PDA

View Full Version : Which of Today's Pop Stars Will Be Tomorrow's Legends?

test

Jerry Oz
02-02-2015, 03:51 AM
First of all, I’ll be man enough to mention that I don’t follow modern pop music as much as some. With that being the case, I’m only vaguely familiar with the artists who make it. However, I frequently wonder what would have happened to artists of previous eras had they survived to continue to make their magic, so the thought occurs about the future of today’s stars.

We lost Sam Cooke, Clyde McPhatter, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, et al, much too soon and I’d wager that most if not all would have made wonderful music for the decades that they lost for dying so soon. We actually saw Elvis and Michael Jackson age, grow, and evolve from fresh faces to mature superstars. I wonder if we’ll see Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and Ariana Grande on the charts when they’re in their 40s?

Watching the video on the main forum with Fourplay feat. Chaka Khan made me think about how well Chaka still performs, 40 years after Rufus first hit the charts. Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson were among the many who still made music long after they debuted in the '60s. There were ten times as many flash in the pans who flamed out over the same period of time. Many didn't have more than a couple of great albums before they were consigned to the 'whatever happened to X' files. Talent will win out over time.

I have little doubt that Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, and Adele for the next 10 or 20 years; their talent is beyond the strength of producers to affect greatly. So long as they have good songs, they’ll grow and evolve into different, if not better talents with time. Too bad that Amy Winehouse didn’t give herself that chance.

My questions: Seeing as the appeal of many of today’s pop artists is in their ability to project their youth through their songs and their public image, will they still be popular when they grow old? Ariana Grande looks like she’s 16 and will probably still keep that image for the next 5 or 6 years. Will her talent allow her to maintain success when she inevitably starts to age? Do we want to see her at 30 or 40 years old, given what we’ve seen of her already? Will Justin Bieber’s act get old before he does? And will we care about a James Dean wannabe in his mid-30s if his songs and voice don’t mature?

We’re already seeing Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, and Britney Spears enter their ‘30s. Justin and Christina seem to be maturing but Britney may not need to, being paid a million dollars per night to perform in Vegas. I’m sure most of you are like me, with an ear to the past more than the present. But there are some of you who listen to the radio today. Who do you suppose is the flavor of the week and which of them will be just as popular in 20 years as he or she is today?

antceleb12
02-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Although Amy Winehouse's musical output was brief, I believe she will, and has started to already, become a legend. Without question, she has reaffirmed the importance of soul, jazz, and sixties music. Artists like Adele, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Sam Smith, and songs like "All About That Bass," with its vintage-tinged sound, owe their successes to Amy Winehouse.

While I am not a big fan of Beyonce, she is another one whose status is sure to remain iconic. Her business sense, strong appeal to audiences of all ages and varieties, and campaigning for feminism has made her a strong force in the industry.

Btritney Spears, while I deplore her music, has the makings of Madonna - in that her career can foreseeably last well into her forties, possibly. Her hit streak has been long enough to make her memorable enough in pop music.

Lady Gaga is another one who could POSSIBLY remain a force in the industry. A lot of her music and performances have proved to be influential on up-and-coming young musicians. However, there is already significant backlash against some of her newer music and attention-seeking behavior.

Lauryn Hill, though her career and reputation are all but shot, has, with one single album, proven to be one of hip-hop's greatest musical talents. Her solo album showcases her ability to weave a variety of musical styles [[soul, hip-hop, girl group harmonies), performance styles [[singing and rapping), and superior lyrical content to create the ultimate socio-political commentary piece that still resonates today.

marv2
02-02-2015, 12:08 PM
No pun intended but I believe John Legend will be a future legend.

soulster
02-02-2015, 12:16 PM
I’m sure most of you are like me, with an ear to the past more than the present. But there are some of you who listen to the radio today. Who do you suppose is the flavor of the week and which of them will be just as popular in 20 years as he or she is today?

I go through times where I keep up with contemporary music. Not so much over the last few months, and I have to get back into it. I keep up by turning on the top 40 hit radio while in the car.

