PDA

View Full Version : They're baaaaack! Scherrie & Susaye: "The Supreme Love Show" - Feb. 13, 2015

test

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Just received this exciting news:

westgrandboulevard
01-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Looking forward to your review!

Just don't forget your ticket this time......;)

theboyfromxtown
01-21-2015, 06:55 PM
You never miss a trick do you WGB!

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Looking forward to your review!

Just don't forget your ticket this time......;)

No chance. I'm gonna staple it to my forehead this time! LOL!!

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Just posted video from "The Supreme Partners" show. Susaye and her son performing "Children of the Ghetto".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I2Vdj1zYqI&feature=em-subs_digest

westgrandboulevard
01-21-2015, 07:01 PM
This is getting better. And there I was, quietly sat here, feeling tired.....LOL

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 07:02 PM
You never miss a trick do you WGB!

I've heard that about WGB!:)

westgrandboulevard
01-21-2015, 07:04 PM
I graduated with honours from the Barnum & Bailey school of discretion. LOL

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 07:12 PM
I graduated with honours from the Barnum & Bailey school of discretion. LOL

Discretion is the better part of valour.

westgrandboulevard
01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
And stroking it in the direction of the pile, is the better part of velour :)

Bring on The Supremes! We can speak the name, even if they can't.....

kenneth
01-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Fantastic news! I want to see this again.

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 07:20 PM
From "The Supreme Partners" show:

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Fantastic news! I want to see this again.

Hey Kenneth, again we have this amazing opportunity! Can you believe it? We are so blessed. See you there.

theboyfromxtown
01-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Just posted video from "The Supreme Partners" show. Susaye and her son performing "Children of the Ghetto".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I2Vdj1zYqI&feature=em-subs_digest

That knocked me off my feet! You came back with a vengeance Soph!

kenneth
01-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Hey Kenneth, again we have this amazing opportunity! Can you believe it? We are so blessed. See you there.

Yep...I certainly will! And of course now I know who you are since you described your outfit so precisely so I will be sure to greet you.

I loved that "Children of the Ghetto" number. It reminded me of something you might have heard by Gil Scott-Heron. That, Scherrie's "Another Life From Now" and Susaye's rendition of "Alfie" were highlights to me.

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 07:46 PM
That knocked me off my feet! You came back with a vengeance Soph!

A vacation always seems to renew me. In case you missed it, here is a link to the other posted "Supreme Partners Show" video. Susaye singing "Alfie". Simply sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bod3l0MTQ

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Yep...I certainly will! And of course now I know who you are since you described your outfit so precisely so I will be sure to greet you.

I loved that "Children of the Ghetto" number. It reminded me of something you might have heard by Gil Scott-Heron. That, Scherrie's "Another Life From Now" and Susaye's rendition of "Alfie" were highlights to me.

Absolutely! Major highlights in show that was full of special moments. It would be great if Scherrie's performance of "Another Life From Now" gets posted too. Heck, I'd love a DVD of the entire show! Based on where you said you were sitting I think I know who you are as well. I'll see you there!

Methuselah2
01-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Great news!
Scherrie & Susaye are comin' back;
WGB is workin' the velour;
Tbfxt is workin' WGB's nerves; &
SS is threadin' once again with hot news & stuff.

Can't get bored on this board.

sophisticated_soul
01-21-2015, 10:05 PM
Great news!
Scherrie & Susaye are comin' back;
WGB is workin' the velour;
Tbfxt is workin' WGB's nerves; &
SS is threadin' once again with hot news & stuff.

Can't get bored on this board.

Thank you Bruce! I love being there for the ladies. And I'm sure the show will be awesome!:)

thanxal
01-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Oh please come east some time, Ms. Susaye and Ms. Scherrie!!! I would love to hear you live and in person!!!

marybrewster
01-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Afterwards, I'd love for someone to post the setlist.

sophisticated_soul
01-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Afterwards, I'd love for someone to post the setlist.

Will do.:)

sophisticated_soul
01-23-2015, 09:50 PM
The "Supreme Love"show is three weeks from tonight folks! Get your tickets now! Let's show our Supreme Love for Scherrie & Susaye!:cool:
From "Supreme Partners":

sophisticated_soul
01-30-2015, 07:37 AM
Happy Friday Everyone!:) Just two weeks until the "Supreme Love" show!!

I have received a few inquires as to why I deleted the pictures [[especially the one of Scherrie and me) from my previous “Supreme Partners” thread.

At one point I had posted so many photos that I used up my allotted space so I started deleting older photos. Then there was the concern on the forum at one point about copyrights in general, so I just got into the habit of deleting photos after the threads fell off the first page.

For those of you interested here is the link to the photo of Scherrie and me:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=313765002137677&set=ms.c.eJwtytENACAIA9GNDFCxZf~%3BFFPXr8pKDgyvNok sOdBHV1tSzrXksd1xnxXXkN9m~%3BUNp9bA~%3B9.bps.a.278 349679012543.1073741828.278347385679439&type=1&theater

All the images posted on this thread have been done so with permission.

See you Vitellos!:)

theboyfromxtown
01-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Oh yes....

If you have it, flaunt it...and you have it!

theboyfromxtown
01-30-2015, 07:49 AM
Joseph. Did they do something this week. I saw some new pictures of the ladies with Fred on Susaye's Facebook site.

sophisticated_soul
01-30-2015, 07:53 AM
Oh yes....

