempts shrunk back to it's normal 5 man group. They recorded a few more albums into the beginning of 1983. The Temptations at this time [[1982–1983) were:

luke
02-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Great thread Marv. I am somewhat mystified as to Otis' power. Couldn't the rest of group out vote him. ?Although I guess owning the name and being an original gave him the final say.

marv2
02-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Now doesn't that look like a group of happy fellows? Buds? I mean this line up had been together since 1980. By 1983 somebody had to go! Tag Glenn Carl Leonard, you are it! I always wondered what he did to get fired. I mean he is one of the lead voices on the Christmas classic "Silent Night" and he never seem to pushy on stage. Maybe he forgot Otis' birthday one year, I don't know ...just sayin' LOL! So out you go Glenn Carl Leonard. In comes Ron Tyson of Philly. The Temptations from [[1983–1984):

marv2
02-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Great thread Marv. I am somewhat mystified as to Otis' power. Couldn't the rest of group out vote him. ?Although I guess owning the name and being an original gave him the final say.

Luke, it ain't even that complicated. My STRONG belief is that Otis was the silent, tough guy [[although all of the early members were pretty rough, forget that Suzanne DePasse fairytale movie LOL!) and he took control of the group early on in decision making.

marv2
02-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Ok now back to our featured story..........hehehehehehe it is now late 1983 moving into 1984 so it was time for someone else to go! The Tempts were still bathing in the after glow of "Motown 25" and out on the road touring with the "TNT Show" [[ the Tempts and the Tops).

I don't know what Dennis "the human yo yo" Edwards did, but he shouldn't have oughta done it! Otis once again fired his ass from the group! I mean just kicked him right outta the group like he was nothing! Dennis got the last laugh because he came up with a HUGE solo hit in 1984 called "Don't Look Any Further". The Tempts would score their own late in that year:

marv2
02-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Just when we were about to resign the Temptations to "oldies group" status.........it happened! Enter Ali - Ollie Woodson of Detroit!~ Man, this cat could SANG! I was still working in Detroit at the time and I remember the women in my office would swoon and get all figgity just at the mention of this dude's name! LOL! Ali can be credited for breathing new life into the Temptations. With him, they were in demand more than ever. The Temptations as they were from [[1984–1987):

edafan
02-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Great pictures and story line.

The truth is Otis ran the group PERIOD

edafan

marv2
02-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Once more Dennis Edwards rejoined the group replacing Ali-Ollie Woodson [[WTF?). This period was covered a bit out of sequence above, but for [[1987-88), these were the Temptations:

jboy88
02-22-2015, 12:23 AM
I think Ricky Owens caught a bad break having to replace Eddie so soon after "just My Imagination" had taken off. the fact that audiences were so unforgiving of him blowing the lyrics, just further proves how classic that song is. Those pics must be from private show or a rehearsal since Otis stated he was present for both of his shows.

marv2
02-22-2015, 12:24 AM
By the mid part of 1988, Ali-Ollie Woodson was back and all was well [[buh, bye Dennis.....) The Temptations from [[1988 -92) :

luke
02-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Lol this is great. Keep going marv..supremes story next? I guess miss Flo would have been the Otis character but for BG. She wouldn't have put up with no stuff and booted ...

marv2
02-22-2015, 12:38 AM
Moving on further into the 90s is when things began to get a bit dicey for me! As a long time fan and supporter of the Temptations, even I was becoming confused over who was in the group and who was not. This also around the time Melvin Franklin became ill and have to withdraw from the group for extended periods of time. So for the era [[1992–1994) we had almost 2 groups in one. Many television appearances showed them as a 4 man group with newcomer, Theo Peoples.......

marv2
02-22-2015, 12:43 AM
Lol this is great. Keep going marv..supremes story next? I guess miss Flo would have been the Otis character but for BG. She wouldn't have put up with no stuff and booted ...

Thanks Luke, but if I got into it about the Supremes and told what I know [[and I know the truth), It would spark World War III LOL! It would lead to all kinds of pandemonium, mayhem and perhaps some hard feelings. I ain't going to do that to Ralph or myself thank you!

True, Flo could hit the hardest...........................hehehehehehehe!

marv2
02-22-2015, 12:55 AM
I should mention before any further that Theo Peoples came into the group in 1992,replacing long time member Richard Street. Richard had been with the group for 21 years at the time of his dismissal. From what Richard has said. He became very ill and was hospitalized with multiple gall stones, etc. Being in the hospital caused Richard to miss a show. Otis Williams blew a gasket and cursed Richard out something awful! Richard's feelings were hurt because Otis showed him no sympathy over his health crisis and that ended that!

marv2
02-22-2015, 01:05 AM
On February 23, 1995 [[20 years ago this weekend) Melvin Franklin died. He was the true heart & soul of the Temptations in my opinion. Still the show must go on and he was replaced by Ray Davis formerly of Parliament/Funkadelic [[Y'all remember "Tear the Roof off the Sucka"? That was Ray's booming bass voice on that record). The grouping with Ray only lasted a year. The Temptations for [[1995) :

jobeterob
02-22-2015, 01:12 AM

I really think that is a male/female bias. When the female is directive and organized like Otis is, she's a bitch. With Otis, he's a strong, organized man. The other issue is that Otis has been successful at managing to keep the group going and you can't argue with success. He is recognized by the public for that. Some fans feelin differently but not the public. And in addition, the Supremes just didn't have anyone that was able to pull a group together and keep it together and modestly successful after about 1972. The Temptations did.

marv2
02-22-2015, 01:16 AM
I really think that is a male/female bias. When the female is directive and organized like Otis is, she's a bitch. With Otis, he's a strong, organized man. The other issue is that Otis has been successful at managing to keep the group going and you can't argue with success. He is recognized by the public for that. Some fans feelin differently but not the public. And in addition, the Supremes just didn't have anyone that was able to pull a group together and keep it together and modestly successful after about 1972. The Temptations did.

Thanks once again for your sly passive-aggressive slam against Mary Wilson. Anyway, now back to the Temptations!

marv2
02-22-2015, 01:29 AM
More unfortunate health news. In late 1995, Ray Davis was diagnosed with throat cancer and had to leave the group. His replacement was Harry McGilberry another Philadelphia native. The Temptations from [[1995–1997):

marv2
02-22-2015, 01:51 AM
I think Ricky Owens caught a bad break having to replace Eddie so soon after "just My Imagination" had taken off. the fact that audiences were so unforgiving of him blowing the lyrics, just further proves how classic that song is. Those pics must be from private show or a rehearsal since Otis stated he was present for both of his shows.

I think you are right ,but someone did not have the patience for him to get it together. I know it must have been embarrassing for Ricky Owens, as well as his friends like The Vibrations. He was their lead singer and a star in that group, but could not last even a few shows as a Temptation.

detmotownguy
02-22-2015, 08:07 AM
Well Brad. I believe that "revolving door" comment as well as those like "They had simply sequined out......" Came from folks that should have been supporting Mary and the Supremes rather than setting them adrift until the right moment came to kill off the group! They were no less talented and attractive in 1977 than they were in 1967.
Just think. We all know how good Mary Wilson, Susaye Greene and Scherrie Payne sing today. Can you imagine if they never broke up and were allowed to continue in all these 37 years since? How much more great music and performances we could have enjoyed!

i have also wondered about MSS staying together. I really liked the last album and wished the dynamics were there to keep things going, but I will stop there! God knows the talent was there.

luke
02-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Didn't the Madison Square Garden show push Mary over the edge so to speak? Plus the Temptations had more members to keep it going.

marv2
02-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Didn't the Madison Square Garden show push Mary over the edge so to speak? Plus the Temptations had more members to keep it going.

I think it pushed Pedro Ferrer to push Mary harder to leave the group. We told them not to do that show and I believe had some legitimate reasons why they did not belong on that type of show. It was like having James Brown do a set for a hardcore C&W crowd.

marv2
02-22-2015, 10:46 AM
In 1997, Ali-Ollie Woodson left, was fired, resigned or disappeared from the group. I say it that way because they never give an official reason why the Tempts would replace a great singer like Ali. His abilities had not diminished as I have seen and heard Ali many times after he left the Temptations. In any case, he is replaced by Terry Weeks and the Temptation grouping with the last major hit "Stay" is formed. The Temptation from [[1997–1998):

marv2
02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
The next change in the Temptations saw Theo Peoples [[another excellent singer and genuinely nice guy) leaving to join another legendary Motown group..........The Four Tops! In steps Barrington "Bo" Henderson of Washington, PA to replace him. The Temptations from [[1998–2003):

marv2
02-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Are you starting to see a pattern now? Some of these groupings only lasted a year or so.

edafan
02-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Stu, he, Dennis got his spot back for one year and one album in 1987. The only single from that period that I recall is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8tz_B5MYc
I love this video.
If Billy Dee Williams told me Not to ever sing this song; I wouldn't sing it.

edafan

detmotownguy
02-22-2015, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;272844]Are you starting to see a pattern now? Some of these groupings only lasted a year or so.[/QUOT

Marv great job on the thread; all the pics too! Interesting revisiting the history of the group.

marv2
02-22-2015, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;272844]Are you starting to see a pattern now? Some of these groupings only lasted a year or so.[/QUOT

Marv great job on the thread; all the pics too! Interesting revisiting the history of the group.

