PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Says New Michael CD Should Not Have Come Out

test

jobeterob
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Having amassed 27 Grammy awards during his career, it’s no wonder Quincy Jones has plenty of opinions about the current state of music.

In an interview with Us Weekly to chat about Jones’s tribute album, “Q: Soul Bossa Nostra,” the 77-year-old music wunderkind took the time to touch on a few of the biggest names and stories in entertainment.

Having been the man behind the boards on Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” Jones was first asked about his thoughts on the new, posthumous album set for a December 14 release.

“No way it should be coming out,” Jones said of the project titled, “Michael.” “It should have all stayed in the vault…It seems like everybody is trying to put everything out that they can with him. I don’t understand it. It’s all to make money. He wouldn’t have wanted it to come out this way.”

Jones also spoke about another super producer [[and frequent MJ sampler), Kanye West, whose latest disc, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” is a critical – and sure to be commercial – darling. But does Q think he and Mr. West should be mentioned in the same breath?

“Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man. He’s just a rapper,” Jones said. “There’s no comparison. I’m not putting him down or making a judgment or anything, but we come from two different sides of the planet…A producer has to have some sort of skills that enable him to be a producer. It’s totally different to know what to do with 16 woodwinds you know from piccolos down to bass clarinet. It’s a whole different mindset. No comparison. None.”

Jones did have praise for some of the industry’s current and rising stars. Aside from noting that Akon, Usher and Ludacris possess the “spark” that Jackson had, Jones admitted he is big on Lady Gaga.

“She’s great,” he said, praising everyone’s favorite meat-covered pop goddess. “Gaga is like Madonna Jr. A lot of people follow Madonna.”

“Q: Soul Bossa Nostra,” which features the likes of Amy Winehouse, Mary J. Blige and T-Pain covering Jones's classics, is currently available in stores

nomis
11-23-2010, 07:13 PM
kanye sure to be not happy about that..he will probably reply to Q in a rap soon...as for MJ its Babylon on the MJ forums over these new tracks..opinion is divided right down the middle if they are legit are not..plently of fans are boycotting the new cd where others swear that its MJs voice they hear..one things for sure the cover artwork is terrible...

soulster
11-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I have long since decided that I do not need the new MJ album. I have all the MJ-approved music I need.

ladyvanaye
11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Quincy Jones, as much as I love your work and you are my favorite producer...YOU LET AKON MAKE OVER STRAWBERRY LETTER 23 HIP HOP STYLE...SYNTHESIZED TO PIECES...

nomis
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
..yes Lady V Akon is about a legit as Kanye..alot of older people sound like fools when they try and discuss todays music.

daddyacey
11-24-2010, 05:24 AM
"Quincy Says New Michael CD Should Not Have Come Out"
Well when Q said that.......that was the end of the issue of should it have come out or not. The Family came out against it, and that is to be expected. But when Q said that , it was over for me. He is the only credible ,producer that has worked with Michael on an extensive level ,let alone the fact that this is from the Master himself. [[What he said of Kanye ,amounts to your Great Grandaddy telling you to "go sit your ass down someplace boy".:D :D)

I would not buy this CD until I had a chance to hear it first. I feel I owe it at least a listen and I fully understand that there is a good chance that I'll be p.o.'d after hearing it. What would be the right thing to do would be to release the better of the many outakes and demo's from Q, Teddy Riley ,Rodney Jerkins and Jam & Lewis. They choose to release material that they claim Michael was working on for an album before he passed. If it was so important ,why wasn't any new material released
prior to his death. Is that what makes it so important now? What about the periods and work as he became the icon that he was ,not only as an entertainer but as a writer and producer? That sh.. is history ,but the legacy of the man and his music is overshadowed just enough by B.S. baggage like the Monkey ,the Scandals ,all the other gimmicks ,that don't have nothin to do directly with what was coming out the speakers when Michael was performing.
Instead we have a constant changing balance between blasfemy and respect for his craft.
The gift of genius comes with a very heavy price.

Kamasu_Jr
11-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Quincy Jones, as much as I love your work and you are my favorite producer...YOU LET AKON MAKE OVER STRAWBERRY LETTER 23 HIP HOP STYLE...SYNTHESIZED TO PIECES...

II saw Quincy Jones on The View last week and he was promoting his new album and he had these rappers and hip hop artists doing an undated version of Soul Bossa Nova. The rappers were trying to recreate the sounds made by horns and other instruments that Jones originally used. understand Quincy wants to remain current and relevant to today's music scene, but there is nothing wrong with the original recording from 1962-63. It doesn't need updating.

soulster
11-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Well, Q is still an artist, He enjoys giving the younger guys a chance to stretch their talent beyond what they normally do. An artist does not keep doing the same thing over and over. That's what the fans like.

pshark
11-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Quincy Jones, as much as I love your work and you are my favorite producer...YOU LET AKON MAKE OVER STRAWBERRY LETTER 23 HIP HOP STYLE...SYNTHESIZED TO PIECES...Shuggie Otis is the original artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR1JQOBRrUY
http://therisingstorm.net/shuggie-otis-freedom-flight/

ladyvanaye
11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Shuggie Otis is the original artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR1JQOBRrUY
http://therisingstorm.net/shuggie-otis-freedom-flight/

...and how well I know this P SHark..;.but it was made over with Quincy - that is my point. And they [[Q and Akon) remade it over to the Brothers Johnson version ...:)

pshark
11-26-2010, 04:58 PM
You might know it LadyV, but there's still people around who thinks Bros Johnson is the orioginal

carlo
11-26-2010, 07:40 PM
“No way it should be coming out,” Jones said of the project titled, “Michael.” “It should have all stayed in the vault…It seems like everybody is trying to put everything out that they can with him. I don’t understand it. It’s all to make money. He wouldn’t have wanted it to come out this way.”

AMEN QUINCY!!! I'm so glad that someone FINALLY "gets it"! That's what I've been saying all along!