If you have it, flaunt it...and you have it!

You are too generous my friend, but Thank You. Oh you meant the shirt!;)

sophisticated_soul
01-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Joseph. Did they do something this week. I saw some new pictures of the ladies with Fred on Susaye's Facebook site.

I don't know what the event was, but here is a link to some great photos. Must have been something to do with "Supreme Love" as it is at Vitellos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=ms.c.eJwzMzczNLA0szC1MDa2MDTSMwPzTS0tDc3MDU1N YHxTCN8CAOhtCa4~-.bps.t.623820618&type=1

sophisticated_soul
01-31-2015, 04:53 AM

I was in touch with our buddy Fred and he explained that the upstairs supper club at Vitello's [[where Scherrie and Susaye will appear on Feb. 13) had been closed for remodeling. The club is now run by Sheila E. and has been renamed The E. Spot. Wednesday night, there was a "family and friends" event to preview the new room, and Scherrie and Susaye were invited, as was Fred. He said the room has undergone an incredible transformation and he can't wait for everyone to see it.

Sheila E. hosted the event Wednesday night, and she called Scherrie and Susaye up on stage to announce their performance. Shari Belafonte also came up on stage, and Sheila E. asked them to sing a little bit of a Supremes song, so Scherrie and Susaye sang "Someday We'll Be Together" and everyone on stage joined in! Later Scherrie and Susaye were interviewed and photographed by various media and they had a fantastic time - as did Fred! I know this event means a lot to Fred as he has been working on the idea of this show since the July “Supreme Partners” event. Fred added that Scherrie and Susaye will be performing their "Partners" album live - and much more!

The E. Spot is the place to be Friday, Feb. 13 folks. Reservations can be made online at the Vitello's website: www.vitellosrestaurant.com click on "The E. Spot Lounge" and then click on "Buy Tickets Now" to bring the calendar up, and scroll down to Feb. 13.

Fred provided this photo from Wednesday night’s event, used here with his permission. I call it Fred Bronson & The Supremes.:)

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2015, 05:52 AM
I was in touch with our buddy Fred and he explained that the upstairs supper club at Vitello's [[where Scherrie and Susaye will appear on Feb. 13) had been closed for remodeling. The club is now run by Sheila E. and has been renamed The E. Spot. Wednesday night, there was a "family and friends" event to preview the new room, and Scherrie and Susaye were invited, as was Fred. He said the room has undergone an incredible transformation and he can't wait for everyone to see it.

Sheila E. hosted the event Wednesday night, and she called Scherrie and Susaye up on stage to announce their performance. Shari Belafonte also came up on stage, and Sheila E. asked them to sing a little bit of a Supremes song, so Scherrie and Susaye sang "Someday We'll Be Together" and everyone on stage joined in! Later Scherrie and Susaye were interviewed and photographed by various media and they had a fantastic time - as did Fred! I know this event means a lot to Fred as he has been working on the idea of this show since the July “Supreme Partners” event. Fred added that Scherrie and Susaye will be performing their "Partners" album live - and much more!

The E. Spot is the place to be Friday, Feb. 13 folks. Reservations can be made online at the Vitello's website: www.vitellosrestaurant.com click on "The E. Spot Lounge" and then click on "Buy Tickets Now" to bring the calendar up, and scroll down to Feb. 13.

Fred provided this photo from Wednesday night’s event, used here with his permission. I call it Fred Bronson & The Supremes.:)

Thanks Joseph. Great picture of Fred, Scherrie and Susaye.

Methuselah2
01-31-2015, 11:03 AM

"Linda!
Naomi!
Christy!
Joseph!"

"Supermodel--
You.
Better.
WORK!"

P.S. Scherrie & Susaye look sensational in that photo with Fred.

sophisticated_soul
01-31-2015, 02:16 PM
"Linda!
Naomi!
Christy!
Joseph!"

"Supermodel--
You.
Better.
WORK!"

P.S. Scherrie & Susaye look sensational in that photo with Fred.

LOL!!!! Oh my, such prestigious company you put in, Bruce! LOL!!! I had so much fun with the "Supreme Partners" thread, and it's déjà vu with the "Supreme Love" thread!

I must thank Fred again for providing such a fabulous photo. Indeed the ladies do look sensational, Susaye's really rockin' the 'do!:cool:

westgrandboulevard
01-31-2015, 07:15 PM
All it now needs is just the mention of spaghetti strap dresses, and there will be an explosion of utter delight from Meth2.....;)

Methuselah2
01-31-2015, 11:13 PM
That is so true, WGB. So very true. Spaghetti strap dresses are never far from my.mind. Nor spaghetti, for that matter.

westgrandboulevard
02-01-2015, 04:56 AM
Me, I've always found great contentment with a dressless strap. But yes, pasta has worked well, both for me....and Sophia.

PS. I'm a little intrigued with that lovely photo of Fred, Scherrie and Susaye. Whatever is the lady, pictured in the background behind S&S, attempting to eat....?

