PDA

View Full Version : Getting old department

test

ralpht
01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Just had breakfast in my favorite Walled Lake restaurant. I've gotten to know a young cook at the place and we discuss music from time to time. Today we were discussing vinyl records. He asked me how they worked since he has never listened to one. I told him if he wanted to listen to a particular song, he would have to lift the tone arm and place it in the grooves next to the upcoming song. He had a bit of a problem grasping this concept....Now where did I leave my keys......

marv2
01-31-2015, 01:09 PM
Are you serious? LOL! But I can relate. I have a nephew who is a musician/performer/singer and he has never held a vinyl album in his hands before. He is 22 years old.

skooldem1
01-31-2015, 01:14 PM
I've posted this before. But this story reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E

ralpht
01-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Yeah Marv, this kid is somewhere in that age group. I couldn't believe it when he asked me how to play a vinyl record. But when I thought about it, how would the kid know?

marv2
01-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Yeah Marv, this kid is somewhere in that age group. I couldn't believe it when he asked me how to play a vinyl record. But when I thought about it, how would the kid know?

That's true. It's funny because just a few days ago I was in this very small town. I went to this shop that sold old memorablia, radios, TV's etc and I asked the guy if he would be getting any old "record players" from the sixties and he said he would contact me.
What kills me most is when I see a kid wearing an afro or braids or some other look that we had back in the day and they think that it's new and they originated it!

marv2
01-31-2015, 01:27 PM
Show a kid something like this and he would be stumped to tell you what it is!

marv2
01-31-2015, 01:29 PM
....and if you really want to mess 'em up, show them something like this! LOL!!!

nabob
01-31-2015, 03:29 PM
What kills me most is when I see a kid wearing an afro or braids or some other look that we had back in the day and they think that it's new and they originated it!We've become our parents. I think we're all beginning to sound like they use to sound to us. LOL

144man
01-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Don't kids ever get taught about the past?

blueskies
01-31-2015, 05:06 PM
I took some CD's into Half Price Books to sell and the guy said.....'this case is empty'. I said...."oh, I think I left that one in my Walkman." He said..."WALKMAN".....you still have a WALKMAN!." He said it so loud people looked. I felt like fleeing the store! I hang my geriatric head in shame.

westgrandboulevard
01-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Treating people who are decades younger than ourselves as our equals is a courtesy that rarely if ever works well in reverse!

It's for them just to be, and for us simply to understand them..LOL

Ever tried engaging in extended conversation with young people, without being at least tempted to say "when I was your age, I....." :)

arr&bee
01-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,this post is classic,i can remember my folks talking about the[victrola]and me looking at em real funny,i recently showed a little one how a turntable works and the kid was fascinated,we're the new museum peices.

westgrandboulevard
01-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Then get a real good look. We're endangered.:rolleyes:

Jerry Oz
01-31-2015, 08:41 PM
If you really want to blow their mind, ask them if they can fathom what an 8-track player was. I remember riding with my folks from Ohio to Virginia with Dad popping in 8-track cassettes. There would be a case with 12 or so cassettes in them to tide us over when the radio lapsed out between cities. Songs would pause in the middle as it skipped from one track to the next. Hah!

Good times.

soulster
01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Are you serious? LOL! But I can relate. I have a nephew who is a musician/performer/singer and he has never held a vinyl album in his hands before. He is 22 years old.
Kind of puts this so-called vinyl resurgence with the young 'uns into perspective, doesn't it?

Seriously, I cannot comprehend that there are people who have never even held, much less seen a vinyl record!

soulster
01-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Don't kids ever get taught about the past? Don't old folks care about the present?

Jerry Oz
01-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't old folks care about the present?
And "BOOM!" went the dynamite...

marv2
02-01-2015, 12:06 AM
I took some CD's into Half Price Books to sell and the guy said.....'this case is empty'. I said...."oh, I think I left that one in my Walkman." He said..."WALKMAN".....you still have a WALKMAN!." He said it so loud people looked. I felt like fleeing the store! I hang my geriatric head in shame.

Blueskies, I have a Flip Phone [[as well as a I-Phone). I carry the Flip Phone with me everywhere and you should see the looks I get! LOL! I still have it because it is generally one that kids will not try to steal and if I leave it somewhere chances are I will get it back!

marv2
02-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,this post is classic,i can remember my folks talking about the[victrola]and me looking at em real funny,i recently showed a little one how a turntable works and the kid was fascinated,we're the new museum peices.

Hey, I couldn't understand how my parents and grandparents could gather around the radio and listen to their regular programs, soap operas, etc.

robb_k
02-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Hey, I couldn't understand how my parents and grandparents could gather around the radio and listen to their regular programs, soap operas, etc.
I must be older than you. I remember when no one had TVs in their houses. So, I remember listening to radio comedies and variety shows and mysteries. I don't have a flip phone or I-phone.I don't even know what they are. I only first got a mobile phone last year. I didn't get a computer of any kind until 1998. I never bought a car with an automatic transmission. I don't use heating in my house in The Netherlands, nor my flat in Germany, even in winter. I don't use a dishwasher.

When I tell kids we had no computers when I grew up, and no TV until I was a teenager, they asked "What did you DO all the time?" I told them we played sports, games and read books [[on paper!) I'm certain that my growing up in the '40s and early '50s was more like the youth of my parents than of my younger sisters and brother, who grew up mostly in the '60s, and my growing up was closer to that of my grandparents who grew up in the 1880s and 1890s, than it is to the kids of today, even though they had no airplanes, autos, radio, garbage disposals, refrigerators, air-conditioning [[people didn't have that in their homes when I grew up)..

Doug-Morgan
02-01-2015, 09:00 AM
".......when I was your age, we had to WALK across the living room to change the channel on the TV......"

mr soul
02-01-2015, 09:12 AM
My great niece who six was playing some tunes for me the other day, do you know this, no how about this no, so she played MJ's "Thriller", I went straight to the vinyl 12" picture disc I have & showed it to her, she said WOW that's a big CD.

ralpht
02-01-2015, 10:12 AM
That is so right, Doug. All three channels.

blueskies
02-01-2015, 10:49 AM
That is so right, Doug. All three channels.

Along with the 3 channels [[I well remember that)....we had these antenna's on top of the TV that someone got the bright idea to put foil on?? Plus, there was that antenna on top of the house. None of it worked very well as I remember. We were always 'fiddling' around with those dials and it was like watching TV with cataracts....bad ones.

milven
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I must be older than you. I remember when no one had TVs in their houses. So, I remember listening to radio comedies and variety shows and mysteries. ..

I may be about your age, or maybe a few years younger-or older :confused:. I do remember the final years of network radio and also the beginning of TV. We were too poor for TV so I watched stuff like Howdy Doody by my friends house and Children's Hour with the family in the apartement below me. But today I am grateful that we did not switch over to TV immediately, because I have a first hand knowledge of the era before me. What nice memories I have of sitting in the "parlor" with my family listening to THE SHADOW, THE LONE RANGER, BABY SNOOKS, STOP THE MUSIC, THE FBI, FIBBER MC GEE and other shows.

But I don't live in the past and usually I was the first to get a new gadget. I remember when people were amazed when I was walking around in my yard with a cordless phone talking to someone. And had a fax machine before they became popular. Had a VCR even before there was a Betamax. And computerized my business in the early nineties with a DOS system before there was WINDOWS.

I love the line above "When I was your age, we had to walk across the living room to change the channel." ;)

soulster
02-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Uh, we had five TV stations. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ans one independent station. But, starting in 1969, we got cable. Still had a B&W TV, though.

mr soul
02-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Soulster...you were lucky, we only had 2 TV stations BBC & ITV & our wireless [a strange thing to call a radio that had an electrical wired plug] took 10 minutes to warm up before you heard anything.

marv2
02-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Uh, we had five TV stations. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ans one independent station. But, starting in 1969, we got cable. Still had a B&W TV, though.

Wow, we had at first 2 TV stations, Channel 11 [[CBS) and Channell 13 that doubled as NBC and ABC until 1968 when we got Channel 24 ABC full time. We had Canadian station channel 9 out of Windsor and then Detroit network channels with Channel 50 being the main independent until the early 70's. Cable? I didn't see cable for the first time until around 1983! That was in Colorado and then everyone back home started getting it in the mid 80s.

marv2
02-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Soulster...you were lucky, we only had 2 TV stations BBC & ITV & our wireless [a strange thing to call a radio that had an electrical wired plug] took 10 minutes to warm up before you heard anything.

Mr. Soul in the 60s and early 70s are television broadcast days usually ended around 12 midnight. How long was the broadcast day in the UK?

soulster
02-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Wow, we had at first 2 TV stations, Channel 11 [[CBS) and Channell 13 that doubled as NBC and ABC ...

How did that work?

marv2
02-01-2015, 08:10 PM
How did that work?

It was strange because in one hour you would have NBC produced programing on a given night, on others it would be ABC. They would alternate the most popular programs for each network. Some just watched the Detroit affiliate for ABC [[channel 7 WXYZ) since it was so close to Toledo to begin with. By 1968 all was well however.....

