PDA

View Full Version : In and Out of Love

test

mysterysinger
02-08-2015, 09:26 PM
I expect this has been posted several times but you know this song is one of my absolute fave Supremes songs. It doesn't seem to get the recognition I think it deserves and is treated here in a very lightweight way by the girls themselves. At its heart is a very powerful melody with some lovely chords but Motown and H-D-H don't tend to get credit for that. By the way, another one for the collection of Supremes song errors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuNmuJs_Hz4

Weslley Francisco
02-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I love this song, i love this performance, i love The Supremes, but i hate these gowns...

antceleb12
02-08-2015, 10:25 PM
I have always LOVED this one. I totally agree. It is greatly underappreciated. I just wish we could hear a version without the Andantes, and with just Mary and Flo [[it was Flo, right?).

I love this song, i love this performance, i love The Supremes, but i hate these gowns...

You're absolutely right. They look like nightgowns...

BayouMotownMan
02-08-2015, 10:31 PM
It truly is one of my favs as well. I think it suffered from two things to diminish its potential. 1) It was recorded in LA, Funk Bros would have done more with the rhythm. 2). Radio programmers were beginning to react negatively to Diana's name being upfront.

hobocamp
02-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Same for me. While there are lots of Supremes songs that I've just gotten rather tired of over the years from so much repetition[[I'm talking to you, Baby Love), this is one I'll always love. Diana's bouncy performance in this Sullivan video is just great. And I always think of these gowns as the pajama party gowns, as if that's where they were going immediately after finishing the song.

stephanie
02-09-2015, 12:00 AM
There is a statement flying around for years that the dubbed the Andantes on top of the backgrounds because Florence sounded too flat. Is this true and if it is are they talking about the part that goes keep falling in and out of LOVE. The love part sounds funny to me like someone was not up to par even the Andantes dont sound like they are saving it. It doesnt sound like them on the background to me.

vgalindo
02-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Love this performance. I sure wish it was included on their Sullivan DVD.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Mysterysinger, I, too, have always loved "In And Out Of Love". Diana's performance is upbeat and right-on, and I LOVE The Andantes' back-up vocals. Their harmonies on this recording are a classic example of why I love The Andantes so much in the first place. Another Supremes' record that seems to get unfairly criticized is "The Composer". I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Diana's vocals are especially sweet and lilting, and The Andantes' harmonies are gorgeous on that record. Smokey did an impressive production with the girls, yet nobody seems to like it but me. Oh, well, what can I say?

I think the reason it appears that Mary and Cindy treat their performance so lightly in the above video is the uncomfortable choreography. Those criss-crossing hand movements are too herky-jerky and require too much action to keep up with the fast tempo of the song. Instead of sexy and elegant, the choreography comes off as stiff and cutesy. In my opinion, unchacteristically, it's not one of Cholly Atkins' finer routines [[bless his heart).

jack020
02-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Another performance of this song from 1968:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-nlr9Pgne1c

supremester
02-09-2015, 11:38 AM
I didn't know this was recorded in LA - that explains a lot. I "like" this record, but I'm not crazy for it. I love The Andantes but I miss Flo & Mary on it. Mary sounds so good on this live. After 5 smashes in a row, this one to me is kind of an ugly duckling.

marybrewster
02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Another performance of this song from 1968:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-nlr9Pgne1c

I've LOVE this performance. The Supremes are just TOO fabulous here.

sup_fan
02-09-2015, 11:57 AM
yeah this song just has never really "hit" for me. i don't hate it but the bouncy rhythm just isn't for me. same with Love Is Here. i do think if it had been done in Detroit with the Funk Bros, it would have been stronger. the live performance is a bit better. more strings.

also Reflections with such a hot single and a new, groundbreaking sound. to use this song as the follow up is disappointing. i wonder if Bah Bah Bah might have been a better follow up. or another track from the LP

reese
02-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I've LOVE this performance. The Supremes are just TOO fabulous here.

Was this Cindy's first television appearance?

I think there's a thread here that actually has a photo taken at Cindy's first tv appearance with the group. I recall it being a local show. Before this Sullivan appearance, she had also appeared with them on the Hollywood Palace and maybe American Bandstand.