Methuselah2
02-01-2015, 05:25 AM
Looks like it might be a napkin that she's using.

westgrandboulevard
02-01-2015, 05:37 AM
Yes, that might well be it.There's quite a lot of fibre to be found in napkins....:)

theboyfromxtown
02-01-2015, 06:20 AM
There's a great video of them on Facebook under Sydney Colston..singing snippets of Someday We'll Be Together and High Energy.

sophisticated_soul
02-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Looks like it might be a napkin that she's using.

My forensic analysis suggests you are correct.;)

sophisticated_soul
02-01-2015, 03:58 PM
There's a great video of them on Facebook under Sydney Colston..singing snippets of Someday We'll Be Together and High Energy.

John, I couldn't find this. Maybe I don't have complete access to Facebook since I am not a member?:confused:

theboyfromxtown
02-01-2015, 04:58 PM
John, I couldn't find this. Maybe I don't have complete access to Facebook since I am not a member?:confused:

How can a girl be without it! Stop being so last year!! LOLOL

sophisticated_soul
02-01-2015, 05:22 PM
How can a girl be without it! Stop being so last year!! LOLOL

I know. I can be so yesteryear. LOL! Every time I tell someone I'm not on Facebook they look at me like, really? seriously? How do you communicate with people?
Well, just late last year I gave up my Discman for an ipod shuffle [[which I really do like) so maybe there's hope?:rolleyes:

theboyfromxtown
02-01-2015, 06:08 PM
I know. I can be so yesteryear. LOL! Every time I tell someone I'm not on Facebook they look at me like, really? seriously? How do you communicate with people?
Well, just late last year I gave up my Discman for an ipod shuffle [[which I really do like) so maybe there's hope?:rolleyes:

There's a fabulous video of Susaye dancing on Facebook which is a hoot. You will have to sign up to see it.

sophisticated_soul
02-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Also at Vitello's E. Spot Lounge: American Idol Shows

The day after “Supreme Love” Fred Bronson will be producing and hosting a show in The E. Spot Lounge himself. He is doing a series of Saturday brunches with American Idols. Once each month, an Idol will perform and Fred will interview them on stage as part of the show. A meet and greet will follow the 90-minute show. On Feb. 14, the Idol Brunch will star Jessica Meuse from season 13. She's coming in from her hometown of Slapout, Alabama, to do her first-ever live gig in Los Angeles. There is a cover charge of $15 and the full brunch menu is available. Reservations can be made on Vitello's website; www.vitellosrestaurant.com Jessica is listed right below Scherrie and Susaye on the calendar.
Jessica Meuse photo used with permission.

sophisticated_soul
02-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Wow! Holland/Dozier/Holland are getting their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame the same day as Scherrie & Susaye's "Supreme Love" show in Studio City! It's going to be quite the Motown Friday in Los Angeles. Make that quite the Motown/Invictus Friday! How cool is that!:cool:

thelastsupreme
02-05-2015, 04:57 PM
hi everyone: love to all of you and hope to see you on the 13th at The E spot Lounge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60vLEYCnfw&feature=youtu.be

Introduced by Fred Bronson: here's our promo. xox

marv2
02-05-2015, 05:01 PM
hi everyone: love to all of you and hope to see you on the 13th at The E spot Lounge.

Real nice Susaye! You haven't lost nothin' . I see you can still hit it. Best of luck with the show.

kenneth
02-05-2015, 05:19 PM
I just ordered my tickets. They are ordered through the Vitello's web site, which is at:

http://www.vitellosjazz.com/

Can't wait to see the girls again!

thelastsupreme
02-05-2015, 05:29 PM
thanks Marv. God continues to bless me with strength.

marv2
02-05-2015, 05:47 PM
thanks Marv. God continues to bless me with strength.

Miss Vivian would be very proud!

sophisticated_soul
02-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Susaye, thank you so much for posting the link. It's a fabulous promo! I've ordered my ticket and I am just so excited that I will be able to see you two perform again!! Happy, Happy, Happy!:)

thelastsupreme
02-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks Kenneth; we're very excited and can't wait to see you too. xox

thanxal
02-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Ms. Susaye, is there ANY possibility of you two talented ladies coming east? I can't afford a trip west but my dream is to see you two live.

detmotownguy
02-06-2015, 12:46 AM
High Energy is one of the finest songs ever recorded. And the last Supremes album is superb. The vocal combination of Mary, Scherrie, and Susaye created a super group.

We are blessed that we each one of you are still performing and making good music over thirty after the end of the Supremes. Keep making that high energy!

luke
02-06-2015, 01:43 AM
Martha may be a super person but people wonder what's happened to her voice ..it's pretty significant when compared to her peers but it's not personal. She seems like a great Motown ambassador.

kenneth
02-06-2015, 12:38 PM

I'll be the one cheering the loudest!

Susaye [[and Scherrie), I wanted to ask, you know my beautiful copy of "High Energy" that you autographed? At the time, I only had a ball point pen. If I bring it in again [[along with a sharpie this time), do you think it is possible to re-sign it over the authograph and message you originally wrote on it? I love it so much but really regretted not having a proper sharpie for the autograph.

jobeterob
02-06-2015, 02:34 PM
There are pictures of the FLOS performing in Florida on Facebook. They seem to have just been posted last night. Are they old pictures or did this happen recently?

carlo
02-07-2015, 07:31 PM
I wish I could make it out for this show. I hope there will be more, as I want to support any showcase for these supremely talented Supreme ladies. Have fun everyone!

kenneth
02-07-2015, 09:39 PM
I wish I could make it out for this show. I hope there will be more, as I want to support any showcase for these supremely talented Supreme ladies. Have fun everyone!