1968 was the year we got Channel 30 / PBS

marv2
02-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Now we don't REAALLLLY have to get old..............................LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuM7n2VJNTA

glencro
02-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Loving this post. I can remember a few years ago I was on a plane and pulled my portable cd player and cd case out of my carry on. The looks that I got. You would have thought that I pulled out a turn table. Purchased my first iPod after that trip.

glencro
02-01-2015, 09:41 PM
now we don't reaalllly have to get old..............................lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uum7n2vjnta
toooo funny!!!

marv2
02-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Loving this post. I can remember a few years ago I was on a plane and pulled my portable cd player and cd case out of my carry on. The looks that I got. You would have thought that I pulled out a turn table. Purchased my first iPod after that trip.

Glen........hehehehehehehe....!

Jerry Oz
02-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Mr. Soul in the 60s and early 70s are television broadcast days usually ended around 12 midnight. How long was the broadcast day in the UK?
LOL. "We have reached the end of our broadcast day..." I remember that like it was yesterday.

soulster
02-02-2015, 03:22 AM
Could you imagine what would happen today if all channels signed off at night?

Hey, back in the day, did you ever wake up at like two in the morning with insomnia, and turn on the TV in desperate hopes that you'd find something on?

I already mentioned that in 1969, we got cable. But, in 1972, our cable company added three Los Angeles Stations in addition to the local channels. They were KHJ, KTTV, and KTLA. I guess it was because L.A. is the entertainment capital, but we were stoked that the channels stayed on all night, at least on the weekend. Some of my fondest memories were of watching 1930-type movies, and seeing endless Cal Worthington and his dog Spot TV commercials.

Jerry Oz
02-02-2015, 03:54 AM
We got cable in 1972 and that changed the game for me and my friends. I remember when HBO first came on, it wouldn't even start showing movies until 4 or 5:00 PM and the last one ended around 1:00 AM. And don't get me going on when MTV debuted.

soulster
02-02-2015, 05:00 AM
I remember when HBO first came on, it wouldn't even start showing movies until 4 or 5:00 PM That's how it was when they started showing The Playboy Channel here in 1981 Well, they didn't bother to scramble it, either. How do I know this?

Hotspurman
02-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Bear in mind that in the UK, we had only three channels until 1982, which isn’t really that long ago. Channel 4 launched in 1982, then Channel 5 in 1997, by which time Sky had entered the fray. And sometimes I think there was more worth watching when we had less choice than now...

I’m not really a gadget man, having resisted the lure of CD’s until a good five years after they launched, but I was one of the first in my village to have a Sony Walkman – I got some funny looks down my local when I walked in with that. Anytime I get anything new these days I have to get my son or daughter to programme it for me, including getting the time right on my phone!

soulster
02-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Anytime I get anything new these days I have to get my son or daughter to programme it for me, including getting the time right on my phone!

Why not just have them teach you how to do it.

ralpht
02-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Soulster,
I had a grandson run through something on a computer for me, and by the time he finished, what I learned was to call him when I needed some tech assistance.

soulster
02-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Not to put you on the spot, Ralph, but do you think it's true that when most people age, they lose their cognitive abilities?

ralpht
02-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Not sure what I had in the first place, Soul, but probably so.

alanh
02-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Coincidentally a friend sent me this link to an old newspaper article recently.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10584927/Brains-of-elderly-slow-because-they-know-so-much.html
Maybe that's the reason why so many of us find it hard to deal with new stuff?! [[despite the theory subsequently disproved by the technical experts.)

Going back to Ralph's original story, I was slightly surprised that, with all the talk about the vinyl revival, that the young cook didn't really know how records 'worked'. But I suppose even though there's been a mini boom, it's only involves a relatively few people.

By the way, we also need to tell these young folk that a quantity of records is not called 'vinyls' but they are still 'vinyl'! Far too often I hear and see the word 'vinyls' when referring to more than one disc. "I've been playing more vinyls recently." It's plural noun - a shepherd doesn't have 50 sheeps!

westgrandboulevard
02-02-2015, 04:14 PM
I think it is always possible that cognitive abilities can actually increase with age, provided the interest is strong enough, and also the will to actually apply oneself to a new task, not just muse on it.

It's natural to have tried and trusted routines, which become very engrained over decades, so responding to change needs some thought,to override long-established habits [[for example, negative thinking), and to recognise any benefits.

Besides, the young can start each day with a relatively blank canvas. People of our years have many memories which can be triggered by new experiences. Those memories seemingly float in and out of our minds at will, and can really distract us....

mr soul
02-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Marv2 it appears about the same, here's the listing on BBC1 from 4th January 1969.

12.00 : THE WEATHER MAN
Graham Parker
Contributors

Unknown: Graham Parker

12.05 : LAUREL AND HARDY
Two of the world's greatest laughter-makers in a selection of their famous short films
The Live Ghost
A Hal Roach film
Directed by Charles Rogers
Stan and Ollie try to get a crew for a haunted ship and find themselves afloat.
Contributors

Unknown: Hal Roach
Directed By: Charles Rogers

12.25 : ZOKKO!
Noise! Adventure! Glitter]
Today's edition includes:
Skayn
10: The Deadly Planet . . . with the voices of SHEELAGH McGRATH
GORDON CLYDE , ANTHONY JACKSON and pictures by LESLIE CASWELL
The breathtaking ...
Eddy Limbo and Pat Zokkol music by BRIAN FAHEY
Animation by TED LEWIS and MALCOLM DRAPER
Directed by PAUL CIANI
Written and produced by MOLLY COX
Contributors

Unknown: Sheelagh McGrath
Unknown: Gordon Clyde
Unknown: Anthony Jackson
Unknown: Leslie Caswell
Unknown: Pat Zokkol
Music By: Brian Fahey
Unknown: Ted Lewis
Unknown: Malcolm Draper
Directed By: Paul Ciani
Produced By: Molly Cox

12.45 : GRANDSTAND
See panel below
TODAY'S TIMETABLE
12.55 Fight of the Week
1.10 Racing
1.2S F.A. Cup preview
1.35 Racing
1.55 Ski-ing
2.5 Racing
2.25 Ski-ing
2.35 Racing
2.55 Swimming
3.10 Rugby League
3.30 Swimming
3.45 Rugby League
4.30 Swimming
4.40 Teleprinter
4.46 Swimming
4.55 Results Service
Classified football results
Racing results, Rugby Union and Rugby League results
These timings mau be altered by events

17.15 : DR WHO
An adventure in space and time starring PATRICK TROUGHTON FRAZER HINES WENDY PADBURY James Copeland, Gilbert Wynne
The Krotons by ROBERT HOLMES
PART 2: The Doctor and Zoe are tested by the Teaching Machines. Their score is high-and they are summoned by the dreaded Krotons...
Cast in order of appearance:
Title music by RON GRAINER and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop
Script editor, Terrance Dicks
Designer, Raymond London
Producer, PETER BRYANT
Directed by DAVID MALONEY
Contributors

Written by: Robert Holmes
Title Music By: Ron Grainer
Script Editor: Terrance Dicks
Designer: Raymond London
Producer: Peter Bryant
Directed By: David Maloney
Dr Who: Patrick Troughton
Zoe: Wendy Padbury
Jamie: Frazer Hines
Setris: James Copeland
Thara: Gilbert Wynne
Vana: Madeleine Mills
Krotons: Robert La'Bassiere, Miles Northover
Kroton voices: Roy Skelton, Patrick Tull

17.40 : THE NEWS
and THE WEATHER MAN Graham Parker
Contributors

17.50 : HERE'S LUCY
a A new comedy film series starring and Mod, Mod Lucy
...finds herself a slice of the action
Contributors

Lucy Carter: Lucille Ball
her children, Craig: Desi Armaz Jr
her children, Kim: Lucie
Harrison Carter: Gale Gordon

18.15 : HAPPENING FOR LULU
A series of programmes of music and laughter featuring the world of LULU her special guests and friends

Johnny Harris and his Orchestra
Vocal backing
Sue and Sunny with Kay and Pan's People
Choreography, Flick Colby
Design, J. Roger Lowe
Production, STANLEY DORFMAN
Among the guests Lulu will welcome tonight is Jimi Hendrix whose sensational rendering of Dylan's song ' All along the watch-tower ' recently rocketed him back into the Top Ten.
Contributors

Unknown: Johnny Harris
Design: J. Roger Lowe
Unknown: Stanley Dorfman
Unknown: Jimi Hendrix

19.00 : THE MORECAMBE AND WISE SHOW
Written by DICK HILLS and SID GREEN starring
ERIC MORECAMBE and ERNIE WISE
Guest artists, GEORGIA BROWN, LOS ZAFIROS
With Jenny Lee-Wright, Bettine Le Beau
Orchestra directed by ALYN AINSWORTH
Design, Brian Tregidden
Produced by JOHN AMMONDS
First shown on BBC-2
Contributors

Written By: Dick Hills, Sid Green
Artists: Georgia Brown
Artists: Los Zafiros
Unknown: Jenny Lee-Wright
Unknown: Bettine Le Beau
Directed By: Alyn Ainsworth
Design: Brian Tregidden
Produced By: John Ammonds

19.30 : THE ROLF HARRIS SHOW
starring
ROLF HARRIS with THE YOUNG GENERATION
VALERIE BARRETT BOBBY BANNERMAN HEATHER BECKERS Chris COOPER MARlEFINCH
ANN CHAPMAN DANNY GROVER
ANNCHAPMAN
JACKIE DALTON HARRY HIGHAM JANE HERBERT ROGER HOWLETT LINDA HERBERT ERIK-JACK
LINDA JOLI. IFF SCOT MACKEB
LESLEY JUDD DENNIS MORRISEY KAY KORDA PETER NEWTON LINDA LAWRENCE BRIAN ROGERS PATRICIA LOVETT BARRY STEVENS SANDY PENSON RICKY STRATFUL TERRY ROBINSON DONALD TORR
WEI WEI WONG TREVOR WILLIS
Choreography, DOUGLAS SQUIRES
Guest artists,
ESTHER and ABI OFARIM PAUL JONES
TONY CAWLEY
MARIE LAFORET
Musical arrangements by Alan Roper and Norman Percival
Script by Spike Mullins , Joe Steeples
Costumes, Rupert Jarvis
Design, Victor Meredith and Roger Murray-Leach
Production, STEWART MORRIS See page 27
Contributors

