PDA

View Full Version : Why So Many Temptations???

test

Pages : 1 [2] 3

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 09:06 PM
The Cadillac thing was pure BS...More of the musicians had Cadillac's than did The Temptations...Smokey always had Cadillac's...I know because I used to help his valet Gaylord wash em [[the lime green one was my favorite) LOL...I recall Levi having a Cadillac...Paul had a 66 or 67 Pontiac Catalina...Silver with a black vinyl top..In about 68 he got a Corvette [[yellow as I recall)...

marv2
03-26-2015, 09:09 PM
The Cadillac thing was pure BS...More of the musicians had Cadillac's than did The Temptations...Smokey always had Cadillac's...I know because I used to help his valet Gaylord wash em [[the lime green one was my favorite) LOL...I recall Levi having a Cadillac...Paul had a 66 or 67 Pontiac Catalina...Silver with a black vinyl top..In about 68 he got a Corvette [[yellow as I recall)...

Stu, thank you for confirming that! My Dad's favorite car in those days was the Pontiac Catalina also before moved on to the Electra 225's.......... LOL!

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Deuce and a quarters were the bomb back then...It was The Funk Brothers who went Cadillac crazy as soon as they started making some decent money. They would line em up along West Grand Blvd. Funniest story was Eddie Willis who bought I believe an El Dorado...A month after buying it he decided he didn't like the color, so he went to the local hardware store and yeah...you guess it...painted it red with house paint himself...Talk about depreciation LOL...

marv2
03-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Deuce and a quarters were the bomb back then...It was The Funk Brothers who went Cadillac crazy as soon as they started making some decent money. They would line em up along West Grand Blvd. Funniest story was Eddie Willis who bought I believe an El Dorado...A month after buying it he decided he didn't like the color, so he went to the local hardware store and yeah...you guess it...painted it red with house paint himself...Talk about depreciation LOL...

[[Bustin' out laughing here! LOL!!!) Eddie Willis would have been what we called "county" back then! LOL! Yep, yep Deuce and quarters were the s&%t in those days. He had an electric blue one with the white walls. Funny you never hear Berry talk about material things like cars, but then again, he did have the mansion!

marv2
03-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Stu, you were able to get into the Upper Deck at the Roostertail right?

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
I was Pauls guest at the Upper Deck [[with my friend Mark Bayoff who I just learned passed away in 2010 I'm sorry to hear. We went to Beatles concerts together and Tempts shows too)when they recorded the Live album...Anyways, we hung out in the dressing room before and after the first show...We were about 15. We stood right next to the guys as they did their little prayer circle ritual they did before all their performances. Many of the Motown people were there coming in and out of the dressing room, including BG and Chris Clark and two of Berrys sons dressed in matching suits...Paul kept sending us to the bar to get him scotch, and we were drinking too...Rules were a little looser those days ...And dear Eddie WIllis...Mississippi all the way LOL

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 09:55 PM
I have a very old picture postcard of the Tempts signed by all the guys [[except Otis for some reason). Paul signed it to "My friend Stupid"...which is what he called me since he had never met a Stu before and used to drag me around introducing me as that...Stupid LOL...Otis's manager Billy Bannister wants to hook me and Otis up for a one on one to talk about the old days...I guess I can get Otis to finally sign that picture then LOL...

detmotownguy
03-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I was Pauls guest at the Upper Deck [[with my friend Mark Bayoff who I just learned passed away in 2010 I'm sorry to hear. We went to Beatles concerts together and Tempts shows too)when they recorded the Live album...Anyways, we hung out in the dressing room before and after the first show...We were about 15. We stood right next to the guys as they did their little prayer circle ritual they did before all their performances. Many of the Motown people were there coming in and out of the dressing room, including BG and Chris Clark and two of Berrys sons dressed in matching suits...Paul kept sending us to the bar to get him scotch, and we were drinking too...Rules were a little looser those days ...And dear Eddie WIllis...Mississippi all the way LOL

Was Berry dating Chris Clark around this timeframe?

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Yup...right after his Diana Ross days [[or just before..can't remember)....They were both living at Berrys West Outer Drive house [[not at the same time LOL)...That's the house that Marvin bought when Berry moved to the mansion...

marv2
03-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Stu, use to wished I were old enough to get into the nightclubs in those days. Even 15 would have been more acceptable than a 6.7. 8 year old LOL! Yeah Eddie Willis just sounds like a country dude to me. I am sorry about the loss of your friend Mark. People come in and out of our lives sometimes we do not realize how important a role they play.

marv2
03-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Yup...right after his Diana Ross days [[or just before..can't remember)....They were both living at Berrys West Outer Drive house [[not at the same time LOL)...That's the house that Marvin bought when Berry moved to the mansion...

I've seen those houses. Outer Drive was always a neat street, at least up through the 1980s.

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Thanks Marv...Yeah...we lost touch when we went to different high school. His mom drove us to the Roostertail which is how I know I wasn't 16 and didn't have a license...Just googled Mark out of the blue and learned of his passing...His mom was very pretty and had great connections for concert and sporting event tickets...

StuBass1
03-26-2015, 10:43 PM
W Outer Drive was nice...Funny thing [[or not so funny) is when Berry bought that house from a family named Zack, he actually wanted to buy a house in the more prestigious Sherwood Forest on the other side of Livernois...He couldn't buy the house he really wanted because the owners didn't want to be the first family there to sell their house to a "negro"...Berry Gordy!

marv2
03-27-2015, 08:29 AM
W Outer Drive was nice...Funny thing [[or not so funny) is when Berry bought that house from a family named Zack, he actually wanted to buy a house in the more prestigious Sherwood Forest on the other side of Livernois...He couldn't buy the house he really wanted because the owners didn't want to be the first family there to sell their house to a "negro"...Berry Gordy!

Uh huh, I remember when Sherwood Forest was "exclusive" and everyone wanted to live there. I just found out one of my relatives was living in Bloomfield Hills all these years. She passed away last month.

StuBass1
03-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Palmer Woods, just east of Sherwood Forest bordering Woodward Ave which was even more exclusive and actually had it in it's covenant that homeowners couldn't sell to
"Negros"...The Fisher Brothers [[General Motors) had their side by side mansions there, as did the Detroit Archbishop who lived in a huge mansion. Not sure when those restrictions ended...probably around 1970. Jews around that time couldn't buy a house in the Grosse Pointe's [[where Anita Baker lives today)...so new money Jews and Blacks leaving Detroit went north to Bloomfield Hills...My mom and dad [[RIP) moved to Bloomfield Hills in around 1979. Anybody could live in Bloomfield Hills if you had the money...

marv2
03-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Palmer Woods, just east of Sherwood Forest bordering Woodward Ave which was even more exclusive and actually had it in it's covenant that homeowners couldn't sell to
"Negros"...The Fisher Brothers [[General Motors) had their side by side mansions there, as did the Detroit Archbishop who lived in a huge mansion. Not sure when those restrictions ended...probably around 1970. Jews around that time couldn't buy a house in the Grosse Pointe's [[where Anita Baker lives today)...so new money Jews and Blacks leaving Detroit went north to Bloomfield Hills...My mom and dad [[RIP) moved to Bloomfield Hills in around 1979. Anybody could live in Bloomfield Hills if you had the money...

Stu you got it! It was like when I was a kid you didn't die and go to heaven, you died and got to live in Grosse Point! LOL!

arr&bee
03-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Great stuff guys,more,more.

arr&bee
03-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Hey marv,if we're still making fun of the movie how bout the scene where otis gets his hair conked and his kid brother says that he looks like he lost a bet,most little brother idolize their big brothers...and by the way does otis have a younger brother?

marv2
03-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Hey marv,if we're still making fun of the movie how bout the scene where otis gets his hair conked and his kid brother says that he looks like he lost a bet,most little brother idolize their big brothers...and by the way does otis have a younger brother?

JAI you are right about brothers and how they pick, but I never knew Otis Williams had a brother.

detmotownguy
03-29-2015, 12:43 AM
Damn Marv this thread is turning into a mini series of its own lol. Was the portrayal of johnnie mae even close to being historically accurate? Thanks

StuBass1
03-29-2015, 12:51 AM
Not to butt in here...but Ms Matthews approached us when I was with The Strides and wanted to manage us...around 1967...We declined as we were about to sign a contract with MS record who did a release on us [[they also had Louis Curry and Lonette McKee)...I knew she was somebody based upon folks knowing who she was...but she appeared to me as some sort of Detroit musical "gadfly"...or maybe I mean "Gatsby"...one or the other... maybe bit of both..

detmotownguy
03-29-2015, 01:09 AM
Oh butt in please.....the question was supposed to address the group. I messed up as I am real tired as I have been on the trip from hell so to speak. Thanks for the input.

marv2
03-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Damn Marv this thread is turning into a mini series of its own lol. Was the portrayal of johnnie mae even close to being historically accurate? Thanks

I really don't know. I didn't know a lot about her. There was a webisode on SDF some years back that talked about her.

arr&bee
03-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Haaaaaaaaaa...historically accurate,we are talking about the temps movie???

marv2
03-31-2015, 11:57 PM
Haaaaaaaaaa...historically accurate,we are talking about the temps movie???

It was a nice story made for TV. The real story has not been told yet.

midnightman
04-01-2015, 01:48 AM
The Tempts' movie was full of errors [[error on top of error on top of error).

First off:

*They picked the wrong men for Otis and Melvin. The light-skinned one should've played Melvin [[but he lacked Melvin's deep voice), the dark-skinned one should've played Otis [[but he was too deep in his voice to emulate Otis). [[I know it was already mentioned by y'all but I was also bothered by that lol)

*The Primes and Primettes never really sang together and the Primettes weren't that polished [[least from what I heard) lol plus only two Primes? LOL

*The man who played Berry Gordy, it seemed like they were trying to find a Billy Dee Williams character to play him. No one has yet to play Berry Gordy for how he looked, sounded [[high pitched) and acted [[maybe if a BG-approved MG film is made - Cameron Crowe, hope you're still planning that film - they can finally make the corrections for it).

*Johnnie Mae Matthews may have been tough willed but I doubt she was rightfully portrayed. Plus she was a businesswoman. In that scene where the Tempts are singing "My Girl" [[probably at Ed Sullivan's show, they don't say but the set looked Sullivan-ish), they locate her in some apartment making her look like she was still making ends meet when that wasn't the case, she might've not had hit records nationally but she was big time in Detroit.

*The aforementioned Al Bryant-Paul Williams fight: Paul was the one who didn't wanna perform, Al did. A fight ensued, the bottle and Al was fired by Otis almost immediately [[he didn't quit, I don't think, as it's seen in the film).

*Also did the actual Temptations with Ruff actually sing "Shout"? I could've sworn they sung another song where David did his moves?

