PDA

View Full Version : Musically, how would you describe STILL WATERS RUN DEEP?

test

Kraig Diesel
02-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Musically, how would you describe STILL WATERS RUN DEEP?

Methuselah2
02-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Like an adagio in a dream.

marv2
02-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Vocal tranquility!

thommg
02-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love this song, but it never seemed like a finished song to me. Because of another thread, I've been listening to the Still Waters album this last week and am really loving it.

soulster
02-20-2015, 12:39 PM
It's a boring song.

jack020
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
It is a beautiful haunting song and completely different from all other Tops songs!

Kraig Diesel
02-20-2015, 12:50 PM
What about the technicalities [[ instruments, harmony, the overall ambiance) of the song?

thommg
02-20-2015, 01:24 PM
What about the technicalities [[ instruments, harmony, the overall ambiance) of the song?

i think the song is mostly ambiance, very dreamlike and tranquil, but.... just not finished. :)

jobeterob
02-20-2015, 02:21 PM
I never thought of it as unfinished; I thought Still Water [[PEACE) was better, although not as a single.

I liked the album but there was too much filler, even though it was well done filler.

LuvHangOva
02-20-2015, 02:30 PM
​ethereal, atmospheric, adagio, amore, tranquillo

detmotownguy
02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
I suggest it set a certain mood- very relaxing!

thomas96
02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Frank Wilson. The man's a genius. Nothing else even needs to be said.

supremester
02-20-2015, 05:50 PM
It's pleasant enough, but I don't connect to it like so many do. It was a huge triumph for Frank Wilson & The Tops as not only did they get their first hit in years, but a hit album as well. Odd that the public would love that song enough to buy the album where Someday, and Stoned love, for example - both bigger singles by far - didn't get peeps out to buy the album. That's the measure of a hot act or sound.

LuvHangOva
02-20-2015, 10:47 PM
It's pleasant enough, but I don't connect to it like so many do. It was a huge triumph for Frank Wilson & The Tops as not only did they get their first hit in years, but a hit album as well. Odd that the public would love that song enough to buy the album where Someday, and Stoned love, for example - both bigger singles by far - didn't get peeps out to buy the album. That's the measure of a hot act or sound.t

it is one of my favorite Motown songs. I really like some of Frank Wilson's stuff like this and [[cover your eyes Gregg) "Touch" by the Supremes. I like the floaty, dreamy, ethereal mood he created with both.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-21-2015, 01:45 AM
Like jobeterob, I, too, prefer "Still Water [[Peace)". As much as I love The '70s Supremes, I never cared much for their version of the song "Touch", especially as an intended hit single. I much prefer The Originals' version of "Touch". Can I get a witness here?

roger
02-21-2015, 07:31 AM
​ethereal, atmospheric, adagio, amore, tranquillo

My thoughts exactly LuvHangOva .. :)

I wouldn't say it was their first hit in years as been suggested by others on this thread as its predecessor "It's All In The Game" had also been successful [[#24 Pop and #6 R&B on the Billboard listings and an impressive #5 in The U.K.) In fact musically I always pair "Still Waters" with "It's All In The Game" in the same way I would pair "Can't Help Myself"/"Same Old Song" or "Reach Out"/"Standing In The Shadows Of Love".

Roger

honest man
02-21-2015, 07:36 AM
musically, how would you describe still waters run deep?perfection

dennis_coffey
02-21-2015, 10:14 AM
I played on that record. The groove accents sounded backwards to me when we were recording the track. Later when I heard it on the radio, it sounded great! I did a lot of sessions for Frank. Frank also presented me with my Heroes and Legends Award at the Beverly Hills Hotel a few years ago.

marv2
02-21-2015, 10:28 AM
I played on that record. The groove accents sounded backwards to me when we were recording the track. Later when I heard it on the radio, it sounded great! I did a lot of sessions for Frank. Frank also presented me with my Heroes and Legends Award at the Beverly Hills Hotel a few years ago.

Great story Dennis and thank you. I did not know you did that session....excellent!

rovereab
02-21-2015, 12:42 PM
A fantastic song full of ambience IMO but it must certainly rank near the top of the "Songs with short lyrics" chart :)

Philles/Motown Gary
02-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Dennis! I love hearing the behind-the-scenes stories about any and all of Motown's recordings. Congrats on the Heroes And Legends Award. BTW, just bought your "Guitars, Bars And Motown Superstars" book. Can't wait to read it!

ralpht
02-21-2015, 05:10 PM
My brother contends to this day that the Still Waters album was one of his all time favorite projects. He loved working with Frank who was smart enough to give Russ free reign. The two of them mixing was always a sight to behold.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Ralph, now that you've successfuly written two books describing yours and Russ' exciting behind-the-scenes experiences at Motown, we need you to write a Volume 3 to keep the Motown Story flowing. - Gary

ralpht
02-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Got any ideas on what I should write about, Gary?

theboyfromxtown
02-22-2015, 08:49 AM
How about controlling the Motown forum !

lolol

ralpht
02-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Ahhhh...John...If only......

Philles/Motown Gary
02-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Got any ideas on what I should write about, Gary?

Anything and everything, Ralph. You know our Motown appetites are insatiable!