I'd say just look at the ones who have managed to stay up at the top for at least the last five years so far. They keep themselves away from the substances, don't get into major legal troubles, and make music people like. This includes Katy Perry, Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, Usher. Then there's Imagine Dragons, Lana Del Rey, One Direction, Rihanna, and Drake. I realize that even with the names i've mentioned above, there are a couple of them that i'm forgetting, and I haven't been in tune for the last few months.

Then, there are a lot of one-hit wonders IMO, like Meghan Trainor. I doubt Sam Smith will be around long. And, it's interesting to note that Chris Brown is still making music, and people are buying it.

I don't know if Adele or Amelie have burned out yet. We'll see.

Jerry Oz
02-02-2015, 02:28 PM
The sustainable acts tend to be those whose voices or styles are recognizable within a verse or two. Madonna would be the most notable exception to that rule because she has basically been a chameleon musically and sells records more on personality than because people lover her voice. There are many more strong voices than people would believe.

Beyonce has a very good voice, but she's lost in the flash and production of so many of her songs. But her personality and presence will probably keep her popular for decades. I like Lorde, but I wonder if the industry will permit a strong-minded teenager to do the music she wants to do. If she's that assertive in her musical choices, she's possibly going to put off some of the people she needs to succeed. Record executives don't tend to trust the instincts of the artists in 2015.

Among rappers, Jay-Z and Eminem have already started the process of evolving into accepted legacy superstars. They can release albums every five years at this point and sell records to two generations of fans. Tupac would have been there, in my opinion. Nelly has that potential, but I don't see or hear him mentioned as broadly appreciated as Jay-Z and Eminem, although I think his music is fantastic. I'm not sure which other rappers will make it. I'm afraid Nikki Minaj's act will play out as soon as she's no longer considered sexy, especially with the attitude that she's displayed. But we'll see.

It's interesting to see how long Mariah Carey lasted after her breakdown a decade or so ago. She's becoming known as an artist who lost her range in live appearances, but she remains extremely popular. She's the modern example of what I'm talking about, by the way. It's almost time for her to stop selling the sex and focus on the voice, just as she did when she first came on the scene.

In my opinion, it's a mistake to sell your image instead of your voice. So many of the most popular singers today are selling themselves short, talent wise. Unless they really aren't talented. I'm cool with seeing young women dance around in scant clothing; honestly, I am. But I just don't see how that's going to last at the point that the public is focusing on the next one who comes along, who will take that act to another, bolder level. I can't see you shaking your butt when your song is pouring out of my speaker, for what it's worth. I wonder if all or most of them honestly see that as the path to long-term success.

antceleb12
02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
They keep themselves away from the substances, don't get into major legal troubles, and make music people like.

I have to disagree on this point. Look at the entire 27 club. Mr Whitney Houston. Or Billie Holiday. In particular Ms. Holiday. Her musical accomplishments have managed to avoid being surpassed by her drug problems, as well as her numerous arrests. Also, it wasn't until after her death that her popularity became more mainstream. As popular as she was in her lifetime, she was still considered one of those 'beatnik' musicians whose popularity was not entirely as widespread as it is today. Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin both had relatively brief careers, too, and Ms. Joplin, in particular, had limited popularity until after her death. Or even Marvin Gaye. Or the Beatles. One can actually make the argument that their personal struggles inadvertently helped cement their popularity.

Jerry Oz
02-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Good points, antceleb12. But the artists we are talking about are not the ones who died too soon but the ones who lived [[and will live) to have long careers. Whitney's career ended more than a decade before she died and Lady Day died much too soon. Even before she died, her voice had changed dramatically, so soulster's admonition is 100% accurate regarding longevity.

There are some artists that we wonder about and some that we don't have to. We saw what became of Smokey and Stevie who had hits well into their fifties and beyond, but Wilson Pickett [[for example) faded into the sunset long before his death. Hard living is something that'll do you nine times out of ten. By definition, nobody in the 27 Club evolved into a mature artist; they died in their heyday before we could enjoy [[or pan) what came next.