REDHOT
02-09-2015, 12:42 PM
I didn't like In And Out Of Love ,until i saw this performance,i fell n love with it,every time they do it live,i think the ladies look great,you're right Reese,Cindy's first performance on tv,was on The Hollywood Palace.

supremester
02-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Are you nuts? I thot I was the only one to publicly ponder the viability of Bah Bah Bah as a follow up to Reflections. When I did, no comments followed. DR&TS were SO hot at the time, that a middling song like In & Out Of Love could zip into the top ten for a very brief visit. Any of the failed singles they put out would have done similarly. In & Out is a fine record, but not the same calibre is all. Bah Bah Bah is far from a radio friendly record, and is slower than say, Sunshine Superman or the like - but, it was very very in for the time. It may have caught on. It's SUCH a departure - could they play it on Dick Clark? Do it on Ed Sullivan? Put it in the hits medley after Come See About Me - all speeded up?

yeah this song just has never really "hit" for me. i don't hate it but the bouncy rhythm just isn't for me. same with Love Is Here. i do think if it had been done in Detroit with the Funk Bros, it would have been stronger. the live performance is a bit better. more strings.

also Reflections with such a hot single and a new, groundbreaking sound. to use this song as the follow up is disappointing. i wonder if Bah Bah Bah might have been a better follow up. or another track from the LP

Mark Desjardines
02-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I think you're on to something supremester, about "Bah Bah Bah" having a shot at being a possible follow up to 'Reflections." Written by Patrice and Brenda Holloway, this song fit in very well to the dark and moody vibe on side one of the 'Refections" album. I always felt that this album could have been a "concept album" if the songs on side two were more in the same vein. H-D-H had recently departed and i think they would have would have taken The Supremes to wonderful new places. "Forever Came Today " is a masterpiece that was way before it's time. When the Temptations "Cloud Nine" album was released, only side one went all out in the new musical direction, as if Berry Gordy was testing the waters before letting Norman Whitfield go flat out. I've heard that somewhere in the Motown vaults there may exist a demo by the Patrice sisters of their composition. That would be a real bonus if the Reflections album gets an expanded edition.

rovereab
02-09-2015, 03:54 PM
My choice as the follow up would have been either Bah Bah Bah or, for a link to the past but with some electronic sounds, I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You).

Philles/Motown Gary
02-09-2015, 04:15 PM
The pacing of the three released singles from the "Reflections" LP were perfectly paced. The first to follow the previous uptempo "The Happenig" was the slow/mid-tempo "Reflections", followed by the delightfully-uptempo "In And Out Of Love", which was then followed by the slow and intense "Forever Came Today". [[I love all three, although the mid-section bridge of "Forever...." sounded strangely unfinished with that one chord repeated over and over and over. Still love it, though.) If you want to squeeze another hit single from the "Reflections" album, I would highly recommend "I Can't Make It Alone". That song is so pretty and so divinely H-D-H. And Diana does a great job conveying the emotionally-dramatic lyrics.

[I can't make it alone
I need your love to call my own
I can't run, I can't hide from this love that's inside
All that I long to do is spend my life loving you
Every minute, every hour -- always!]

YEAH! Exactly the musically-romantic passion that Motown and Diana Ross were famous for with a gorgeous melody to match! I really believe it would have been a hit.

bradsupremes
02-09-2015, 06:33 PM
For those of you wondering, there is an unused Funk Brothers track for "In And Out Of Love" currently in the Motown vaults. It was cut in the same session that produced "The Happening" and "Reflections."

carole cucumber
02-09-2015, 07:22 PM
For those of you wondering, there is an unused Funk Brothers track for "In And Out Of Love" currently in the Motown vaults. It was cut in the same session that produced "The Happening" and "Reflections."

Have you heard it? Can you tell us about it.. how it is similar to/how it differs from the released version's band track?

marybrewster
02-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Diana/Mary/Cindy looked much more "glam" for their performances of "Reflections"; but again, they are just too fabulous here. Cindy is just so damn PRETTY, and Mary, well, hello.

I've never looked at these dresses as pajamas, LOL, more as just a repeat of another dud:

sup_fan
02-10-2015, 06:41 PM
I agree Bah Bah might have been a stretch. and i think i remember reading that Bah wasn't the initial title of the song. there's an obscure Motown book just on the Motown ladies. Brenda talks a bit about it and perhaps with a more commercial title it might have worked. but might now have

I can't Make It Alone is a good song but IMO too much of a Reflections copy cat. but then again that was typical of motown to closely resemble the previous song.

i've made up my own playlist for an alternative Reflections lp. my attempt at doing a concept lp. and cutting most of the filler junk on side 2. i used the various cd booklets to see what other tracks were already completed by the time the lp was released. so potentially all of these could have been used