Thank you Detmotownguy. The Temptations were one of Motown's most successful acts and they hardly ever get discussed here on the Motown Forum. Stay tuned. We're not done yet !

milven
02-22-2015, 01:16 PM
This is a great thread Marv. I am enjoying it. It would be nice to see a similar thread on the Supremes, but I can understand your reluctance.

Theo left the Tempts to fill Levi's shoes , which is sort of impossible, but he did a great , great job. Do you know why he left , or was forced to leave, that group?

marv2
02-22-2015, 01:34 PM
This is a great thread Marv. I am enjoying it. It would be nice to see a similar thread on the Supremes, but I can understand your reluctance.

Theo left the Tempts to fill Levi's shoes , which is sort of impossible, but he did a great , great job. Do you know why he left , or was forced to leave, that group?

You know as well as I do, that if I were to do one on the Supremes [[I would have to tell the truth throughout...), that some people here would go mental, biserk about certain things. It would cause undue and un-needed stress for Ralph and some of the more excitable members could wind up getting banned. So no I will not do that.

Also, Theo Peoples joined the Four Tops while Levi was still performing with the group. The actual fourth spot he filled was that of Lawrence Peyton. I don't know why he left the Tempts but based on the pattern I've seen with that group, he was likely canned!

milven
02-22-2015, 01:48 PM
As I said, I can understand your reluctance, but it would make a nice read just as this thread is a nice read of the Tempts.

I forgot that Theo's first spot in the 4 Tops was as Payton's replacement. Theo probably left the Tempts to be with a more stable group. But then look what happened to him with the Tops. Do you know why he left the Tops?

marv2
02-22-2015, 02:03 PM
As I said, I can understand your reluctance, but it would make a nice read just as this thread is a nice read of the Tempts.

I forgot that Theo's first spot in the 4 Tops was as Payton's replacement. Theo probably left the Tempts to be with a more stable group. But then look what happened to him with the Tops. Do you know why he left the Tops?

He had a disagreement with Duke is all I heard.

skooldem1
02-22-2015, 02:11 PM
This could have been a good thread. It is obvious that it was created for the purpose of taking a dig at Otis.

marv2
02-22-2015, 02:20 PM
This could have been a good thread. It is obvious that it was created for the purpose of taking a dig at Otis.

I think it is a great thread. I also know that you have it completely wrong because I started this thread and digging at Otis was not even on my mind.

skooldem1
02-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Why do think there were so many individual Temptation members?

This was your "question".

skooldem1
02-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Answer..Otis?

This was an answer given to your question.

skooldem1
02-22-2015, 02:31 PM
You've got the right answer or at least the one common denominator in all of this drama! Pssst, but don't say that too loud, he has his fans too. LOL!!!

This answer by you revealed your intention.

floyjoy678
02-22-2015, 02:42 PM
It seems to me that Otis is a very insecure man and I'm not a very big fan of his. He was surrounded by all these talented men and he seemed to have problem with all of them. Jealous much? I hate it when people say he is like Mary Wilson but Mary, unlike Otis, is a talented singer and has an amazing stage presence [[like Diana and Florence). She should have gone solo earlier than she did, she did not need a group. Otis on the other hand needs the Temptations to lean on.

skooldem1
02-22-2015, 02:45 PM
Otis is the heart and soul of the Temptations. The only Temptation to be in the group from the beginning to now, through every lineup. He has kept the legacy alive.

StuBass1
02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
I would have to say that while Otis has faced criticism from various perspectives through the years, he was the logical person who stepped up on many occasions to deal with the many issues which arose threatening the continuation and legacy of one of Motown's premier acts. Perhaps the fact that he was not a lead singer seeking individual adulation kept him focused on the interests of the group and not the prospect of his personal advancement. Issues like individual egos, drug and alcohol problems, lack of discipline by some group members throughout the years, etc. necessitated someone to keep those things in check internally to prevent the disintegration of the group like happened to so many other ensembles through the years, as we all know the stories of many of them....So while I'm sure that Otis made some questionable decisions through the years, at least he was there to make the tough decisions that few others were capable of or unwilling to do...

Crystaledwards
02-22-2015, 03:11 PM
You know as well as I do, that if I were to do one on the Supremes [[I would have to tell the truth throughout...), that some people here would go mental, biserk about certain things. It would cause undue and un-needed stress for Ralph and some of the more excitable members could wind up getting banned. So no I will not do that.

Ce qu'une charge de horseshit. LOL

Your truth about the Supremes Marvin, would never get passed the most inane fact-checker and is highly unlikely to cause any Supremes fan to spiral out of control. However your loyalty to Ralph and the other individuals here is both lofty and chivalrous.

This thread is pleasantly entertaining.

CE

marv2
02-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Ce qu'une charge de horseshit. LOL

Your truth about the Supremes Marvin, would never get passed the most inane fact-checker and is highly unlikely to cause any Supremes fan to spiral out of control. However your loyalty to Ralph and the other individuals here is both lofty and chivalrous.

This thread is pleasantly entertaining.

CE

You are exactly the type of person I was trying to protect. You couldn't handle it. All you seem to be able to handle is little lifeless jabs and snarks at me. So just close your eyes because I'm not telling, so don't worry.......

Crystaledwards
02-22-2015, 03:36 PM
You are exactly the type of person I was trying to protect. You couldn't handle it. All you seem to be able to handle is little lifeless jabs and snarks at me. So just close your eyes because I'm not telling, so don't worry.......

The last person I need protection from is you sweet-cheeks. There is nothing you can throw my way that I cannot handle. LOL

Perhaps you should kiss and tell, you may find it cathartic.

You and I have some unfinished business to put to bed so to speak Marvin. I will be in East Patchogue this coming May and would love to take you to lunch. I can make it convenient for you by meeting you in Oyster Bay, Bayville or Huntington. My treat, your choice of eatery. Kindly send me a private message if you feel so inclined.

CE

marv2
02-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Lalalalalalalala....... LOL! Now returning to our saga of one of the Greatest Groups in history............The Temptations! It began to look like the Tempts had auditioned, invited and discarded just about every available, talented male vocalists they went retro. They invited former Spinner and solo star G. C. Cameron to join the Temptations and he accepted! I would have never guessed this one. G.C. is an awesome singer, but he had been a soloist for decades. The Temptations from [[2003–2007):

marv2
02-22-2015, 04:10 PM
After 4 years with the Temptations, I guess G.C. decided that he could hang so he too left the group which by now was mostly a touring act. In fact that by the 90s and 00s, there were so many "Temptations" acts out there usually consisting of one former member of the Temptations and four new and unknown singers that you had to designate "Otis' Temptations" the one associated directly with Motown [[or Universal). With G.C. gone, in steps Big Bruce Williamson as a lead singer. Hard to believe but Bruce was born in 1970 when the Tempts were riding high with "Ball of Confusion". The Temptations from [[2007–present):

supremester
02-22-2015, 09:33 PM
I don't know a lot about The Tempts after Eddie left, so this is interesting . I'm not a fan of Otis, but if he's a jerk to work with, don't work with him. I don't enjoy his group and he sweats like a piece of rancid pork just by walking on stage. It's too bad he can't work with Dennis' group - they are faboo.
I think The Supremes' revolving door criticism is worse than that of The Tempts because of the size of the group AND personnel involved. DMC were far more visable to the public at large than The Tempts ever were - plus, there was only one star of the group who sang lead and one star of the bg - Flo - who loomed large over Mary. Cindy was a great replacement as far as a step-in, but, she brought nothing close to the group like Flo did - which elevated Mary's status and created a lot more focus on Miss Ross. Once Diana left, another great step-in joined, but still not a replacement for Diana in terms of starnosity. So, you have the least fave of the original 3 as the only familiar face......then it changed AGAIN. The Tempts still had 80% of the group when Dennis arrived, and he was an amazing vocal fit and looked great. PLUS The Tempts had the added plus of having Norman whitfiekd change his approach to The Tempts singles by featuring at least 4 of them members and funking up the sound at the same time. By comparison, Frank Wilso broke very little new ground with JMC.
Ultimately, Otis was wise not to try to take over the group lead, and kept the sound as close to the original as possible.

marv2
02-22-2015, 10:28 PM
I don't know a lot about The Tempts after Eddie left, so this is interesting . I'm not a fan of Otis, but if he's a jerk to work with, don't work with him. I don't enjoy his group and he sweats like a piece of rancid pork just by walking on stage. It's too bad he can't work with Dennis' group - they are faboo.
I think The Supremes' revolving door criticism is worse than that of The Tempts because of the size of the group AND personnel involved. DMC were far more visable to the public at large than The Tempts ever were - plus, there was only one star of the group who sang lead and one star of the bg - Flo - who loomed large over Mary. Cindy was a great replacement as far as a step-in, but, she brought nothing close to the group like Flo did - which elevated Mary's status and created a lot more focus on Miss Ross. Once Diana left, another great step-in joined, but still not a replacement for Diana in terms of starnosity. So, you have the least fave of the original 3 as the only familiar face......then it changed AGAIN. The Tempts still had 80% of the group when Dennis arrived, and he was an amazing vocal fit and looked great. PLUS The Tempts had the added plus of having Norman whitfiekd change his approach to The Tempts singles by featuring at least 4 of them members and funking up the sound at the same time. By comparison, Frank Wilso broke very little new ground with JMC.
Ultimately, Otis was wise not to try to take over the group lead, and kept the sound as close to the original as possible.

