PDA

View Full Version : Diana Wows Them Tonight in Virginia!

test

daviddesper
02-06-2015, 01:32 AM
I told you folks I would try to give at least an amateurish review of tonight's show in Charlottesville, so I will now attempt just that. As I had mentioned before in my advance posts, this was at a rather small theater that I was told seats about 1,000. [[I asked an usher.)

The show did completely sell out and if the crowd reaction was any indication, I think she could sell the place out for another dozen shows if she had the time. Also I am not sure if it is typical for the audience to stand more than they sit at a Diana show, but this group was up and down constantly and dancing in every available square inch of the place.

I had never seen Diana so I was not sure what my expectations were, but I would say she exceeded them on every level. First of all, she looked sensational. As someone had mentioned, there were four costume changes and she looked dazzling in them all and moved energetically across the stage during every song.

Vocally I found her to be in great form. Yes, the band can overwhelm a singer in a concert setting and yes it is easy to overlook the value of the supporting singers, but you could tell tonight that she's still got it. In fact there were several places where her solo parts were quite strong.

From one person's post, I gathered that the material doesn't change much from show to show. So we started out with My World is Empty Without You and moved through half a dozen other Supremes hits.

Next she focused on some of her own monster hits [[The Boss, Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, to name a few.) She touched on Billie Holliday as if there would be a larger segment devoted to it, but instead she sang only Don't Explain.

Throughout the show, she acknowledged the audience frequently, either with comments about how good we were or through gestures that fit within the context of the songs. I realize every artist is supposed to make the audience feel good about themselves, but she really did seem sincere about it. A few lucky folks up front got to shake hands toward the end of the show, which closed by the way with regular and encore versions of I Will Survive, which I presume that her other shows do as well.

She introduced everyone in the band at one point or another during the show and they were indeed amazing. She has an incredible horn section for one thing and her percussionist has to be one of the hardest working men in show business! At one point while she was changing clothes, her background singers [[I believe they are called "The Voices") took over on Ease On Down the Road, and got the crowd REALLY riled up.

If I had to find a criticism with the show, and it is a small one, it is that I was hoping that she would interact with the audience on a more personal, or local, level. For example, she never once said "Hello Virginia!" or "What a beautiful theater you have here" or anything of that nature that would make the audience feel as if she was really happy to be specifically there, as opposed to it being just another stop on the tour.

As I said, she did graciously acknowledge the audience at various times during the show, but other artists that I have seen in this particular venue did take time to personalize it to some degree and talk about their [[actual true) ties to the area. So maybe in Diana's case, she just couldn't think of anything to say. So like I said, a small criticism, but she never really talked to us, other than just a sentence or two here and there that was part of a song, or led directly into one.

Am I making any sense with that? Sometimes you want to hear a singer just "talk" to you at least a little bit instead of singing to you for the entire show.

But all in all a wonderful show and probably the biggest name this theater has ever booked. I have seen Dionne there, Bettye Lavette and Booker T sharing a show, Broadway stars Linda Eder and Michael Feinstein together, and comedians Lily Tomlin and Vickie Lawrence on separate nights. Johnny Mathis was slated to appear one night a few years ago but the show got canceled and to my knowledge was never re-scheduled.

But no one ever as big as Miss Ross, and I am glad I was able to see her! If you ever have the chance yourselves anywhere at all, by all means take it!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Thanks for such a thorough and far-better-than-amateurish review, David. I saw Diana perform live last summer and she was fantastic! In fact, your well-thought-out review brought back memories as though her show which I attended were only yesterday. You're absolutely right -- her horn section and back-up singers made the show extra exciting! I'm wondering, did Diana receive a standing ovation at the end of her performance? The night I saw her in Canandaigua, NY, last June, Diana and her entire band left the stage and returned THREE TIMES for the roaring crowd, performing an additional number each time. The audience was still cheering and applauding for a 4th encore but three was the limit. I guess Diana had to draw the line, or she would have never gotten out of there that night! Anyway, glad to hear that you enjoyed the show, David. Thanks for sharing your special night with us. - Gary

RobertZ
02-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Glad it was such a great event for you! It was fun reading a first-timer's view. Ms. Ross is a wonder! FYI, Diana has never been too much of a "talker"; I've seen her many times [[even being lucky enough to see a show in Diana's first solo tour at the Waldorf in NYC!) and that's just not her way. Best to you, and thanks for the post!

milven
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM
That was a wonderful review and far from amateurish. It was nice to read a review from fresh eyes. She does put on an amazing show. She does not talk much during her show but always acknowledges her audience, appreciates them and usually asks to turn up the lights so that she can see our faces. She seldom mentions the venue or the town that she is in. That would be a good addition to her show. The last time that I saw Diana, the audience did stand up during much of the show

I saw Diana at the Empire Room in the Waldorf too when she first went solo. Also, at the Eden Rock in Miami. She did her costume changes on stage behind a little curtain.