Reflections
I'm Gonne Make it
I Can't Make It Along
In and Out Of Love
Can't Shake it Loose
Ode To Billie Joe

Forever Came Today
It's Going all the Way
Am I asking too much
Misery Makes its Home In My Heart
A Little Breeze
Bah Bah Bah

theboyfromxtown
02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I agree Bah Bah might have been a stretch. and i think i remember reading that Bah wasn't the initial title of the song. there's an obscure Motown book just on the Motown ladies. Brenda talks a bit about it and perhaps with a more commercial title it might have worked. but might now have

I can't Make It Alone is a good song but IMO too much of a Reflections copy cat. but then again that was typical of motown to closely resemble the previous song.

i've made up my own playlist for an alternative Reflections lp. my attempt at doing a concept lp. and cutting most of the filler junk on side 2. i used the various cd booklets to see what other tracks were already completed by the time the lp was released. so potentially all of these could have been used

Reflections
I'm Gonne Make it
I Can't Make It Along
In and Out Of Love
Can't Shake it Loose
Ode To Billie Joe

Forever Came Today
It's Going all the Way
Am I asking too much
Misery Makes its Home In My Heart
A Little Breeze
Bah Bah Bah

I've seen Bah Bah Bah listed by another title too as "You Don't Hold Me In Your Arms [[They Way You Did). It was in an article about Brenda Holloway who co-wrote the track with her sister Patrice.

jobeterob
02-10-2015, 08:14 PM
When one of my sons was about 8, I caught him singing Ode To Billie Joe after hearing it on this cassette [[at the time). So that is one indication of what appealed to a certain crowd.

I can't right off the top of my head remember what Bah Bah Bah sounds like but I'll have to go You Tubing.

theboyfromxtown
02-10-2015, 08:24 PM
When one of my sons was about 8, I caught him singing Ode To Billie Joe after hearing it on this cassette [[at the time). So that is one indication of what appealed to a certain crowd.

I can't right off the top of my head remember what Bah Bah Bah sounds like but I'll have to go You Tubing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUS6c4Gddg

carole cucumber
02-10-2015, 10:21 PM
I've seen Bah Bah Bah listed by another title too as "You Don't Hold Me In Your Arms [[They Way You Did). It was in an article about Brenda Holloway who co-wrote the track with her sister Patrice.

That fact/title was also mentioned in Peter Benjaminson's "The Story of Motown" [[1979)

johnjeb
02-10-2015, 10:45 PM
I liked this performance of IAOOL. The gowns are flattering but maybe a pastel shade under the sheer top would have been more eye-catching.

I'm surprised and glad to see so many liking Bah-Bah-Bah. I loved it from the start and also thought it would have been an interesting follow-up to Reflections. However DFTMC states it wasn't completed until January 1968 and IAOOL was released in October 1967. I rarely play IAOOL and FCT, but BBB is always in heavy rotation.

For those that don't like The Supremes' version -

Barbara Randolph 1969:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzb0E8hsns

Suzee Ikeda 1971:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1o_-m4aI8

I prefer The Supremes' version.

Bokiluis
02-10-2015, 10:58 PM
"Bah-Bah-Bah" is an all time favorite......definitely my favorite album cut from "Reflections". It was crying out for a better title, however, because the mere mention of the title raised ridicule. But i love the dark sadness that permeates this record.

reese
02-11-2015, 12:06 AM

In Peter Benajminson's book THE STORY OF MOTOWN, he wrote that the original title was YOU DON'T HOLD ME IN YOUR ARMS THE WAY YOU DID. But it was changed because the background vocals were so loud and sounded like BAH-BAH-BAH.

For years, I wondered how strange this must sound. When I finally bought a copy of the REFLECTIONS album, I was surprised to find that the line YOU DON"T HOLD ME IN YOUR ARMS... is only sung once in the entire song, and that the BAH-BAH-BAH sounds like it was done on purpose.

