PDA

View Full Version : Stop! Am I hearing something new?

test

marybrewster
02-10-2015, 11:03 AM
I just picked up a 2 cd set yesterday; "Motown 40".

A great collection; not your typical Motown compilation.

As I was listening to "Stop! In the Name of Love", I caught something I've never heard before; about 2 seconds in, as the instruments are building to "Stop!", I caught a faint "drumstick click"; you know, the noise when a drummer beats two drumsticks together [[I hope that makes sense, LOL).

For as many times as I've listened to the song on various CD's, I've never caught that. Was this an "alternate" version? Has that drumstick "click" been there all of these years, and I'm just hearing it for the first time? Has anyone else heard it, LOL.

antceleb12
02-10-2015, 11:27 AM
I just picked up a 2 cd set yesterday; "Motown 40".

A great collection; not your typical Motown compilation.

As I was listening to "Stop! In the Name of Love", I caught something I've never heard before; about 2 seconds in, as the instruments are building to "Stop!", I caught a faint "drumstick click"; you know, the noise when a drummer beats two drumsticks together [[I hope that makes sense, LOL).

For as many times as I've listened to the song on various CD's, I've never caught that. Was this an "alternate" version? Has that drumstick "click" been there all of these years, and I'm just hearing it for the first time? Has anyone else heard it, LOL.

I think I have heard something like that. I recall hearing something faint in the background.

Speaking of, if you listen to DMF's studio version of "People," I believe its right before Diana's verse that you can hear a page turn!

There are a few other Motown and non-Motown tracks I have heard these sorts of background noises.

thanxal
02-10-2015, 11:41 AM
The version of Penny Pincher on Vol.2 of the 25th Anniversary set has audible whispering and what sounds like someone smacking gum. Interestingly, both are absent on the WDOLG Expanded Edition version. So either they used a different take or Andy's [[George, Harry, Kevin, or who ever) excellent ears caught it and scrubbed it.

As for Stop!, the drum click is on Stereo versions of the song but not Mono versions. On closer listening: It is also possible that is a remnant of the hand claps that were in the original, non-Andantes, version of Stop! Listen to the three versions on the MHBTS Expanded Edition and see what you think.

Weslley Francisco
02-10-2015, 11:59 AM
On: The Only Time I'm Happy, from More Hits by The Supremes, you can hear something falling at the spoken intro...

thanxal
02-10-2015, 12:30 PM
On: The Only Time I'm Happy, from More Hits by The Supremes, you can hear something falling at the spoken intro...
An Andante?

marybrewster
02-10-2015, 12:38 PM
An Andante?

I am LOL! :)

marybrewster
02-10-2015, 12:39 PM
The version of Penny Pincher on Vol.2 of the 25th Anniversary set has audible whispering and what sounds like someone smacking gum. Interestingly, both are absent on the WDOLG Expanded Edition version. So either they used a different take or Andy's [[George, Harry, Kevin, or who ever) excellent ears caught it and scrubbed it.

As for Stop!, the drum click is on Stereo versions of the song but not Mono versions. On closer listening: It is also possible that is a remnant of the hand claps that were in the original, non-Andantes, version of Stop! Listen to the three versions on the MHBTS Expanded Edition and see what you think.

Thank you all; it's always fun to discover something new. Like I said, for as many times as I've heard the song, I've never caught that.

carlo
02-10-2015, 01:33 PM
I always thought I heard a phone ringing in the beginning intro strings of Someday We'll Be Together. :)

detmotownguy
02-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I always thought I heard a phone ringing in the beginning intro strings of Someday We'll Be Together. :)

That was Mary calling.

Methuselah2
02-10-2015, 05:40 PM
I've read that it was a drum stick that rolled and hit the floor that made the sound that was captured.

thanxal
02-10-2015, 06:28 PM
That was Mary calling.
She just called to say... No. I can't bring myself to do it. It's THAT cliche!