PDA

View Full Version : Four Tops Motown - post Still Water

test

sup_fan
02-14-2015, 01:43 PM
just found a copy of Fourever box set and it has the original, unedited version of Still Water that starts with Peace and then segues into Love. the whole Still Water lp is just brilliant and a classic i listen to all the time

thought we could discuss the 4T efforts after this and prior to ABC. there's Changing Times, the Moody Blues work and Nature Planned it.

IMO Changing Times was a weak follow up to Still. the singles released just didn't have much power to them.

I think Nature Planned it is a great set. the whole lp is another fav and i listen to it a lot. Wonder why I Can't Quit Your Love didn't do better. didn't even make the Top 100. i like that track a lot. Walk With Me is great too. maybe that should have been lead single since it's such a classic 4T sound and doo-wop. then follow up with Quit.

BayouMotownMan
02-14-2015, 08:50 PM
I think the trio of lps Frank Wilson did for the Tops, Still Water, Changing Times and Nature Planned It are all excellent albums and I never tire of listening to them. I'd have to agree that Changing Times is the weaker of the three, but still an excellent lp even though the ticks between each track does get annoying.

The problem with Changing Times, IMHO was that Motown rushed it out after the unexpected smash success of Still Water. Side A is outstanding on the second lp but the B side seems rushed and unfinished to my ears. Still a great outing to me.

By the time Nature Planned It was issued, the Tops had signed with ABC. During the negotiations Motown hastily released an edited version of the Tops outstanding MacArthur Park from a 1969 album. Nature Planned It had several possible hits on it. The title track is gorgeous, with an odd rhythm much like The Supremes Touch from the previous year.

sup_fan
02-14-2015, 09:03 PM
oh i wish they'd do deluxe versions of these lps, assuming there's additional studio material to release. The Moody Blues stuff is interesting but man, talk about a shift off course. i wonder if motown didn't "approve" of that and therefore canceled any company support for Changing. just speculating here.

or perhaps Changing got lost with the "excessive" material syndrome due to all of the Sup duets that were flooding the market.

i haven't listend to Changing in a while but will be spinning that tonight.

honest man
02-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Walk with me talk with me was issued as a single in UK I Remember it got airplay 71-72,cheers.

RobertZ
02-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I, too, love "Changing Times" - for whatever reason I play it a lot in Autumn. I would love to see "Nature..." available on cd [[as far as I know, it is not - at least not readily)

sup_fan
02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
i found a copy of the Natural on cd on ebay from the 90s. i'd love to have it remastered and cleaned up but at least i do have it on disc. and i think they did a more recent two-fer. check around online

Philles/Motown Gary
02-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Walk with me talk with me was issued as a single in UK I Remember it got airplay 71-72,cheers.

Honest man, I especially love "I'll Never Change" and "Walk With Me, Talk With Me". They were classic-1960's-Motown shuffle-beat! Nobody could master a shuffle-beat quite like my musical heroes at Motown [[and Phil Spector).