Uh, what thread are you reading?

stephanie
02-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Marv this is a great thread! I think Otis let Dennis come back so many times because Dennis did a lot of leads on their hits it may have been a business decision. Weldon McDougal who is no longer with us told me the reason why some of the Tempts [[did not say which ones) had to be let go was due to drug use. Also bad behavior [[not showing up for rehearsals..etc). Many of the Temps were able to have a great sound for the replacements as well like Damon Harris replacing Eddie.

marv2
02-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Marv this is a great thread! I think Otis let Dennis come back so many times because Dennis did a lot of leads on their hits it may have been a business decision. Weldon McDougal who is no longer with us told me the reason why some of the Tempts [[did not say which ones) had to be let go was due to drug use. Also bad behavior [[not showing up for rehearsals..etc). Many of the Temps were able to have a great sound for the replacements as well like Damon Harris replacing Eddie.

Thank you Stephanie. My sister saw this thread and the pictures and was startled to realized that Otis Williams has not aged, does not age...hmmmmmmmm....... LOL

arr&bee
02-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Hey mav my man good thread on the temptin temps and thier many members,i'm gonna say again what i said some years ago on another post about the temps and this is to the otis haters,i'm one of his biggest fans...had otis not had the-vision,toughness,buisiness savvy,we would not even be having this discussion did he make mistakes?of course as we all have during the course of our lives making choices that affect those we are responsible for,and otis is in charge of the temps and for 55yrs keeping them around when many have faded,imagine what would've happened if he had let david have his way[david ruffin and the temptations]or if he had listened to eddie[go on strike no shows no recording]no he had to stay cool so my hat is off the great[yes i said it]the great mr.otis williams-member emiritus of the temptations...oh and before anyone says something smartass like..well he's the only one still living,i wish that..eddie-david-paul-al-richard-melvin were still here.

marv2
02-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Hey mav my man good thread on the temptin temps and thier many members,i'm gonna say again what i said some years ago on another post about the temps and this is to the otis haters,i'm one of his biggest fans...had otis not had the-vision,toughness,buisiness savvy,we would not even be having this discussion did he make mistakes?of course as we all have during the course of our lives making choices that affect those we are responsible for,and otis is in charge of the temps and for 55yrs keeping them around when many have faded,imagine what would've happened if he had let david have his way[david ruffin and the temptations]or if he had listened to eddie[go on strike no shows no recording]no he had to stay cool so my hat is off the great[yes i said it]the great mr.otis williams-member emiritus of the temptations...oh and before anyone says something smartass like..well he's the only one still living,i wish that..eddie-david-paul-al-richard-melvin were still here.

Thank you JAI and thank you for saying what you said!

rod_rick
02-24-2015, 08:27 PM
After Otis was Richard Street with the Tempts the longest? Why did Richard leave the group? I never knew the reason for his exit.

marv2
02-24-2015, 08:29 PM
After Otis was Richard Street with the Tempts the longest? Why did Richard leave the group? I never knew the reason for his exit.

rod_rick, read post #48 in this thread and let me know if that answers it for you.

marv2
02-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Now there was the matter of this big Temptations Reunion back in the 80s, 1982 to be exact. Who's original idea was it? I am not sure, but I sure am not going to ask Shelly Berger because I would bet good money what he'll say......When the news hit, questions abounded about who or which Temptations were going to be a part of the reunion. We got the answer pretty quickly when this promo picture was released:

Here the guys appear together on "Solid Gold":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oj5di-XtZI

edafan
02-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Uh, urrr, ahhh and you know that! LOL!!!

Seriously, he was the iron fist! Someone would have to help me understand how that many talented singers, grown men would join a World famous group like the Temptations and then start screwing up to the point of being dismissed! How could that even be possible?? Does that make sense to anyone reading this?

Marv; they wanted more money; Usually Otis said "No"

marv2
02-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Marv; they wanted more money; Usually Otis said "No"

edafan, I believe it was a combination of things and each situation had it's uniqueness. Damon Harris for example. I understand that Mr. Gordy didn't like his attitude and ask Otis to drop him.

edafan
02-28-2015, 10:36 PM
edafan, I believe it was a combination of things and each situation had it's uniqueness. Damon Harris for example. I understand that Mr. Gordy didn't like his attitude and ask Otis to drop him.

Richard Street should be in the RRHOF group. You know more inside information than most of us. I talked to the Temptations in 2002 for an hour. Truly gentlemen. I didn't get to talk to the bass ,man; but to Otis Ron Terry Bo. It is not an easy life.

Remember Otis and Melvin figured it out that they had to keep performing to make any money. Also leaving Motown and coming back Melvin and Otis got the right to produce their stuff. At that time it was revolutionary. The only other performer to challenge the system was Curtis Mayfield; Curtom records he founded.

Great post

edafan

marv2
02-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Richard Street should be in the RRHOF group. You know more inside information than most of us. I talked to the Temptations in 2002 for an hour. Truly gentlemen. I didn't get to talk to the bass ,man; but to Otis Ron Terry Bo. It is not an easy life.

Remember Otis and Melvin figured it out that they had to keep performing to make any money. Also leaving Motown and coming back Melvin and Otis got the right to produce their stuff. At that time it was revolutionary. The only other performer to challenge the system was Curtis Mayfield; Curtom records he founded.

Great post

edafan

Now that is something I agree with you on 1000% and that being Richard Street should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He should have been there now for years. When the Tempts were inducted in 1999, Richard was in good standing with the group and had been a member for 28 years by that point [[longer than some of those inducted).

marv2
02-28-2015, 10:40 PM

Great post

edafan

Curtis understood things early on and had the talent and business sense to back it up. Same thing with Sam Cooke. The Motown acts were mostly kept in the dark about finances, royalties, publishing ,etc, etc.

edafan
02-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Curtis understood things early on and had the talent and business sense to back it up. Same thing with Sam Cooke. The Motown acts were mostly kept in the dark about finances, royalties, publishing ,etc, etc.

I agree

edafan

midnightman
03-01-2015, 08:43 PM

IDK, lemme count down:

Paul Williams - first Temptation to die [[1973)
Elridge "Al" Bryant - second to die [[1975)
David Ruffin [[1991)
Eddie Kendricks [[1992)
Melvin Franklin [[1995)
Ricky Owens [[1996)
Ray Davis [[2005)
Harry McGIlberry [[2006)
Ali-Ollie Woodson [[2010)
Richard Street [[2013)
Damon Harris [[2013)

Of the 22 Temptations members, 11 have died.

midnightman
03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
You would have thought that the above grouping would have stayed together much longer being they were having big hits, winning Grammys etc, etc.....but NOoooooooo! By early 1975 it was time for another change! Here they are ladies and gentlemen.....The Temptations as they were from [[1975–1977):

Not Otis trying the Superfly hairdo either...

midnightman
03-01-2015, 08:48 PM

Otis and Melvin were the longest serving Tempts. Ron Tyson replaced Richard as the third longest-serving Tempt [[32 years this year; Richard was with the group for 21 years until 1992). Reason he left was he and Otis had words. Richard had been sick and apparently Otis didn't get the word so either he was fired or Richard and Otis argued and Richard quit. But I think Otis fired him.

midnightman
03-01-2015, 08:52 PM

He left for the same reason he left the Tempts: arguing with the de-facto group leader. I think it was money issues. We have to remember, the Phoenix Rising album was mostly finished when Theo left in 1998. I think he left right after recording his magnum opus with the group [["This Is My Promise"). By the time he left, the Tempts had one more song to do for the album and that's when Barrington Henderson [[former lead singer of Lakeside though not an original; he sang lead on their R&B hit "Bullseye") stepped in. He was on the cover of the album and lipped Theo's voice for their "Stay" video.

midnightman
03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Here's Theo doing This Is My Promise during a solo gig from roughly three years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaHsCw5_D24

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Not Otis trying the Superfly hairdo either...

Did you see them on Midnight Special back then? Summer of 75? He looked like that on the show. I think I remember the whole show was devoted to the Tempts and their lastest album containing "Glass House", "Shakey Ground" etc.

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Otis and Melvin were the longest serving Tempts. Ron Tyson replaced Richard as the third longest-serving Tempt [[32 years this year; Richard was with the group for 21 years until 1992). Reason he left was he and Otis had words. Richard had been sick and apparently Otis didn't get the word so either he was fired or Richard and Otis argued and Richard quit. But I think Otis fired him.

For more info on that situation, check out post #48.

marv2
03-01-2015, 10:17 PM
He left for the same reason he left the Tempts: arguing with the de-facto group leader. I think it was money issues. We have to remember, the Phoenix Rising album was mostly finished when Theo left in 1998. I think he left right after recording his magnum opus with the group [["This Is My Promise"). By the time he left, the Tempts had one more song to do for the album and that's when Barrington Henderson [[former lead singer of Lakeside though not an original; he sang lead on their R&B hit "Bullseye") stepped in. He was on the cover of the album and lipped Theo's voice for their "Stay" video.

