PDA

View Full Version : Lesley Gore Mowest Discography

test

woodward
02-17-2015, 11:37 AM
According to Heat Wave by David Bianco, Lesley Gore had two records released on the Mowest label during her "Motown" experience. One was a 45 Mowest 5029 and an LP Mowest 117. There was a second 45 scheduled for released but it is indicated to be unissued.

I went to Keith Hughe's fabulous DFTMC.INFO and according to him, she had a total of 13 songs recorded. Between the MW 5029 and the MW 117 releases there was only one song never issued, that being Give It To Me Sweet Thing.

The title of the MW 117 album is Someplace Else Now.

keith_hughes
02-17-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm afraid that DFTMC has not been so fabulous in this case. "Give It To Me Sweet Thing" appeared on Lesley's 1976 A&M album, "Love Me By Name", her next LP after "Someplace Else Now", but I've looked through the paperwork I have and can't trace any Motown recording of the song. Whatever was I thinking of? Just the 12 recordings in the can, I'm afraid - no out-takes or alts as far as I can see.

jobeterob
02-17-2015, 02:24 PM
I always thought She Said That was a pretty decent song and in the right time, could have made the charts.

jobeterob
02-17-2015, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3i-_XVRjBk

no_place_like_motown
02-17-2015, 04:29 PM
I enjoyed a few songs from Lesley's MoWest LP. I always liked "She Said That" as well. Another fave that comes to mind from that album was "Don't Wanna Be One".

May you RIP Lesley and thank you for sharing your gift with us...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_rQ9M8t0o

no_place_like_motown
02-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Here's a great rare single that I loved by Lesley recorded in 1968 co-written by Thom Bell and produced by Gamble & Huff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rme45v5J1Kw

no_place_like_motown
02-17-2015, 04:48 PM
And the B-side "I'll Be Standing By," written & produced by G&H and arranged by Thom Bell & Bobby Martin. I'm sure Lesley had a good time recording these tunes over at Sigma Sound in Philly. She nailed this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ7-xGF-WuY

marybrewster
02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
I always thought "She Said That" was too country. Lesley, like Dusty, made their marks with "blue eyed soul". I think this was just the wrong sound for her. Truth told, "SST" sounds a lot like it could have been a Helen Reddy record.

Interesting that Motown thought they could do something with Lesley and the Four Seasons on MoWest. Truth told, Motown never did have musch success with "white" artists: Bobby Darin, "Granny" Ryan, Chris Clark, Debbie Dean.....

jobeterob
02-17-2015, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfH5tdKqNh8

Lesley & Lou at their later day best!

jobeterob
02-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Quincy Jones

Producer signed Gore to Mercury Records
· 17 hrs · .

I am heartbroken at the news today of the passing of Lesley Gore. I discovered Lesley, almost on a dare, in 1963 when she was 16 years old and I was Vice President of Mercury Records and we would go on to make 16 hit songs together including 'It's My Party,' 'Judy's Turn to Cry,' 'You Don't Own Me,' and 'Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows.' Lesley was an incredibly soulful singer/songwriter even at that young and that was why the world embraced her songs the way it did. It is important to remember that at one point, the only group that surpassed her in the pop charts was The Beatles. It was a privelege to have been a part of Lesley's life personally and professionally from those early days until now, and although I will miss her deeply, her essence will remain with us always through her music.

Like · · Share · 9,2744921,351

woodward
02-17-2015, 07:25 PM
After seeing about Thom Bell's involvement with Lesley, I had some interest in purchasing The Mercury Anthology. Then all of a sudden I thought, do I have this CD in my collection? Lo and behold, I did. Look the Other Way is not included in the 52 song double CD. I was looking at the booklet with the CD and at the very end it stated Special thanks to . . .
and HARRY WEINGER. This was released in 1996.

marybrewster
02-17-2015, 07:29 PM
It is important to remember that at one point, the only group that surpassed her in the pop charts was The Beatles.

Bless his heart.

jobeterob
02-17-2015, 07:37 PM
One of the people that produced the TAMI show reissue mentioned that she was the big star at the time and the star of the show!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2015, 12:55 PM
"She Said That" was always my fav track from Lesley's "Someplace Else Now". It's a well-structured song with a pretty melody and uniquely-addicting chords, although I never quite understood the message being conveyed in the lyrics [[She said that, not me; she did that, not me; and she died, not me.) Am I missing something here, or was Lesley just trying to be contemporary and artsie-fartsie at the time? Either way, she does a great job on the vocals, and the back-up girls provide the perfect accent.. Beautiful, Lesley, wherever you are. - Gary

jobeterob
02-18-2015, 03:40 PM
The message I got out of She Said That [[if one could be gotten) was get out, get off your butt, stop complaining and live your life in a happy way doing what is good for you.

I hope life was good for Lesley; I have every reason to believe she was blessed and had a great life.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-18-2015, 05:16 PM
I think Lesley was happy, Rob. She was in a stable, loving relationship of 30+ years [[which is more than most people can say), and she was still doing what she loved best -- performing. I just heard today, however, that she never smoked, yet she got lung cancer. Talk about a raw deal! It just goes to show ya -- do what you wanna do and live your life the way you want. When your number's up, you're gonna die either way. Might as well go happy.

jobeterob
02-18-2015, 05:47 PM
I couldn't imagine that Lesley smoked. I recall Donna Summer said she believed she died of lung cancer because she was in NYC for 9 - 11 and she thought caused her cancer.

Sadly, cancer does not discriminate and even if you do everything right, it sometimes hits us.

144man
02-19-2015, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=keith_hughes;271891]I'm afraid that DFTMC has not been so fabulous in this case. "Give It To Me Sweet Thing" appeared on Lesley's 1976 A&M album, "Love Me By Name", her next LP after "Someplace Else Now", but I've looked through the paperwork I have and can't trace any Motown recording of the song. Whatever was I thinking of? Just the 12 recordings in the can, I'm afraid

"Give It to Me Sweet Thing" [[Mowest 5042) is included in Gordon Frewin's Discography in Sharon Davis's "Motown The History". I always thought this was an official listing. The usually-reliable discography in Don Waller's "The Motown Story" also includes it.

jobeterob
02-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Lesley did make a mark; for a while, she was the top trending item on Facebook, even after all these years.