We wish you could be there too, Carlo! It would be great to meet you.

thanxal
02-07-2015, 09:45 PM
We wish you could be there too, Carlo! It would be great to meet you.
I could be wrong, but I do think there is real demand in NYC and DC [[at least) to see these two wonderful ladies. I think with proper promotion both an NYC and DC venue would sell out. My own personal dream would be to see Mary, Scherrie and Susaye, but I completely understand why that won't happen. I'm very happy to see the Parners.

detmotownguy
02-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah a good idea! Talk about a Super Group!!!

stephanie
02-09-2015, 02:35 AM
OH yes there is a demand in the DC area for Susaye and Scherrie. If I was Oprah I would pay Scherrie to come in my living room and sing Its All Been Said Before to the record. I would also have Susaye sing her riff in High Energy and give them both 5000.00.

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2015, 03:01 PM
It's Monday and I've got Friday on my mind!:)

This Friday - Scherrie & Susaye "The Supreme Love Show" - Vitello's Studio City, Los Angeles

Here is the link to the Big Dawg Productions updated promo video for the show:
http://youtu.be/B60vLEYCnfw

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Another feather in it's cap! "20 Feet From Stardom" wins Grammy last night for "Best Music Film" beating out Beyoncé & Jay Z, Coldplay, Metallica and Pink!
__________________________________________________ _____________

From Big Dawg Productions:

Great morning to you,

I would like to Congratulate the GRAMMY AWARD WINNING RECORDING ARTISTS for Best Music Film " 20 Feet from Stardom" that Big Dawg Productions has the pleasure of Managing.

Charlo Crossley
Mable John
Claudia Lennear
Susaye Greene
Scherrie Payne

2014 Academy Award

2015 Grammy Award

Thank you and God Bless.

Sydney.

"Supreme Love Show" Promo: http://youtu.be/B60vLEYCnfw
__________________________________________________ _____________

supremester
02-09-2015, 06:30 PM
I wish I could be there but I'll be in Sarasota with Miss Ross. Next time! Have fun!

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Photo 1 attached to the above Big Dawg e-mail:

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Photo 2: Lisa Morgan and Caitren

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2015, 06:34 PM
And photo 3: The Crew

sophisticated_soul
02-09-2015, 06:39 PM
I wish I could be there but I'll be in Sarasota with Miss Ross. Next time! Have fun!

Have a great time in Sarasota, Gregg!:)

sophisticated_soul
02-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow
Scherrie & Susaye are only a day away!
Tomorrow, tomorrow . . .

9057:):):):):)

kenneth
02-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Photo 1 attached to the above Big Dawg e-mail:

Is that Mable John in the center?

sophisticated_soul
02-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Is that Mable John in the center?

Yes. 84 years young. See you at the show, Kenneth.:)

sophisticated_soul
02-12-2015, 07:41 PM
"Supreme Love" show not cancelled!

In case you have heard that the "Supreme Love" show has been cancelled, that is not correct. I have just checked with Big Dawg Productions and Sydney has confirmed the show is definitely on! The confusion was caused by a Facebook page being taken down. Scherrie and Susaye tomorrow at Vitello's.:)

marv2
02-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Photo 2: Lisa Morgan and Caitren

Isn't that Lisa Fisher?

luke
02-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Sure is Lisa!

thelastsupreme
02-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks for posting this! The show will indeed go on! We are so excited. Can hardly wait........it's going to be so much fun. See you tomorrow! 9063 love from Susaye

sophisticated_soul
02-13-2015, 02:06 AM
Isn't that Lisa Fisher?

Yes Marv you are correct. The photo [[a Getty Image) was mislabeled and I didn't catch it. I cannot correct that post now, but it should read; singer Lisa Fischer, director Morgan Neville and producer Caitrin Rogers. Thank you for catching the error.

sophisticated_soul
02-13-2015, 02:17 AM
Thanks for posting this! The show will indeed go on! We are so excited. Can hardly wait........it's going to be so much fun. See you tomorrow! 9063 love from Susaye

Thank you for posting such a lovely photo, Susaye. So very glad that it was just a glitch that caused the rumor. Glad that got nipped in bud real quick. Looking forward to "Supreme Love" tomorrow, now that I'm over the shock of thinking it was cancelled! LOL!:)

westgrandboulevard
02-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Sophisticated Soul, you Gooooo!

And just make sure you return safely, and faithfully report Baaaaack! :)

sophisticated_soul
02-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Thank you Roger.:) I'm leaving soon for L.A. So excited to be part of "Supreme Love"!:cool:

kenneth
02-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Wow, what a great show this was! I got to meet Joseph "Sophisticated_Soul" which was a real pleasure. Had seat in the very front center table, right in front of the stage. Fantastic!