Unknown: Rolf Harris
Unknown: Linda Herbert Erik-Jack
Unknown: Linda Joli.
Unknown: Abi Ofarim
Unknown: Paul Jones
Unknown: Tony Cawley
Unknown: Marie Laforet
Arrangements By: Alan Roper
Arrangements By: Norman Percival
Script By: Spike Mullins
Script By: Joe Steeples
Unknown: Rupert Jarvis
Design: Victor Meredith
Design: Roger Murray-Leach
Unknown: Stewart Morris

20.15 : THE SATURDAY THRILLER: TENSION
Feature films with suspense, danger, excitement
Tension starring
RICHARD BASEHART
AUDREY TOTTER with Cyd Charisse , Barry Sullivan Lloyd Gough
Screenplay by ALLEN RIVKIN Produced and directed by John Berry
A jealous husband plans the murder of his wife's lover by assuming a false identity, with a result very different from that Intended. Richard Basehart gives a characteristically sensitive and Intelligent performance as the man in question.
Contributors

Unknown: Richard Basehart
Unknown: Cyd Charisse
Unknown: Barry Sullivan
Unknown: Lloyd Gough
Unknown: Allen Rivkin
Directed By: John Berry
Warren Quimby: Richard Basehart
Claire Quimby: Audrey Totter
Mary Chanler: Cyd Charisse
Lt Collier Bonnabel: Barry Sullivan
Barney Daeger: Lloyd Gough
Freddie: Tom D'Andrea
Lt Edgar Gonsales: William Conrad
Narco: Tito Renalde

21.45 : TILL DEATH US DO PART
In sickness and in health
When we are ill, few of us make good patients at home or in hospital. Alf, understandably, is one of the worst....
Written by JOHNNY SPEIGHT starring
Guest star, Graham Stark featuring
Anthony Sharp and Mark Eden with Tommy Godfrey and Valerie Murray Music by DENNIS WILSON
Designed by Martin Collins
Produced by DENNIS MAIN WILSON
Contributors

Written By: Johnny Speight
Unknown: Graham Stark
Unknown: Anthony Sharp
Unknown: Mark Eden
Unknown: Tommy Godfrey
Unknown: Valerie Murray
Music By: Dennis Wilson
Designed By: Martin Collins
Produced By: Dennis Main Wilson
Alf: Warren Mitchell
Else: Dandy Nichols
Mike: Anthony Booth
Rita: Una Stubbs

22.15 : THE NEWS
with Richard Baker followed by THE WEATHER
Contributors

Unknown: Richard Baker

22.25 : F.A. CUP SPECIAL
David Coleman reports on today's
F.A. CUP
Third Round
Out cf the 430 Clubs who entered the F.A. Challenge Cup Competition this season, sixty-four remain today to play in this the third round, where the Third and Fourth Division and non-League Clubs are joined by the giants of the First and Second Divisions.
Kenneth Wolstenholme , David Coleman and Alan Weeks report with outside broadcast cameras on three of today's exciting Cup ties.
Television presentation by John McGonagle. Roy Norton
Richard Tilling and Brian Venner Produced by ALEC WEEKS
Contributors

Unknown: David Coleman
Unknown: Kenneth Wolstenholme
Unknown: Alan Weeks
Presentation By: John McGonagle.
Presentation By: Roy Norton
Presentation By: Richard Tilling
Presentation By: Brian Venner
Produced By: Alec Weeks

23.15 : BRADEN'S WEEK
Each week
25,000 tons of newsprint
50 hours of news bulletins
One man
BERNARD BRADEN and his team
John Pitman , Esther Rantzen take a look at some of the things that happened-and some of the things that didn't
Song of the week: Jake Thackray
Children of the week:
Harold Williamson
Designer, Don Giles Director, TOM CONWAY
Producer, JOHN LLOYD
Edited by DESMOND WILCOX and BILL MORTON
Contributors

Unknown: Bernard Braden
Unknown: John Pitman
Unknown: Esther Rantzen
Unknown: Jake Thackray
Designer: Don Giles
Director: Tom Conway
Producer: John Lloyd
Edited By: Desmond Wilcox
Edited By: Bill Morton

23.45 : THE WEATHER MAN
Close Down

marv2
02-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Marv2 it appears about the same, here's the listing on BBC1 from 4th January 1969.

12.00 : THE WEATHER MAN
Graham Parker
Contributors

12.05 : LAUREL AND HARDY
Two of the world's greatest laughter-makers in a selection of their famous short films
The Live Ghost
A Hal Roach film
Directed by Charles Rogers
Stan and Ollie try to get a crew for a haunted ship and find themselves afloat.
Contributors

Unknown: Hal Roach
Directed By: Charles Rogers

12.25 : ZOKKO!
Noise! Adventure! Glitter]
Today's edition includes:
Skayn
10: The Deadly Planet . . . with the voices of SHEELAGH McGRATH
GORDON CLYDE , ANTHONY JACKSON and pictures by LESLIE CASWELL
The breathtaking ...
Eddy Limbo and Pat Zokkol music by BRIAN FAHEY
Animation by TED LEWIS and MALCOLM DRAPER
Directed by PAUL CIANI
Written and produced by MOLLY COX
Contributors

Unknown: Sheelagh McGrath
Unknown: Gordon Clyde
Unknown: Anthony Jackson
Unknown: Leslie Caswell
Unknown: Pat Zokkol
Music By: Brian Fahey
Unknown: Ted Lewis
Unknown: Malcolm Draper
Directed By: Paul Ciani
Produced By: Molly Cox

12.45 : GRANDSTAND
See panel below
TODAY'S TIMETABLE
12.55 Fight of the Week
1.10 Racing
1.2S F.A. Cup preview
1.35 Racing
1.55 Ski-ing
2.5 Racing
2.25 Ski-ing
2.35 Racing
2.55 Swimming
3.10 Rugby League
3.30 Swimming
3.45 Rugby League
4.30 Swimming
4.40 Teleprinter
4.46 Swimming
4.55 Results Service
Classified football results
Racing results, Rugby Union and Rugby League results
These timings mau be altered by events

17.15 : DR WHO
An adventure in space and time starring PATRICK TROUGHTON FRAZER HINES WENDY PADBURY James Copeland, Gilbert Wynne
The Krotons by ROBERT HOLMES
PART 2: The Doctor and Zoe are tested by the Teaching Machines. Their score is high-and they are summoned by the dreaded Krotons...
Cast in order of appearance:
Title music by RON GRAINER and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop
Script editor, Terrance Dicks
Designer, Raymond London
Producer, PETER BRYANT
Directed by DAVID MALONEY
Contributors

Written by: Robert Holmes
Title Music By: Ron Grainer
Script Editor: Terrance Dicks
Designer: Raymond London
Producer: Peter Bryant
Directed By: David Maloney
Dr Who: Patrick Troughton
Zoe: Wendy Padbury
Jamie: Frazer Hines
Setris: James Copeland
Thara: Gilbert Wynne
Vana: Madeleine Mills
Krotons: Robert La'Bassiere, Miles Northover
Kroton voices: Roy Skelton, Patrick Tull

17.40 : THE NEWS
and THE WEATHER MAN Graham Parker
Contributors

17.50 : HERE'S LUCY
a A new comedy film series starring and Mod, Mod Lucy
...finds herself a slice of the action
Contributors

Lucy Carter: Lucille Ball
her children, Craig: Desi Armaz Jr
her children, Kim: Lucie
Harrison Carter: Gale Gordon

18.15 : HAPPENING FOR LULU
A series of programmes of music and laughter featuring the world of LULU her special guests and friends

Johnny Harris and his Orchestra
Vocal backing
Sue and Sunny with Kay and Pan's People
Choreography, Flick Colby
Design, J. Roger Lowe
Production, STANLEY DORFMAN
Among the guests Lulu will welcome tonight is Jimi Hendrix whose sensational rendering of Dylan's song ' All along the watch-tower ' recently rocketed him back into the Top Ten.
Contributors

Unknown: Johnny Harris
Design: J. Roger Lowe
Unknown: Stanley Dorfman
Unknown: Jimi Hendrix

19.00 : THE MORECAMBE AND WISE SHOW
Written by DICK HILLS and SID GREEN starring
ERIC MORECAMBE and ERNIE WISE
Guest artists, GEORGIA BROWN, LOS ZAFIROS
With Jenny Lee-Wright, Bettine Le Beau
Design, Brian Tregidden
Produced by JOHN AMMONDS
First shown on BBC-2
Contributors

Written By: Dick Hills, Sid Green
Artists: Georgia Brown
Artists: Los Zafiros
Unknown: Jenny Lee-Wright
Unknown: Bettine Le Beau
Design: Brian Tregidden
Produced By: John Ammonds

