PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Feb 10, 9P-12m ET: Philly and Stuff!

test

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 06:14 PM
Howdy there, Snow Bunnies! Yesterdays snowfall wasn't horrible...just another foot. And Thursday's will be over 6"...but Mother Nature has been kind enough to contain the chaos and minimize the wind...so we thank her so sweetly, for handling it so neatly! Tonight...I've got lots of Philly Soul and other stuff to warm the cockles of your tasteful little hearts. And a surprise that I can't talk about but I can play it. It's soooo pretty. So join me tonight for all this and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks...and see you on the radio!!! John

thanxal
02-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Looking forward to hearing it after several weeks away!!!

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Looking forward to hearing it after several weeks away!!!ANd it will be good to have you back, Brent!!

Glenpwood
02-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Hi John!

hope you had a wonderful week. Thank you once again for allowing me to hijack the show last week. I only hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Looking forward to what you've whipped up for us tonight. Carl and I will see you here at nine!

Glen

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Hi John!

hope you had a wonderful week. Thank you once again for allowing me to hijack the show last week. I only hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Looking forward to what you've whipped up for us tonight. Carl and I will see you here at nine!

Glen Hey there Glen and Carl!!! Glen...it was a pleasure with you jacking the show last week! Tonight? Well....you're a hard act to follow...I will do my best!! Glad you'll both be here!

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 09:38 PM
....in the studio, kiddies!!! Howdyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy there!

Glenpwood
02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Evening John!

Ready to be slayed by that sweet Philly sound!

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Evening John!

Ready to be slayed by that sweet Philly sound!

It is soo sweet....isn't it???? Damn that Thom Bell and Gamble and Huff!!!

Glenpwood
02-10-2015, 10:04 PM
It is soo sweet....isn't it???? Damn that Thom Bell and Gamble and Huff!!!

Goes down soooooooo smooth! Lingers long on the palate before becoming one of my most precious musical memories;)

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Goes down soooooooo smooth! Lingers long on the palate before becoming one of my most precious musical memories;)

Yes....goes down smoooth...like the Devil in velvet trousers.....

Glenpwood
02-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Perfect opener! I just picked up Ship Ahoy on vinyl having never heard it this past week and have been loving it!9042

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Perfect opener! I just picked up Ship Ahoy on vinyl having never heard it this past week and have been loving it!9042

Great collection!!! Never heard it??
My...........well....now you got it!!

Ryon6
02-10-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm in da house too. Sorry I joined you late.

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 10:37 PM
I'm in da house too. Sorry I joined you late.

Tyrone....great to see you....late or not!!

Glenpwood
02-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Perfect Donna Summer choice, John!

midnight johnny
02-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Perfect Donna Summer choice, John! Sir....it's just so pretty, sir!

Glenpwood
02-10-2015, 11:42 PM
See, you just can't keep Diana silent for long;)

midnight johnny
02-11-2015, 12:28 AM
See, you just can't keep Diana silent for long;)

You KNOW it!!! Thank goodness!

Glenpwood
02-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Wow! How could they leave this in the vault? It's gorgeous!

Mark Desjardines
02-11-2015, 12:50 AM
John, just wanted to give you a shoutout from the west coast to say that I am listening this evening , though i did gone in late. You always put together such a great choice of music! Hope spring comes early for you to make up for all that snow!

midnight johnny
02-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Wow! How could they leave this in the vault? It's gorgeous!

Which one?

midnight johnny
02-11-2015, 12:56 AM
John, just wanted to give you a shoutout from the west coast to say that I am listening this evening , though i did gone in late. You always put together such a great choice of music! Hope spring comes early for you to make up for all that snow! You take care over on that West Coast, Sir....always glad when you're here! Thank you, Mark!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-11-2015, 02:09 AM
Hey John, I didn’t know that you’re into the Philly sound. Me, too – BIG TIME! Hope your show went well. Here are a couple hot videos to keep your Philly groove flowing!