Great information Midnightman. Thank you!

midnightman
03-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Did you see them on Midnight Special back then? Summer of 75? He looked like that on the show. I think I remember the whole show was devoted to the Tempts and their lastest album containing "Glass House", "Shakey Ground" etc.

I wasn't around back then lol but I could imagine he was wearing that hair style then. I saw a performance of them doing "Shakey Ground" for a show in Germany and it looked like he hadn't permed it. Then again, I don't know if I saw how he looked wrong...

midnightman
03-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Great information Midnightman. Thank you!

No prob. :) I know little is known of the Tempts after the '80s lol but they were still relevant enough to have R&B hits in the '90s. That's when I became a fan.

marv2
03-02-2015, 05:52 PM
I wasn't around back then lol but I could imagine he was wearing that hair style then. I saw a performance of them doing "Shakey Ground" for a show in Germany and it looked like he hadn't permed it. Then again, I don't know if I saw how he looked wrong...

Then what am I doing talking to you , you youngster! Are you kidding me?

midnightman
03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
^ Yep, I'm just 30. :)

marv2
03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
^ Yep, I'm just 30. :)

I have a neck tie older than you! LOL!!! But we cool.............

arr&bee
03-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....marv you're a hoot.

midnightman
03-02-2015, 08:47 PM
I have a neck tie older than you! LOL!!! But we cool.............

LMAO! ;) Cool. :)

edafan
03-02-2015, 11:51 PM
This thread has a lot of great facts and photos of the Temptations. And it is sad that the entertainment industry now does not value great singing. The basic fact is that this group gave us a lot of great songs. One way overlooked gem is Magic. Melvin and Ali Ollie. Wow
edafan

marv2
03-03-2015, 12:12 AM
This thread has a lot of great facts and photos of the Temptations. And it is sad that the entertainment industry now does not value great singing. The basic fact is that this group gave us a lot of great songs. One way overlooked gem is Magic. Melvin and Ali Ollie. Wow
edafan

I agree and then there was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O22XCKjMlo

marv2
03-03-2015, 02:04 AM
I surprised they did this one and more surprised that I liked it. Heard it on the radio the first time driving around a rainy Connecticut in 1995. This was when they were in their 4 man configuration during that period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHpx6EwEm0

marv2
03-03-2015, 02:56 AM
edafan

It is beyond sad. It is a clear example of the decline of our civilization, quality of life, etc .etc. It is ALL about money now! You may recall that when groups like the Temptations were signed to Motown, it took them several years to get a national hit. Berry Gordy stuck with them and groups like the Supremes until they scored. Today, if an artist is lucky enough to get the support of a record label, they have to score and score huge immediately or they are dropped!

marv2
03-03-2015, 03:04 AM
For me, and I repeat for ME, this was the quintessential David Ruffin lead with the Temptations. I have many favorites with him on lead, but this one just epitomizes his great talents :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrjJeP1GGxY

marv2
03-03-2015, 03:12 AM
It has been brought to my attention that it was not previously mentioned here that Joe Herndon of Washington D.C. replaced Harry McGilberry in the Fall of 2003 as the Temptations Bass singer. [[Sorry Joe!). He is pictured above in the grouping with G.C. Cameron and with the current Temptations line up!

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Another underrated temps gem is[truly for you]ron does a good job on this smooth temps song.

marv2
03-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Another underrated temps gem is[truly for you]ron does a good job on this smooth temps song.

You are sooooooooooo very right. I remember buying that album, along with the Four Tops latest album, "Back where I Belong" at the same time in the Fall of '83 and was surprised at just how good they both were!

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Hey marv,do you have a copy of[house party-1975]take a listen to it,yes i know that otis hates it but i don't some of these are folks songs[johnny porter-ways of a grown up man]but in the hands of the temps they make em soulful not a big seller i know but not terrible either.

marv2
03-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Hey marv,do you have a copy of[house party-1975]take a listen to it,yes i know that otis hates it but i don't some of these are folks songs[johnny porter-ways of a grown up man]but in the hands of the temps they make em soulful not a big seller i know but not terrible either.

I have every original Temptations album known to mankind up to 1998. I have the "House Party" album from '75. I got to give it a listen after not hearing it for more than 30 years. You know how bad the Temptations were. They could take a folk song and make it hip. Look what they did with that Rodgers and Hammerstein song posted above............"Some Enchanted Evening". Very few artists can do something like that!

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:01 PM
I always thought the one they really hated was "Wings of Love" from 1976! LOL! Why? because it was essentially a Dennis Edwards solo project with session singers backing him on most of the tracks! LOL!

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Thinking back now JAI, wasn't "Keep Holdin' On" the only single lifted from "House Party"?

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Now here's a memory. This is from what we called the "Revitalization of Temptations" in 1975. The fancy moves courtesy of Lon Fontaine......................."Glasshouse"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW54qozkm_g

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:18 PM
One of my all time favorites [[for sentimental reasons............hehehehehehehehe) It wasn't a huge hit for the Tempts and by this time in 1978 they were solidly considered part of the entertainment establishment [[think Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, the Letterman,etc you get the picture.LOL!)

They were soooo smooth with the addition of Louis Price that they appeared to be on automatic. Extremely professional performances and expert vocals. Gone were the rough edge of Ruffin and or Edwards. "Everyready Love" from the Winter of 1977-78.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdgyly2N9OA

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Great stuff marv,i could talk about the temps for days,i agree[wings of love is terrible]is it just me or does it seem like the temps laid out an incredible menu of music,not just the hits but the overall body of music that you could listen to for days and never get your fill,even the album covers were cool.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Funny that you should mention louis price,great singer but i was glad when dennis came back,but you gotta give louis his due he did a good job on[let's live in peace,think for yourself[from-hear to tempt you].

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Great stuff marv,i could talk about the temps for days,i agree[wings of love is terrible]is it just me or does it seem like the temps laid out an incredible menu of music,not just the hits but the overall body of music that you could listen to for days and never get your fill,even the album covers were cool.

Well let's talk about them then! LOL! They were after all one of the greatest groups in the History of the World and that is not up for debate!

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Funny that you should mention louis price,great singer but i was glad when dennis came back,but you gotta give louis his due he did a good job on[let's live in peace,think for yourself[from-hear to tempt you].

I was mixed on that whole situation. I was very happy that Louis was in the group [[he sounded a lot like Jerry Butler to me.....). I don't know if it's true, but I had heard that he was the son of Lloyd Price? Anyway, they were missing their trademark gruff, rough lead sound that the we all came to know provided by David and Dennis. Richard tried to fill in that dept., but that is really not his forte. His is "Hey Girl", "Heavenly" which were both very dynamic songs by the Tempts.

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Well let's talk about them then! LOL! They were after all one of the greatest groups in the History of the World and that is not up for debate!

It's not just you, there are millions of us around the World that agree with you. The Temptations were groomed by Motown for the long haul and versatility! They were as much loved by those in the "ghetto" as those that worked on Wall Street that went to see them in the posh clubs or summer outdoor theaters!

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Oh no question,the greatest hands down,i have a giant posterboard in my basement entitled[meet the temptations]with photos from the days of[al bryant]to ali woodson.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 07:54 PM
One amusing statement from otis,in the book he says that david or jimmy ruffin could have sung in the temps,but some years later he said that jimmy had two left feet so that would've eliminated him.

marv2
03-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Oh no question,the greatest hands down,i have a giant posterboard in my basement entitled[meet the temptations]with photos from the days of[al bryant]to ali woodson.

Damn! I bet it is too big to scan huh? What about photographing it. When I have time [[which is nearly impossible in NYC). I want to create something like that.

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:00 PM
One amusing statement from otis,in the book he says that david or jimmy ruffin could have sung in the temps,but some years later he said that jimmy had two left feet so that would've eliminated him.
That plus Jimmy was even worse in having someone telling him what to do, what to sing, yada, yada, yada LOL! He did not have the group mentality like someone else I know.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 08:03 PM
All you need is a poster board and some photos,i was lucky enough to have worked in a place that had some pics laying around.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 08:06 PM
I've always wondered how[teddy pendergrass]would've done in the temps,he certainly had the voice..one of those[what if]questions we'll never get an answer to.

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:15 PM
All you need is a poster board and some photos,i was lucky enough to have worked in a place that had some pics laying around.

I am going to do one myself!

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I've always wondered how[teddy pendergrass]would've done in the temps,he certainly had the voice..one of those[what if]questions we'll never get an answer to.

It would have been awful!................It would have been awfully great to have Teddy fronting the Temptations ,but you KNOW that would have only lasted a minute. Once the ladies started with the throwing of panties at him on stage.......................he would be out! LOL!

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hell i forgot all about that.

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hell i forgot all about that.

You know Otis would not put up with any shit like that even if it weren't Teddy's fault! LOL!