*Al Bryant was light skinned as well. You mean they couldn't find a "bronze-skinned" brother to play Al? Lol

*Otis, I think, was an only child, so I'm surprised about a brother being in the house since he was only seen in early scenes of the film.

*Otis described the first time he approached Melvin to join the Siberians, Melvin was spooked by him dressed in all leather and his hair all conked with his pencil mustache [[Melvin thought Otis was a gang member/hooligan) until Otis finally cornered him and said "I just want you to join my group" so why in the scene where the chase happened was Otis still wearing non-offensive looking clothes?! LOL

*In a spoof, when the "classic Tempts" lineup first enter Hitsville to record "The Way You Do the Things You Do", Otis is without his mustache, go into the studio, mustache appears magically lmao

*Why was Tammi Terrell dark skinned in the movie??? They had Tammi looking like Diana! o_O And Diana was light skinned [[huh???)

*David's limo looked tragic compared to the real thing. XD

*I'm sure when David was voted out of the Tempts, there was NO scene of David making some dramatic "I made y'all a$$es" statement. Cornelius Grant, I think, said David got the news from phone and told Cornelius "they're gonna beg for me back". Heard he cried too. Eddie was the only one who didn't vote him out, hence why they remained friends.

*While it's true Otis got tired of David jumping in to perform with the group, it was a gradual process. I don't know if a fight occurred the last time David jumped in but security stopped him from jumping in at another Tempts show. After that, David released "My Whole World Ended".

*I agree about Richard Street. Looked nothing like him.

*Was Paul REALLY that tore up onstage from alcohol? I mean not saying that didn't happen but it looked...weird. I'm sure the sickle cell was messing him up [[he was really sick with that and that might've affected his performances as well, T-Boz and Georgeanna Tillman's son can tell you having sickle cell is no picnic).

*Of course in another dramatic scene they had Paul screaming, drunkenly, at the Hitsville offices after a car tried to run him over, then he cried and sped away only to commit suicide later. Also wasn't Paul separated from his wife at the time? I doubt they were fighting that night.

*The scene where the Tempts are cutting Papa Was a Rolling Stone had a few spoofs in it: Damon Harris looked weird with a mustache [[he looked like Larenz Tate???) and Dennis sings two parts instead of letting Richard Street's character sing his part [[wtf) though I imagine they got the look of anger right since they didn't wanna do anymore of Norman's songs [[that was the big argument, not the lyric of "the third of September").

*Also, why did they forget to put a mustache on Eddie until 1974? Lol

*Wasn't Otis' family living in Las Vegas at the time before Otis' mother died [[I don't know if the family was still living in Detroit around the time of that scene, around 1980) and when did she die? Any of you Tempts fans know?

*They really showed Eddie and David to be "pr*cks" in the second half of the film but I doubt it was really like that. Eddie might've been moody but he was a team player [[David was always a non-conformist but that was his nature) and he was crushed when they fired him from the Tempts. That, and other issues, might've been why Eddie didn't talk to Otis that night of their 1989 induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame despite that scene where Eddie congratulates him and tells him the other trophy was "for Paul" [[though Eddie did say that in public at the ceremony).

*Also, no, David was not thrown from some moving car, someone took him to the hospital and they found out who he was and tried treating him before it was too late. As David, Jr. said, "my dad didn't die in a crack house, he died in a hospital". And he was treated as a legend [[which he should be). He wasn't no "John Doe" as the movie claims smh

*And oh yeah Melvin dying in his mom's house in Detroit. Dramatic purposes. We know he died in a Los Angeles hospital from complications of seizures... Melvin's mother was so incensed she sued Otis and NBC but they ruled in NBC/Otis' favor because they got away with the "loosely based" adjective. I also think David and Paul's families sued NBC/Otis [[not sure about Eddie's).

----
I guess when a film has that many errors, it's not enjoyable to watch. Same can be said about the Jacksons' movie.

arr&bee
04-02-2015, 06:44 PM
I've often said that although i like the temps movie,i would like to see a serious one made with spike lee directing,i've also said that maybe folks have been too hard on otis for the movie,ms.dupasse is the one we should be mad at...great points midnightman,the film made the temps look a little square,for instance there is a picture of the fellas backstage with some other guys who look like gangsters but in the film they seem surprised when david shows up with his pal[flen]there were always guys hanging out backstage with the group as otis stated about the dude who used to rub david's shoulders after performances and say...you know they're coming to see you papa...maybe one day some one will make a serious version but til then we'll have to make do with our[fantasy]version...temptations forever!!

marv2
04-02-2015, 07:07 PM

First off:

*They picked the wrong men for Otis and Melvin. The light-skinned one should've played Melvin [[but he lacked Melvin's deep voice), the dark-skinned one should've played Otis [[but he was too deep in his voice to emulate Otis). [[I know it was already mentioned by y'all but I was also bothered by that lol)

*The Primes and Primettes never really sang together and the Primettes weren't that polished [[least from what I heard) lol plus only two Primes? LOL

*The man who played Berry Gordy, it seemed like they were trying to find a Billy Dee Williams character to play him. No one has yet to play Berry Gordy for how he looked, sounded [[high pitched) and acted [[maybe if a BG-approved MG film is made - Cameron Crowe, hope you're still planning that film - they can finally make the corrections for it).

*Johnnie Mae Matthews may have been tough willed but I doubt she was rightfully portrayed. Plus she was a businesswoman. In that scene where the Tempts are singing "My Girl" [[probably at Ed Sullivan's show, they don't say but the set looked Sullivan-ish), they locate her in some apartment making her look like she was still making ends meet when that wasn't the case, she might've not had hit records nationally but she was big time in Detroit.

*The aforementioned Al Bryant-Paul Williams fight: Paul was the one who didn't wanna perform, Al did. A fight ensued, the bottle and Al was fired by Otis almost immediately [[he didn't quit, I don't think, as it's seen in the film).

*Also did the actual Temptations with Ruff actually sing "Shout"? I could've sworn they sung another song where David did his moves?

*Al Bryant was light skinned as well. You mean they couldn't find a "bronze-skinned" brother to play Al? Lol

*Otis, I think, was an only child, so I'm surprised about a brother being in the house since he was only seen in early scenes of the film.

*Otis described the first time he approached Melvin to join the Siberians, Melvin was spooked by him dressed in all leather and his hair all conked with his pencil mustache [[Melvin thought Otis was a gang member/hooligan) until Otis finally cornered him and said "I just want you to join my group" so why in the scene where the chase happened was Otis still wearing non-offensive looking clothes?! LOL

*In a spoof, when the "classic Tempts" lineup first enter Hitsville to record "The Way You Do the Things You Do", Otis is without his mustache, go into the studio, mustache appears magically lmao

*Why was Tammi Terrell dark skinned in the movie??? They had Tammi looking like Diana! o_O And Diana was light skinned [[huh???)

*I'm sure when David was voted out of the Tempts, there was NO scene of David making some dramatic "I made y'all a$$es" statement. Cornelius Grant, I think, said David got the news from phone and told Cornelius "they're gonna beg for me back". Heard he cried too. Eddie was the only one who didn't vote him out, hence why they remained friends.

*While it's true Otis got tired of David jumping in to perform with the group, it was a gradual process. I don't know if a fight occurred the last time David jumped in but security stopped him from jumping in at another Tempts show. After that, David released "My Whole World Ended".

*Was Paul REALLY that tore up onstage from alcohol? I mean not saying that didn't happen but it looked...weird. I'm sure the sickle cell was messing him up [[he was really sick with that and that might've affected his performances as well, T-Boz and Georgeanna Tillman's son can tell you having sickle cell is no picnic).

*Of course in another dramatic scene they had Paul screaming, drunkenly, at the Hitsville offices after a car tried to run him over, then he cried and sped away only to commit suicide later. Also wasn't Paul separated from his wife at the time? I doubt they were fighting that night.

*The scene where the Tempts are cutting Papa Was a Rolling Stone had a few spoofs in it: Damon Harris looked weird with a mustache [[he looked like Larenz Tate???) and Dennis sings two parts instead of letting Richard Street's character sing his part [[wtf) though I imagine they got the look of anger right since they didn't wanna do anymore of Norman's songs [[that was the big argument, not the lyric of "the third of September").

*Wasn't Otis' family living in Las Vegas at the time before Otis' mother died [[I don't know if the family was still living in Detroit around the time of that scene, around 1980) and when did she die? Any of you Tempts fans know?

*They really showed Eddie and David to be "pr*cks" in the second half of the film but I doubt it was really like that. Eddie might've been moody but he was a team player [[David was always a non-conformist but that was his nature) and he was crushed when they fired him from the Tempts. That, and other issues, might've been why Eddie didn't talk to Otis that night of their 1989 induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame despite that scene where Eddie congratulates him and tells him the other trophy was "for Paul" [[though Eddie did say that in public at the ceremony).

*Also, no, David was not thrown from some moving car, someone took him to the hospital and they found out who he was and tried treating him before it was too late. As David, Jr. said, "my dad didn't die in a crack house, he died in a hospital". And he was treated as a legend [[which he should be). He wasn't no "John Doe" as the movie claims smh

*And oh yeah Melvin dying in his mom's house in Detroit. Dramatic purposes. We know he died in a Los Angeles hospital from complications of seizures... Melvin's mother was so incensed she sued Otis and NBC but they ruled in NBC/Otis' favor because they got away with the "loosely based" adjective. I also think David and Paul's families sued NBC/Otis [[not sure about Eddie's).

----
I guess when a film has that many errors, it's not enjoyable to watch. Same can be said about the Jacksons' movie.

Get down Midnightman!!!

StuBass1
04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
To be fair...While I've heard from some Motown insiders through the years about what they claim to be a few factual inaccuracies, [[including a few mentioned here) in Otis's book and the film, it does give a fairly accurate portrayal about the foundation, personalities, and historical viewpoint of The Temptations...Obviously, any person telling the story will skew details to their own perspective, and anyone trying to sell a book or film will always take some sort of editorial license in making the storyline more interesting and viewer friendly...As for the casting for the film, it's more important to get actors who capture the essence of a character than exactly their height, weight, and exact hairstyle...Otherwise, at 5'6" or so...Tom Cruise would hardly ever get an acting gig...Most people I know who were not Motown insiders but fans of The Temptations music enjoyed the film, although I often find myself explaining or clarifying certain aspects of the film to them.

arr&bee
04-03-2015, 05:06 PM
I hear ya stu,i have the movie and pull it out about once a year,the actors do a great job it's the storyline,oh well leon was nominated for an emmy for his portrayal of david so that's a positive...temptations forever!!

jboy88
04-03-2015, 08:06 PM

First off:

*And oh yeah Melvin dying in his mom's house in Detroit. Dramatic purposes. We know he died in a Los Angeles hospital from complications of seizures... Melvin's mother was so incensed she sued Otis and NBC but they ruled in NBC/Otis' favor because they got away with the "loosely based" adjective. I also think David and Paul's families sued NBC/Otis [[not sure about Eddie's)

That not even half of it

Al didn't do nearly as much singing in real life as he does in the film. Richard [[who got a raw deal in his portrayal) was the lead on "Come On" and it wasn't recorded in the basement of the radio station with three other musicians either.

