PDA

View Full Version : Where Did Our Note Go?

test

mysterysinger
02-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Who was the main guitarist on the introduction to "Someday We'll Be Together" and what happened to the missing note at the 6th C sharp?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Just a guess, mysterysinger. Might it be Robert White, Marv Tarplin, or Dennis Coffey?

hobocamp
02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Good ear! I never noticed that, but you're right. The 6th c# is dropped, but then it's back for what would be the 7th.

jobucats
02-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Yes, mystery singer, you caught a good one. Now, one of those irritating blunders for me is in the Supremes' "Everything is Good About You." There is a vibraphone playing a little riff just after each phrase Diana sings. Each riff ends on a note one half step higher than the previous riff's last note. It doesn't follow this pattern, however, after her phrase, "like a shining star." I cringe every time I hear this mistake. It's very obvious in every mix I've heard except one.

hobocamp
02-07-2015, 11:30 PM
That's another good one jobucats. I've always noticed that as well. The riff is played the same way in the intro. Based on the pattern that comes before it, that 'missed' note should have been a G, but instead both an F and G are played, almost like the F is a grace note going up into the G. I think after the intro and that first time at the verse, it's played straight [[without the "grace note") for the rest of the song.

jobucats
02-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Hey, hobocamp, your response actually clarified and corrected something in my post. I said that "one half step higher than the previous riff's last note," which was my error. The first ending note is "E", the second is "F" [[1/2 step), and the third should be "G" [[1 whole step). I didn't listen in terms of the F to G being like a grace note to the G....you made an excellent point. Was the way it was played intentional, I think not. I think it's less obvious on the mixes that don't have lots of reverb.

BayouMotownMan
02-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Listen to the stereo version of The Only Time I'm Happy. On the final chorus someone, sounds like Flo, hits a bad note on the word "time."

stephanie
02-09-2015, 02:37 AM
Also at the end of that song The Only Time Im Happy you only hear Flo singing ...happens to my heart and no Mary ,,,its weird Im shocked that vocal you speak of Bayou got past quality control.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-09-2015, 04:33 AM
And what about the sax squeak on the instrumental break of The Supremes "There's No Stopping Us Now"? That sucker sticks out like a sore thumb! I've never understood how it made it past quality control in that condition, as Motown's standards were always consistently high.

mysterysinger
02-20-2015, 03:46 PM
There appears to be some very low talking during the intro to Diana Ross' "Remember Me". Just after the start. Headphone leak maybe?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Listen to the stereo version of The Only Time I'm Happy. On the final chorus someone, sounds like Flo, hits a bad note on the word "time."

Bayoumotownman, I know that note you're referring to, but I never considered it a mistake. I thought they purposely sang that note to make it more emotional and to bring the final chorus home.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Who was the main guitarist on the introduction to "Someday We'll Be Together" and what happened to the missing note at the 6th C sharp?

Mysterysinger, you never told us who was playing those opening guitar notes. - Gary

honest man
02-26-2015, 05:09 PM
I could not imagine hearing the song with mistake took out,it has become a big part of my motown faves,cheers.