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Marv,did you ever hear the story that blue told about the guy that sent an audition tape to the group when they were looking for a new member,well as we all know you gotta be at least six feet tall to be a temp,wellte guy'svice was good but when blue met him at the airport the dude was about five two,blue cussed him from one end to the other...hhahaha.

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Remember when BoyzIIMen first hit? Everyone was trying to make them out to be the new Temptations or putting them on the same level of potential. where are they now?

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Marv,did you ever hear the story that blue told about the guy that sent an audition tape to the group when they were looking for a new member,well as we all know you gotta be at least six feet tall to be a temp,wellte guy'svice was good but when blue met him at the airport the dude was about five two,blue cussed him from one end to the other...hhahaha.

Yes I do remember that! LOL! Did you know they originally rejected Ali because his hair was dyed orange when he went to the audition? LOL

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 08:48 PM
The most boring group ever.

midnightman
03-04-2015, 08:52 PM
I surprised they did this one and more surprised that I liked it. Heard it on the radio the first time driving around a rainy Connecticut in 1995. This was when they were in their 4 man configuration during that period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHpx6EwEm0

If I recall, this was when Ray Davis had left the group because he had been too ill to do work. Ray eventually decided to be let go from his contract because he was doing too much work [[I think this guy was still working with the original members of Funkadelic as well as Roger and Zapp so the Tempts workload was too much for him). They got Harry shortly after filming this video, I think.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Otis doesn't take many leads,but he had some nice ones such as the old school doowop sounding[i ain't got nothing-1972]otis killed it.

midnightman
03-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Who, Boyz II Men? They really are boring. Great vocals but they were the One Direction of their time: most of the time, they just stood there singing their songs lol they still do the same thing haha

The Temptations had moves on your ass. Don't know why anyone would compare the Temptin' Temptations to Boyz II Men. Ew...lol and I speak as a fan of some of BIIM's stuff! But they were no Temptations.

midnightman
03-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Otis doesn't take many leads,but he had some nice ones such as the old school doowop sounding[i ain't got nothing-1972]otis killed it.

You probably don't have this album but I love his lead on the song "Got to Get On the Road" from their 2000 album, "Ear-Resistible". I loved that album though on some songs they were trying too hard [["It's Alright to Be Wrong" was originally going to go to another Motown act but I think Otis or whoever insisted they get it lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnr2kipMzKk

"Then I'm goin' to DETRAWT [[Detroit)
West Grand Boulevard, 'cause you know that's where it started, y'all!"

Love that line. ;)

marv2
03-04-2015, 08:59 PM

They [[BoyzIIMen) had great harmonies, but no identity! 50-55 years since their first hits and many people can name the individual Four Tops and the Classic 5 Temptations.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks midnightman,i don't have it but i'll be on the lookout for it..temptations forever.

marv2
03-04-2015, 09:05 PM
You probably don't have this album but I love his lead on the song "Got to Get On the Road" from their 2000 album, "Ear-Resistible". I loved that album though on some songs they were trying too hard [["It's Alright to Be Wrong" was originally going to go to another Motown act but I think Otis or whoever insisted they get it lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnr2kipMzKk

"Then I'm goin' to DETRAWT [[Detroit)
West Grand Boulevard, 'cause you know that's where it started, y'all!"

Love that line. ;)

Never heard that cut before. Thank you!

midnightman
03-04-2015, 09:14 PM
No problem, marv and arr. :)

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Hey marv and my other temptaholics,here's a little thing about the classic temps that maybe seems minor but i noticed it years ago and have wondered,from[1965]onward paul and eddie stopped conking[wearing the process]now the style was still popular then,was it a concious thing or did they just decide to stop conking?

marv2
03-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Hey marv and my other temptaholics,here's a little thing about the classic temps that maybe seems minor but i noticed it years ago and have wondered,from[1965]onward paul and eddie stopped conking[wearing the process]now the style was still popular then,was it a concious thing or did they just decide to stop conking?

They stopped because Sam Cooke stopped. I mean that. That's why they stopped.

I should go a bit further. Sam Cooke made a conscious decision to stop processing his hair as an African American man. Had nothing to do with fashion trends or what have you. Malcolm X also spoke out about it as a prominent black man during that era. James Brown and them went on for several more years and stopped in the late 60's.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Damn marv,you are good,i never knew or would have thought of that.thanks man.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 09:46 PM
That may be why jerry butler stopped also.

marv2
03-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Damn marv,you are good,i never knew or would have thought of that.thanks man.

It's true though. As little boys, my brother Robert and I would be taken to a very popular barber shop south of Detroit in Toledo called "Poor Clark's Barber shop". They are still operating to this day. My father would drop us off and come back to get us. We use to sit and watch all the older guys getting their conks done , doo rags and all! This was in 1963-64. [[By 1965 half of them stopped doing it.)

Sam Cooke died in December of that year [[1964),but before he swore he would never conk his hair again to try to appeal to a certain image. In the R&B World, Sam Cooke was a king! He was the one playing the Copa before the Supremes ever got it together. Suffice it to say he was the one the guys wanted to emulate.

9223 9224

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey temptaholics,what other solo artist of the early sixties did the temps adore? He sounded alot like paul.

marv2
03-04-2015, 09:53 PM
That may be why jerry butler stopped also.

Possibly, no I am sure of it! Jerry was a crooner and everybody, I do mean everybody was watching Sam Cooke!

marv2
03-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Hey temptaholics,what other solo artist of the early sixties did the temps adore? He sounded alot like paul.

You don't mean Chuck Jackson [[who by the way would have made a great Temptation!)

marv2
03-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Richard Street, so great, so under recognized. Here he is with his signature song for the Temptations and "Hey Girl" 1973:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gL4De5Wnc

marv2
03-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Here's a rare one. Otis Williams singing lead with "Darling Stand By Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gui7wVf0B1k

nysister
03-05-2015, 12:36 PM
On February 23, 1995 [[20 years ago this weekend) Melvin Franklin died. He was the true heart & soul of the Temptations in my opinion. Still the show must go on and he was replaced by Ray Davis formerly of Parliament/Funkadelic [[Y'all remember "Tear the Roof off the Sucka"? That was Ray's booming bass voice on that record). The grouping with Ray only lasted a year. The Temptations for [[1995) :

marv2, I love this album, got it on my iPod. The vocals are superb on this recording! Did
Ray sing the bass on the entire album?

marv2
03-05-2015, 01:34 PM
marv2, I love this album, got it on my iPod. The vocals are superb on this recording! Did
Ray sing the bass on the entire album?

Hey sister, it is my understanding that Ray sang bass on some and Melvin sang on some.

midnightman
03-05-2015, 01:56 PM
They stopped because Sam Cooke stopped. I mean that. That's why they stopped.

I should go a bit further. Sam Cooke made a conscious decision to stop processing his hair as an African American man. Had nothing to do with fashion trends or what have you. Malcolm X also spoke out about it as a prominent black man during that era. James Brown and them went on for several more years and stopped in the late 60's.

Marvin stopped conking his hair around that same time [[1964-65).

arr&bee
03-05-2015, 06:10 PM
you don't mean chuck jackson [[who by the way would have made a great temptation!)you got it marv,the great chuck jackson.

marv2
03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
you got it marv,the great chuck jackson.

Ahhhh... Great minds think alike! Chuck is still singing up a storm at least in the tri-state area [[NY_NJ_CT) and like Otis has not aged a bit [[ read: Just For Men!) LOL!

marv2
03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
He does have a similar sound to Paul Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OS04Sn1Oo

arr&bee
03-05-2015, 06:33 PM
His[i wake up crying]is a bonified classic i could listen to it all day.

arr&bee
03-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Hey marv,what is the guy;s name who was the lead singer of[the softones]?the reason i mention him is because and no slight to any first tenors outthere,but this guy to me was the best first tenor since eddie and would've been great in the temps.

marv2
03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
This was mine by Chuck....."Tell Him I'm Not Home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C2btBk9qw

arr&bee
03-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Marvin smith i think is the guy from the softones,whom i was asking about,great first tenor,who maybe could've been a temp,what do ya think?

arr&bee
03-10-2015, 08:08 PM
The only group to rival the temps in great lead singers coming and going were the drifters...clyde mcphatter...ben e. King...johnnie lee williams...charley thomas...david baugh...johnny moore...gerhard thrasher...bobby hendricks...rudy lewis...what singers what great,great groups.

marv2
03-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Marvin smith i think is the guy from the softones,whom i was asking about,great first tenor,who maybe could've been a temp,what do ya think?

I am not familiar with him to be honest.

arr&bee
03-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Ok,if you can listen to some of the[softones]work and let me know what you think of his vocals.

StuBass1
03-11-2015, 08:45 PM
https://youtu.be/TJSFbO3BupQ

Tony Williams [[The Platters)
Greatest of them all???

marv2
03-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Ok,if you can listen to some of the[softones]work and let me know what you think of his vocals.

Doing it in a just a few .... thanks JAI

marv2
03-11-2015, 08:57 PM
https://youtu.be/TJSFbO3BupQ

Tony Williams [[The Platters)
Greatest of them all???