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2015, 04:59 AM
I agree Reese

It is generally the case that alternate working titles are noted in a song's history card but that longer title wasn't noted in this case. Maybe it was Brenda and Patrice that used that title long before it was presented to Motown and passed on that information when interviewed.

jobucats
02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
johnjeb wrote: "For those that don't like The Supremes' version -

Barbara Randolph 1969:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzb0E8hsns"

johnjeb, I don't like, but I love Barbara Randolph's version better than the Supremes' version. Did I just say this being that I am a die-hard Supremes fan? Her version seems so radio friendly. Thanks for sharing.

thommg
02-11-2015, 01:13 PM
The interesting thing, to me, about Bah Bah Bah was that it didn't have a chorus. Except for the background "bah bah bah bah bah", there are no real repeats of the lyric. It wasan odd song and that's why I always loved it. It just tells its story without any fuss. I thought it was a beautiful trackAnd they should have gone with the original title and not Bah Bah Bah. That and Diana's Doobedood'ndoobe, Doobedood'ndoobe, Doobedood'ndoo, screamed for a better title.

ejluther
02-11-2015, 02:08 PM
By the way, another one for the collection of Supremes song errors.
How so? It's nice to talk about the REFLECTIONS LP - it really holds nicely together as a whole package for me in way that their LPs didn't always do. I also think LOVE CHILD feels nicely cohesive...

marybrewster
02-11-2015, 03:10 PM
How so? It's nice to talk about the REFLECTIONS LP - it really holds nicely together as a whole package for me in way that their LPs didn't always do. I also think LOVE CHILD feels nicely cohesive...

One thing interesting about the "Reflections" LP:

The single "Reflections" was released on July 24, 1967.
"In and Out of Love" was released October 25, 1967.
"Forever Came Today" was released February 29, 1968.

The LP "Reflections" was released on March 25, 1968. Basically 9 months after it's lead single.

When you look at other lead singles, versus LP releases:

"Stop!" was released in February, 1965; "More Hits" was released in July, 1965. [[5 months)

"Symphony" was released in October, 1965; "Symphony" LP was released in February, 1966. [[4 months)

"Itching" was released in April, 1966; "A Go Go" was released in August, 1966. [[4 months)

"Hangin' On" was released in October, 1966; "Sing HDH" was released in January, 1967 [[3 months)

Even "Some Things" was released in May, 1968; "Love Child" was released in November, 1968. [[6 months)

Why did it take so long for the "Reflections" LP to be released? Was it because of Flo leaving? Was it because of HDH leaving? For all intent, the single "Reflections" was basically a year old by the time the LP was released. While the single was a smash at #2, I wonder if renaming the LP, perhaps to something more "current" like, "Forever Came Today" would have helped boost sales of the single, and perhaps warrant a fourth single.

sup_fan
02-11-2015, 03:43 PM
that's a very valid point Mary. i think part of the delay was the release of Greatest Hits which was a monster seller. and Reflections was nearly included on that set too. i think they opted to use it for the LP title since it was such a bit seller. it spent 11 weeks on the Top 100 and also reached #1 on Cashbox. after In and Out did so-so i think they wanted to really get the lp to sell.

Also they may or may not have known Forever would be the 3rd single since production lead-times for the lp may have required them to already commit to the art, title, etc.

reese
02-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Why did it take so long for the "Reflections" LP to be released? Was it because of Flo leaving? Was it because of HDH leaving? For all intent, the single "Reflections" was basically a year old by the time the LP was released. While the single was a smash at #2, I wonder if renaming the LP, perhaps to something more "current" like, "Forever Came Today" would have helped boost sales of the single, and perhaps warrant a fourth single.

The REFLECTIONS album was probably released so late because the GREATEST HITS album had been released in August 1967 [[after the REFLECTIONS single) and was doing extremely well. I think REFLECTIONS was originally slated to be on GREATEST HITS but was replaced at the last minute.

More than likely, they went with the REFLECTIONS for the title of the album because it was the biggest single of the three. FOREVER CAME TODAY was their least successful single in years so they weren't going to go with that as the title.

It is sort of like what happened with the Vandellas and DANCING IN THE STREET. It was released in the summer of 1964 and was such a big hit that you would have thought that an album would have been rushed out with that title. But it wasn't and the eventual album was slated to be titled WILD ONE after the next single, which was released in the fall of 1964. That single only did moderately well. By the time an album was finally released [[in April 1965), the album title was changed to DANCE PARTY.

Methuselah2
02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
I think there's a thread here that actually has a photo taken at Cindy's first tv appearance with the group. I recall it being a local show.

From the thread Reese mentioned:

August, 1967:
SUMMERTIME ON THE PIER WITH ED HURST
[[at Steel Pier in Atlantic City, New Jersey; televised in Philadelphia)

http://soulfuldetroit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6662&d=1368662508

Philles/Motown Gary
02-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Methuselah2, we should declare you our official Motown Photo Librarian. You always manage to come up with the neatest, rarest of photos!