19.30 : THE ROLF HARRIS SHOW
starring
ROLF HARRIS with THE YOUNG GENERATION
VALERIE BARRETT BOBBY BANNERMAN HEATHER BECKERS Chris COOPER MARlEFINCH
ANN CHAPMAN DANNY GROVER
ANNCHAPMAN
JACKIE DALTON HARRY HIGHAM JANE HERBERT ROGER HOWLETT LINDA HERBERT ERIK-JACK
LINDA JOLI. IFF SCOT MACKEB
LESLEY JUDD DENNIS MORRISEY KAY KORDA PETER NEWTON LINDA LAWRENCE BRIAN ROGERS PATRICIA LOVETT BARRY STEVENS SANDY PENSON RICKY STRATFUL TERRY ROBINSON DONALD TORR
WEI WEI WONG TREVOR WILLIS
Choreography, DOUGLAS SQUIRES
Guest artists,
ESTHER and ABI OFARIM PAUL JONES
TONY CAWLEY
MARIE LAFORET
Musical arrangements by Alan Roper and Norman Percival
Script by Spike Mullins , Joe Steeples
Costumes, Rupert Jarvis
Design, Victor Meredith and Roger Murray-Leach
Production, STEWART MORRIS See page 27
Contributors

Unknown: Rolf Harris
Unknown: Linda Herbert Erik-Jack
Unknown: Linda Joli.
Unknown: Abi Ofarim
Unknown: Paul Jones
Unknown: Tony Cawley
Unknown: Marie Laforet
Arrangements By: Alan Roper
Arrangements By: Norman Percival
Script By: Spike Mullins
Script By: Joe Steeples
Unknown: Rupert Jarvis
Design: Victor Meredith
Design: Roger Murray-Leach
Unknown: Stewart Morris

20.15 : THE SATURDAY THRILLER: TENSION
Feature films with suspense, danger, excitement
Tension starring
RICHARD BASEHART
AUDREY TOTTER with Cyd Charisse , Barry Sullivan Lloyd Gough
Screenplay by ALLEN RIVKIN Produced and directed by John Berry
A jealous husband plans the murder of his wife's lover by assuming a false identity, with a result very different from that Intended. Richard Basehart gives a characteristically sensitive and Intelligent performance as the man in question.
Contributors

Unknown: Cyd Charisse
Unknown: Barry Sullivan
Unknown: Lloyd Gough
Unknown: Allen Rivkin
Directed By: John Berry
Warren Quimby: Richard Basehart
Claire Quimby: Audrey Totter
Mary Chanler: Cyd Charisse
Lt Collier Bonnabel: Barry Sullivan
Barney Daeger: Lloyd Gough
Freddie: Tom D'Andrea
Lt Edgar Gonsales: William Conrad
Narco: Tito Renalde

21.45 : TILL DEATH US DO PART
In sickness and in health
When we are ill, few of us make good patients at home or in hospital. Alf, understandably, is one of the worst....
Written by JOHNNY SPEIGHT starring
Guest star, Graham Stark featuring
Anthony Sharp and Mark Eden with Tommy Godfrey and Valerie Murray Music by DENNIS WILSON
Designed by Martin Collins
Produced by DENNIS MAIN WILSON
Contributors

Written By: Johnny Speight
Unknown: Graham Stark
Unknown: Anthony Sharp
Unknown: Mark Eden
Unknown: Tommy Godfrey
Unknown: Valerie Murray
Music By: Dennis Wilson
Designed By: Martin Collins
Produced By: Dennis Main Wilson
Alf: Warren Mitchell
Else: Dandy Nichols
Mike: Anthony Booth
Rita: Una Stubbs

22.15 : THE NEWS
with Richard Baker followed by THE WEATHER
Contributors

Unknown: Richard Baker

22.25 : F.A. CUP SPECIAL
David Coleman reports on today's
F.A. CUP
Third Round
Out cf the 430 Clubs who entered the F.A. Challenge Cup Competition this season, sixty-four remain today to play in this the third round, where the Third and Fourth Division and non-League Clubs are joined by the giants of the First and Second Divisions.
Kenneth Wolstenholme , David Coleman and Alan Weeks report with outside broadcast cameras on three of today's exciting Cup ties.
Television presentation by John McGonagle. Roy Norton
Richard Tilling and Brian Venner Produced by ALEC WEEKS
Contributors

Unknown: Kenneth Wolstenholme
Unknown: Alan Weeks
Presentation By: John McGonagle.
Presentation By: Roy Norton
Presentation By: Richard Tilling
Presentation By: Brian Venner
Produced By: Alec Weeks

23.15 : BRADEN'S WEEK
Each week
25,000 tons of newsprint
50 hours of news bulletins
One man
BERNARD BRADEN and his team
John Pitman , Esther Rantzen take a look at some of the things that happened-and some of the things that didn't
Song of the week: Jake Thackray
Children of the week:
Harold Williamson
Designer, Don Giles Director, TOM CONWAY
Producer, JOHN LLOYD
Edited by DESMOND WILCOX and BILL MORTON
Contributors

Unknown: Bernard Braden
Unknown: John Pitman
Unknown: Esther Rantzen
Unknown: Jake Thackray
Designer: Don Giles
Director: Tom Conway
Producer: John Lloyd
Edited By: Desmond Wilcox
Edited By: Bill Morton

23.45 : THE WEATHER MAN
Close Down

Thanks for that Soul man. I am not too keen on what those times are, but the breathe of programming seems quite interesting. I can remember watching and interview the Prince Andrew gave while giving a tour of Windsor Castle I believe. He and I are the same age and he was remembering how crazy he was over Dr. Who when he was growing. It being his favorite program. For us, it might have been Batman. LOL

mr soul
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Marv2...Did you notice Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show...Batman was/is my favourite, in fact I treated myself to the just released blu-ray DVD box set for Christmas.

marv2
02-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Marv2...Did you notice Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show...Batman was/is my favourite, in fact I treated myself to the just released blu-ray DVD box set for Christmas.

I did miss that the first time I scanned it. Wow! I didn't even know Lulu had a show. I had a crush on her when To Sir With Love came out. LOL!

soulster
02-02-2015, 10:01 PM
By the way, we also need to tell these young folk that a quantity of records is not called 'vinyls' but they are still 'vinyl'! Far too often I hear and see the word 'vinyls' when referring to more than one disc. "I've been playing more vinyls recently." It's plural noun - a shepherd doesn't have 50 sheeps!

Amen! That annoys me bigtime! The scientific community uses the term
"vinyls" when discussing various types of vinyl, but, even then, it is used improperly.

soulster
02-02-2015, 10:08 PM
But, I have a different issue with aging, and that is when among my own age group, and older, I don't feel like I am part of their generation. We were talking about television earlier. I lived through all that, so there is that shared experience. But, I also identify with the younger generations with most things. I will not, and cannot, blame society's ills on the youth, especially when I know how messed up their parents are. Why are their parents messed up? Because our baby-boom generation raised them! The chain goes on down the line. So, the next time you all feel the need to dump on the "kids" for their embrace of technology, their music, movies, ethics, morality, whatever, look at the man in the mirror.

marv2
02-02-2015, 10:44 PM
But, I have a different issue with aging, and that is when among my own age group, and older, I don't feel like I am part of their generation. We were talking about television earlier. I lived through all that, so there is that shared experience. But, I also identify with the younger generations with most things. I will not, and cannot, blame society's ills on the youth, especially when I know how messed up their parents are. Why are their parents messed up? Because our baby-boom generation raised them! The chain goes on down the line. So, the next time you all feel the need to dump on the "kids" for their embrace of technology, their music, movies, ethics, morality, whatever, look at the man in the mirror.

I have to disagree. The Baby Boomers, we were/are great! We weren't just consumers, we stood up and made a difference without any real previous role models [[Anti-War Movement, Civil Rights Movement, Women's Rights Movement,etc.) just to name a few ...............those were OURS!

soulster
02-02-2015, 11:25 PM
I have to disagree. The Baby Boomers, we were/are great! We weren't just consumers, we stood up and made a difference without any real previous role models [[Anti-War Movement, Civil Rights Movement, Women's Rights Movement,etc.) just to name a few ...............those were OURS! Bullshit! Everyone has role models, and the baby-boomers rejected theirs! That is why they led in the civil rights, anti-war, womens lib, and the counter-culture. You should be glad we rejected out role models!

marv2
02-03-2015, 01:37 AM
Bullshit! Everyone has role models, and the baby-boomers rejected theirs! That is why they led in the civil rights, anti-war, womens lib, and the counter-culture. You should be glad we rejected out role models!

Nope you're wrong. I sat for nearly 2 hours at a business breakfast and listen to Tom Brokaw drone on and on about "America's Greatest Generation". He was referring to my grandparents generation. The ones that went through the Depression, WWII, built Levittown, etc. and did what they were told to do! These were the parents of the Baby Boom generation and they had very little in common. They were hardly role models for those coming of age in the 60s and 70s! There were no broad-based role models for the counter culture generation. That is why the term "Generation Gap" became popular.

soulster
02-03-2015, 05:14 AM
Nope you're wrong. I sat for nearly 2 hours at a business breakfast and listen to Tom Brokaw drone on and on about "America's Greatest Generation". He was referring to my grandparents generation. The ones that went through the Depression, WWII, built Levittown, etc. and did what they were told to do! These were the parents of the Baby Boom generation and they had very little in common. They were hardly role models for those coming of age in the 60s and 70s! There were no broad-based role models for the counter culture generation. That is why the term "Generation Gap" became popular. Yes, they were told what to do, but, their children didn't listen. If you look at the definition of "role model", it is that they served as models for how to be, positive or negative. The boomers didn't follow them. But, eventually, most of us turn out like our parents anyway because of how we were nurtured.

