PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding ERNEST BURT [[Burt & Magic City Rec.)

test

Soulnight
01-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Hi,
I am new here and I am hoping that somebody can help me.
I am looking for information on Ernest Burt who ran the Burt and Magic City labels back in the 70s. There is one particular release of interest for me, I am Going Christmas Shopping by Horace Williams & Choker Campbell. All I know is that Choker Campbell is deceased. So I am wondering if anybody has more information on either Choker Campbell and/or Ernest Burt.

Thank you in advance!
Toby

robb_k
01-24-2015, 01:23 AM
For what type of information are you looking? Lots has been written about Choker Campbell, including his pre- Motown days, work with Motown, and his own record labels [[Tri-City and subsidiaries, Ultra-City and Moonville USA) which operated in the 1970s in Saginaw, Michigan.

I haven't seen much on Ernest Burt, other than he was a songwriter and, apparently, also a businessman, who operated in Detroit in the early and mid 1960s, who bought Wilbur Golden's Correc-Tone Studios [[at 8912 Grand River in Detroit) in 1966, and changed it's name to Magic City Studios, and started Magic City Records, and that he moved his operations from Detroit to Nashville in 1973, and founded Burt Records. I know nothing about his Nashville operations.

robb_k
01-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Nobody on this forum knows what happened to Burt after he left Detroit?

Soulnight
01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Hello there,
actually I am interested in licensing some songs from his catalog. Any help to get in touch with him and/or relatives would be so very much appreciated!
Thanks again,
Toby

robb_k
01-26-2015, 11:40 PM
I'd be surprised if anyone here still has contact with anyone in his family. But, you could probably find several leads if you Google "Ernest Burt, Jr." The problem is that you will need more upfront information on him so you'll be able to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, and follow the correct leads.

I suggest that you PM "Ralph T" [[Terrana). He may know people who had contact with Burt after he moved to Nashville.

Soulnight
01-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for hint!