I can see why they twisted the fight with Al and Paul around. Since Al was always a wet-blanket, it'd be pretty hard to believe HE'D want to go out for an encore.

Otis's son died after the reunion tour and wasn't informed by Melvin. The real story of how he found out, is a lot sadder IMO!

Also, David and Eddie had families as well as Otis and Paul.

I agree their should be another film to tell the story right.

marv2
04-03-2015, 09:55 PM

First off:

----

According to Richard Street [[I am reading his book as time permits....) none of the Temptations or their Estates received any money from that movie other than Otis Williams.

midnightman
04-03-2015, 11:22 PM
^^ Yeah Lamont Williams died in 1983 and Richard Street was definitely the lead singer of "Come On". I don't think Al did that many leads anyway. Richard got one of the rawest deals of that film and I see why, as you said Marv, he nor were the other Temptations that were portrayed in the film, were paid.

StuBass1
04-04-2015, 02:35 AM
^^ Yeah Lamont Williams died in 1983 and Richard Street was definitely the lead singer of "Come On". I don't think Al did that many leads anyway. Richard got one of the rawest deals of that film and I see why, as you said Marv, he nor were the other Temptations that were portrayed in the film, were paid.

Any more than any of the featured characters were paid in Henry Hill's book which became the film "Goodfellas"...It was a book by Otis based on his recollections. As much as I recall with fondness all of the classic Temptations...why would their heirs get royalties over anyone else's literary project???... It just doesn't work like that, and I can give dozens of examples...If Dennis wrote a book about his Temptations experiences, would Otis or anyone else expect check? And I'm sure Otis is not on the speed dial of Richards widow in the event Richards book produces a significant profit...While it's indeed sad that Otis is the only surviving Classic Temptation, it's his story to tell...

midnightman
04-07-2015, 02:29 AM
^ Which is why it's a shame David and Eddie never told their sides of the story... it was definitely a biased, one-sided view of the group but I do agree about royalties though.

marv2
04-07-2015, 05:20 AM
^ Which is why it's a shame David and Eddie never told their sides of the story... it was definitely a biased, one-sided view of the group but I do agree about royalties though.

The program " Unsung" went a little way in telling the stories of Eddie and David, but much more could be done. I can tell that both led very interesting lives before becoming famous.

marv2
04-07-2015, 09:45 PM
My brother and I watched part of the Temptations movie this evening and more inaccuracies were spotted and I know...........because I was there! LOL The scene about the impromptu reunion of Eddie and David on stage did not happen like that at all! It happened during Mary Wilson's gala New Year Eve's concert at the Premier Center in Sterling Heights, MI on December 31, 1984 when David came up out of the audience [[directly behind where we were sitting) and walked up to the stage singing! I was there!

arr&bee
04-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Blue told a story about a guy who had auditioned and was set to perform with them but got drunk and full of fear so they let him go.

marv2
04-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Blue told a story about a guy who had auditioned and was set to perform with them but got drunk and full of fear so they let him go.

Same thing seem to happen like that to several Temptations candidates down through the years. They never made it past auditions. They even rejected Ali the first time because of his hair color LOL!

StuBass1
04-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Not to wander off topic, but Jai's last post reminds me of a story Robert White told...Several Funk Brothers were asked to go down south [[possibly Atlanta) to play a session for producer who wanted to get that Motown sound for his project. Prior to the session, Jamerson got so messed up he couldn't make it to the studio...They found the supposed baddest bass player in the area...knew all the tunes and the reputation of being "the man" around town. Came walking into the studio and asked..."Just WHO got sick"??? The guys replied..."James Jamerson"...Robert swore the guy stopped dead in his tracks, abruptly turned right around, walked right out of the studio, and they never heard from him again..

marv2
04-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Not to wander off topic, but Jai's last post reminds me of a story Robert White told...Several Funk Brothers were asked to go down south [[possibly Atlanta) to play a session for producer who wanted to get that Motown sound for his project. Prior to the session, Jamerson got so messed up he couldn't make it to the studio...They found the supposed baddest bass player in the area...knew all the tunes and the reputation of being "the man" around town. Came walking into the studio and asked..."Just WHO got sick"??? The guys replied..."James Jamerson"...Robert swore the guy stopped dead in his tracks, abruptly turned right around, walked right out of the studio, and they never heard from him again..

that is a great story Stu! hehehehehehehehehe.....!

arr&bee
04-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey stu,i would've ran to.

midnightman
04-11-2015, 03:19 PM
The bassist had the right idea. "James Jamerson walked out?! F*CK THAT!" LOL

marv2
04-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Someone asked me about Johnnie Mae Matthews, well here she is being honored in Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-rBptaeP8

marv2
04-14-2015, 11:17 PM
The Temptations "MESSAGE FROM A BLACK MAN "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yNbQQDnEw

marv2
04-14-2015, 11:27 PM
How many of you know or remember that Damon Harris scored with his group Impact with "Happy Man". This has a strong Philly Soul sound to it. It did get some radio airplay back in the day......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkYYLT2KvLQ

marv2
04-30-2015, 12:03 AM
http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/11/the_temptations_founders_otis.html#incart_related_ stories

The Temptations founder Otis Williams on Detroit, a new Broadway production and the hard knocks of show business

KALAMAZOO, MI -- In January, Otis Williams, the last living original member of the legendary Motown group The Temptations, will celebrate 55 years in show business.
If you go
The Temptations
What: Legendary Motown group will perform their hits When: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 15 [[doors open at 7 p.m.)
Where: Kalamazoo State Theatre, 404 S. Burdick St. Cost: $33, $39, $69 and $85 for VIP [[meet-and-greet) Contact: 269-345-6500, www.kazoostate.com
Also performing
When: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 14
Where: Andiamo Celebrity Room, 7096 E. 14 Mile Road, Warren
Cost: $25, $60, $65 and $75

The 72-year-old baritone was born in Texas and moved to Detroit with his family at 11. In 1958, Williams and bandmates in The Distants scored a Detroit hit. In 1961, Williams and Co. signed to Motown Records.

For the next five decades, with help from songwriter/producer Smokey Robinson, The Temptations released some of the industry's most iconic songs, including "My Girl," "Papa Was A Rolling Stone," "The Way You Do The Things You Do" and many more. The group's style and lineup has changed significantly over the decades. Williams has lived it.

He's shared much of the group's history in various forms and is in the midst of planning a Broadway production about The Temptations. Without giving up too much -- "I don't want to jinx it until all the papers are signed" -- Williams said he wants the public to understand the "mechanics" behind the finished product fans see on stage. From deaths to personality conflicts to the demands of the road, Williams stressed there's more than the glitzy lifestyle people may assume.

"I would like for them to understand the hard knocks, the misunderstandings and the sacrifices it takes to be successful," he said.

Williams said during a phone interview from his home in Los Angeles, California, he will have his "fingerprints and toeprints" all over the play.

He said he shares his lessons with many people in the entertainment world.

"First of all, you've got to love it. Show business can be giving and unforgiving. There's a lot you go through. It's not just all the sucesses. There are a lot of down times you'll have in show business," he said.

Meanwhile, The Temptations -- Otis Williams, Ron Tyson, Terry Weeks, Joe Herndon and Bruce Williamson -- continue to perform their biggest hits on tour. The group will high step its way through Kalamazoo when the members perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 15 at the Kalamazoo State Theatre. Tickets range from $25 to $85 for the VIP tickets that include a meet-and-greet with the band.

Williams said he knows Kalamazoo well as he's played here many times over the years. He's also performed several times with fellow "Motownians," The Velvelettes, who were founded in 1961 by Sisters Cal Street and Millie Gill-Arbour and sisters Bertha Barbee-McNeal and Norma Barbee-Fairhurst. Barbee-McNeal and Gill-Arbour were students at Western Michigan University. The group had a series of R&B hits including "Needle in a Haystack," which peaked at No. 45 on the Billboard charts. Barbee-McNeal and Street live in Kalamazoo, while the other members live in Flint.

Williams said "Motown," the Broadway musical now on tour around the country, provided a nice glimpse into the creation of the groundbreaking record label. It also afforded him the chance to "stroll down memory lane" with other members of the famous music imprint from Detroit.

"It was memorable," he said of the seeing the musical. "A lot of our cronies weren't there because they've passed on.

"I'm just glad to be part of it, to feel the value and appreciation on how Motown was conceived. It was great to be part of," he said.

From Los Angeles, Williams said he keeps tabs on Detroit and continue to root for the city. He said he was encouraged by recent news of the city's plan to shed more than $7 billion in debt through bankruptcy court.

"I'm glad to hear they are trying to revitalize Detroit. I love Detroit. I'm sorry to see it going through what it's gone through the last 30 years or so," he said.

As for the concert in Kalamazoo, Williams said to expect the classic sounds, style and moves of The Temptations.

"We will definitely be coming to Kalamazoo to do what we are known for," Williams said. "We'll keep it kind of all Temptations with a few added dimensions thrown in."

John Liberty covers entertainment for the Kalamazoo Gazette. Call him at 269-370-7372, email him at jlibert1@mlive.com or follow him on Twitter.

marv2
04-30-2015, 12:19 AM
I always found it interesting that in the first couple of years after David Ruffin was no longer a member of the Temptations that he toured with his backing group called "The Fellas". Interesting in that David started out as a solo artist, joined a group and could not give up the "group" set up very easily in the early stages of his solo career after the Tempts.

detmotownguy
04-30-2015, 01:45 AM
Someone asked me about Johnnie Mae Matthews, well here she is being honored in Detroit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-rBptaeP8

This is exactly what I was looking for thanks

marv2
05-01-2015, 03:52 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for thanks

You are most welcome. Did you also get to check out the info on Ms. Matthews on SDF in the Webisodes?

marv2
05-01-2015, 03:53 PM
JENNINGS: Going back — Temptations, Chubby Checker and rockers Europe bring the hits this weekend

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/night_and_day/jennings-going-back-temptations-chubby-checker-and-rockers-europe-bring/article_4daff590-ef42-11e4-8182-4f92b8ac0535.html

midnightman
05-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Well David wasn't ready to leave the Temptations when they ousted him so of course he wasn't used to being back as a solo singer. He was such a fanboy of the Tempts during the group's early years. It's no shock he begged Otis to get in [[that I believe from Otis). Eddie Kendricks was more independent than the other Tempts than what was let on.

marv2
05-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Well David wasn't ready to leave the Temptations when they ousted him so of course he wasn't used to being back as a solo singer. He was such a fanboy of the Tempts during the group's early years. It's no shock he begged Otis to get in [[that I believe from Otis). Eddie Kendricks was more independent than the other Tempts than what was let on.