That "silent generation" didn't do that good of a job. Just because they lived through a depression and went to war means nothing.

144man
02-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Don't old folks care about the present?

I was referring to education in schools. Even though we had record players in the 60s, we were taught in school about cylinders and wind-up phonograms.

marv2
02-03-2015, 06:31 PM
I was referring to education in schools. Even though we had record players in the 60s, we were taught in school about cylinders and wind-up phonograms.

That is so true! We also learned about artists from the 20s,30s and 40s!

144man
02-03-2015, 06:39 PM
That is so true! We also learned about artists from the 20s,30s and 40s!

In some respects, I envy my parents' generation. In the pre-television era, because they only had access to 4 BBC radio stations, they shared a common culture. There is so much choice in broadcasting nowadays that it has resulted in society becoming more fragmented.

ralpht
02-03-2015, 07:55 PM
When I first started this post I had no idea it would evolve the way it has. Very interesting gang. A good conversation.

marv2
02-03-2015, 08:18 PM
In some respects, I envy my parents' generation. In the pre-television era, because they only had access to 4 BBC radio stations, they shared a common culture. There is so much choice in broadcasting nowadays that it has resulted in society becoming more fragmented.

You are right on the money once more 144man. You see, I can remember in the days when we had fever viewing choices most of all the kids in school would be talking about the same show or shows we all watched the night before. Here in America, EVERYONE seemed to watch "The Ed Sullivan Show" on Sunday nights. The next day all the kids could discuss something we all had in common. Not now, not no way, not no how! 500 channels and still nothing on them. Add in the internet and music downloading, everything is very customized, individualized to the point that we no longer share common memories.

Bokiluis
02-03-2015, 08:28 PM
When I first started this post I had no idea it would evolve the way it has. Very interesting gang. A good conversation.

Even the iPod is beginning to loose its hold on the public, as more and more people multi-task on their cellphones.

That said, though I proudly identify as a "child of Motown", I have become so dependent on the various evolutions of mobile music player, I wonder what I did on my first cross country trip to New York without any source of music whatsoever.

And as great mobile music players have become to our lives, we are losing the ability to have a live one on one conversation. That's becoming a lost art, the minute a plane lands 75% of passengers are reaching for their cellphones.

soulster
02-03-2015, 11:47 PM
I was referring to education in schools. Even though we had record players in the 60s, we were taught in school about cylinders and wind-up phonograms. heh! maybe YOU were! How old are you again?

soulster
02-03-2015, 11:50 PM
That is so true! We also learned about artists from the 20s,30s and 40s! When I was in music, and later in band, they didn't teach us about the people who made the music, they just taught the music itself. In Jr. High and High school band, we played music that was from our own time frame of life, starting in about 1960 forward. If it wasn't classical music in marching and concert band, it was pop/rock/jazz in jazz ensemble. That meant stuff like The Beatles, Cliff Nobels, & Co., Jesus Christ Superstar, Chicago, Billy Joel, MFSB, Carpenters, Maynard Ferguson, Herbie Hancock, and the like.

robb_k
02-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Bear in mind that in the UK, we had only three channels until 1982, which isn’t really that long ago. Channel 4 launched in 1982, then Channel 5 in 1997, by which time Sky had entered the fray. And sometimes I think there was more worth watching when we had less choice than now...

I’m not really a gadget man, having resisted the lure of CD’s until a good five years after they launched, but I was one of the first in my village to have a Sony Walkman – I got some funny looks down my local when I walked in with that. Anytime I get anything new these days I have to get my son or daughter to programme it for me, including getting the time right on my phone!

In The Netherlands we had only 30 hours of programming per WEEK, as late as 1962, and only 2 channels until 1982, when Sky Channel and Superchannel came in.When TV first started, it was only on sporadically, for an hour or 2 in early evening. When cable came in, all night TV started then. It was pretty much the same in Denmark and Sweden, Germany started some commercial TV alongside the government supported channels a little earlier. But TV in Europe was very limited compared to what was on the airwaves in USA and Canada.

arr&bee
02-04-2015, 07:50 PM
You wanna get a laugh?tell a youngster about[black and white tv]and see the looks you get,priceless,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

westgrandboulevard
02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
They think 'vertical hold' and 'horizontal hold' are wrestling terms....

marv2
02-04-2015, 08:26 PM
When I was in music, and later in band, they didn't teach us about the people who made the music, they just taught the music itself. In Jr. High and High school band, we played music that was from our own time frame of life, starting in about 1960 forward. If it wasn't classical music in marching and concert band, it was pop/rock/jazz in jazz ensemble. That meant stuff like The Beatles, Cliff Nobels, & Co., Jesus Christ Superstar, Chicago, Billy Joel, MFSB, Carpenters, Maynard Ferguson, Herbie Hancock, and the like.

No, we had to do reports on people like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Bessie Smith, etc.

marv2
02-04-2015, 08:28 PM
In The Netherlands we had only 30 hours of programming per WEEK, as late as 1962, and only 2 channels until 1982, when Sky Channel and Superchannel came in.When TV first started, it was only on sporadically, for an hour or 2 in early evening. When cable came in, all night TV started then. It was pretty much the same in Denmark and Sweden, Germany started some commercial TV alongside the government supported channels a little earlier. But TV in Europe was very limited compared to what was on the airwaves in USA and Canada.

That sounds a bit severe Robb. Only two channels by 1982? For the entire country? There were no pirate stations like there were in radio?

Bokiluis
02-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Bullshit! Everyone has role models, and the baby-boomers rejected theirs! That is why they led in the civil rights, anti-war, womens lib, and the counter-culture. You should be glad we rejected out role models!

Out of those times, the seeds of the digital age was borne by self identified hippies like the late Steve Jobs. The birth of organic foods by visionaries like the conflicted CEO of Whole Foods. Thanks to the hippies, men's fashions expanded from the drab blue and brown suits with the birth of Tom Ford, Yves St. Laurent, Giorgio Armani who would all add flair to their colorful, stylish "designer addicted" haberdashery.
Women freed themselves from the shackles of domestic predictability and would also become CEOs [[though heaven knows with women still paid .77 cents on the dollar, we still have a way to go) Prime Ministers and soon, President of the U.S.A.!

soulster
02-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Right on Bokiluis!

Jerry Oz
02-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Why did the old 'Family Ties' show just pop into my head, where the former hippy parents had the ultra-conservative, far-right leaning teenage son [[Michael J. Fox)?

144man
02-05-2015, 02:50 PM
In the last UK General Election, only half of voters under 25 bothered to register to vote, whereas nearly all of pensioners did. It's obvious who the politicians are going to listen to.

Hotspurman
02-06-2015, 10:40 AM
You wanna get a laugh?tell a youngster about[black and white tv]and see the looks you get,priceless,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

My aunt, who is nearly 70 I think, still works for a major tour company [[Kuoni). As such she is seldom in the country for long, usually just enough time to wash and clean her clothes and pack ready for the next excursion. Similarly, she doesn’t have much time for the usual home comforts. She has a television, but only a black and white set! Every year she goes through the same argument with the television licensing organisation, who simply refuse to believe that in this day and age, any one could still have a black and white television and require a black and white licence [[although their own figures show that there are still some 28,000 homes around the country with a simple black and white set).
The cost of a black and white licence is £49 per annum, compared with £145 for a colour licence. On more than one occasion, she has invited the licensing investigators into her home to check her set and make sure that it is not capable of receiving a colour picture.

arr&bee
02-06-2015, 03:16 PM
That's amazing,nothing wrong with a good ol[black and white tv]i actually have one but it's one of the 5inch screens analoge models but i'm keeping it for old times sake....maybe i'm just and old fuddy duddy but all this techno this and that is a bit much,yes i know this is a new century and we're moving at a breakneck pace,but i long for the days when we moved a little slower and enjoyed it more.

soulster
02-06-2015, 03:45 PM
My aunt, who is nearly 70 I think, still works for a major tour company [[Kuoni). As such she is seldom in the country for long, usually just enough time to wash and clean her clothes and pack ready for the next excursion. Similarly, she doesn’t have much time for the usual home comforts. She has a television, but only a black and white set! Every year she goes through the same argument with the television licensing organisation, who simply refuse to believe that in this day and age, any one could still have a black and white television and require a black and white licence [[although their own figures show that there are still some 28,000 homes around the country with a simple black and white set).
The cost of a black and white licence is £49 per annum, compared with £145 for a colour licence. On more than one occasion, she has invited the licensing investigators into her home to check her set and make sure that it is not capable of receiving a colour picture.

You have to have a license for a TV in the U.K.???

westgrandboulevard
02-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Oh yes, £145.50 for colour, £49.00 for b&w. The BBC is authorised to collect licence payments. Annual licence needs to be paid even if you don't have a TV set, but watch programmes online as they are transmitted....

It's free, if you are 75 years or older. Right now, I'll pay the licence.....:rolleyes:

robb_k
02-06-2015, 09:15 PM

The Belgian Superchannel was the "pirate TV station". The Sky Channel came in in 1983. Before then one could get Nederland1 and Nederland 2, and the Belgian public channels [[1 and 2), plus the Belgian French channels [[if you undersood French well enough). In the east and northeast one could also pick up nearby German channels[[3 or 4), if you understood German well enough.

soulster
02-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Oh yes, £145.50 for colour, £49.00 for b&w. The BBC is authorised to collect licence payments. Annual licence needs to be paid even if you don't have a TV set, but watch programmes online as they are transmitted....