I'll let Joseph write up his review before I add my comments, but suffice for now to say that it was a tighter and punchier show than the one we saw last July, and a longer show. Each girl had more solo numbers than before. Great backup band. The girls were absolutely spot on and pitch perfect. A fantastic evening!

kenneth
02-14-2015, 06:07 AM
A few photos!

sophisticated_soul
02-14-2015, 06:23 AM
Great photos Kenneth! Thank you for posting them. It was very enjoyable meeting you. The show was just awesome. Please go ahead and post your review Kenneth. I'm exhausted and I won't be posting a review for a day or two. I totally agree with you about the show being tighter. I mean they were awesome in July, but tonight they were even more awesome. There were so many memorable moments. When Scherrie sang "Crumbs Off The Table" I just totally lost it, she sounded fantastic! And Susaye singing "My Funny Valentine" what a totally unexpected delight! It was a long drive home, I got get some rest.:)

kenneth
02-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Can't believe you already made it home! Wow, you must have driven fast. Okay, we'll get our reviews up tomorrow. I'm going to bed too!

sophisticated_soul
02-14-2015, 06:34 AM
There was very little traffic at this time. I sailed home listening to the "Partners" CD and reliving that incredible show! Goodnight.:)

theboyfromxtown
02-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Did Susaye do Alfie....there's a youtube video of her doing that...it blew me away

kenneth
02-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Did Susaye do Alfie....there's a youtube video of her doing that...it blew me away

She did, as well as the standards "My Funny Valentine" in a stunning rendition, and "Until It's Time for You to Go" in kind of a jazzy arrangement. Her "Valentine" was so beautiful. Why no one has recorded a set of standards on this lady is beyond me. I mean, Bob Dylan just recorded an album of standards...and Susaye hasn't? I love Dylan, but what is wrong with this picture?

kenneth
02-14-2015, 11:26 AM
A couple more with their biggest fan [[or maybe second biggest, Joseph might be a bigger fan). We'll have to fight that out.

Methuselah2
02-14-2015, 12:27 PM
They're Baaaaack! I mean Kenneth and Joseph!

Gorgeous photos! Fantastic comments! Really looking forward to the full reviews. But from what's already been said, it sounds sensational. What a night! So glad you enjoyed it. [[I knew you would. Who wouldn't?!)

thommg
02-14-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm a little jealous that LA has had two performances and NYC has not had any. May I please add my name to the petition to get the Supremes Partners to a venue in New York City????? So pleased to hear how wonderful the evening was at Vitello's!

Guy
02-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Scherrie and Susaye's "Supreme Love" show at Vitello's in Studio City, CA was fantastic! To start, as you can see from the fabulous photos already posted, the ladies are still stunningly beautiful and remarkably well-preserved. I was reminded after the show that Ms. Payne just turned 70, which is just not at all believeable when you look at her. Kudos to Scherrie and Susaye for their good genes and taking such good care of themselves.
The program was great. They opened with "Storybook Romance" and "Your Sweet Love" from 'Partners.' They traded [[excellent) solos for most of the evening. The lovely Scherrie Payne gave us a spellbinding medley of "MacArthur Park" and her very own "Another Life From Now." A jazzy original composition, "Penetrating Eyes", featuring her nephew on flugelhorn. A heartfelt, moving rendition of "Here's To Life." And a great surprise for me, a very spirited "Crumbs Off The Table" which I did not expect to hear.
I must say the great revelation of the evening was the amazing condition of Susaye Greene's voice. Her staggering vocal power and range was just not fully apparent on her Motown recordings. She has the vocal stamina of an opera singer, song-after-song her voice only grew brighter and more thrilling. And certainly the depth of her interpretive gifts has only broadened with time. She thrilled us with riveting versions of "Alfie", "My Funny Valentine", "Until It's Time For You To Go" [[which she recorded with The New Birth) and her own composition "I Can't Help It", popularized by Michael Jackson. The highlight of Susaye's solos was her impassioned take on Philip Bailey's "Children of The Ghetto." She was accompanied by her son, who gave an impressive spoken word counterpoint to her vocal.
The Supreme Partners came together again to give us "Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You've Ever Done" and a stomping "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking." They closed the evening with a rousing "High Energy", one of my personal favorite Supremes tracks. The audience was very appreciative but with too many subdued "Hollywood" types so, in my opinion, the Ladies did not get the thunderous response their marvelous performances warranted. There was a standing ovation at the end but no encore.
Joyce Vincent [[of Tony Orlando & Dawn) and Pam Vincent provided support vocals. Among the celebrities in attendance were the fabulous Freda Payne, singer/songwriter Brenda Russell, singer Stephanie Spruill, Bond girl Gloria Hendry, Motown A&R Legend Mickey Stevenson, and the Tony award-winning, legendary R&B/Blues diva Linda Hopkins [[still hollering at 90 years old).

kenneth
02-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Good review, Guy. I was trying to go through the set list so I wouldn't leave anything out. I think you covered all of it except didn't Susaye also do "In the Night?" Other than that I think you mentioned all the songs except Daniel Colton's solo.

luke
02-14-2015, 03:55 PM
How was attendance? Did they say much to audience? Thanks

kenneth
02-14-2015, 04:22 PM
How was attendance? Did they say much to audience? Thanks

It was a smallish venue but was sold out. I'm not sure, guys, what do you think, 250 or 300 people?