Stu, of course Tony Williams! He was once in lifetime vocalists like Elvis, Jackie, Marvin, etc.

detmotownguy
03-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Stu, of course Tony Williams! He was once in lifetime vocalists like Elvis, Jackie, Marvin, etc.

Hi Marv, this is prob the best thread we have had here in a long while. Very informative/refreshing. Thanks for all the viewpoints and videos. The input from so many members is invigorating.

marv2
03-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Here's what I listened to of the Softones. They were good...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxMUZ9avnM

marv2
03-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Hi Marv, this is prob the best thread we have had here in a long while. Very informative/refreshing. Thanks for all the viewpoints and videos. The input from so many members is invigorating.

Thank you Detmotownguy! I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am!

arr&bee
03-12-2015, 05:29 PM
So marv,what do you think of his vocals where would you rank him?could he have been a temp? I've seen the softones and they could dance too.

arr&bee
03-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Hey my temptaholics,i was gonna post this in another post but i'll put it here and you can tell me what you this,the temptations are an american institution so how about thier original five headed mike being donated to the smithsonian,it would be a crowning achievement for not only for the temps but motown itself,maybe have berry himself there with the group..oh and that should include dennis.

marv2
03-14-2015, 05:48 PM
So marv,what do you think of his vocals where would you rank him?could he have been a temp? I've seen the softones and they could dance too.

Good vocals, very rich reminds me of none other than Mr. Russell Thompkins Jr and his group the Stylistics. To be fair to him, I'd need to see a performance clip of him singing, but he has the pipes to do it.

marv2
03-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Hey my temptaholics,i was gonna post this in another post but i'll put it here and you can tell me what you this,the temptations are an american institution so how about thier original five headed mike being donated to the smithsonian,it would be a crowning achievement for not only for the temps but motown itself,maybe have berry himself there with the group..oh and that should include dennis.

Now that is a great an unique idea. There is that memorial to Eddie Kendricks in Birmingham that features the 5 headed mic as well.

arr&bee
03-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Question for my temptaholics..when was the last time you saw the[classic]temps in concert? For me it was[1967]at crampton hall in d.c.

StuBass1
03-17-2015, 08:56 PM
As a 15 year old kid...my friend Paul WIlliams invited me and a buddy to hang out with them at The Roostertail when they recorded a Live album. We hung out in the dressing room before and after the show as several Motown artists and Berry Gordy [[with his kids and Chris Clark) continued coming backstage...Ruffin was big hit with the ladies..Paul kept sending us to the bar to get him scotch and drinks for us...I could handle whiskey sours [[LOL) and wore sunglasses to look older, although I probably looked like I was 13 [[LMAO)...Those were fun times...

marv2
03-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Question for my temptaholics..when was the last time you saw the[classic]temps in concert? For me it was[1967]at crampton hall in d.c.

My Daddy went to see them in '65 [[they were his favorite group). I saw them at Christmas 1968 but by then Dennis was in the group.

marv2
03-17-2015, 09:07 PM
They just played this little gem on Soul Town of Sirius radio............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fDPzaKIE9M

detmotownguy
03-18-2015, 12:43 AM
As a 15 year old kid...my friend Paul WIlliams invited me and a buddy to hang out with them at The Roostertail when they recorded a Live album. We hung out in the dressing room before and after the show as several Motown artists and Berry Gordy [[with his kids and Chris Clark) continued coming backstage...Ruffin was big hit with the ladies..Paul kept sending us to the bar to get him scotch and drinks for us...I could handle whiskey sours [[LOL) and wore sunglasses to look older, although I probably looked like I was 13 [[LMAO)...Those were fun times...

wow, great memory for you. I was looking some old Tempts vids and was thinking in a sense he was a lead singer. The leads he did were fantastic and his dance moves were incredible. He was very important to the success of the group. I am not dissing the others . Just giving him credit.

detmotownguy
03-18-2015, 12:52 AM
My Daddy went to see them in '65 [[they were his favorite group). I saw them at Christmas 1968 but by then Dennis was in the group.

Hey Marv!!!!!!! Nice to see more life to this thread. I been thinking how the Tempts were such a large part of our socialization growing up in Detroit! Although more so with Dennis as lead, cause of my age. Psychedelic Shack and Ball of Confusion were so radio friendly it would make you pause and listen!

Where did you see the Tempts with Dennis?

thanks

marv2
03-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Hey Marv!!!!!!! Nice to see more life to this thread. I been thinking how the Tempts were such a large part of our socialization growing up in Detroit! Although more so with Dennis as lead, cause of my age. Psychedelic Shack and Ball of Confusion were so radio friendly it would make you pause and listen!

Where did you see the Tempts with Dennis?

thanks

Thanks Detmotownguy. It was sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

satipe
03-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Hi Marv,

As like others who have posted, this is a wonderful thread and I have truly enjoyed it so thank you. I feel BLESSED that "my kids" have met and/or telephone interviewed 17 of the 22 men who can say they are/were a Temptation. I feel even more BLESSED knowing that one became a very good friend of mine and now that he is gone, I miss our phone chats.

Thank you.

marv2
03-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi Marv,

As like others who have posted, this is a wonderful thread and I have truly enjoyed it so thank you. I feel BLESSED that "my kids" have met and/or telephone interviewed 17 of the 22 men who can say they are/were a Temptation. I feel even more BLESSED knowing that one became a very good friend of mine and now that he is gone, I miss our phone chats.

Thank you.

Satipe, you are welcome thank you! I am happy others are enjoying it as much as I am.

edafan
03-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Good work here Marv.
I know it's a labor of love One little note is that I wished Allie Ollie Woodson received more notice for his great efforts. But the time he was in the group the music industry changed away from the great soul groups. Sad but true. Edafan

marv2
03-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Good work here Marv.
I know it's a labor of love One little note is that I wished Allie Ollie Woodson received more notice for his great efforts. But the time he was in the group the music industry changed away from the great soul groups. Sad but true. Edafan

Edafan, thank you so much. I agree about Ali Woodson. However, he was able develop an individual/solo following something that had been difficult to do since the days when Eddie first left the group. People were starting to know who Ali-Ollie Woodson was outside of the Temptations.

midnightman
03-18-2015, 10:17 PM
I always felt as far as the multi-voiced Tempts, David Ruffin and Ali-Ollie Woodson had the most range.

David, definitely. He was the king of the male whistle register singers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij-o4vLOprY

marv2
03-18-2015, 10:19 PM
I always felt as far as the multi-voiced Tempts, David Ruffin and Ali-Ollie Woodson had the most range.

David, definitely. He was the king of the male whistle register singers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij-o4vLOprY

Great observation and in total agreement here. I would add Marvin Junior of the Dells to this elite list.

arr&bee
03-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Maybe no one sang with the pain in his heart like david,when he sang sad you felt it too...[but after i've been crying allnight,the sun is cold and the new day seems old].

marv2
03-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Maybe no one sang with the pain in his heart like david,when he sang sad you felt it too...[but after i've been crying allnight,the sun is cold and the new day seems old].

You mean like this don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_lNksyHVho

StuBass1
03-19-2015, 08:58 PM
You mean like this don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_lNksyHVho

Proud to say that's my brother Bruce's horn and string arrangement...I attended one of David's vocal sessions at United Sound for this album...'

marv2
03-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Proud to say that's my brother Bruce's horn and string arrangement...I attended one of David's vocal sessions at United Sound for this album...'

Ahhhh, really? I always thought this was a great recording. I bought the album when it was released back in '79.

gary
03-19-2015, 09:49 PM

My next door neighbor and I caught the bus to the Michigan State Fair in '66 to see them. Martha & the Vandellas and Tammi Terrell were on the show too. Technically the last time I saw the classic Tempts perform was at Cobo Arena in Detroit in 1969. Dennis was in the group by then, but Ruffin jumped on the stage and took over the mic for a minute, I thought the place was about to explode. I've seen them many times since then, but these were my favorite shows.

Nice thread Marv.

marv2
03-20-2015, 11:43 PM
My next door neighbor and I caught the bus to the Michigan State Fair in '66 to see them. Martha & the Vandellas and Tammi Terrell were on the show too. Technically the last time I saw the classic Tempts perform was at Cobo Arena in Detroit in 1969. Dennis was in the group by then, but Ruffin jumped on the stage and took over the mic for a minute, I thought the place was about to explode. I've seen them many times since then, but these were my favorite shows.

Nice thread Marv.

Thank you Gary. The Temptations were such a big part of the music l grew up with.....

marv2
03-20-2015, 11:50 PM
I, like millions remember watching this particular performance on the Ed Sullivan Show. In the days before cable most of the nation tuned in to the same programs across the country. The Temptations were one of those rare groups where the individual members became known by name and look. They were all very different but as a unit....the sound that they produced could not be matched!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JxvzFNvs1Y

REDHOT
03-21-2015, 04:44 AM
This is good read Marv,good info,i stop keeping up with The Temptations long ago,but i'm catching up on them,because of this post,Thanks for sharing Marv.