It's free, if you are 75 years or older. Right now, I'll pay the licence.....:rolleyes:

Wow!Here in the U.S., it's no one's business if you have a TV or not. No fees or licenses whatsoever. Now, if you want to watch cable or satellite, you'll pay the provider.

westgrandboulevard
02-07-2015, 05:36 AM
In simple terms, my understanding is that licence money has always gone to the BBC, which was initially our only broadcaster [[it is currently the oldest national and also the largest broadcasting employer in the world), before Independent Television commercial network [[ITV) began in 1955.

The BBC raises funds from licence money, ITV raises funds from advertising.

soulster
02-07-2015, 10:32 AM
In simple terms, my understanding is that licence money has always gone to the BBC, which was initially our only broadcaster [[it is currently the oldest national and also the largest broadcasting employer in the world), before Independent Television commercial network [[ITV) began in 1955.

The BBC raises funds from licence money, ITV raises funds from advertising. So, is the BBC state run or subsidized?

westgrandboulevard
02-07-2015, 11:58 AM
To me, the BBC seems a complicated set-up, so I'm not sure if the following is satisfactorily addressing your question...but here goes....

Ask the average Briton, and they would probably say it is state run, via the government. That said, it does appear to be run as a public corporation, perhaps technically owned by the taxpayer. There are shareholders. It is held in trust for the public by the BBC Trust, and funded in the main by the income from licence payers [[about 75% of total income?), and also by the commercial arm, [[BBC Worldwide Limited) which sells the BBC programmes overseas.

If you've not already done so, try googling the BBC website. Also BBC Wikipedia, which I've studied. It might not, of course, be totally accurate, but does give many details about the operations of the BBC, and might be of interest, especially the more technical details.

Jerry Oz
02-07-2015, 02:47 PM
With the exception of the shareholders, it sounds a lot like the United States Postal Service. I'm curious as to how there can be compulsory public contribution for an entity that has shareholders. That sounds like a great racket if you can get in on it.

westgrandboulevard
02-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I guess a Trust always has to have shareholders - ? How much they gain financially from their input [[if there actually is any....) is another story, and you wouldn't be the first to make that comment....:rolleyes:

I expect many/most/all of the shareholders are [[like us) in the 'Getting Old Department', so we're still on point here!

arr&bee
02-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Gee i feel like turning on the tele and watching some good old fashioned black and white westerns.

Jerry Oz
02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
As opposed to the modern Black vs. White police drama that seems to play on the news every night?

marv2
02-08-2015, 04:08 AM
Gee i feel like turning on the tele and watching some good old fashioned black and white westerns.

Rawhide.....yeah!

westgrandboulevard
02-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Laramie, Bonanza....:)

splanky
02-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Most of those old televison programs are available on dvds sold online or stocked by public
libraries. I remember enjoying Gunsmoke and Bonanza growing up too. I'm sure most of us
have memories of things, shows and stuff no longer popular or in many cases, no longer in
existence. I can live with that for the most part; what choice do I have? Someone once said
you should surrender youth gracefully...I've kinda spent much of the last 15 or so years going
kicking and screaming:)...But I'm okay with stuff now. I don't care that the young like my
knuckle headed nephew have never experienced things I've treasured or will never appreciate the music I love. It's not about me or my time anymore. Never really was in the
bigger picture. We're born. We live. We die. I just wanna enjoy whatever I still can while I'm
above ground. I don't feel the need to chase every technological "advancement" either, not
every change is a real improvement. I will say I do love having access to the internet because I love streaming radio stations, reading blogs and being able to find tons of new
as well as old, out of print music. Too, thank goodness for youtube where I can watch
tv shows I used to enjoy if I want or concerts I never did or could attend...

MIKEW-UK
02-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Whilst we pay for a licence for BBC services, we have no advertising and commercial interruptions in our programs, no external pressures by commercial interests and advertisers, and as best as can be managed, editorial freedom and no political pressures. With a charter to broadcast a wide range of "quality content" as opposed to chasing ratings, many but not all of us are happy to pay the licence fee which is perhaps trivial compared to many other expenses in life. The anomaly is that you pay the licence even if you choose to watch only non BBC channels!

westgrandboulevard
02-10-2015, 08:15 AM
...and we are told that vans from the TV Detector Unit are monitoring our viewing habits, and are able to detect if a licence has not been paid for individual residences. These vans are shrouded in mystery. I don't recall ever seeing one. I think it was once reported that no-one has yet been prosecuted for the offence of watching TV without a licence, although I can't confirm that.

I can confirm that my partner and myself had a TV in the workroom of our previous business premises, and would often have the TV on while we were working. In our current premises, we have no workroom, and a TV was felt not to be required. Four years ago we advised TV Licensing of that, with the understanding that we must not watch live TV online.

Only last week did we receive a notification asking us to confirm online that we are still not using a TV...but that we may receive a visit, to check......:rolleyes:

Hotspurman
02-10-2015, 01:13 PM
Only the other day, the House of Lords voted to retain the current law where it is a criminal offence to view a television without a valid licence. The current penalty is a court appearance and a fine of up to £1,000, not including legal costs. The exceptions are in Guernsey where the maximum fine is £2,000 and Jersey where it is £500. The licence and fine is ridiculous on so many levels – it raises £4 billion for the BBC, who then proceed to waste most of it [[in my opinion), and your children when they head off to university or college are also required to obtain their own licence!

Hotspurman
02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
You have to have a license for a TV in the U.K.???

Technically, you also need a licence for a radio, but that is included in your television licence fee.

soulster
02-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Wow. Just...wow.

144man
02-10-2015, 06:58 PM
We won't miss the BBC until it's gone.

nosey
02-20-2015, 02:01 PM
A little girl came into theoffice one day and saw a typewriter and said, "what's that?"

marv2
02-20-2015, 03:58 PM
A little girl came into theoffice one day and saw a typewriter and said, "what's that?"

Nosey remember the Memograph machine? How about the Bell & Howell movie projectors? LOL!

Jerry Oz
02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
I still have an analog land telephone line in spite of the phone company trying hard to get me to go cellular or digital. At some point, I'll have to switch because they're about to stop repairing the infrastructure in the US.

I also pay 90% of my retail transactions with cash, which seems to surprise some of the cashiers. And I suspect that I'm in the minority by doing most of my browsing on a PC instead of a laptop, phone or tablet. The good news about all of it is that I can fall off the grid with relative ease if I suddenly need to 'disappear'.

soulster
02-20-2015, 08:34 PM
I also pay 90% of my retail transactions with cash, which seems to surprise some of the cashiers. And I suspect that I'm in the minority by doing most of my browsing on a PC instead of a laptop, phone or tablet. The good news about all of it is that I can fall off the grid with relative ease if I suddenly need to 'disappear'.

Cash isn't so bad. I'm shocked when old people still write checks!

I do most of my browsing on a PC and laptop. I gave my tablet to my sister. I have a smartphone, but rarely use it for the internet.

I hope you have an old car, because if you have something like Sirius/XM, a navigational system, or OnStar, they can track you, anyway.

Jerry Oz
02-20-2015, 11:23 PM
They can track me by On Star in my truck, even though I don't subscribe. My other car is a 1991 Honda, though.

robb_k
02-21-2015, 11:09 PM
I still have an analog land telephone line in spite of the phone company trying hard to get me to go cellular or digital. At some point, I'll have to switch because they're about to stop repairing the infrastructure in the US.

Same for me with analog phone with wire to the wall. I only got my first mobile phone about 1.5 years ago. I have an old-style mobile phone -not a smart phone. I don't play games on it nor use The Internet. I don't have a tablet. I use a huge I-Mac tabletop for my Internet cruising, except when I travel. Then I use a big MacBook with the biggest screen [[I hate small screens). I ALWAYS use cash. I use no heating in my housein The Netherlands -even in mid winter [[just blankets and clothing. Same in my house in USA, and my flat in Munich, Germany, and in the guest house I stay in Denmark. I don't have a car in Europe.I have a car in USA, but drive it less than 3,000 miles per year. When I was a kid, no one had TVs in their house. We didn't have dryers for our old, round washing machines. We hung clothes on the lines out in the back yard, to dry in the wind. We shoveled coal into a furnace in the basement for forced heat, and burned trash in an incinerator. We didn't have garbage disposals. Our house had an ice box [[cabinet with metal "safe door" to store food next to a large ice block that was delivered by the ice man in a horse-pulled wagon. I used a 1938 Olympia typewriter with wafer-top keys. We read comic books. We had a 1939 Canadian Mercury. My parents had a Garrard 78 phonograph. My first of my own was a 1955 Garrard 78/33/45 adaptable turntable.

marv2
02-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Same for me with analog phone with wire to the wall. I only got my first mobile phone about 1.5 years ago. I have an old-style mobile phone -not a smart phone. I don't play games on it nor use The Internet. I don't have a tablet. I use a huge I-Mac tabletop for my Internet cruising, except when I travel. Then I use a big MacBook with the biggest screen [[I hate small screens). I ALWAYS use cash. I use no heating in my housein The Netherlands -even in mid winter [[just blankets and clothing. Same in my house in USA, and my flat in Munich, Germany, and in the guest house I stay in Denmark. I don't have a car in Europe.I have a car in USA, but drive it less than 3,000 miles per year. When I was a kid, no one had TVs in their house. We didn't have dryers for our old, round washing machines. We hung clothes on the lines out in the back yard, to dry in the wind. We shoveled coal into a furnace in the basement for forced heat, and burned trash in an incinerator. We didn't have garbage disposals. Our house had an ice box [[cabinet with metal "safe door" to store food next to a large ice block that was delivered by the ice man in a horse-pulled wagon. I used a 1938 Olympia typewriter with wafer-top keys. We read comic books. We had a 1939 Canadian Mercury. My parents had a Garrard 78 phonograph. My first of my own was a 1955 Garrard 78/33/45 adaptable turntable.