Methuselah2
02-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Thank you for your beautifully written review, Guy. Very enjoyable reading.

theboyfromxtown
02-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Yes......I wanna echo what Methuselah2 said....thank you Guy

sophisticated_soul
02-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Good review, Guy. I was trying to go through the set list so I wouldn't leave anything out. I think you covered all of it except didn't Susaye also do "In the Night?" Other than that I think you mentioned all the songs except Daniel Colton's solo.

I didn't write the set list down but yes Susaye did "In The Night". Thank you Guy for reminding me that Scherrie sang "Here's To Life" I got that confused with Susaye singing "Until It's Time For You To Go". I think between the three of us we got the complete set list. How could I have forgotten "Here's To Life". Thank you for your great review Guy. The show was just awesome and the kicker for me was Scherrie singing "Crumbs Off The Table"! Susaye's version of "My Funny Valentine" was also an unexpected delight. At the meet and greet I told Susaye how much I loved her version, and she says she plans to record it. I total agree withe Kenneth that Susaye should consider a standards album.

sophisticated_soul
02-14-2015, 06:33 PM
A couple more with their biggest fan [[or maybe second biggest, Joseph might be a bigger fan). We'll have to fight that out.

Fantastic photos of you with Scherrie & Susaye!

sophisticated_soul
02-14-2015, 06:38 PM
It was a smallish venue but was sold out. I'm not sure, guys, what do you think, 250 or 300 people?

I would say less than 200?

kenneth
02-14-2015, 09:07 PM
I think Guy wrote a very thorough review but I'll just add a few thoughts to it.

I loved the E Spot Lounge, the venue, which is above VItello's Restaurant in Studio City. It is owned by Sheila E[[scovedo), the famous singer/drummer with a long musical lineage. It reminds me a lot of the Catalina Jazz Club although the E Spot is quite a big smaller. You can order anything off the menu. My friend and I shared a small pizza which was very good. The other folks at the table ordered some pasta. They have all kinds of Italian specialties. It's a good menu. The prices are reasonable too.

There was a real festive feeling in the air. There wasn't as much "flash" in the crowd as at the premier show back in July, but overall I thought the show was better presented, tighter and with a punchier lineup. There was only one warm up act, a comedian/mcgician. Because I was seated at a table in the front, I had to participate in one "card trick." [[Calling it a card trick is actually being really generous.) I like stand up comedy, but these magicians who don't really do any tricks to me are kind of silly seeming. Oh well.

There was no other warm up act, unlike at the premiere show where Charlo Crossley and several others had brief sets.

The girls were introduced by Fred Bronson. The band sounded great. Even though we were in the very front at stage center, the sound was not overpowering. You could hear the vocals distinctly and clearly. The acoustics seemed tremendous to me.

Between Guy, Joseph [[Sophisticated_Soul) and myself, I think we have the set list down as follows, though we might be off on the order:

Storybook Romance - Scherrie and Susaye
Your Sweet Love - Scherrie and Susaye
Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done - Scherrie and Susaye
In the Night - Susaye
I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walkin' - Scherrie and Susaye
Children of the Ghetto - Susaye and her son Daniel Colton
Up for the Doubles ... ? [[not sure of the title of this song) - Daniel Colton solo
Macarthur Park/Another Life From Now - Scherrie
Alfie - Susaye
Here's to Life - Scherrie
My Funny Valentine - Susaye
Crumbs Off the Table - Scherrie
I Can't Help It - Susaye
Penetrating Eyes - Scherrie accompanied by her nephew Emil Martinez on Flugelhorn
Until It's Time for You to Go - Susaye
High Energy - Scherrie and Susaye

If you were at the July show, you'll notice this set list was somewhat longer, with more solo numbers.

Both ladies were absolutely pitch perfect. I can't tell any difference in their vocal capabilities between 1977 and today. The amplification by the mics was absolutely flawless. There was nary a whiff of feedback. Both ladies obviously know how to sing to a microphone and projected wonderfully. Again, I think the acoustics in this venue is great.

To me, the highlights of the evening were the following.

For Susaye, it was her renditions of the various standards [["Alfie" - a showstopper, "Valentine" - which of course she dedicated to her husband, and "Until It's TIme For You to Go"). This lady simply has to record an album of standards.

For Scherrie, she excelled most on the numbers she herself wrote, and I think her showstopper is still "Macarthur Park/Another Life From Now." I don't think you had to be in the front row of tables to see how emotional she became during that song. She had tears in her eyes. Aside from that, however, she gave a rousing [[and at times with some risque body language) version of "Crumbs Off the Table," one of her numbers from The Glass House days. This is a great addition to the show.

My only criticism of the lineup is that there should be an encore, and it should be "He's My Man." I think every crowd expects at least one encore. After a long set, I can understand they want to get off stage, but I think any audience expects [[and deserves) a return by the performers. "He's My Man" would be a fantastic ending to a fabulous night.

Other than that, ironically, one song that doesn't work for me [[live) is one of my all time favorites, "High Energy." Although it's a great song, a small band just can't reproduce the arrangement and orchestral instrumentation that the album version has. Of course, the girls sing it well, but I just think this song's beauty can't be reproduced on stage. [[I suppose this is true of many of the more discofied numbers.)

After the show, the ladies went downstairs for a meet and greet. I was thrilled to get them to both autograph my copies of "Mary, Scherrie and Susaye" and "Partners." I also had the great pleasure to meet Mickey Stevenson. I told him I'd been listening to and collecting his music since I was 13 years old. What an elegant, gracious gentleman. He acted as if this was the first time anyone had ever raved about his music. I forgot to tell him I was a Detroit native, however!

