PDA

View Full Version : "Library" books about Diana Ross and other Motown stars for Elementary/Middle School

test

mike_sku
02-19-2015, 10:27 PM
This year I was given the position of school librarian. Does anyone know of any books available for elementary/middle school age children that feature Motown artists? The only African-American singer I found a book about [[and is actually in our school library) is Aretha Franklin. [[If there isn't anything already in print, wouldn't this be a good idea?)

marv2
02-19-2015, 10:37 PM
This year I was given the position of school librarian. Does anyone know of any books available for elementary/middle school age children that feature Motown artists? The only African-American singer I found a book about [[and is actually in our school library) is Aretha Franklin. [[If there isn't anything already in print, wouldn't this be a good idea?)

Mike, what part of the country are you in?

sansradio
02-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Well, there's "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me: The Story of Diana Ross" by the estimable James Haskins [[1980; decidedly dated, but a good start for intermediate readers) and the more recent "Diana Ross: Star Supreme", also by Haskins [[1986; again, dated, but wonderful for the tween set with excellent illustrations by Jim Spence). These have been out of print for years, but, of course, Amazon could yield copies.

mike_sku
02-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Marv, I'm in Philly.

mike_sku
02-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the info, sans...I'll see if I can find them somehow. Maybe Amazon is the source to try.

marv2
02-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Marv, I'm in Philly.

One of my hometowns! Ok. I am going to take a little time this weekend to think of a decent, comprehensive list for you. One very good one to start with is "Motown" by David Morse. I remember that one from my own grade school days.

Marv

marv2
02-20-2015, 10:54 PM
I just checked and it is available via Amazon.com. The cover has changed from back in the day [[there was a great painting of Jean, Mary and Cindy from the "New Ways, But Love Stays album cover back then. Amazon has the paperback priced at $14.55.

http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Rock-Books-David-Morse/dp/0289701309

Here is a shot of the original cover :

marv2
02-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Another good one is "The Jackson Five" by Ellen Motoviloff . Amazon carries it for $ 1.00

http://www.amazon.com/The-Jackson-5-Ellen-Motoviloff/dp/B002EN6PDC

marv2
02-20-2015, 11:01 PM
This one by Lisa Cohen on "Little Stevie Wonder" sounds perfect for kids:

sansradio
02-20-2015, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info, sans...I'll see if I can find them somehow. Maybe Amazon is the source to try.

You got it, Mike. I also remember a series of pop star biographies from my youth that included Diana and Stevie; I'll try to research and find the precise name. Also of note is Diana Ross: Entertainer by John Wyeth, Jr.