I agree as we know Eddie was the first of the original members to leave on his own.

marv2
05-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Eddie was also a good guy. He tried to help Florence Ballard when she was down on her luck.

marv2
05-03-2015, 03:03 AM
Eddie Kendrick, David Ruffin, Dennis Edwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iAuX4P_Asw

marv2
05-03-2015, 03:07 AM
Eddie Kendrick David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards live Detroit

I was at this show......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EuomeVGHxw

detmotownguy
05-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Eddie Kendrick David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards live Detroit

I was at this show......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EuomeVGHxw

Premier Center in Sterling Heights?

marv2
05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Premier Center in Sterling Heights?

No, Chassie's downtown.

detmotownguy
05-04-2015, 09:25 AM
It was Mary and Eddie for New Year's Eve at the Premeir Center when David was there.

theboyfromxtown
05-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I saw their last show in London. Seeing these video clips brings back memories.

I guess I should be thankful that I still have them.

marv2
05-04-2015, 09:52 AM
It was Mary and Eddie for New Year's Eve at the Premeir Center when David was there.

Yes along with Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson backing Mary. It was a great show.

marv2
05-26-2015, 12:02 AM
the Temptations at their best....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1iEjZ-BWA

midnightman
05-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Of the Unsung Temptations stories, which ones would you pick: David or Eddie?

marv2
05-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Of the Unsung Temptations stories, which ones would you pick: David or Eddie?

Eddie's because David's story is far too complicated to tell in a 45min - 1 hour program.

detmotownguy
05-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Yes along with Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson backing Mary. It was a great show.
I thought Mary Robin and Karen had a great blend. I also saw the Spinners there, man they were good. The sound system seemed top notch.

detmotownguy
05-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Eddie Kendrick, David Ruffin, Dennis Edwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iAuX4P_Asw

thanks for posting! What a powerhouse group; add in a bass singer and there you have it! David' s voice is something else- not criticizing Dennis and Eddie at all.

marv2
06-08-2015, 10:07 PM
thanks for posting! What a powerhouse group; add in a bass singer and there you have it! David' s voice is something else- not criticizing Dennis and Eddie at all.

This grouping was superb! They sounded great together, got along very well together [[personal issues aside) and should have recorded new songs as a group.

detmotownguy
06-09-2015, 03:30 AM
Does anyone know if Otis ever approached Dennis to join the Temps? I would think it would contribute to the legitimacy of the group. I really like Dennis' Temptations review.

marv2
06-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know if Otis ever approached Dennis to join the Temps? I would think it would contribute to the legitimacy of the group. I really like Dennis' Temptations review.

I am not sure if he's done that. I know that it would be more difficult now for Dennis to dissolve his "Temptation's Review" act after it has been a fairly successful one for approx. 20 years now.

ralpht
06-09-2015, 11:34 AM
This is one hell of a good thread. Thanks for starting it, Marv, and all who have participated.

midnightman
06-09-2015, 11:38 AM
No prob, Ralph. :) Marv really started a great thread with this, didn't he? :D

marv2
06-09-2015, 11:54 AM
This is one hell of a good thread. Thanks for starting it, Marv, and all who have participated.

Ralph, you are welcome!

marv2
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
No prob, Ralph. :) Marv really started a great thread with this, didn't he? :D

Thanks midnightman, but you helped with your great contributions.

arr&bee
06-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Hey marv,we all know that this temps thread is gonna be like the energizer bunny...it keeps going an going an going an going....temptations forever!!!

marv2
06-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Hey marv,we all know that this temps thread is gonna be like the energizer bunny...it keeps going an going an going an going....temptations forever!!!

I know what you mean. I think it is a good thing and it is definitely Motown related!

detmotownguy
06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I know what you mean. I think it is a good thing and it is definitely Motown related!

Hey Marv! Yeah great thread and pretty much stayed on track. Learned quite a bit too.

marv2
06-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Hey Marv! Yeah great thread and pretty much stayed on track. Learned quite a bit too.

Well thank you and I am glad. There is still a lot to talk about when it comes to the Temptations.

edafan
06-09-2015, 08:29 PM
that show with David Eddie and Dennis are the real Temptations

edafan

marv2
06-09-2015, 09:34 PM
that show with David Eddie and Dennis are the real Temptations

edafan

I know a lot of people that would agree with you.

lockhartgary
06-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been perusing this forum for a good while now. This is my first post.
Although I am too young to have experienced the "classic" Tempts, that does not prevent me from being a fan. I so enjoy the Smokey and Norman eras, as different as they are from one another.
In the late '80s [[I believe) in Pennsauken, NJ, there was a free oldies concert and Dennis, Eddie and David and a few other guys were there, along with the fake Marvelettes and others. The "Former Lead Singers of the Temptations" put on a heck of a show!! The lady I was attending the show with was wearing a straw hat and Eddie came over to her and she gave him her hat!! Afterwards, Dennis signed autographs. David stayed in the trailor when he wasn't onstage. He sang only a medley of his biggest hits when he was on stage.
Memories I will always cherish, especially since David and Eddie died not long afterwards.

marv2
06-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Hello everyone,
Although I am too young to have experienced the "classic" Tempts, that does not prevent me from being a fan. I so enjoy the Smokey and Norman eras, as different as they are from one another.
In the late '80s [[I believe) in Pennsauken, NJ, there was a free oldies concert and Dennis, Eddie and David and a few other guys were there, along with the fake Marvelettes and others. The "Former Lead Singers of the Temptations" put on a heck of a show!! The lady I was attending the show with was wearing a straw hat and Eddie came over to her and she gave him her hat!! Afterwards, Dennis signed autographs. David stayed in the trailor when he wasn't onstage. He sang only a medley of his biggest hits when he was on stage.
Memories I will always cherish, especially since David and Eddie died not long afterwards.

What great story and welcome Lockhartgary! i know Pennsauken, NJ. That sounds like a great time, that show.

detmotownguy
06-10-2015, 12:47 AM
Hello everyone,

Did David sing his solo or Tempts leads for the medley? Thanks in advance.

detmotownguy
06-10-2015, 12:50 AM
Ralph, you are welcome!

Hey Marv: you going to get the thread of the year award lol! This has been fun as the Tempts have quite a history. In wish I knew the real happenings/involvement/history as far as Johnnie Mae Mathews is concerned.

marv2
06-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Hey Marv: you going to get the thread of the year award lol! This has been fun as the Tempts have quite a history. In wish I knew the real happenings/involvement/history as far as Johnnie Mae Mathews is concerned.

Wouldn't that be something? LOL!

edafan
06-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I know a lot of people that would agree with you.

thanks Marv; one little criticism of this great show; and a lot of the oldies shows is that I want the original tempo.

Some of the tempos were faster than the original

edafan

marv2
06-10-2015, 09:41 PM
thanks Marv; one little criticism of this great show; and a lot of the oldies shows is that I want the original tempo.

Some of the tempos were faster than the original

edafan

You edafan, I am totally with you on that! For years I hated when some of my long time favorite artists would rush through the songs that made them great when in concert. The medley format just does not work for me. Most of the time the hits would be rushed [[except in the case of Marvin Gaye where he sang all his old hits at half speed!LOL!). One of the few classic acts I enjoyed very much when they would do their hits was the Four Tops. They stuck to the original tempos. Mary Wilson has also gone back to the original tempo of the songs in recent years.

lockhartgary
06-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Did David sing his solo or Tempts leads for the medley? Thanks in advance.

IIRC, he sang his Tempts leads. One song I distinctly remember was, "I Could Never Love Another After Loving You." He only sang a few lines from each song, and he was wearing a jumpsuit [[orange or blue, I believe) while the others wore matching outfits. Before he hit the stage, I saw him exit the trailer and I marked out! I called his name and he then looked at me and waved. Nobody else seemed to notice when he exited the trailer.

arr&bee
06-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Good point guys,the times that i really miss david the most is when[my girl]comes up, with all respect to the many who've sung it with the group down through the years,let's be real here and admit that[my girl]is david's and nobody can do it better.

marv2
06-20-2015, 11:07 PM
I have had this album for something like 44 years [[gulp!) I haven't looked at the jacket in a very longtime.

This is the back of the jacket as I remember:

Anyone know what version had this alternate back side:

marv2
06-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Here's a little test. Can you pick out all the things that are wrong about the cover of this CD?

ralpht
06-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Other than Eddy isn't in the picture, it is a hell of a nice album cover, Marv.

supremester
06-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Eddie is not in the pic & doesn't sing on Papa Was A Rolling Stone

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2015, 07:52 AM
I have had this album for something like 44 years [[gulp!) I haven't looked at the jacket in a very longtime.

This is the back of the jacket as I remember:

Anyone know what version had this alternate back side:

That looks like a cd version. 530 is a CD prefix

marv2
06-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Other than Eddy isn't in the picture, it is a hell of a nice album cover, Marv.

Ralph you are absolutely right, but there other "mistakes" with Eddie missing from the picture being the biggest.

marv2
06-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Eddie is not in the pic & doesn't sing on Papa Was A Rolling Stone

Another correct, but partially correct answer. Look closer.................

westgrandboulevard
06-21-2015, 08:31 AM
I can see only two microphones.

Wouldn't there usually have been one microphone for the lead singer, and a four-headed microphone stand for the other group members?

marv2
06-21-2015, 09:12 AM
I can see only two microphones.

Wouldn't there usually have been one microphone for the lead singer, and a four-headed microphone stand for the other group members?

Bam! There you go! That was the other most glaring mistake. Also notice the song selection they chose to highlight along the bottom. None are Eddie Kendricks leads.

arr&bee
06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Hey my temptaholics,here's a quik temps quiz[hehe]when the temps appeared at the grammys in[1968]and won for[cloud nine]only four of them were present,who was missing and why???

ralpht
06-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Marv,
In the early days they didn't use the 5 mic system.

marv2
06-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Marv,
In the early days they didn't use the 5 mic system.

Ralph that is true, but if you look at that pic, the members include, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street and Glen Carl Leonard putting the time frame of that pic somewhere between 1975- 80! [[I know we are being knit picky hehehehehehe....) so the "cobra" mic would have more than likely been used. There could have been a number of reasons why it was not used in that particular instance, it just seemed strange to me after being so use to seeing it onstage.

marv2
06-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Hey my temptaholics,here's a quik temps quiz[hehe]when the temps appeared at the grammys in[1968]and won for[cloud nine]only four of them were present,who was missing and why???

That is a very hard question since I can't remember if I saw the 1968 Grammy's. I am going to guess that Eddie was not there due to illness?

ralpht
06-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Good point, Marv. Somehow I knew you would bring that to my attention.

marv2
06-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Good point, Marv. Somehow I knew you would bring that to my attention.