The ladies of course were bombarded by well wishers but still managed to indulge me for the photographs and autographs. In fact, Scherrie said something like, "It's the fans who have supported us all these years. I'm happy to sign anything," when I asked her to sign a second album cover.

I don't think I could ever tire of seeing these two ladies perform. I know there's a lot of talent out there, but it just seems incredible to me that these two multifacted performers haven't recorded dozens of albums over the years. While I'm happy we have recordings of the Supremes and "Partners" LPs that they participated in, it seems tragic that we don't have much, much more on these two unforgettable singers.

One undercurrent which at least at my table was discussed a good deal, was where was Mary Wilson? Earlier in the day Mary had participated in the team of H-D-H finally getting their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It seems odd that Mary wouldn't have been at either of these two shows to support Scherrie and Susaye. I suppose she might have been performing somewhere herself, or just couldn't make it, but knowing she had been in town on the very day of the event [[as I think she still lives in Las Vegas) made this a question on the tip of everyone's tongue, at least at our table.

One thing I disagree with Guy about is I think the crowd was extremely receptive. I'm pretty sure if you were sitting anywhere in the E Spot [[and maybe even downstairs at Vitello's) you could hear me cheering. There were lots of others in front who were shouting encouragement and praise while the ladies were singing. I'm not sure where Guy was sitting [[I don't know him), but everyone around me was totally enthusiastic about the performance. In fact, one of the guys who was sitting at our table [[he was part of a couple who was seated with my friend and I) had a large white handkerchief which he kept pulling out and waving in the air while the ladies were singing! I also saw Charlo Crossley [[who was at the next table) prostrate herself a few times, feigning intense adoration. It was all so much fun!

Thank you ladies for another wonderful evening. God bless!

Methuselah2
02-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Thanks very much for your review, Kenneth. Really enjoyed reading your observations and getting another perspective.

kenneth
02-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks very much for your review, Kenneth. Really enjoyed reading your observations and getting another perspective.

Thanks Methuselah2!

sophisticated_soul
02-15-2015, 12:05 AM
What a great review Kenneth! And it was great meeting you there. The show was just amazing. And you and Guy have both captured the magic of the moment in your reviews.

Note: The Ladies were introduced by Fred Bronson and he deserves the credit because he helped make this second appearance happen. I remember him saying right after the first show that he would love to get them booked at Vitello's.

It was odd that there was no encore. But I do remember it being announced several times at the end that "this would be their last song". So maybe there was a reason for that.

LOL!! I blushed a little too at Scherrie's gyrations during her awesome performance of "Crumbs Off The Table"! I thought, Miss Scherrie!! LOL!! The lady knows how to work a crowd. Both of the ladies were just on fire last night!:)

kenneth
02-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks Joseph...I'll correct the spelling of Fred's last name.

Guy
02-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Happy to share my review with Soulful Detroit. Thanks for the positive feedback. I was thrilled to see Susaye Greene for the first time. I've seen Scherrie perform with FLOS but was also thrilled to see her in this more intimate setting.

Kenneth, thanks for sharing your review and completing the setlist, I forgot all about "In The Night." I am so pleased that Scherrie and Susaye were getting their due in the front -- I saw the hankerchief waver, I thought that was fabulous! I was sitting way in the back at the banquette against the rear wall. It was called the "VIP" section but it was as far from the stage as one could possibly get. From my vantage point in the back, the crowd was a little more subdued and even talked through some of the numbers.

I'd been to the former Upstairs at Vitello's several times but this was my first time at the ESpot. It is a nice makeover, the stage placement has shifted and the decor is a little more upscale at the ESpot. The room is so cozy and the acoustics are so good there is not a bad seat in the house. I also agree that there were no more than 200 people in attendance. I did not hang around for the meet and greet but I hope I have the opportunity to see Scherrie and Susaye again in the very near future.

P.S. I won't tell you about the conversation at MY table regarding Miss Mary Wilson :-)

luke
02-15-2015, 03:30 PM
No Lynda Laurence? Diana in Beverly Hills recently so I thought she might drop in If not performing. Did the ladies interact with the audience? Did they both sing leads on I'm gonna let my heart..and High Energy?

detmotownguy
02-15-2015, 03:46 PM
No Lynda Laurence? Diana in Beverly Hills recently so I thought she might drop in If not performing. Did the ladies interact with the audience? Did they both sing leads on I'm gonna let my heart..and High Energy?

High energy is a great song! I heard a clip a while back of Susaye doing a pretty darn good job on it considering the difficulty of replicating the studio sound. She sure has some range!

REDHOT
02-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Sophisticated Soul Kenneth and Guy,you guys gave a great review's,i was there,and i agree mostly with you guys,it was a great show,i loved High Energy tho,the audience,did seem a little layed back,maybe it was where i was sitting lol[[in the front).i loved it,when Scherrie name all the ladies of The Supremes,it would have been nice,had they come back,and sang He's My Man,and yes i saw Mary also early,for me Mary really should have show up,for this show.i'v seen Scherrie,at many of Mary's shows,as much as i love Mary,i feel she should have showed her in the place lol smh

sophisticated_soul
02-15-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm a little jealous that LA has had two performances and NYC has not had any. May I please add my name to the petition to get the Supremes Partners to a venue in New York City????? So pleased to hear how wonderful the evening was at Vitello's!