In Action – THE THREE DEGREES - "Take Good Care Of Yourself" [[Extended Remix, Submitted by Ruud Mixer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9PlchrigU [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9PlchrigU)

SONS OF ROBIN STONE - "Got To Get You Back" [[Extended Remix, Submitted by Ruud Mixer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVDG8HXBJk8 [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVDG8HXBJk8)

John, since you weren’t familiar with The O’Jays’ "Ship Ahoy" album, which is pretty mainstream Philly, I’m pleased to let you know that there are tons of rare 1970's Philly soul tracks which were recorded at Sigma Sound Studios, most of which are of equally high quality. If you ever have a question about ‘em, just let me know. I’ve got most of them in my CD collection, and I would be happy to fill you in. Hope you like the above videos. - Gary

midnight johnny
02-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Hey John, I didn’t know that you’re into the Philly sound. Me, too – BIG TIME! Hope your show went well. Here are a couple hot videos to keep your Philly groove flowing!

In Action – THE THREE DEGREES - "Take Good Care Of Yourself" [[Extended Remix, Submitted by Ruud Mixer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9PlchrigU [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9PlchrigU)

SONS OF ROBIN STONE - "Got To Get You Back" [[Extended Remix, Submitted by Ruud Mixer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVDG8HXBJk8 [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVDG8HXBJk8)

John, since you weren’t familiar with The O’Jays’ "Ship Ahoy" album, which is pretty mainstream Philly, I’m pleased to let you know that there are tons of rare 1970's Philly soul tracks which were recorded at Sigma Sound Studios, most of which are of equally high quality. If you ever have a question about ‘em, just let me know. I’ve got most of them in my CD collection, and I would be happy to fill you in. Hope you like the above videos. - Gary

Gary...thanks for posting the clips. I have seen them. But where did you get the idea that I wasn't familiar with "Ship Ahoy". Glen mentioned that he hadn't heard it before. I'm pretty familiar with Philly, if I do say so myself...having loved it from way back in the sixties. And I have a large collection. But thanks...I appreciate your generosity.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Gary...thanks for posting the clips. I have seen them. But where did you get the idea that I wasn't familiar with "Ship Ahoy". Glen mentioned that he hadn't heard it before. I'm pretty familiar with Philly, if I do say so myself...having loved it from way back in the sixties. And I have a large collection. But thanks...I appreciate your generosity.

You're very welcome, John. Any time. Oh, yeah, now I see -- you're right about The O'Jays. I read it wrong. At the bottom of your post above [[below the photo of the O'Jays' "Ship Ahoy" album cover), you said the words "Never heard it". Skimming quickly, and not having read the posts in order, I thought you were referring to yourself. Now I see that you were responding to somebody else who had never heard it. Just another senior moment here! Glad to hear you like the Sound Of Philly. They put out an incredible amount of really impressive stuff.

midnight johnny
02-11-2015, 10:43 AM
You're very welcome, John. Any time. Oh, yeah, now I see -- you're right about The O'Jays. I read it wrong. At the bottom of your post above [[below the photo of the O'Jays' "Ship Ahoy" album cover), you said the words "Never heard it". Skimming quickly, and not having read the posts in order, I thought you were referring to yourself. Now I see that you were responding to somebody else who had never heard it. Just another senior moment here! Glad to hear you like the Sound Of Philly. They put out an incredible amount of really impressive stuff.
Yeah, Gary....those senior moments...I know what you mean. And yeah.....no one loves Motown more than I, but the Philly...the gorgeous Philly hits me in a way Motown just doesn't.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Gary....those senior moments...I know what you mean. And yeah.....no one loves Motown more than I, but the Philly...the gorgeous Philly hits me in a way Motown just doesn't.
John, I know exactly what you mean, although I love Motown and The Philly Sound equally. Motown was my life during the 1960's, and The Philly Sound [[along with Motown) carried me through my adult life up to the present. Really, when you stop and think about it, the Philly sound was merely an updated extension of The Motown Sound – both symphonic-soul at its finest. The Philly Sound, I think, was even more elegant, and the instrumentation [[horns, strings, percussion) were more upfront in the mix. And, for a girl-group fanatic like me, the Sweethearts Of Sigma were my 1970's Andantes! Love their vocal blend to pieces!) But, gosh, whereas Motown was often times dark and brooding [[as in H-D-H’s later productions just before they left the MightyMo, and Norman Whitfields hard-biting late-’60s/early 70's productions, the Philly sound is soooo infectious and upbeat! [[Not lightweight, by any means; just upbeat and happy sounding!) The lyrics and the melodies were emotional and dramatic as ever – exactly how I love it! – yet upbeat, makin’ you feel good! A classic example, as I’m sure you know, is the Sons Of Robin Stone’s "Got To Get You Back", which I posted a link for last evening. The lyrics are pure heart-wrenching, as is the emotionally-laden melody [["I’ve paid by dues, I’ve cried my blues, now I know it’s you I love"), yet Bobbi Eli’s production made that song sing bright and happy – like a sparrow singin’ in the sun! It just made you wanna dance and sing along! I’ll have to look through my Philly Soul Playlist, where I have every Philly track that I own on CD listed on my word processor. I’ll see if I can come up with some rare titles recorded at Sigma Sound which you may – or may not – be familiar with. It would be cool if we could educate each other about some unknown Philly tracks in existence. I’m always up for a new musical experience whether it be Philles, Motown, or Philly Soul [[and even underground Classic Disco). - Gary

