PDA

View Full Version : Jean, Mary, Cindy on the Merv Griffin Show

test

carlo
02-13-2015, 11:24 PM
I was going through some 10 year old computer files and discovered some audio that I didn't even know I had. It's audio of the 70's Supremes on the Merv Griffin show. I believe they are recorded from a couple of different performances. One is of "Up the Ladder to the Roof", another is "Floy Joy" and it sounds like Cindy possibly singing [[although that can't be possible? It doesn't sound like Lynda?)...and at the beginning, they are presented with a gold record for "Nathan Jones" and another performance is "Where You Lead, I'll Follow" and then an interview segment. Anyone have more info??

carlo
02-13-2015, 11:25 PM
I also seem to remember a recent discussion on here in regards to a rare, early, 70's Supremes TV appearance?

Weslley Francisco
02-13-2015, 11:42 PM
OMG! What a find!! Can you upload it on YouTube Carlo?

soulballad
02-13-2015, 11:55 PM
I do recall an audio only of Cindy singing a verse in Floy Joy, I can't say for sure it was on Merv Griffin but I'm thinking it's the same one

detmotownguy
02-14-2015, 12:21 AM
I thought Floy Joy was on YouTube

carlo
02-14-2015, 12:24 AM
I couldn't get it on Youtube, but here it is for your listening pleasure...

https://soundcloud.com/carlo8973/sets/70s-supremes

detmotownguy
02-14-2015, 01:12 AM
Thanks for sharing.

rod_rick
02-14-2015, 01:37 AM
I do recall an audio only of Cindy singing a verse in Floy Joy, I can't say for sure it was on Merv Griffin but I'm thinking it's the same one

Yes that's Cindy on Floy Joy singing a few lead lines. I always wondered if they ever recorded Floy Joy with all three sharing the lead.

Hey Carlo thanks for sharing the link on the above post.

blackguy69
02-14-2015, 02:58 AM
Jan 27 1972 Floy Joy and where you lead
April 15, 1970 Up the Ladder to the Roof

blackguy69
02-14-2015, 03:04 AM
Yes that's Cindy on Floy Joy singing a few lead lines. I always wondered if they ever recorded Floy Joy with all three sharing the lead.

Hey Carlo thanks for sharing the link on the above post.
One thing I did like is the fact that you really hear Mary and Cindy [[esp. on the Up the Ladder)

marv2
02-14-2015, 04:03 AM

Carlo, that was posted years ago in the Yahoo Groups. That stuff still remains in all those old groups.

carlo
02-14-2015, 11:19 AM
My pleasure guys. As Marv pointed out, these files originally came from another fan, but I'm happy I was able to share these again. It was quite a surprise, as I didn't know I had them.

sup_fan
02-14-2015, 11:58 AM
a while back there was a Nightflight episode that featured all live tv [[audio) performances from the Jean years. lots of great clips, of which these Merv's were included.

carlo
02-14-2015, 12:09 PM
It would be fantastic if footage of these appearances surface one day. I've heard of a couple of fans who have it on BETA tapes. It must be out there if we have the audio.

carlo
02-14-2015, 12:10 PM
I think I may have seen a screen capture/still from one of these appearances on one of the Facebook fan groups? I believe the ladies are wearing street clothes and Mary is wearing something orange?

marv2
02-14-2015, 12:35 PM
My pleasure guys. As Marv pointed out, these files originally came from another fan, but I'm happy I was able to share these again. It was quite a surprise, as I didn't know I had them.

I am happy you did share them. I really meant that there may be other forgotten treasures lying in those dorment groups.

carlo
02-14-2015, 12:58 PM
It's all good. Yes, I remember there were some radio interviews and radio spots, including one for the Supremes' 1975 album.

detmotownguy
02-15-2015, 12:04 AM
Carlo, do you remember a sound clip of Mary Scherrie and Cindy in the studio with one of the Hollands brothers guiding them through a song. I cannot for the life of me remember the which song it was. At least I think it was a Holland brother. It was on one of the old Yahoo groups and I am wondering if you might have it. Heck maybe Marv has it.

Thanks in advance!

marv2
02-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Carlo, do you remember a sound clip of Mary Scherrie and Cindy in the studio with one of the Hollands brothers guiding them through a song. I cannot for the life of me remember the which song it was. At least I think it was a Holland brother. It was on one of the old Yahoo groups and I am wondering if you might have it. Heck maybe Marv has it.

Thanks in advance!

The song was "This is Why I Believe in You" and they were going to church on it! It showed how they layered the vocals , built it up into a holy rollin' foot stompin' jam. I am sorry I do not have it.

detmotownguy
02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Damn thats it Marv and church it was ...........whew was driving me crazy all day. Although wasn't a Holland brother! I have it on an old pc but the pc is shot. Man I thought you posted in that old Yahoo group at one time. Maybe Carlo will come through! Thanks anyway.

jillfoster
02-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Yes, it certainly is Cindy... january 27, 1972. Lynda was not anywhere near the group as of yet.

cleoharvey
02-17-2015, 04:33 PM

This is one of my favorite Jean, Mary, Cindy TV performances. After all these years, I still remember it and wondered whether I would ever hear it again. I am so sick about this I could sing the end harmonies of the song. LOL!!!

luke
02-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks Carlo! Liked Floy Joy really for first time...sounded so much better to me than record! However the speed of where you lead and up the ladder took away from the sensibilities of the music to me and jean sounded screechy at times I thought. Loved the harmonies.

thanxal
02-17-2015, 06:33 PM
This is so awesome. I love this version of Floy Joy and love hearing Cindy's voice so clearly.

Weslley Francisco
02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
I also seem to remember a recent discussion on here in regards to a rare, early, 70's Supremes TV appearance?

Here's a shot from their performance of: Where You Lead