Amazing Robb! I wished I could say half of what you did especially driving no more than 3,000 miles a year! I bet your lifestyle is healthier than 70% of the US.

detmotownguy
02-23-2015, 12:18 AM
Robb_k thanks for sharing. I have one house completely off the grid but it is a lot of work to keep warm. Kinda nice tho to check out of mainstream life for a spell. Also don't have to listen or read the headlines abt the Karsashians [[sp).

robb_k
02-23-2015, 01:37 AM
The one downside to having no heat is that none of my friends like visiting me in late fall, winter and early spring. So, it's good that I spend December and January at my sister's in Winnipeg [[and yes, they have central heating [[you couldn't survive the winter there without it [[even in these times of Global Warming). And I spend February through April in L.A. [[no heat EVER needed there!). So, I only have friends avoid sleeping and spending evenings at my place in The Netherlands during late October and November. But I share walls on one side with my neighbour. So their heating provides some heat, so it doesn't get below about 40 degrees F [[which is roughly the temperature I like for sleeping)-so no problem. I've always like cold [[good thing when one lives in Manitoba), and thought my metabolism would change when I grow old, and I'd be uncomfortable in it, and like it warmer. But, I'm 68 now, and that never happened.

I wish I could not have a car. But, living part-time in L.A. makes that impossible. I'd have to start 2 days early to get anywhere on a bus. So nice of the oil companies and tire companies to buy the rapid transit system and tear it down. The new light train system is nice, but there are only a few lines, and don't go where I need to go [[although, after 20 years, they are finally constructing a section of a line that is reaching my neighbourhood [[just as I am planning to leave L.A.! Wouldn't you know it?)

I also never used heat when I lived in San Francisco. But heat from the 2 flats around me kept my flat plenty warm enough. I kept my windows open even in the winter. The great thing there is that there are almost no insects, so you don't need window screens. Europe doesn't have them in most places, but you need them there in summer [[except near the ocean).

robb_k
02-23-2015, 01:44 AM
Amazing Robb! I wished I could say half of what you did especially driving no more than 3,000 miles a year! I bet your lifestyle is healthier than 70% of the US.
I just ride a bicycle, even from city to city [[within 100 miles or so), For longer trips I take a train. I'd love to ride my bicycle in L.A. on the streets. I have one there too. But, I daren't ride there for transportation, as I'd surely be killed. The only place that's safe to ride there is within small, isolated suburban neighbourhoods on small streets, or on the coastal bikeway. But I'd have to drive my bike to it, and then ride for exercise only. I'd like to use it in my daily life doing what I need to do [[as I do in Europe).

marv2
02-23-2015, 01:58 AM
I just ride a bicycle, even from city to city [[within 100 miles or so), For longer trips I take a train. I'd love to ride my bicycle in L.A. on the streets. I have one there too. But, I daren't ride there for transportation, as I'd surely be killed. The only place that's safe to ride there is within small, isolated suburban neighbourhoods on small streets, or on the coastal bikeway. But I'd have to drive my bike to it, and then ride for exercise only. I'd like to use it in my daily life doing what I need to do [[as I do in Europe).

I have nightmares of me trying to ride my bike across Manhattan to get to the West side. It would be Murder She Wrote.......instantly! LOL! If I lived in Montreal, I would ride it everyday between May and September. I really admire that you ride like you do.

robb_k
02-23-2015, 02:39 AM
I have nightmares of me trying to ride my bike across Manhattan to get to the West side. It would be Murder She Wrote.......instantly! LOL! If I lived in Montreal, I would ride it everyday between May and September. I really admire that you ride like you do.
I don't think I'd ride a bike in New York, or Chicago or Detroit, or just about any big city in USA. I did used to ride in the South Suburbs in the Chicago Area as a teenager, and in Winnipeg, as a kid, but that was long ago, when there were less cars, and less crazy drivers, and a lot less lawbreakers and speeders.

Jerry Oz
02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Columbus has created bike paths that literally span the city and there are more bike lanes on downtown streets. Some brave souls [[read: idiots) even ride them in the winter. The city has the most interesting split between fit and fat citizens imaginable.

arr&bee
02-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Columbus had a bike???

soulster
02-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Well, you all can get old if you want. I'l stay as young as I can.

Jerry Oz
02-23-2015, 10:25 PM
My pops makes a point to tell me that I don't want to be 79 years old. I make a point to ask him what my options are.

robb_k
02-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Columbus has created bike paths that literally span the city and there are more bike lanes on downtown streets. Some brave souls [[read: idiots) even ride them in the winter. The city has the most interesting split between fit and fat citizens imaginable.
Riding a bike on ice is a bad idea.

Once upon a time, long ago, [[during The '60s in Den Haag) I rode in a non-perpendicular orientation slanted across a tram track in a sleet storm, just as the temperature dropped a couple degrees below freezing. [[when I was young and very foolish, I thought I was invincible). The front wheel slid sharply along the railing, and sent the bike [[with me on it) sailing high into the air. I landed several metres ahead, bouncing squarely on my knee. I was extremely lucky to just end up with an extremely painful "stinger", as opposed to having shattered my kneecap to bits. Needless to say, I don't ride my brother-in-laws extra bike, when
I visit Winnipeg each winter.

Jerry Oz
02-24-2015, 03:19 AM
That recount only proves that we were indeed invincible when we were young, robb_k. Sadly, we know that is no longer true.

arr&bee
02-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Hey remember when we would go up as high as we could on the swing and then jump off,try that today and you'll need both knees replaced,hehehehe.

ralpht
02-24-2015, 07:02 PM
And it is just that, arr&bee, that probably contributed to a hip replacement a few years back.

Jerry Oz
02-24-2015, 08:12 PM
I remember when shooting a basketball didn't feel like I was hoisting a sack of cement at the rim. I also remember yelling at the old guy to hustle up and get back on defense before the youngsters started saying the same thing to me.

Hotspurman
02-25-2015, 06:43 AM
I still play football [[soccer) on a weekly basis, even though I’m now 57. I also still take my turn in goal, usually for longer than I did a few years back, in order to catch my breath! One thing I don’t do as much these days is dive around – I could probably get down to a shot, I’m just not that sure I’d be able to get up again!

westgrandboulevard
02-25-2015, 07:20 AM
There was a recent internet feature which advised sitting cross-legged on the floor and then attempting to raise yourself to a standing position, but without use of your hands.

If able to do that, the results from research indicated that you should have at least another 10 years to live.

I'm not entirely sure if that advice is helpful, or not......:confused:

marv2
02-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Hey remember when we would go up as high as we could on the swing and then jump off,try that today and you'll need both knees replaced,hehehehe.

We did that too. We also use to try make the swing go over the top of the bar and come back down on the other side.........while we were in the swing! LOL! Try that today and some adult, somewhere is getting arrested for child neglect!

marv2
02-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Check this out everyone:

http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hage5.html

humor collection about aging, age, getting older
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED
The 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Jerry Oz
02-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Marv, that describes my childhood almost to a T. The only thing that I would add is that I knew better than to mess up in school or my neighborhood because my parents would find out what I did from the teacher or folks who lived in the three-block area around my house. And unlike today, instead of yelling at them for 'picking on' their kid, they'd thank them for letting them know and I took a whooping when I got home.

Curiously, the belts and switches didn't result in an unloving, violent, introvert with trust issues. I love my parents as much as ever and I'm grateful for every form of discipline [[not just spanking, BTW) that they ever gave me because I wouldn't have made it without learning boundaries and the consequences of stepping beyond them.

marv2
02-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Marv, that describes my childhood almost to a T. The only thing that I would add is that I knew better than to mess up in school or my neighborhood because my parents would find out what I did from the teacher or folks who lived in the three-block area around my house. And unlike today, instead of yelling at them for 'picking on' their kid, they'd thank them for letting them know and I took a whooping when I got home.

Curiously, the belts and switches didn't result in an unloving, violent, introvert with trust issues. I love my parents as much as ever and I'm grateful for every form of discipline [[not just spanking, BTW) that they ever gave me because I wouldn't have made it without learning boundaries and the consequences of stepping beyond them.

Ditto and double ditto about everything you just said! Even with the discipline, we, I was closer to my father and mother than any people on Earth. We could tell our father about any and everything we wanted to talk about. At the same time he allowed us to be boys! He did not leave us completely to our own devices because he knew we, along with many of our buddies in the neighborhood had the capacity to destroy things, LOL!

Jerry Oz
02-26-2015, 01:39 PM
My mom took care of the discipline with us. For the record, she never left a bruise or caused us to bleed [[like Adrian Peterson). The painful part was knowing she disapproved. And we told Mom pretty much everything without fear of judgment or reprisal.