Ralph, it's all about the joy of sharing and learning~! LOL!

arr&bee
06-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Eddie and otis had a falling out just prior,and eddie was a no-show.

marv2
06-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Eddie and otis had a falling out just prior,and eddie was a no-show.

I remember Eddie being out for a time during that period. I just can't remember why so thank you JAI!

marv2
06-22-2015, 10:29 PM
When the "Motortown Revue" hit the road on one of it's first tours, Elbridge Bryant was a member of the Temptations:

Then I noticed when the Motortown Revue appeared at the Apollo in 1963, it was just the four guys [[Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams and Paul Williams) backing up Mary Wells [[they didn't even have their own set in the show).

A few years later, when the Motortown Revue toured England David Ruffin was with them:

detmotownguy
06-24-2015, 01:36 AM
When the "Motortown Revue" hit the road on one of it's first tours, Elbridge Bryant was a member of the Temptations:

Then I noticed when the Motortown Revue appeared at the Apollo in 1963, it was just the four guys [[Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams and Paul Williams) backing up Mary Wells [[they didn't even have their own set in the show).

A few years later, when the Motortown Revue toured England David Ruffin was with them:

Great photo Marv. Looking at that photo, it is hard to imagine the impact these folks made across the globe. When you think of it, a few hundred people [[just a guess) helped Motown make their their mark on the world and changed the history of music. Of course with the help of musicians, writers, technical folks, back office, sales, and Maxine Powell! The impact is almost hard to comprehend.

marv2
06-24-2015, 04:44 PM
It's harder for me to believe that several folks in the above photograph use to roller skate at the same rink as we did right down the street from my house. About mile and a half!

detmotownguy
06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
It's harder for me to believe that several folks in the above photograph use to roller skate at the same rink as we did right down the street from my house. About mile and a half!
Didn't Aretha skate at that rink?

marv2
06-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Didn't Aretha skate at that rink?

Yes it was called the Rollercade. My mom remembers all of them being there. I remember Smokey and Pete from the Miracles mostly. A couple of the Supremes hung out there as well...........

detmotownguy
06-25-2015, 01:44 AM
Yes it was called the Rollercade. My mom remembers all of them being there. I remember Smokey and Pete from the Miracles mostly. A couple of the Supremes hung out there as well...........
Ah Detroit history; can't be beat. It was so cool growing up in Detroit and even better to know folks that worked at Motown.

arr&bee
06-25-2015, 06:36 PM
I remember some older cats telling me about a young dude named[marvin gaye]doo-wopping on the street corners in d.c. Back in the day,they didn't pay him much attention because everybody sang on the corners in those days.

marv2
06-25-2015, 09:02 PM
I remember some older cats telling me about a young dude named[marvin gaye]doo-wopping on the street corners in d.c. Back in the day,they didn't pay him much attention because everybody sang on the corners in those days.

He was a legend in the making............but who knew?!

arr&bee
06-28-2015, 05:00 PM
More temps lore..legend has it that between shows at the old[howard]theatre eddie would go out the side door and talk to the kids there.

marv2
06-28-2015, 07:40 PM
More temps lore..legend has it that between shows at the old[howard]theatre eddie would go out the side door and talk to the kids there.

Oh I can totally believe that. He and Florence Ballard were very much allike when it came to the fans. David Ruffin also to an extent. He would hand kids money, spare change etc.

detmotownguy
06-29-2015, 11:16 AM

That's nice to hear. Eddie seems like a fan friendly guy. Didn't Mary and Flo do the same thing? I believe Mary wrote about something similar. I am sure it meant a lot to those kids.

marv2
06-29-2015, 11:37 AM
That's nice to hear. Eddie seems like a fan friendly guy. Didn't Mary and Flo do the same thing? I believe Mary wrote about something similar. I am sure it meant a lot to those kids.

Eddie [[and David) was the type that would come and sit down at your table and talk after one of his concerts. Obie of the Four Tops was like that too.

detmotownguy
06-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Eddie [[and David) was the type that would come and sit down at your table and talk after one of his concerts. Obie of the Four Tops was like that too.
I had a nice talk with Obie on a flight from Ca. Back to Detroit. Man he was a real nice guy - very humble and was respectful. Not an ounce of arrogance.

arr&bee
06-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Hey my temptaholics,i think more than any other motown act you can always pick out an instrument or bassline that you didn't hear before...like the keyboard in[girl]why you wanna make me blue..or the killer bassline in[beauty's only skin deep]don't beleieve me just pull out a classic song and give it a good close listen...temptations forever!!

detmotownguy
06-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Hey my temptaholics,i think more than any other motown act you can always pick out an instrument or bassline that you didn't hear before...like the keyboard in[girl]why you wanna make me blue..or the killer bassline in[beauty's only skin deep]don't beleieve me just pull out a classic song and give it a good close listen...temptations forever!!

Somewhat off topic, but to me the first 30 secs of Hush by Deep Purple reminds of the intro of a Sups record. I was listening to it the other and it reminds me of You Cant Hurry Love. maybe should post it as a new thread. Been a loooong day!!!!

arr&bee
06-30-2015, 01:16 PM
I ain't mad at cha,but this is about the temps...cool?

arr&bee
07-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Talk about the perfect group name,you are[tempted]to listen and[tempted] to see em perform.

marv2
07-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Talk about the perfect group name,you are[tempted]to listen and[tempted] to see em perform.

I am now that you mentioned it. I have a craving for the recordings from 1967-69 right now!

arr&bee
07-07-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm right with ya my temptaholic friend,but i'm gonna go back to oh[62]with-mind over matter.

arr&bee
07-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Hey marv,i just found a copy of[soul to soul]love the album jacket.

marv2
07-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Hey marv,i just found a copy of[soul to soul]love the album jacket.

The "Soul to Soul" with Ali singing lead?

arr&bee
07-12-2015, 09:39 PM
That's the one.

marv2
07-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Listen to what Kenny Gamble of Gamble & Huff has to say about the Temptations here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgOhsyDKZYc

arr&bee
07-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I heard dat,from the man himself,it's funny that he mentioned the flamingoes because the temps patterned themselves after that classic group and were called the[latter day]flamingoes.

marv2
07-13-2015, 02:10 PM
I heard dat,from the man himself,it's funny that he mentioned the flamingoes because the temps patterned themselves after that classic group and were called the[latter day]flamingoes.

Well, they simply surpassed the Flamingos! Kenny knows what he is talking about.

arr&bee
07-14-2015, 03:25 PM
The temps have something that may never be duplicated ever,five lead singers plus the dance moves, we certainly won't see the likes of them in this lifetime and to be honest i don't think it will happen again ever...too many ego's ,not enough talent.

marv2
07-14-2015, 10:44 PM
The temps have something that may never be duplicated ever,five lead singers plus the dance moves, we certainly won't see the likes of them in this lifetime and to be honest i don't think it will happen again ever...too many ego's ,not enough talent.

The Temptations like so many other singers of their generation were singing for their supper. They had to be good and were willing to work hard at it.........perfection!

arr&bee
07-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Marv-you know that i'm hi-five-in you across this keyboard[hehe] or as the temps would say...rap on brother-rap on!!!

marv2
07-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Marv-you know that i'm hi-five-in you across this keyboard[hehe] or as the temps would say...rap on brother-rap on!!!

Backatyou bro! You know the deal. Those that came earlier just worked harder, received less, but are oh so more valued now than what we have now. Think about it..............................

arr&bee
07-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh you know that's right, so many have come and gone but the temptin ones are still here.

marv2
07-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Oh you know that's right, so many have come and gone but the temptin ones are still here.

Other than David Ruffin Jr. and Paul Williams son are there anymore of the Tempts children performing?

arr&bee
07-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Good question,but i don't know.

marv2
07-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Good question,but i don't know.

If Eddie Kendricks' daughter sang just a little, she'd be a star. The girl is gorgeous!

arr&bee
07-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Marv, i have to ask this...do you think that these sons of the temps superstars are just following in thier dads footsteps out of an historic sense or are they maybe trying to use thier famous last names to cash in? I wondering.

marv2
07-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Marv, i have to ask this...do you think that these sons of the temps superstars are just following in thier dads footsteps out of an historic sense or are they maybe trying to use thier famous last names to cash in? I wondering.

My honest gut feeling may not be too popular. I feel that David's son was exploiting his connection. I believe Paul Williams Jr. [[just as Roquel Payton of the Four Tops) is in it because he is talented and to honor his father's legacy.

arr&bee
07-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks my temptaholic friend,just wondering.

marv2
07-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks my temptaholic friend,just wondering.

Anytime JAI. Here's a quite controversial question for you. Do you think that David Ruffin OD'ed or was he murdered?

arr&bee
07-16-2015, 10:25 PM
Ohhhhh,boy...well legend has it that ruffin had that money belt with about[40k]on him,did anyone find the money?

marv2
07-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Ohhhhh,boy...well legend has it that ruffin had that money belt with about[40k]on him,did anyone find the money?

It was a bit more than legend. He HAD that money on him. I remember CNN caring the first reports. I recognized the street and everything in Philly where he was before being taken to the hospital. From what I know of that neighborhood, anything could happen to you! The money was not recovered to my knowledge. By the time they brought him to Detroit for the services, no one was talking [[at least not around me) about what actually happened to David.

arr&bee
07-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Sad end for someone who has given so much to this art of music, but as the elders say-as long as one person remembers you you'll never die, and the whole world remembers-david ruffin.

marv2
07-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Sad end for someone who has given so much to this art of music, but as the elders say-as long as one person remembers you you'll never die, and the whole world remembers-david ruffin.

Oh that is perfect...................the perfect truth!

arr&bee
07-18-2015, 08:48 PM
A question for all my temptaholics, and read this very carefully before you answer,now out of all the many,many great songs by our guys what is the one song in thier tremendous catalog that gives you goose bumps and almost brings a tear to your ears because it's soooo perfect? Now it may not be the song that's your personal favorite but just one that moves you like no other..for me the timeless perfection of what i will always call the greatest first tenor lead in soul music history...the girl's alright with me, this song for me is mezmorizing...think before you answer...temptations forever.

marv2
07-19-2015, 12:22 AM
For me, that would be "Please Return Your Love to Me"! Hands down.

Sharpmoves
07-19-2015, 08:47 AM
For the original line-up, with David on lead: My Girl

For the '70s Temps, with Dennis: Papa Was A Rolling Stone

Both spine-chilling in their own different ways.

sansradio
07-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Hands down, "I Can't Get Next to You." Have MERCY!!!!;)

marv2
07-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Those are some really great choices.

lockhartgary
07-19-2015, 06:46 PM
[[I Know) I'm Losing You. I consider everything about that song to be absolutely perfect! I heard one stereo mix that almost eliminated Eddie, Paul, Melvin and Otis in the background and THAT is a shame!

marv2
07-19-2015, 07:32 PM
[[I Know) I'm Losing You. I consider everything about that song to be absolutely perfect! I heard one stereo mix that almost eliminated Eddie, Paul, Melvin and Otis in the background and THAT is a shame!