Regarding the photo of Cindy's first public performance with The Supremes, I wonder why the girls performed in street clothes? You would think that, with a new Supreme member on board, Motown would have wanted to keep things as consistent and normal as possible so as to not draw attention to the fact that there was a change in the group lineup. The Supremes performing without their usual stage gowns stuck out like a sore thumb -- screaming that something was drastically different about the girls.

reese
02-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Methuselah2, we should declare you our official Motown Photo Librarian. You always manage to come up with the neatest, rarest of photos!

Regarding the photo of Cindy's first public performance with The Supremes, I wonder why the girls performed in street clothes? You would think that, with a new Supreme member on board, Motown would have wanted to keep things as consistent and normal as possible so as to not draw attention to the fact that there was a change in the group lineup. The Supremes performing without their usual stage gowns stuck out like a sore thumb -- screaming that something was drastically different about the girls.

Looking at the title of the show and the girls' attire, it might have been an afternoon outdoor show, and as such, the girls would have been severely overdressed wearing their stagewear. Just a thought.

BigAl
02-12-2015, 10:26 AM
I've never been all that fond of "In and Out of Love" and "Forever Came Today." Both seem to be missing an edge. I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall that neither song was written expressly for DRATS and the numbers were pulled from a backlogged bunch of HDH songs when HDH were basically "working to the contract" prior to their exit from Hitsville. Both songs sound to me as though both HDH and DRATS are kind of "walking" through them, not investing a lot of heart or energy into them. The Andantes do a satisfactory job of augmenting the backgrounds but still, to me, the songs sort of miss the mark.

soulballad
02-12-2015, 11:40 AM
I never liked "In and Out Of Love" either. Maybe if it was reworked and included the Funks and Flo and Mary it might have had more spark. Forever came today was good but I knew something was funny. At that point I did not know what Cindy sounded like and I was like oh wow the Supremes added a tenor voiced singer. Later on after listening to The return of the later Vandellas and Marvelettes albums it begin to made sense. The thing is there was so much product coming out at the same time and unless you were buying every single thing , it was difficult to compare. It was easy to bamboozle the public.

blackguy69
02-12-2015, 12:16 PM
I never liked "In and Out Of Love" either. Maybe if it was reworked and included the Funks and Flo and Mary it might have had more spark. Forever came today was good but I knew something was funny. At that point I did not know what Cindy sounded like and I was like oh wow the Supremes added a tenor voiced singer. Later on after listening to The return of the later Vandellas and Marvelettes albums it begin to made sense. The thing is there was so much product coming out at the same time and unless you were buying every single thing , it was difficult to compare. It was easy to bamboozle the public.
maybe the andantes vocals on in and out of love could've been toned down so mary and flo's vocals shine more.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Looking at the title of the show and the girls' attire, it might have been an afternoon outdoor show, and as such, the girls would have been severely overdressed wearing their stagewear. Just a thought.

Good point, Reese. You're probably right, although I think it would have helped if their outfits had at least matched.

bradsupremes
02-12-2015, 03:25 PM
"In And Out Of Love" was always intended for the Supremes, I believe. "Forever Came Today" was assigned to the Miracles first before getting reassigned to the Supremes. I believe it was one of the tracks pulled from the vaults after HDH left to receive vocals. R. Dean Taylor oversaw the vocal sessions like he did for the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World."

detmotownguy
02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Ban Bah Bah is a struggle to listen to. Just kinda boring; just kinda drags along. I think Diane does what she can with the song.

johnjeb
02-12-2015, 03:56 PM

I saw The Supremes in 1967, just after Cindy joined the group, at an evening show at a summer theater in-the round. They were appearing with The Temptations.

On opening night they wore black tuxedos. I was disappointed in the attire for a few reasons. I had only seen them once before [[they wore the HDH gowns) so not seeing them in gowns was disappointing and surprising since they were appearing with a male group as the opening act, who also wore tuxedos.

In 1969 I saw them at the same theater. One of the evenings I went they wore street clothes. Opening night and closing night they wore their gowns.

To reese's point it seems they would dress-down for afternoon shows and also for some informal theaters. I often heard that when performers wore street clothes to perform or for other professional appearances it could possibly be used for a tax write-off!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Ban Bah Bah is a struggle to listen to. Just kinda boring; just kinda drags along. I think Diane does what she can with the song.