One more thing as far as 'getting old', my parents toughed it out through some pretty fierce storms as I was growing up. They hung in there when it would have been easy to give up. It's no coincidence that among my cousins, my siblings and I are in the most stable marriages.

arr&bee
02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Amen jerry,my dear mom laid down the law too,i didn't cut up much because i knew there was no hiding place...god bless her forever.

marv2
02-26-2015, 07:21 PM
My mother and father were a tag-team duo. If you had to get it before 3 pm on weekdays, she took care of it. If it was required in the evenings or weekends, my dad did the discipline. It was something major we got the warning...."wait till your father gets home!" LOL!!!

arr&bee
02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
What some folks may not understand is that the old folks did talk first in most cases,but they only told you once.

Jerry Oz
02-27-2015, 03:33 PM
And parents didn't giggle when their kids used foul language. More often than not, the kid would learn in a swift and straightforward way not to talk like that again.

marv2
02-27-2015, 04:27 PM
What some folks may not understand is that the old folks did talk first in most cases,but they only told you once.

Then they would lower the boom!

marv2
02-27-2015, 04:29 PM
And parents didn't giggle when their kids used foul language. More often than not, the kid would learn in a swift and straightforward way not to talk like that again.

You learned that they loved you, cared for you, worked for you.........but they were not your buddy and were not supposed to be.

MotownSteve
02-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Hi Marv,
Thanks for posting that. I remember seeing it years ago and wanted to get my eyes on it again.

marv2
02-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi Marv,
Thanks for posting that. I remember seeing it years ago and wanted to get my eyes on it again.

You are most welcome Steve. Every word of it is true.......................

arr&bee
02-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Remember when mom would get so mad that she started talking to herself...you must think that i'm kidding with you well you about to find out i'm not....you were dead meat at that point...i rememeber looking over at dad for help but dad had left the room.

marv2
02-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Remember when mom would get so mad that she started talking to herself...you must think that i'm kidding with you well you about to find out i'm not....you were dead meat at that point...i rememeber looking over at dad for help but dad had left the room.

oh yeah, my mom and aunts had a habit of doing that when they were angry. LOL!

arr&bee
02-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Remember when mom told you to go get one of your dad's belt for your whipping and you cussed your dad under your breath because he didn't have any skinny belts.

RTA6226
03-01-2015, 02:53 AM
I remember at a college where I worked a few years ago, I was asked to be one of the presenters at an orientation workshop for incoming freshmen. Somehow the subject of finances came up and one of the students asked what my friends and I spent our money on when we were college students. When I said cassettes, they looked at me really funny and I heard a couple of snickers. When I said 8-track tapes several of them asked in unison, "WHAT are 8-track tapes?" I guess they'd think I was born with the dinosaurs and wrote in Egyptian Hieroglyphics if they knew the first recorder my parents got for me was the Wollensak reel-to-reel. ;)

soulster
03-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Remember when mom told you to go get one of your dad's belt for your whipping and you cussed your dad under your breath because he didn't have any skinny belts.
Trust me, the skinny belts were worse!

Jerry Oz
03-01-2015, 03:16 PM
I remember at a college where I worked a few years ago, I was asked to be one of the presenters at an orientation workshop for incoming freshmen. Somehow the subject of finances came up and one of the students asked what my friends and I spent our money on when we were college students. When I said cassettes, they looked at me really funny and I heard a couple of snickers. When I said 8-track tapes several of them asked in unison, "WHAT are 8-track tapes?" I guess they'd think I was born with the dinosaurs and wrote in Egyptian Hieroglyphics if they knew the first recorder my parents got for me was the Wollensak reel-to-reel. ;)Man, I really wanted to get my dad's old Bell & Howell reel-to-reel repaired when I was in high school but never had the dough with which to do it. And the only format of music that I think I never had was 78 rpm vinyl records.

Jerry Oz
03-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Trust me, the skinny belts were worse!
We had a mulberry bush behind our house and had to get our own switches for Mom. We had to make sure we got a good one because it only got worse if she had to do it after we brought back a little twig.

ralpht
03-01-2015, 03:19 PM
The very first record I bought was a 78 non vinyl breakable type. You Saw Me Crying In The Chapel....Can't remember the artist though.

marv2
03-01-2015, 04:06 PM
The very first record I bought was a 78 non vinyl breakable type. You Saw Me Crying In The Chapel....Can't remember the artist though.

Ralph, was it Sonny Til & the Orioles?

ralpht
03-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Nope. Apparently there were three releases on three different labels over time. Got this info from a nephew who is a walking encyclopedia of record biz info. My record was a single singer. A white guy. My nephew had given me the name but I forgot it.

mr soul
03-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Ralph was it this version, the original by Darrell Glenn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfZmTe3xAs

ralpht
03-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Yes, that is it. Thank you Mr. Soul.

detmotownguy
03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
oh yeah, my mom and aunts had a habit of doing that when they were angry. LOL!
These coddled little xxxxxxx today could not make in my day. I remember all the moms had the other moms phone number on the wall and would offer behaviors reports! They always knew where we were at. The lady next door would call me by my first and last name when doing wrong [[she still lives in the same house). She is the last original left in the neighborhood). My dad and few others were on the auxiliary police dept. it went like this; Mom called dad at the office, then dad called his friends on the police dept. so they would send a car to drive real slow down the street to scare the shit outta us. In the end, we stayed away from drugs and other crimes, I Never ever ever drank and drove. Some of went to college; while others went to jail. Oh btw, my mother knew many self defense moves but also did modeling lol! She could twist my arm behind my back in a 2 secs.

robb_k
03-02-2015, 04:41 AM
There was a recent internet feature which advised sitting cross-legged on the floor and then attempting to raise yourself to a standing position, but without use of your hands.

If able to do that, the results from research indicated that you should have at least another 10 years to live.

I'm not entirely sure if that advice is helpful, or not......:confused:
I can still do that, and I recently ran the mile in 6 minutes and 23 seconds. I lift free weights every day, to keep from losing muscle tone. I'm 68 and a half, and I hope to live a LOT more than 10 more years. I haven't taken any medicine yet [[blood pressure and cholesterol is okay). And I hope to die in my sleep without having any illnesses and still having my mind intact, and having been fully mobile and able to take care of myself to the end [[that was the way my father went out at age 94 [[2 years ago)). His father had died at 96, and his mother was 97, but she was still walking 3 miles a day, and stopped eating, and died a few weeks later. She had gotten depressed from being alone from her generation, and her newly-acquired friends kept dying, one after another. I'm sure she could have lived to 105 years, easily. She had never been in hospital, even to have her 4 children. My mother died at 88, but she would have lived well into her 90s, if not over 100, had she not given up and decided just to lie in bed and do nothing her last 7 years. Her body turned to jelly and her mind to mush. She had been an agoraphobic all her life. Her mother died at 94.

So, I have good genes. If I don't ride my bicycle along on icy tram tracks, or walk in front of an oncoming bus, or argue vehemently on an Internet forum with the wrong troll, I should probably make at least 90.

arr&bee
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Wow robb,you're a marvel i ran ten feet the other day and had to spend the night in an oxigen tent[hehe]i lifted the weight of a glass from the table to my mouth and i'm still in traction...you're my hero.

robb_k
03-03-2015, 10:50 PM

Me too, Ralph! I also bought 78s first. I found "Money Honey" by The Drifters, "Sixty Minute Man" by The Dominoes, "Gee" by The Crows, "Ol' Man River" by The Ravens, and Sh-Boom by The Chords in a Salvation Army thrift store in 1954, when I was 8 years old. I paid 10¢ each! I had asked my parents to buy me my first records for my birthday in 1953, and had gotten A Flamingos, a Moonglows an Orioles and a Five Keys 78.

ralpht
03-03-2015, 11:10 PM
Robb,
I don't remember what I paid for those early 78s, but I'd guess about a quarter.

arr&bee
03-04-2015, 06:46 PM
One of my favorite things these days is finding the thrift stores and looking for vinyl[love it]you can find great stuff for[fifty cents]each most in mint condition.

robb_k
03-07-2015, 02:03 PM
One of my favorite things these days is finding the thrift stores and looking for vinyl[love it]you can find great stuff for[fifty cents]each most in mint condition.
Arr&Bee, THAT'S how I amassed my giant record collection [[from 1953 to 1972. But the thrift shops started to be cased regularly by the same collectors and even record dealers so much in the late '60s, that they all but dried up, unless you happened to be there on the day new records were put out. But, even if that happened there was almost nothing to find by 1968-69-70, because dealers and major collector/dealers were bribing thrift shop managers to get first look at new records that would come in. They were held back until the collector/dealers would come in to look at them.

I remember that famous DJ, music book author, record collector, Steve Propes was a truck driver for a pie company in the Long Beach, California Area. When I attended UCLA from 1965-1969, I used to have regular run-ins with him at thrift shops, junk stores and record shop bargain bins, fighting over records. Greater Long Beach, Wilmington, San Pedro and L.A.'s South Bay were "his territories". He used to give pies to all the store managers, so he could get "first look" at the records. That same situation was true in most urban areas.

Every once in a great while, if I see a thrift shop I go in to look at the records. I never see any records released before the 1970s that are even remotely in playable shape.

arr&bee
03-09-2015, 05:42 PM
I too see a downtrend in the quality of records at the thriftstore,but i can't beat the prices and i still find a gem every now and then and most stuff is in mint condition,i also see more folks in the vinyl section when i used to have it all to myself.