Mark Desjardines
02-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Philles/Motown Gary, your comments on the Motown and Philly Sound are bang on. Thank you for you analysis. I related to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes classic "Wake Up Everybody" which is even more relevant today than at the time of original release. I happened to see them in a small night club setting in Edmonton, Canada in 1979 and got a little teary eyed at the lyrics. The lead singer made a comment after the applause that "I see that this song has touched somebody in the audience." I don't know that the Temptations "Ball of Confusion" would have elicited the same response.

John, The remix version of Diana Ross' "The Boss" that you played to close off your show was amazing. Hope you are able to play it again!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Philles/Motown Gary, your comments on the Motown and Philly Sound are bang on. Thank you for you analysis. I related to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes classic "Wake Up Everybody" which is even more relevant today than at the time of original release. I happened to see them in a small night club setting in Edmonton, Canada in 1979 and got a little teary eyed at the lyrics. The lead singer made a comment after the applause that "I see that this song has touched somebody in the audience." I don't know that the Temptations "Ball of Confusion" would have elicited the same response.

John, The remix version of Diana Ross' "The Boss" that you played to close off your show was amazing. Hope you are able to play it again!

Thanks, Mark. Like Motown, The Philly Sound was hip-and-street, yet sweet as can be -- and so lush! Feverish tom-toms, timbales, and Don Renaldo's soaring Horns and Strings, coupled with MFSB and Vince Montana's unbeatable Vibes, just can't be beat. Combine it all with the exciting Philly songs, arrangements, and productions -- and The Sweethearts of Sigma -- and you got yourself a winning combination which, like Motown, is powerful and timeless!

How cool that you got to see Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes live in concert! Was Teddy Pendergrass still with them at that point? It takes a talented performer to bring tears to an audience's eyes. It sounds like Teddy -- or Harold Melvin himself -- had the audience in the palm of his hands -- right where they belong!

You're right, Mark. The message in "Wake Up Everybody" holds true to this day. Gamble & Huff, like Stevie Wonder, went through a phase of socially-conscious preaching on a number of their productions. The neat thing about it was that, the music is so good, you never feel like you're being preached to! The music was that strong! "Wake Up Everybody" is a great album. Because of the girl-group lover in me, my fave track is Sharon Paige's "Searching For A Love". It's a shame she never had a Philadelphia International album of her own. It would have been superb.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-12-2015, 05:48 PM

Mark, I just re-read your post and discovered that it wasn’t just the audience who Harold Melvin held in the palm of his hand that night; rather, it was – specifically – YOU! Wow! How impressive that he paid such close attention to his audience, that he could tell by the tears in your eyes that he had struck an emotional nerve. Very cool! I’ll bet you made his night -- just as he made yours!

Oh, also, I answered my own question. By 1979, Teddy Pendergress had long-since left Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, as Teddy’s first solo album was released in 1976. It must have been either Harold Melvin himself, or whomever replaced Teddy’s spot in the group, who sang "Wake Up Everybody" live that night.