PDA

View Full Version : Funk Bros. Overlooked...Again

test

BayouMotownMan
02-13-2015, 09:02 PM
I just watched HDH getting their star in Hollywood. Was great to see Mary Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Mickey Stevenson and the ever youthful Berry Gordy present. Lots of hugs, warmth and lots of names dropped in appreciation, but I never heard one Funk Brother mentioned. They were so responsible for the timelessness of that incredible music.

Can we make a push to get these incredible musicians a Star themselves?

marv2
02-13-2015, 09:08 PM
They have one already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoskoa15G0

BayouMotownMan
02-13-2015, 09:10 PM
WOW, I didn't know they got a Star. Slipped right by me. They have been so overlooked throughout the Motown saga. Benny Benjamin and James Jamerson together were musical fire.

soulster
02-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Wat entity is in charge of granting these stars?

sansradio
02-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Wat entity is in charge of granting these stars?

I believe it's the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce...and it cost$.

reese
02-16-2015, 05:43 PM
I think the cost is $30,000 plus the honoree has to agree to be present at the ceremony.

StuBass1
02-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Hollywood Chamber of Commerce...The current fee is $30,000, however it cost us $25,000 for The Funk Brothers Star and the Hollywood COC was gracious enough to let us slide for the lower fee since we nominated them prior to the fee increase.. Of course there were many other expenses involved as well...

imnokid
02-17-2015, 05:44 PM
So, anyone with 30K who is any sort of celebrity can get a star?

marv2
02-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Kevin, basically yeah. I was surprised when I saw some of the folks that have stars on the walk of fame,but no real talent.......just the fame.

StuBass1
02-17-2015, 08:57 PM

Not necessarily so...In fact, I can name some pretty well known nominees who were rejected by the committee. The Hollywood Chamber approves a given number of Stars each year in various categories. They have many more nominations than slots for the coming year. Having participated in the process as a nominator and a sponsor [[The Funk Brothers), an initial nomination form and biography must be submitted. Then the Chamber committee goes through the nominations and awards a given number of Stars...usually to equal 2 ceremonies per month, or about 24 per year. The recording category consumes about 5-7 of the Stars in a given year. The sponsors then have five years to submit the funds and schedule the ceremony...

imnokid
02-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Still, a sad thing that it has to be bought, not just earned. But so goes all of the Hall of fames, grammies, etc...

StuBass1
02-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Still, a sad thing that it has to be bought, not just earned. But so goes all of the Hall of fames, grammies, etc...

The fees are essential to maintain the entire length of Hollywood Blvd where over 2,500 Stars are located... Also the ceremonies themselves are quite costly to produce with parts of Hollywood Blvd blocked off, and expenses like security and personnel are factored in...Add in publicity, etc, and of course additional funding for the Chamber to be able to plan and coordinate the ceremonies, pay staff, etc, and there you have it. I don't think that taxpayers would appreciate getting the bill for all of that...