soulster
02-02-2015, 10:10 PM
In my opinion, it's a mistake to sell your image instead of your voice. So many of the most popular singers today are selling themselves short, talent wise. Unless they really aren't talented. I'm cool with seeing young women dance around in scant clothing; honestly, I am. But I just don't see how that's going to last at the point that the public is focusing on the next one who comes along, who will take that act to another, bolder level. I can't see you shaking your butt when your song is pouring out of my speaker, for what it's worth. I wonder if all or most of them honestly see that as the path to long-term success. Well, that's if you only focus on the singing. There's more to music than just that. There have been a lot of artists who lasted and relied on their image.

antceleb12
02-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Good points, antceleb12. But the artists we are talking about are not the ones who died too soon but the ones who lived [[and will live) to have long careers. Whitney's career ended more than a decade before she died and Lady Day died much too soon. Even before she died, her voice had changed dramatically, so soulster's admonition is 100% accurate regarding longevity.

There are some artists that we wonder about and some that we don't have to. We saw what became of Smokey and Stevie who had hits well into their fifties and beyond, but Wilson Pickett [[for example) faded into the sunset long before his death. Hard living is something that'll do you nine times out of ten. By definition, nobody in the 27 Club evolved into a mature artist; they died in their heyday before we could enjoy [[or pan) what came next.

From what I got out of the discussion, I took becoming a legend meaning even after death or the end of their careers, their impact and memory lasted, rather than technical career longevity. If you count career longevity, Whitney's career saw an immediate and successful resurgence toward the end of her life. Billie's ended because of her health, rather than a lack of talent or material. Their careers halted because of their personal lives, as opposed to a lack of interest on the public's part.

I think the most important question to consider is will their musical output and contributions be remembered after their passing or the end of their careers? In the case of the artists I mentioned above in my last post, they fit that shoe well. I don't think it matters so much how long their career lasts versus how much their output contributed to music.

marv2
02-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Snoop Dogg, believe it or not will attain the designation of legend! He has the right mix of hipness and saneness to achieve it. It is hard to describe, but he's got it.

Jerry Oz
02-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Snoop Dogg, believe it or not will attain the designation of legend! He has the right mix of hipness and saneness to achieve it. It is hard to describe, but he's got it.It's something to note that Snoop was featured on Dr. Dre's first album and relatively unknown to most music fans. Two decades later, he's an industry legend. The same happened with Jay-Z, who was a street legend in New York years before he became a household name and business mogul. You never know who's 'got it' until somebody gets a chance to prove it. Bless both of those brothers.

soulster
02-02-2015, 11:22 PM
It's something to note that Snoop was featured on Dr. Dre's first album and relatively unknown to most music fans.

I don't know what planet you lived on, but "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre is a stone-cold rap classic. Ask anyone who knows about rap. It came out around the time "The Dogg Pound" came out.

marv2
02-03-2015, 01:31 AM
It's something to note that Snoop was featured on Dr. Dre's first album and relatively unknown to most music fans. Two decades later, he's an industry legend. The same happened with Jay-Z, who was a street legend in New York years before he became a household name and business mogul. You never know who's 'got it' until somebody gets a chance to prove it. Bless both of those brothers.

That's right and besides, Snoop coaches Pop Warner football for kids! He is not all bad. LOL!

marv2
02-03-2015, 01:32 AM
I don't know what planet you lived on, but "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre is a stone-cold rap classic. Ask anyone who knows about rap. It came out around the time "The Dogg Pound" came out.

and that's been over 20 years ago. Snoop could drop a joint tomorrow and his fans would eat it right up!

Jerry Oz
02-03-2015, 01:55 AM
I don't know what planet you lived on, but "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre is a stone-cold rap classic. Ask anyone who knows about rap. It came out around the time "The Dogg Pound" came out.Let me rephrase it: Snoop was relatively unknown UNTIL he appeared on Dre's album [[The Chronic). Not after. He was nearly as big as Dre after the album but relatively unknown prior to it.

[[I live on Earth, third rock from the Sun, BTW...) :cool:

soulster
02-03-2015, 05:08 AM
Let me rephrase it: Snoop was relatively unknown UNTIL he appeared on Dre's album [[The Chronic). That's better! The way you wrote your last post made it sound like you meant that Dr. Dre's first album wasn't known.

arr&bee
02-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Well let's see...john legend...beyonce...alicia keys,but we have to ask will any of then still be around in thirty years??