PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & The Supremes sing Motown 1985 release

test

soulstevie
11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I recently bought this LP containing twelve classics recorded by Diana, Mary, Flo & Cindy. The jacket doesenīt indicate when these tracks were recorded. But I was surprised how much I enjoyed these takes on familiar songs suchs as "Money", "With a childīs heart", "Get ready", "This old heart of mine" [[my two favourites), "Do you love me" or "What becomes of the brokenhearted".

Now hereīs the question: While searching the net I found information that this LP was expanded to 24 cuts and released on CD in 2004. I never heard about that and looking at the pictures, especially of the back cover, I have my doubts. No Motown logo, no fine print. Is this CD a legitimate release? Or have these tracks been released on any other Supremes compilation?

Thanks!

reese
11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm almost sure that the cd is a bootleg.

Some of the tracks that weren't included on the 1985 release came from the girls' original UK album SUPREMES SING MOTOWN [[aka SING HDH in the US), other studio albums, as well as the 25TH ANNIVERSARY and NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS collections.

soulstevie
11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
but have any of the original tracks been released on CD?

marybrewster
11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi soulstevie-

I think this was discussed once before. I am almost certain that this is a bootleg.

This LP was one of my first Supremes purchases. I picked it up at the mall [[remember when malls had record stores?) and couldn't wait to get home to play it.

This looks like a "dream release"; I'd love to have an expanded edition of "Sing Motown".

marybrewster
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
but have any of the original tracks been released on CD?

A quick look at the track listing, I believe almost all [[if not all) have been released on various cd's.

soulstevie
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
hi Mary,

I fear thereīs almost nothing about the supremes that wasnīt discussed here before :-). Since I live in Germany I only know malls in recent years with boring electronic market chains.

I agree, it would be a good idea to turn this boot into the real thing and collect all the supremes recordings of Motown classics.

reese
11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I think that FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE is the only song that has not yet been released on cd.

soulstevie
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
lol@myself. after searching for a little while i found out i didnīt have to buy the LP, i already own all the tracks ....

nomis
11-23-2010, 07:16 PM
This release has to be later than 85 as Just A little Misunderstanding didnt debut until late 86 on 25th Anniversary..it seems like a bootleg to me but I doubt they would have got hold of that track to add to it before Motown released it so it must have come out in 86 earliest..

soulstevie
11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
When you search the net you find that this CD was supposedly released in 2004.

robbert
11-24-2010, 10:23 PM
FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE is indicated with an asterix, supposedly being a Diana Ross solo track!

reese
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE is indicated with an asterix, supposedly being a Diana Ross solo track!

It was originally released on the 1983 compilation MOTOWN SUPERSTARS SING MOTOWN SUPERSTARS.