Thanks for your review.

RobertZ
02-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks for such a thorough and far-better-than-amateurish review, David. I saw Diana perform live last summer and she was fantastic! In fact, your well-thought-out review brought back memories as though her show which I attended were only yesterday. You're absolutely right -- her horn section and back-up singers made the show extra exciting! I'm wondering, did Diana receive a standing ovation at the end of her performance? The night I saw her in Canandaigua, NY, last June, Diana and her entire band left the stage and returned THREE TIMES for the roaring crowd, performing an additional number each time. The audience was still cheering and applauding for a 4th encore but three was the limit. I guess Diana had to draw the line, or she would have never gotten out of there that night! Anyway, glad to hear that you enjoyed the show, David. Thanks for sharing your special night with us. - Gary

I'm envious! 2 encores is the max I've seen! Sounds like a great show -

Methuselah2
02-06-2015, 12:56 PM
A wonderful read from start to finish, David. Many, many thanks.

daviddesper
02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
A friend who attended the concert reminded me of something that happened at the very end that I had forgotten to mention so I thought I would bring it up on here.

As the show was winding down and she was shaking hands along the apron of the stage, someone handed her a very small box, about the size that a corsage would come in. At first I thought it was one.

But she opened it and it was a cupcake. At first she put it to her mouth and pretended to take a bite and then as the very last gesture she made before leaving the stage for good, she actually did take a bite out of it.

I didn't think anything about it but my friend brought up the very intelligent point about how risky it would be for any celebrity to take an item of food from a stranger in the audience. He wondered if maybe it was a part of the act and that it was one of her people that gave it to her.

Any thoughts on that? Ever seen that happen before at a show, hers or anyone else's?

milven
02-07-2015, 01:46 PM
If it is part of the act, it is something new. But I doubt that it is I agree with you that it is risky to eat something given to her by a stranger in the audience. And even more dangerous for DIana from what I read on these boards. She does have detractors and if they are anything like the one that we have on this board, I would consider what she did extremely dangerous.

skooldem1
02-07-2015, 01:51 PM
It could have been somebody from a bakery that she likes in the area. You never know.

Crystaledwards
02-07-2015, 02:40 PM
If it is part of the act, it is something new. But I doubt that it is I agree with you that it is risky to eat something given to her by a stranger in the audience. And even more dangerous for DIana from what I read on these boards. She does have detractors and if they are anything like the one that we have on this board, I would consider what she did extremely dangerous.

If the box said 'Cakes by Marvin' I would be concerned LOL. Other than that I would presume Diana knew either the fan or the bakery.

CE

reese
02-07-2015, 05:09 PM
A friend who attended the concert reminded me of something that happened at the very end that I had forgotten to mention so I thought I would bring it up on here.

As the show was winding down and she was shaking hands along the apron of the stage, someone handed her a very small box, about the size that a corsage would come in. At first I thought it was one.

But she opened it and it was a cupcake. At first she put it to her mouth and pretended to take a bite and then as the very last gesture she made before leaving the stage for good, she actually did take a bite out of it.

I didn't think anything about it but my friend brought up the very intelligent point about how risky it would be for any celebrity to take an item of food from a stranger in the audience. He wondered if maybe it was a part of the act and that it was one of her people that gave it to her.

Any thoughts on that? Ever seen that happen before at a show, hers or anyone else's?

Most likely it was spontaneous, as I've seen her many times over the past few years and it wasn't a part of the act. Also considering the box was given to her by someone down front, she might have known the fan. Many times I've gone to see her and I now recognize quite a few of the fans in the front rows. I'm sure she does too.

thanxal
02-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Clearly she should have given it to the Andantes to taste first. I'm sure I heard them in the background.