It was one of their most soulful and danceable record.

marv2
07-19-2015, 07:35 PM

It was one of their most soulful and danceable record.

arr&bee
07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Hey my temptaholics, i was thinking about the fact that david's name never arreared on any songwriting credits,did he ever write or contribute to the writing of a temps song?

midnightman
07-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Stereo mixes suck. In mono, you can hear EVERYTHING and yes that was one of their perfect records... Cornelius' guitar starting it off and then David's "ooo"...and you're set! As Otis said in "Unsung", that song is "funky as an unwashed armpit"!

midnightman
07-24-2015, 03:52 PM
A question for all my temptaholics, and read this very carefully before you answer,now out of all the many,many great songs by our guys what is the one song in thier tremendous catalog that gives you goose bumps and almost brings a tear to your ears because it's soooo perfect? Now it may not be the song that's your personal favorite but just one that moves you like no other..for me the timeless perfection of what i will always call the greatest first tenor lead in soul music history...the girl's alright with me, this song for me is mezmorizing...think before you answer...temptations forever.

Too many to name.

Since I Lost My Baby, [[I Know) I'm Losing You, Get Ready, I Wish It Would Rain, Runaway Child, Running Wild, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Ball of Confusion, Don't Look Back, I Want a Love I Can See, Dream Come True, Shakey Ground, Power... I can go on and on.

But I think of all of them, My Girl holds it in. It was really THE perfect song... bass, guitar, percussion, drums, vocals, strings... what else? Jesus David...

marv2
07-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Too many to name.

Since I Lost My Baby, [[I Know) I'm Losing You, Get Ready, I Wish It Would Rain, Runaway Child, Running Wild, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Ball of Confusion, Don't Look Back, I Want a Love I Can See, Dream Come True, Shakey Ground, Power... I can go on and on.

But I think of all of them, My Girl holds it in. It was really THE perfect song... bass, guitar, percussion, drums, vocals, strings... what else? Jesus David...

See I could have named a bunch of them, but noooooooooooooooo LOL!

marv2
07-25-2015, 12:21 PM
FLASHBACK! Now how's this for a blast from the past? Eddie Kendricks and the Young Senators:

lockhartgary
07-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Stereo mixes suck. In mono, you can hear EVERYTHING and yes that was one of their perfect records... Cornelius' guitar starting it off and then David's "ooo"...and you're set! As Otis said in "Unsung", that song is "funky as an unwashed armpit"!

For me it's hit or miss. Some stereo mixes I absolutely love, but others are an abomination. Of course, it depends on the song. One example of a superior mono mix is the Isley Brothers "That's the Way Love Is." The stereo mix is simply unlistenable to me.

arr&bee
07-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Hey marv,the young senators were from d.c. And they were eddie's backing band in his early solo career,i don't know if they were with him in the later years.

marv2
07-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Hey marv,the young senators were from d.c. And they were eddie's backing band in his early solo career,i don't know if they were with him in the later years.

JAI yeah. They came with him to Detroit as late as the mid 70s [[1975-76).

arr&bee
07-25-2015, 03:58 PM
Cool,marv did david ever write anything with the group? I've never seen his name listed on anything they did.

arr&bee
07-28-2015, 03:03 PM
My temptaholics, blue stated that he was the shortest temp at[6'1]but look at ron i think he's at lease[2 in]shorter than melvin which would make him[5'11]and the shortest temp, it also would put him under the[6ft]rule for being a temp.

marv2
08-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Cool,marv did david ever write anything with the group? I've never seen his name listed on anything they did.

If he did, they never let him record it on them. You know how Motown was at that time.........

arr&bee
08-03-2015, 06:00 PM
I know marv, just wondering because all of the classic temps contributed to songs at one time or other.

marv2
08-03-2015, 06:29 PM
I know marv, just wondering because all of the classic temps contributed to songs at one time or other.

But during first Golden era, Berry Gordy refused to let most artist write for themselves and have publishing rights.

arr&bee
08-04-2015, 12:47 PM
True,but eddie co-wrote the classic[the girl's alright with me]and otis helped pen[check yourself].

marv2
08-04-2015, 06:58 PM
True,but eddie co-wrote the classic[the girl's alright with me]and otis helped pen[check yourself].

Ok, but I am not even going to guess who got the publishing. LOL!!

arr&bee
08-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Hehehe...oh we know they would never get within shouting distance of that.

marv2
09-16-2015, 12:20 AM
The Temptations performing at the Super Bowl in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soDL7CyYvgc

marv2
09-16-2015, 12:23 AM
Here is a nice, brief profile on the wholly underrated Mr. Richard Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXHOhD3tqb0

candykamaine
09-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Here is a nice, brief profile on the wholly underrated Mr. Richard Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXHOhD3tqb0

I love it! He is deff underrated. I do wish that more of his songs were included. But this is fine too.

marv2
09-24-2015, 03:58 PM
I love it! He is deff underrated. I do wish that more of his songs were included. But this is fine too.

Candykamaine, how have you been? I definitely agree that Richard was very underrated and taken for granted.

marv2
09-24-2015, 11:02 PM

I have Richards book......"Ball of Confusion: My Life As A Temptin' Temptation" and it is really good. You should check it out.

marv2
10-18-2015, 02:25 AM
Now here's a great memory..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCQhan8beDI

supremester
10-18-2015, 02:42 AM
They shooda gotten the publishing because they were not Motown employees and only signed their contracts to cover their work as a performer. Which is why they own The Tempts' name unlike The Supremes or J5.

Ok, but I am not even going to guess who got the publishing. LOL!!

midnightman
10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSmVi19ByE

marv2
10-21-2015, 01:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSmVi19ByE

Classic in every way! Thank you midnightman!

midnightman
10-21-2015, 01:18 PM
^ You're welcome marv! :)

marv2
10-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Here is another classic television performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9509EtbBXrY

marv2
10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Pure voice, pure vocal power, pure talent here...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxS137-Vu4

arr&bee
10-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Funny,as i'm reading this[just my imagination]is playing,very temptin!!!

edafan
10-24-2015, 09:29 PM
the classic 6 were great

I still wish Richard Street was in the RRHOF with them

edafan

marv2
11-04-2015, 03:46 PM
I guess I was not the only that had problems with certain things in the "Temptations" movie.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky4gRkA2qj8

marv2
12-30-2015, 02:36 AM
...and the saga continues! Just in time for New Year's introducing the newest Temptations line up and newest Tempts: Larry Braggs and Willie Greene!

midnightman
12-30-2015, 02:41 AM
I wonder why Brian left. I imagine Joe, being in advanced age, couldn't take the rigors of the road anymore?

marv2
12-30-2015, 02:56 AM
I wonder why Brian left. I imagine Joe, being in advanced age, couldn't take the rigors of the road anymore?

You mean Bruce right? Maybe weight - watchers had been calling and they wouldn't take no for an answer! LOL!!!

midnightman
12-30-2015, 03:35 AM
*DOH!* Yeah Bruce lol

arr&bee
12-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Those suits make them look like deacons...let the church say amen!!!

marv2
12-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Those suits make them look like deacons...let the church say amen!!!

AMEN! They do look like deacons in that pic.

marv2
04-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Anyone know what those guys are up to now?

detmotownguy
04-23-2016, 09:01 PM
David Ruffin didnt need any autotune as did many other Motown greats! Thanks Marv!

marv2
04-23-2016, 10:23 PM
David Ruffin didnt need any autotune as did many other Motown greats! Thanks Marv!

I had the opportunity to talk with Melvin Davis the other night and he mentioned that he and David Ruffin were roommates before David joined the Temptations. They looked so much alike, that many thought they were related. They also use to borrow each other clothes.

marv2
04-23-2016, 10:24 PM

David Ruffin certainly did not need autotune. In the right environment, he didn't even need a mic!

marv2
08-04-2017, 08:40 PM
I decided to bump this one up. It might help with our discussion on favorite Temptations Era.

thanxal
08-04-2017, 08:59 PM
I'm tempted [[pun intended) to answer the original question with "I Wish It Would Rain" or "Just My Imagination" but no. A much as I love it, it doesn't have that instantly identifiable Motown Sound, IMHO.

"All I Need" is just about the one perfect Temptations song for me.

It is at least number two or three were I to list my absolute favorite Motown songs [[which I never would). Along with "Nowhere to Run", "I'm Ready for Love", "Reach Out", "Up the Ladder" and "Stop!", "All I Need" just so completely encapsulates Motown and is such a spot-on Tempts song, it would be my choice for "timeless perfection".

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 06:46 PM
*Bump*

As a longtime 'lurker' I remember this discussion a few years ago and saved the thread to my favorites. Four years later, this question is just as relevant in 2019 as it was in 2015, especially, since The Temptations have yet, another 'tho unannounced new member. Who is the "new" Tempts member? A certified powerhouse, by the name of Glenn [[I've Been Searchin') Jones. Who is Jones replacing? Larry [[Tower of Power) Braggs.

Why so Many Temptations??? Let the discussion resume...

The Temptations 2016-2019

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fthetemptations.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FGroup-Photo-Banner01-1.jpg&t=1573915124&ymreqid=769d80c6-57b0-f631-2fdc-ca00eb010000&sig=tq2Czi1u7zjdk8cLb7Mb8Q--~C

Glenn Jones
https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fglennjonesmusic.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2Fglennjonesabout.jp g&t=1573915124&ymreqid=769d80c6-57b0-f631-2fdc-ca00eb010000&sig=R4tyPvbP2LowdvlweeJhYw--~C

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 06:53 PM
I was thinking today [[ I know, scary huh? LOL!) why were there so many Temptations, replacement members or what have you? I think there were something like 300 Temptations and counting. Well, maybe not quite that many, but there were a lot of them.

Why do think there were so many individual Temptation members?

Thanks Marv2 for starting this thread!!!:)

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 06:57 PM
The Temptations quartet...No Larry Braggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUFsevcZ2ns

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:02 PM
One of my favorite songs, from Glenn Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXh1ZNrULw

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:06 PM
The Tempts performing with Larry Braggs [[Hitsville Honors - Orchestra Hall)

The Temptations "The Way You Do The Things"/ "Ain't To Proud Too Beg"/" My Girl" September 22, 2019 [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq7bRnGHgoM)

marv2
11-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Thanks Marv2 for starting this thread!!!:)

You are most welcome MusicWise!

marv2
11-16-2019, 07:12 PM
Oh wow! I cannot even believe this! Glenn Jones is now a Temptation? I and my brother was just listening to his music earlier this week. Wow! Thanks MusicWise.