StuBass1
03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Saw The Temptations last night here in So Cal...Give Otis credit for keeping the legacy going...Pretty full house for a small-mid-size venue [[although some tickets were given away through a radio station promotion). Having seen the classic Temptations perform back in the day a few times...and their Vegas act with the Four Tops in the 80's... those expecting the classic group from years ago..perhaps some of the "electricity " and excitement in the air from the classic days was lacking , but taking it for what it is a nostalgic tribute trip down memory lane, it was pretty good entertainment..which is sorely lacking with many of todays performers. I won't break down individual members but somewhat of a shame that Otis and Dennis couldn't take the best of both groups and form one, but I suspect the money and egos would not allow that to happen, but think it could bring about at least a bit more "authentic" performance...Perhaps the biggest mistake I made was playing a Temptations Greatest Hits CD on the way to last nights performance...

arr&bee
03-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Stu,that's a point i've been trying to make for years why can't dennis and otis get together for the sake of the legecy,they are the last two from the period that most of us here remember at this point and time with them both in their seventies ego really shouldn't be a problem,come on fellas make it happen and bring back the magic once more.

StuBass1
03-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Stu,that's a point i've been trying to make for years why can't dennis and otis get together for the sake of the legecy,they are the last two from the period that most of us here remember at this point and time with them both in their seventies ego really shouldn't be a problem,come on fellas make it happen and bring back the magic once more.

Agree Jai...but I assume in the end It comes down to the money split and the fact that Otis fired Dennis twice, lawsuits over the naming use of the brand, etc...There are 10 guys working now, but I suspect that an Otis-Dennis reunion could demand a bit higher performance fee...

arr&bee
03-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Yeah stu i know you're right,but it's sad none the less.

marv2
03-22-2015, 11:38 PM
This is good read Marv,good info,i stop keeping up with The Temptations long ago,but i'm catching up on them,because of this post,Thanks for sharing Marv.

You are welcome Redhot!!!

supremester
03-23-2015, 02:39 AM
I am so jealous. I never saw the original Tempts and also never saw Martha in The 60's or Tammi. Do you recall either of their set lists? How was Tammi?

I didn't know David was still jumping onstage in '69 - how did the group react? you guys were all so lucky to grow up near Detroit. We were more likely to get Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Association, and Herman's Hermits.... except we got DMF/DMC several times.

Nice thread Marv.

supremester
03-23-2015, 02:58 AM
I have seen Otis' group for the last time. A bunch of strangers and Otis does not make The Temptations to me. I thought they were a weak tribute act and Otis sweats like a piece of rancid pork.
Dennis' group is spot on and, IMO, much better than we have a right to expect given just one original Paul Williams Jr is fantastic.
I'be been told that Otis won't pay Dennis any more that what he pays the others and that he likes being the sole star or the group. If this is true, it makes sense as Otis' group works a lot as the official Temptations and might not get any additional gigs or higher fees than he already does. So he doesn't really need Dennis - only the audience does.
I don't believe he's keeping the legacy alive - he's just keeping Otis employed. If anything, his show hurts the legacy. I do give him credit for not trying to take over singing the leads however. He's wise to recognize his place and that has really helped sustain them.

Saw The Temptations last night here in So Cal...Give Otis credit for keeping the legacy going...Pretty full house for a small-mid-size venue [[although some tickets were given away through a radio station promotion). Having seen the classic Temptations perform back in the day a few times...and their Vegas act with the Four Tops in the 80's... those expecting the classic group from years ago..perhaps some of the "electricity " and excitement in the air from the classic days was lacking , but taking it for what it is a nostalgic tribute trip down memory lane, it was pretty good entertainment..which is sorely lacking with many of todays performers. I won't break down individual members but somewhat of a shame that Otis and Dennis couldn't take the best of both groups and form one, but I suspect the money and egos would not allow that to happen, but think it could bring about at least a bit more "authentic" performance...Perhaps the biggest mistake I made was playing a Temptations Greatest Hits CD on the way to last nights performance...

Bokiluis
03-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Here's an inquiry left of center, since there was a MoWest studio....were there ever a free standing MoWest office or was it incorporated under the "Motown" umbrella save for Melodyland Nashville, because it is my understanding that Nashville doesn't take you seriously until you have an office on Music Row or in Nashville in general?

StuBass1
03-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Motown's offices were in a high rise on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood...Obviously rented enough space to have the Motown logo in front of the building...The studio was not far away in W. Hollywood...Berry Gordy's ex wife Rae Singleton ran the studio operation...

Bokiluis
03-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I am so jealous. I never saw the original Tempts and also never saw Martha in The 60's or Tammi. Do you recall either of their set lists? How was Tammi?

I didn't know David was still jumping onstage in '69 - how did the group react? you guys were all so lucky to grow up near Detroit. We were more likely to get Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Association, and Herman's Hermits.... except we got DMF/DMC several times.

Unfortunately, neither did I. I would have loved to have seen The Classic Five [[including Dennis Edwards)I have most of the albums through Dennis Edwards' first stint and the fantastic, "For Lovers Only" classically produced by Richard Perry. Save for Otis Williams though, if I saw them live....I could not identify them. [[Exception: Damon Harris, as long as it is within the context of The Temptations). Never once listened to it, but, I like the Art Deco, 'Erte-inspired cover for "Wings of Love".

Bokiluis
03-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Motown's offices were in a high rise on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood...Obviously rented enough space to have the Motown logo in front of the building...The studio was not far away in W. Hollywood...Berry Gordy's ex wife Rae Singleton ran the studio operation...

Thanks Stu. Raynoma is listed as Executive Producer for one of the most underrated albums, the "Sherrick" debut by the late Sheerick....a great Motown inspired album.

gary
03-23-2015, 01:44 PM

I don't remember the set lists for the State Fair show [[I was only 13), but it's reasonable to assume The Tempts, Tammi and Martha & the Vandellas all performed their major hits. I remember the crowd being in a frenzy, people were even climbing trees to get a better look. After the show, Tammi was standing behind a fence along the side of the stage, smoking a Kool, chatting with fans and signing autographs. It was the only time I ever saw her in person and she was gorgeous.

The Tempts show at Cobo featured the same basic set list that appeared on the Live in London album, which was released a few months later. They even wore the same red and gold stage outfits in the cover photo that they wore in Detroit. As for Ruffin taking the stage, I thought it had been pre-arranged; since it was a hometown performance. I didn't know until later that he wasn't invited and had done the same thing at other Tempts' gigs in other cities.

motony
03-23-2015, 02:13 PM
last night on TV here in Central Fla. there was a commercial about some kind of benefit to take place at the Dr. Phillips Performing Art Center downtown Orlando and the entertainment would be Richard Streets' Temptations!! I about flipped cause I know Dennis has to call his group Dennis Edwards Temptation Review. Whats up with this?

motony
03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
sorry I didn't put this in the first post but what really got my attention about this is that Richard street passed away a couple of years ago.Strange, I know.

StuBass1
03-23-2015, 03:09 PM
sorry I didn't put this in the first post but what really got my attention about this is that Richard street passed away a couple of years ago.Strange, I know.

Richard passed away two years ago...At the time, there were at least 4 Temptations groups performing, Otis, Dennis, Richard, and Glenn Leonard. Richard was about to leave for Dubai with Joyce Vincent and the FLO's...After Richard passed away, the people in Dubai had to scramble to get one of the other Temptation groups. On March 20 2013 I had our Funk Brothers Hollywood Walk Of Fame ceremony. The three remaining members of Richards group [[along with Richards widow) showed up at our after party in Beverly Hills and performed along with Stevie Wonder, Freda Payne, and others.

StuBass1
03-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Gary...I was at the State Fair gig too...Got to hang out with the guys and met the beautiful Tammi backstage...I still can recall her magnificent eyes to this day...As you mentioned, she was so sweet to us kids..

marv2
03-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Gary...I was at the State Fair gig too...Got to hang out with the guys and met the beautiful Tammi backstage...I still can recall her magnificent eyes to this day...As you mentioned, she was so sweet to us kids..

Stu you've had some great, memorable experiences.

StuBass1
03-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Stu you've had some great, memorable experiences.

Yes sir...So far lol

arr&bee
03-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah stu,to have known[paul williams]and the rest of the classic temps,cool,very cool.

StuBass1
03-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah stu,to have known[paul williams]and the rest of the classic temps,cool,very cool.

Yes Jai...But in Pauls case a bit bittersweet. I ran into Paul one day at a burger joint called Biffs on West Grand Blvd. I hadn't seen him in a while. He wasn't looking well at all, but invited me to have lunch with him and we found a booth near the back. He was still is kind, sweet self, but obviously troubled. Talked about some Temptations stuff and he realized I knew he wasn't performing with them at the time. He told me he was working on some solo material. We said goodbye and planned to stay in touch. It probably wasn't two months later that I heard of his tragic death, although I didn't know the cause at the time. Paul Williams...RIP

arr&bee
03-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Well,i'm thinking of one of his best...slow down heart..paul forever!

marv2
03-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Yes Jai...But in Pauls case a bit bittersweet. I ran into Paul one day at a burger joint called Biffs on West Grand Blvd. I hadn't seen him in a while. He wasn't looking well at all, but invited me to have lunch with him and we found a booth near the back. He was still is kind, sweet self, but obviously troubled. Talked about some Temptations stuff and he realized I knew he wasn't performing with them at the time. He told me he was working on some solo material. We said goodbye and planned to stay in touch. It probably wasn't two months later that I heard of his tragic death, although I didn't know the cause at the time. Paul Williams...RIP

That was awful. To add to that, the weekend of Paul's funeral David and Eddie were down in Toledo and were robbed!

arr&bee
03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Rough week.

marv2
03-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Rough week.