I know what you mean, demotown guy. The song does get better once it gets into it, yet "Bah Bah Bah" is not one of my favorite Motown tracks, and I know it’s partly psychological because of the song’s unconventional title, although Diana does do a great lead vocal on it. Just to show you how misleading a song’s title can be, and how it can make or break it as a likeable track.... When I first bought the "Reflections" LP and was glancing over the track list and discovered the title "Bah Bah Bah", I thought, "Now why in hell would Motown have The Supremes do a song about sheep? It’s gotta be ridiculous!" Of course, as it turned out, the lyrics have nothing to do with sheep, but... "Bah Bah Bah"? A revised titled would have been much more appropriate.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-12-2015, 05:31 PM
I saw The Supremes in 1967, just after Cindy joined the group, at an evening show at a summer theater in-the round. They were appearing with The Temptations.

On opening night they wore black tuxedos. I was disappointed in the attire for a few reasons. I had only seen them once before [[they wore the HDH gowns) so not seeing them in gowns was disappointing and surprising since they were appearing with a male group as the opening act, who also wore tuxedos.

In 1969 I saw them at the same theater. One of the evenings I went they wore street clothes. Opening night and closing night they wore their gowns.

To reese's point it seems they would dress-down for afternoon shows and also for some informal theaters. I often heard that when performers wore street clothes to perform or for other professional appearances it could possibly be used for a tax write-off!!!

Johnjeb, I’m with you. If I had attended a Diana Ross & The Supremes’ concert, I, too, would have been super-disappointed if they had worn anything but their signature gowns. [[I never liked seeing DR&TS, nor even The [[New) Supremes, dressed in pant suits. To me, it cheapened their image, no matter how expensive or glittery the material may be.) Had they performed on stage in unmatching street clothes, my first immediate thought would have been that their luggage had gotten lost and they had nothing else to wear. Either way, I would have felt dissappointed and gypped, for sure.

Methuselah2
02-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Gary - SUMMERTIME AT THE PIER WITH ED HURST was a weekend show that was televised only on weekends during the summer months. It was an early afternoon show that was mainly a dance program with a huge group of kids dancing up a storm. Very casual, a lot of fun, a great host--Ed Hurst, and celebrities stopping by to say hello. The Supremes were actually dressed just right--although I always thought it would have been a real hoot if The Supremes showed up in their everyday casual attire--with those clothes covered in sequins! Would have been a funny visual joke, I think. [[The closest it ever came to that was a Ross family video made for Oprah several years back--with Diana shown making breakfast in her robe and hair curlers but as soon as she discovers she's being videotaped and that her kids are all dressed nicely, she changes into a very ornate gown. Wonderful video.)

Philles/Motown Gary
02-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Gary - SUMMERTIME AT THE PIER WITH ED HURST was a weekend show that was televised only on weekends during the summer months. It was an early afternoon show that was mainly a dance program with a huge group of kids dancing up a storm. Very casual, a lot of fun, a great host--Ed Hurst, and celebrities stopping by to say hello. The Supremes were actually dressed just right--although I always thought it would have been a real hoot if The Supremes showed up in their everyday casual attire--with those clothes covered in sequins! Would have been a funny visual joke, I think. [[The closest it ever came to that was a Ross family video made for Oprah several years back--with Diana shown making breakfast in her robe and hair curlers but as soon as she discovers she's being videotaped and that her kids are all dressed nicely, she changes into a very ornate gown. Wonderful video.)
Oh, I see, Methuselah2. "Summertime At The Pier" sounds a lot like Dick Clark’s "Where The Action Is" from the mid-1960's, which, if I recall, was also filmed on location. [[Kinda like "American Bandstand" meets the great outdoors!)

Diana’s candid curler-and-robe video sounds like a hoot! I can just see her big wide eyes at the moment she realizes she’s being filmed! Thanks for sharing that neat story!

Methuselah2
02-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Gary - The Ross family video starts in the following link at about 14:10 on the timer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBQfwaARxc

and continues into this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JxxY8D4cU&app=desktop

Philles/Motown Gary
02-13-2015, 02:10 AM
Gary - The Ross family video starts in the following link at about 14:10 on the timer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBQfwaARxc

and continues into this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JxxY8D4cU&app=desktop

Hey, thanks, Methuselah2. You've done it again! Your photo and video recommendations always manage to impress me and leave me feelin' good. I watched both of the above Oprah video links in their entirety and they're no exception! Gosh, what a neat, well-rounded, and functional family Diana has! Every member is someone I could easily get to know. Of course, I just love Tracey. She's so delightfully outgoing and personable. No doubt about it -- Diana is a good mom. And, best of all, she looks just as bad and unflattering as the rest of us first thing in the morning! Thanks again for this super-neat video. - Gary