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Unsung: Glenn Jones [[April 07, 2019)

https://tvone.tv/video/unsung-glenn-jones/ [[https://tvone.tv/video/unsung-glenn-jones/)

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:20 PM
You're welcome Marv:D

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Glenn Jones is already listed on The Temptations Wikipedia page! Here's the receipts:

The Temptations Wikipedia has Glenn Jones listed as a current member and Larry Braggs as a past member.

The Temptations Wikipedia page [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temptations)

The Temptations

Members
Otis Williams [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Williams)
Ron Tyson
Terry Weeks [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Weeks)
Willie Green
Glenn Jones [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Jones)

Past members
Elbridge "Al" Bryant [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbridge_Bryant)
Melvin Franklin [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Franklin)
Eddie Kendricks [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Kendricks)
Paul Williams [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_[[The_Temptations))
David Ruffin [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ruffin)
Dennis Edwards [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Edwards)
Ricky Owens [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Owens)
Richard Street [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Street)
Damon Harris [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_Harris)
Glenn Leonard [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Leonard)
Louis Price [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Price)
Ali-Ollie Woodson [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali-Ollie_Woodson)
Theo Peoples [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Peoples)
Ray Davis [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Davis_[[musician))
Harry McGilberry [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_McGilberry)
Barrington "Bo" Henderson [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrington_%22Bo%22_Henderson)
G. C. Cameron [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._C._Cameron)
Joe Herndon [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Herndon)
Bruce Williamson [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Williamson_[[singer))
Larry Braggs

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TinjxeBHv8

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 07:56 PM
The Temptations Live @ TM [[3-12-19) #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBWlGIBDg78

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Oh wow! I cannot even believe this! Glenn Jones is now a Temptation? I and my brother was just listening to his music earlier this week. Wow! Thanks MusicWise.

When I discovered Glenn Jones was the newest Tempt, I quickly remembered how versatile he is. Not only was Jones a Grammy Nominated artist with a string of hits, in the 80s and 90's, Jones won a Stellar Award, for the bestselling gospel album, "Walking By Faith" that he co-produced for The Canton Spirituals, featuring the hit song he wrote "Never Let Go"

Glenn Jones, his wife, Genobia Jeter-Jones join Harvey Watkins et al on this R&B-Gospel fused masterpiece. Take a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8ysDy2vzE

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Another one my Glenn Jones favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k267WERL37s

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 10:11 PM
Just finished reading the YouTube comments for "We've Only Just Begun" vids, with over 8 Million!!! views. Another, has close to two million views and more than 7000 fans combined are still jamming to this in 2019! Can't wait to see and hear Glenn Jones hit those David Ruffin, Ali Woodson, and Eddie Kendricks notes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzs3mUkkmA

MusicWise
11-16-2019, 10:24 PM
I believe Glenn Jones will bring some EXCITEMENT back into the Tempts performances...I had grown tired of the same-ole sets year-after-year. ��

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARnAPeZfnM

Bluebrock
11-17-2019, 03:49 AM
When I discovered Glenn Jones was the newest Tempt, I quickly remembered how versatile he is. Not only was Jones a Grammy Nominated artist with a string of hits, in the 80s and 90's, Jones won a Stellar Award, for the bestselling gospel album, "Walking By Faith" that he co-produced for The Canton Spirituals, featuring the hit song he wrote "Never Let Go"

Glenn Jones, his wife, Genobia Jeter-Jones join Harvey Watkins et al on this R&B-Gospel fused masterpiece. Take a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ8ysDy2vzE

He is probably as good a male vocalist as i have ever heard. I have all of his albums and have seen him live in a small intimate venue where he was quite outstanding.
This may persuade me to go and see the Temps again after a 20 or so year absence.

arr&bee
11-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Hey marv,excuse me for being out of the loop...but who is glenn jones??

marv2
11-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Hey marv,excuse me for being out of the loop...but who is glenn jones??

He is a very popular R&B solo artist from the late 80s and on wards. I met him once briefly after one of his concerts in Toledo, OH. Nice guy.

midnightman
11-17-2019, 12:49 PM
They can't go wrong with Glenn. One of the greatest '80s and '90s R&B vocalists. He fits more into the Ali-Ollie/Barrington category. Just an amazing singer. The Tempts will definitely get some new energy from this! I wasn't feeling Larry too much.

As long as Otis, Ron and Terry are there, they can't go wrong. Need to hear how Willie sounds. Hard for any bass vocalist to compete with Melvin.

robb_k
11-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Great thread Marv. I am somewhat mystified as to Otis' power. Couldn't the rest of group out vote him. ?Although I guess owning the name and being an original gave him the final say.
Not only owning the name, but Otis had started the group as Otis Williams and The Sibirians, in 1958, before they even changed their name to The Distants. He, himself, "allowed" Richard Street to join the group in 1959. He "allowed" Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to join after they left Johnnie Mae Matthews, and Richard Street was still deciding if he wanted to stay with them to take up Berry Gordy's earlier offer and come and see him about signing on with Motown. So, he has always considered the group as his. When they changed the group's name to The Temptations, the other members didn't complain, and stop Otis from continuing on as owner of the group's new name. So, HE had that extra power of leaving the group, and taking the group's name with him, and signing new members, and continuing on as The Temptations. While the others could only replace him, or not, and choose another group name. Once The Temptations became famous, it was even more important for the others to "allow Otis to do what he wanted" because they had too much invested in the goodwill they had built up with the public and their fans to start over with a new name.

marv2
11-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Not only owning the name, but Otis had started the group as Otis Williams and The Barbarians, in 1958, before they even changed their name to The Distants. He, himself, "allowed" Richard Street to join the group in 1959. He "allowed" Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to join after they left Johnnie Mae Matthews, and Richard Street was still deciding if he wanted to stay with them to take up Berry Gordy's earlier offer and come and see him about signing on with Motown. So, he has always considered the group as his. When they changed the group's name to The Temptations, the other members didn't complain, and stop Otis from continuing on as owner of the group's new name. So, HE had that extra power of leaving the group, and taking the group's name with him, and signing new members, and continuing on as The Temptations. While the others could only replace him, or not, and choose another group name. Once The Temptations became famous, it was even more important for the others to "allow Otis to do what he wanted" because they had too much invested in the goodwill they had built up with the public and their fans to start over with a new name.

I heard it was because he could hit/punch the hardest! LOL!

StuBass1
11-17-2019, 07:46 PM
I think Otis realized early on that lacking stylistic lead vocal abilities that would make him marketable to many other groups, he needed to come up with more than just his voice to solidify his importance to any group he was a member of, and thus, quickly assumed the leadership and organizational role with all his groups early on that resulted in his becoming a quasi "player/coach" to the Temptations... It was Otis who took a lot of the heat when first Elbridge, then David began acting out and Otis was quite fortunate that he had the backing of Melvin or he likely could not have survived and the group could have split up at any of those junctures perhaps leaving Otis the odd man out without a group... I remember being at the Mowest studios one day in the early-mid 80's [[ as I recall we were there hanging out with Ralphs brother Russ) as the group members gathered in the lobby with Dennis there who had likely been unceremoniously fired by Otis and being a fly on the wall...[[actually practically IN the conversation) they were waiting for Otis to show up and Dennis was strategizing with the other guys how to appeal to Otis for Otis to allow him back in the group... I was leaving as Otis was showing up and don't recall just which incarnation of Dennis and the Temps this was but I didn't even know at the time what was going on internally with the group as I had just left a 3 or 4 years stint of doing news at Detroit's popular Country Music station WWWW, and had just moved to Los Angeles... I give Otis credit for realizing all that though and using his talents as an organizer, being the least talented singer of the lot...

midnightman
11-17-2019, 09:02 PM
One thing Otis deserves credit for: he probably has discovered some of the greatest soul singers in history and has found some of the most talented singers to front his group. Be it Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Melvin Franklin, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Ali-Ollie Woodson, Ron Tyson, Theo Peoples, Barrington Henderson, Terry Weeks, and then hire well known but still unsung [[in their own rights) singers such as G.C. and Glenn Jones. He definitely earned his legend status with the other Temptations such as Eddie, David, Dennis, Paul and Melvin.

StuBass1
11-17-2019, 09:20 PM
One thing Otis deserves credit for: he probably has discovered some of the greatest soul singers in history and has found some of the most talented singers to front his group. Be it Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Melvin Franklin, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Ali-Ollie Woodson, Ron Tyson, Theo Peoples, Barrington Henderson, Terry Weeks, and then hire well known but still unsung [[in their own rights) singers such as G.C. and Glenn Jones. He definitely earned his legend status with the other Temptations such as Eddie, David, Dennis, Paul and Melvin.
Yes, Otis did pull the classic group together and at that point, for a lot of these singers, The Temptations were the best thing going... fairly steady work, even in the leaner days as opposed to a lot of those guys option of taking a shot at joining or putting together a group and taking a shot as an unknown or lesser known group of artists... Tempts were still and pretty much always considered the cream of the classic group crop once the Philly groups began to peter out making way for an entire new generation of young groups and boy bands...

marv2
11-17-2019, 09:22 PM

He did not discover Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams or David Ruffin. He did not discover Dennis Edwards, Richard Street or Ali- Ollie Woodson. All of them were already singing on their own or in groups. Ali Woodson went to the Temptations to audition for a spot. Richard was in one of the groups with Otis that preceded the Temptations. David Ruffin was a solo artist that was recording on his own before joining the Tempts. Eddie and Paul were members of the Primes competitors of the Distants or whatever Otis was calling his group before they joined.

arr&bee
11-18-2019, 02:24 PM
You all know that i love no group anywhere near as much as the temps[always have-always will]been a fan since i was twelve years old-i'm sixty seven and still here,otis can do no wrong in my book but i've always wondered and maybe stu can chime in on this-according to otis himself,eddie called him about getting together and asked if paul could join also,so i've asked myself-is perhaps eddie responsible for the temps being the group that we all love because of him and paul? Had they not joined would otis and any others he had passed the audition and had the long term success? Just wondering!