I remember it being a very sad one.

arr&bee
03-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Well,i always remember the great,great music and performances from our temps,as i've said before the temptations body of music is like an endless table with songs for days on end all the great singers all the great lyrics,and if you listen closely you might hear a beat or verse or an instrument that you didn't know was there,that's part of the fun...tall-tan-talented-teasin-temptin temptations forever!!!

marv2
03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Well,i always remember the great,great music and performances from our temps,as i've said before the temptations body of music is like an endless table with songs for days on end all the great singers all the great lyrics,and if you listen closely you might hear a beat or verse or an instrument that you didn't know was there,that's part of the fun...tall-tan-talented-teasin-temptin temptations forever!!!

This is the song that was out when I thought I was "grown" LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWFD82B77Q

marv2
03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Here dem bad boys are doin' it in the eighties.....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7TsUesuG8o

jboy88
03-25-2015, 09:43 PM
I obviously wasn't around for the Classic era, and sadly, Eddie, David and Melvin were all gone by time I got hip to them around late 97. But I did get to see them in 2000 at the Birmingham Heritage festival. This was around the time they were enjoying a renaissance following the Movie and the release of the Phoenix Raising album IMO "Stay" is the last great song the Temptations recorded and I was shocked to hear Bo Harrington, barely sang a note on the Album. But in Theo's case, the Temps loss the Tops gain!

I remember being very excited to know that The Temptations were still going strong in the 90s and early 00s. I always thought the Movie would of ended on a happier note if they'd shown Otis and the then-current lineup performing "Stay" instead of the Actors pantomiming "My Girl".

marv2
03-25-2015, 10:00 PM
I obviously wasn't around for the Classic era, and sadly, Eddie, David and Melvin were all gone by time I got hip to them around late 97. But I did get to see them in 2000 at the Birmingham Heritage festival. This was around the time they were enjoying a renaissance following the Movie and the release of the Phoenix Raising album IMO "Stay" is the last great song the Temptations recorded and I was shocked to hear Bo Harrington, barely sang a note on the Album. But in Theo's case, the Temps loss the Tops gain!

I remember being very excited to know that The Temptations were still going strong in the 90s and early 00s. I always thought the Movie would of ended on a happier note if they'd shown Otis and the then-current lineup performing "Stay" instead of the Actors pantomiming "My Girl".

I agree. "Stay" was there last major commercial hit. The Tempts proved they still had it in them. The movie was nice and all ,but it was not very accurate. I enjoyed it, but how many inaccuracies can you all pick out?

I'll start! First of all it was filmed in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh does NOT look like Detroit at all!

arr&bee
03-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaa,marv let's not start on the movie!!

marv2
03-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaa,marv let's not start on the movie!!

Ahhh, come on JAI, let's just examine it for a moment. Not for malicious purposes at all, just for fun to see how many inaccuracies we can find. Like there being 2 Primes and 3 Primettes and having them perform together on stage at the same time! LOL! The movie was for entertainment and not a documentary. Please? hehehehehehehe.......

arr&bee
03-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Hehehehe...oh well,how about eddie being about[5'7]and david[leon]towering over him,how about the scene in the bathroom with otis and blue meeting berry with blue saying[the things you are doing with motown]haaaaa,there was no[motown]it was still[hitsville].

marv2
03-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Hehehehe...oh well,how about eddie being about[5'7]and david[leon]towering over him,how about the scene in the bathroom with otis and blue meeting berry with blue saying[the things you are doing with motown]haaaaa,there was no[motown]it was still[hitsville].

Yeah the guy playing Eddie favored him some, but was way too short! LOL! The bathroom scene was suppose to be true, but it was just Otis meeting Berry and you're right, there was no "Motown" by that point.

Here's one. Melvin dying in his Mom's kitchen. He didn't . He passed away in the hospital!

gary
03-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Agreed. The guys who played Paul and Eddie were both too short. But both of them were decent actors; I guess that's good enough. I love Pittsburgh, so even though I am a Detroiter, I don't have a big problem with them using Pittsburgh to "play" Detroit, although it would have been nice if it could have been filmed here. My biggest complaint is with the scenes that take place in and around the Hitsville studios. The neighborhood in the movie looks NOTHING like the actual location. Same thing with the Woodward Ave/Fox Theater scene in the opening. Little things like that make a lot of this movie unconvincing to me.

Marv...since you say we're only discussing non-malicious topics, I won't go into all the historic inaccuracies and flat-out lies in the movie. I'm sure most of us already know what they are anyway, right?

marv2
03-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Agreed. The guys who played Paul and Eddie were both too short. But both of them were decent actors; I guess that's good enough. I love Pittsburgh, so even though I am a Detroiter, I don't have a big problem with them using Pittsburgh to "play" Detroit, although it would have been nice if it could have been filmed here. My biggest complaint is with the scenes that take place in and around the Hitsville studios. The neighborhood in the movie looks NOTHING like the actual location. Same thing with the Woodward Ave/Fox Theater scene in the opening. Little things like that make a lot of this movie unconvincing to me.

Marv...since you say we're only discussing non-malicious topics, I won't go into all the historic inaccuracies and flat-out lies in the movie. I'm sure most of us already know what they are anyway, right?

Gary, you are sooooo right! Detroiters will know that some of the "details" in the movie are completely wrong. Historic inaccuracies are fair game. What about the parts with Johnnie Mae Matthews? I love Pittsburgh too, but Pittsburgh is a hilly city, some neighborhoods have row houses ,etc . Detroit is nothing like that.

edafan
03-26-2015, 07:46 PM
My son wore out the VHS tapes of The Temptations movie and The Jackson 5 movie;
so much I had to buy the DVD's.
He is 36 y o and when he visits, he still wants to see them
edafan

marv2
03-26-2015, 07:53 PM
My son wore out the VHS tapes of The Temptations movie and The Jackson 5 movie;
so much I had to buy the DVD's.
He is 36 y o and when he visits, he still wants to see them
edafan

I have a younger brother that loves these movies. I enjoyed them for what they were ...................entertainment. When came to a factual representation of individuals and events, I took exception to many things depicted in these films. My biggest problem is that young people will believe them to be truth. I actually had a kid ask me, which singer replaced "Effie" in the Supremes! LOL!

arr&bee
03-26-2015, 08:07 PM
I too have the movie,but i will still love to see a theatrecal version more closely tied to the book...the one thing that i didn't like was the way[blue]was made to look like a wimp.

marv2
03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I too have the movie,but i will still love to see a theatrecal version more closely tied to the book...the one thing that i didn't like was the way[blue]was made to look like a wimp.

Blue [[Melvin) was NO wimp in reality!

marv2
03-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Strange but the guy that played Melvin, looked more like Otis to me.

arr&bee
03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Yep,me too,so many story lines to explore but we know time and money were limited...blue and eddie were too friendly in the movie when we know that they didn't get along and paul's drinking was partly because of his relationship with the lady who worked for the supremes.

gary
03-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Strange but the guy that played Melvin, looked more like Otis to me.

First thing I noticed.

marv2
03-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Yep,me too,so many story lines to explore but we know time and money were limited...blue and eddie were too friendly in the movie when we know that they didn't get along and paul's drinking was partly because of his relationship with the lady who worked for the supremes.

Yeah, Winnie, Florence Ballards's niece or cousin he was involved in. The Temptations or even Motown as a whole deserve one of those Ken Burns documentary treatments. What do you think?

marv2
03-26-2015, 08:52 PM
First thing I noticed.

The nailed the Smokey character. I thought the Berry Gordy character was too much like the one in Dreamgirls in appearance. The guy that played Richard looked nothing like him whatsoever. I know they couldn't show everything thing, but I wished they had left out the circumstances surrounding David Ruffin's death.

arr&bee
03-26-2015, 08:56 PM
But back to the movie,how bout the cadillacs,and it was funny because by his own admission otis didn't drive until 68 so he wouldn't have had one at that point,how about the scene where al gets fired because he doesn't want to go back on stage,when he acually was the only one who did want to go back and argued with paul which lead to him hitting paul with the bottle.

marv2
03-26-2015, 09:02 PM
But back to the movie,how bout the cadillacs,and it was funny because by his own admission otis didn't drive until 68 so he wouldn't have had one at that point,how about the scene where al gets fired because he doesn't want to go back on stage,when he acually was the only one who did want to go back and argued with paul which lead to him hitting paul with the bottle.

That didn't make sense about the car and Otis, but the whole portrayal of Al Bryant and the actor playing him was totally all wrong! Al was a "pretty boy". The guy playing him reminded me of Sean Levert LOL! Al had a drinking problem he would not have wasted liquor by throwing a bottle at Paul unless he was sure the bottle was empty hehehehehehe!

Richard Street said that NONE of the Temptations received a dime from that movie EXCEPT Otis Williams. I am reading Richard's book at the moment.