StuBass1
11-18-2019, 03:02 PM
You all know that i love no group anywhere near as much as the temps[always have-always will]been a fan since i was twelve years old-i'm sixty seven and still here,otis can do no wrong in my book but i've always wondered and maybe stu can chime in on this-according to otis himself,eddie called him about getting together and asked if paul could join also,so i've asked myself-is perhaps eddie responsible for the temps being the group that we all love because of him and paul? Had they not joined would otis and any others he had passed the audition and had the long term success? Just wondering!
I'm really not all that familiar with the genesis of the formation of the Temptations other than the story that Otis told in his book and movie... When I met Paul they were just coming into their own as a hitmaking group...probably around 1964 or 65 with the classic 5... I do remember one performance I was at in about 65 at the State Fairgrounds when Paul kind of left the other guys who were hanging out backstage after their show and Paul, who was more of a loaner asked a few of us kids to walk with him to his car and he split while the rest of the guys were still partying and hanging out...

marv2
11-18-2019, 03:19 PM

I have to agree with you. Eddie brought the unique lead vocals and Paul brought the showmanship and excellent vocals to the group. They did not take off until Eddie and Paul united with Otis, Melvin and Elbridge. I can't remember the names of the guys that dropped out of Otis' group. The Primes included Kel Osbourne before he dropped out for a solo career.

arr&bee
11-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys,just wondering-temptations forever!!

robb_k
11-19-2019, 05:05 PM
I have to agree with you. Eddie brought the unique lead vocals and Paul brought the showmanship and excellent vocals to the group. They did not take off until Eddie and Paul united with Otis, Melvin and Elbridge. I can't remember the names of the guys that dropped out of Otis' group. The Primes included Kel Osbourne before he dropped out for a solo career.
The two members who dropped out of Otis Williams' Distants were lead singer, Richard Street, and James Crawford. Richard wanted to go solo, and, more importantly, wanted to get more into songwriting and production. He joined up with Don Davis and Norman Whitfield at Thelma Records, where he was a songwriter and assistant producer. He also formed a new Distants group, which Crawford joined for a short while, before moving on to The Magnetics, who recorded for Popcorn Wylie at Allrite Records. Whitfield left Thelma and his own K.O. [[Knockout) Records for Motown, and, a few months later, got Street into Motown.

One COULD say that Otis "discovered" Richard Street, as he asked him to join his new group, The Distants, in early 1959, and sing lead, BEFORE Richard had recorded, or was known at all.

Otis formed his first group, The Siberians in mid 1958. The first line-up included: Otis Williams, Elbridge "Al" Bryant, James Crawford, Arthur Walton, and Vernard Plain. Arthur and Vernard left, and were replaced by Melvin and Richard, to form The Distants.

Maybe you wouldn't call it really "taking off", but The Distants charted on the R&B stations with "Come On", and had a minor regional hit [[Midwest) with it in late 1959- early 1960. I remember Al Benson playing it regularly on Chicago's WGES, and it was certainly played by the DJs on the 2 R&B stations in Detroit. They all also played the ballad flip, "Always" for a while.

robb_k
11-19-2019, 05:19 PM
That's a very good question. The Distants' contract with Johnnie Mae Matthews [[Northern Records) was up, and their second record for her had been leased to 7-Arts' Warwick Records, and had not charted [[unlike their first record). It was harder for them to get bookings for live performances. They were planning to take up Berry Gordy's offer for them to come to him to sign with Motown, when their lead singer, Richard Street suddenly decided to drop out. Otis couldn't sign his group to Motown without a lead singer. None of Bryant, Melvin, or Otis was anywhere near good enough to lead, so Gordy was sure to refuse to sign them. If they hadn't gotten the request from Eddie for he and Paul to join with his remaining group, Otis would have had to find a new lead singer, and may well have been rejected by Gordy. We have no way of knowing who he might have come up with, and even if Gordy would have signed them, we don't know if the new group would have also been given David Ruffin as a new lead. Otis new group without Eddie and Paul, may not have even been around Motown by 1964, to have Ruffin brought into them.

robb_k
11-19-2019, 05:36 PM
He did not discover Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams or David Ruffin. He did not discover Dennis Edwards, Richard Street or Ali- Ollie Woodson. All of them were already singing on their own or in groups. Ali Woodson went to the Temptations to audition for a spot. Richard was in one of the groups with Otis that preceded the Temptations. David Ruffin was a solo artist that was recording on his own before joining the Tempts. Eddie and Paul were members of the Primes competitors of the Distants or whatever Otis was calling his group before they joined.
The Primes were gigging, but didn't even have a record deal, and hadn't recorded for anyone, - so one might say [[loosely) that Otis "discovered" them. David Ruffin, on the other hand, was a "Motowner" from the start. He was recording for Gwen and Anna Gordy's Anna Records all the way back in 1959 [[and had a record out then [[leased to George Goldner's Vega Records), while living with Berry's parents; and David's "day jobs" were working for Pops Gordy's construction company, and doing odd jobs for Anna Records, such as packing record boxes and running errands. In 1960, he had a record out on Anna Records. And in 1961 and early 1962, he had 2 records out on Chess' Detroit subsidiary, Check-Mate Records, which came from Anna Records early 1961 master tapes, which ex-Anna co-owner, Billy Davis took with him, when signing with Chess to run their new label. David was basically, a "Gordy family member", who signed right back with Motown in mid 1962, when Check-Mate was dropped and Billy Davis moved to Chicago to run Chess' R&B/Soul production. So, Otis definitely didn't "discover David".

robb_k
11-19-2019, 05:50 PM
It is also true that Otis did NOT discover Dennis Edwards. Dennis had been lead singer of The Celebrities on Detroit's Boss Records in late 1964-65, In mid 1965 he was signed to Motown as a solo artist. He recorded some solo cuts, and was placed into The Contours in early 1966 as their newest lead singer, after Levi's Brother Joe Stubbs [[long-time lead singer of The Falcons) had quit that group. When the rift came between David and Otis because David wanted the group to be billed as "David Ruffin and The Temptations", and Otis wanted him out of the group because of other issues, and he actually left, Dennis was agreed upon by Otis, the other group members, and Berry, as David's replacement. I'm not sure who had the original idea to fill David's spot with Dennis. Maybe someone else here can tell us the answer to that question?

arr&bee
11-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Great info robb,according to otis,he knew dennis from the contours and suggested to eddie that they should try to get him,side note of irony in[1966]at the howard theater the contours were opening a motown revue show starring...the temptations,i was there!

jboy88
11-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Wow, Glenn Jones is a Temptation. Hopefully they’ll cut another album soon. As of now, he and Ricky Owens are the only temps who don’t appear on any recordings. Otherwise, everyone in the group has sung on at least one album.

marv2
11-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Here Glenn is leading the Temptations 2 nights ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGxO5weZMg

arr&bee
11-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Oh,ok he's pretty good.

MusicWise
11-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Here Glenn is leading the Temptations 2 nights ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGxO5weZMg

Hi Marv, that's LB [[Larry Braggs)...

MusicWise
11-21-2019, 07:25 PM
Wow, Glenn Jones is a Temptation. Hopefully they’ll cut another album soon. As of now, he and Ricky Owens are the only temps who don’t appear on any recordings. Otherwise, everyone in the group has sung on at least one album.

Hello Jboy88, what did you think of the last Tempts' last LP, "All The Time"?https://i9.ytimg.com/s_p/OLAK5uy_mtVFSPKwIiM5_unh67-jpG1Q8zNsJdEWc/sddefault.jpg?sqp=CKC33O4Fir7X7AMGCJipitcF&rs=AOn4CLBlhlBYKEVRdPAQLwWn79RCfsgpoQ&v=1524798616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CykhqbsLhdk

MusicWise
11-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Oh,ok he's pretty good.

Hello Arr&Bee, that's Larry Braggs, Otis hasn't announced the new line-up yet.

MusicWise
11-21-2019, 07:46 PM
They can't go wrong with Glenn. One of the greatest '80s and '90s R&B vocalists. He fits more into the Ali-Ollie/Barrington category. Just an amazing singer. The Tempts will definitely get some new energy from this! I wasn't feeling Larry too much.

As long as Otis, Ron and Terry are there, they can't go wrong. Need to hear how Willie sounds. Hard for any bass vocalist to compete with Melvin.

Hello Midnightman, Agreed. I thought LB [[Larry Braggs) would breathe new life into the Tempts, similar to what he'd done with T.O.P. [[Tower of Power) :[[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Qf3uzEwzY

arr&bee
11-22-2019, 06:26 PM
hello arr&bee, that's larry braggs, otis hasn't announced the new line-up yet.oh,ok thanks.

midnightman
11-23-2019, 12:46 PM
The new lineup won't come into place until they finish their last engagements with Larry. :)

tl_harris
11-25-2019, 04:36 PM
A couple of months ago I was bored and so I did hopefully what is an analysis of The Temptations throughout the years that will help in this thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible the only thing I didn't do was to add actual lineups I hope this helps.1659716598

marv2
11-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Hi Marv, that's LB [[Larry Braggs)...

I'm embarrassed. Sorry. I told my brother about this video and that Glenn was leading on it.

marv2
11-25-2019, 04:47 PM
A couple of months ago I was bored and so I did hopefully what is an analysis of The Temptations throughout the years that will help in this thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible the only thing I didn't do was to add actual lineups I hope this helps.1659716598

Wow, thanks. Hey Tl_Harris, did you check out the early pages of this thread? There is a lot of information in those first several pages in this thread.

MusicWise
11-27-2019, 12:44 AM
I'm embarrassed. Sorry. I told my brother about this video and that Glenn was leading on it.

Don't be...the poster transposed the date of the concert.

MusicWise
11-27-2019, 01:04 AM

Thank God, Otis, Ron, Glen, Louis, G.C., and Joe, are still going strong. TFS

tl_harris
11-30-2019, 05:43 PM

Here is something I worked on....I hope this helps.

T.L. Harris

tl_harris
11-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Here's the other one sorry it's sideways....I sid it from my phone.

T.L. Harris

MusicWise
12-01-2019, 03:08 AM
He is probably as good a male vocalist as i have ever heard. I have all of his albums and have seen him live in a small intimate venue where he was quite outstanding.
This may persuade me to go and see the Temps again after a 20 or so year absence.

Hello Bluebrock, glad you had the opportunity to see Glenn Jones perform in person. I'm looking forward to the Tempts new incarnation in 2020! I was greatly disappointed with Larry Braggs' performance in 2018. But pleasantly, surprised by Bruce Williamson's showmanship in 2014. Now, if Glenn Jones can do justice to "My Girl" and "Stay" that will be my litmus test for me attending any upcoming or future concerts after 2020. TFS

Bluebrock
12-01-2019, 03:59 AM
Hello Bluebrock, glad you had the opportunity to see Glenn Jones perform in person. I'm looking forward to the Tempts new incarnation in 2020! I was greatly disappointed with Larry Braggs' performance in 2018. But pleasantly, surprised by Bruce Williamson's showmanship in 2014. Now, if Glenn Jones can do justice to "My Girl" and "Stay" that will be my litmus test for me attending any upcoming or future concerts after 2020. TFS
As happy as i am with the news of Glenn joining the Temps, a vocalist as good as him should still be making great solo albums. He is way too good to not be recording new music. I hope the Temps get to record a new album with Glenn's voice out front. That would be something.
Going slightly off topic i recall watching an episode of Chicago pd earlier this year and Glenn's "we've only just begun [[the romance is not over)" was playing in a party scene. It sounded oh so good.....