Scherrie & Susaye’s Valentine Eve "Supreme Love" show is IMO tour ready and tour worthy. No question. Tour viability, I’ll have to leave to crunchier minds. But small shows need big support. And this show deserves the support. Friday’s show made their fabulous July show seem like a dry run. The entire production has been honed and perfected to a slick [[compliment) production. It is well timed, well paced, well executed, well choreograhed and all those other well well’s . . . so let’s get to together and go for a walk in the park. But I digress.
Everything about the show works. The ladies look and sound fabulous. The band was tight and totally in sync backing the ladies, as were the ever lovely Vincent Sisters. The selections were flawless, the arrangements solid, the energy high. This is a show that should be seen, deserves to be seen and beyond that, this is a show that is worth being seen. You will be entertained. DVD documentation would be the next best thing to a tour. Better yet, both!:)

rod_rick
02-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Sophisticated Soul Kenneth and Guy,you guys gave a great review's,i was there,and i agree mostly with you guys,it was a great show,i loved High Energy tho,the audience,did seem a little layed back,maybe it was where i was sitting lol[[in the front).i loved it,when Scherrie name all the ladies of The Supremes,it would have been nice,had they come back,and sang He's My Man,and yes i saw Mary also early,for me Mary really should have show up,for this show.i'v seen Scherrie,at many of Mary's shows,as much as i love Mary,i feel she should have showed her in the place lol smh

I really wonder why Mary was not in attendance also where was Lynda? I've never seen or heard of Lynda at anyone other than Diana Ross's solo engagements. BTW did any of the ladies show up to Mary's gig a month or so ago in LA?

detmotownguy
02-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Scherrie and Freda were at Mary's Houston concert in September. It seems that Scherrie and Mary are pretty good friends.

marv2
02-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Mary has had a busy weekend with the Walk of Fame honor for HDH, taping the Grammy All Star Tribute to Stevie Wonder and seeing all of those grandchildren!

kenneth
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM

I wish we could have met you...would have loved to get to know more of us SDF'ers.

captainjames
02-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Scherrie and Freda were at Mary's Houston concert in September. It seems that Scherrie and Mary are pretty good friends.

Scherrie gets along with all the Supreme ladies.

REDHOT
02-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Hey Marv,i saw Mary at The Hollywood Walk Of Fame honor for Holland Doizer Holland,early that day,and talked a little with her,and everyone knows,i love me some Mary Wilson,the Mary i know,if Mary wanted to go,she would have went,i'm would love to see Mary support,other former Supremes too,we all need to show love,life is too short,for all of us.

Crystaledwards
02-16-2015, 02:21 AM

I am certain Mary had a conflict on Friday evening or she would have been in attendance at Scherrie and Susaye's show in Studio City.

We must give Mary the benefit of the doubt Tony.

CE

Crystaledwards
02-16-2015, 02:27 AM
Hey Marv,i saw Mary at The Hollywood Walk Of Fame honor for Holland Doizer Holland,early that day,and talked a little with her,and everyone knows,i love me some Mary Wilson,the Mary i know,if Mary wanted to go,she would have went,i'm would love to see Mary support,other former Supremes too,we all need to show love,life is too short,for all of us.

I love you dearly Tony but we just don't know the circumstances that kept Mary going to Vitello's Supper Club this past Friday evening.

CE

sophisticated_soul
02-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Random Reflections on Supreme Love:

Rapport: I loved the interplay between Scherrie & Susaye, especially the comedic. At one point Scherrie announced something before it’s time and mocked herself saying “Now how did I know that!” Susaye: “Because that’s how we rehearsed it!” Priceless!!! Adding six new songs [[all solos) to July’s “Supreme Partners” show allows each lady to shine on her own while at the same time it intensifies their duets, and broadens the show’s overall appeal.

Crumbs Off The Table: I was just out of high school and still 18 when COTT was released. What a stomper! I loved that song the moment I heard it – that voice! And that face! That song began my decade’s long admiration of Scherrie’s body of work. I had hoped she would perform COTT during “Supreme Partners” but that didn’t happen. But it sure happened at Vitello’s Friday night. Scherrie brought COTT back with a vengeance, in a red hot, raucous performance that brought the house down.

Speaking of the house, I agree over all that the crowd was more laid back. But I think that was in large part due to the cramped quarters of the lounge. There just wasn’t the room to make standing ovations, etc., especially if you were in the booths. And like Guy, it surprised me that the ring of booths around the room were considered the VIP seats while the seats on the floor right in front of the stage were considered general admission. I guess that’s how it works in supper clubs. I also agree there were a few too many folks walking around and talking during the show. And the room itself was a bit too warm for my comfort.

Anyway, back to COTT. Scherrie brought down the house and I was 18 all over again. Fabulous! I can now cross “See Scherrie Payne sing “Crumbs Off The Table” live, live, live” off my bucket list! Thank you Scherrie!

Susaye’s voice: As stated by others here, it does in fact seem that Susaye’s voice is defying the natural laws. Her gift is as powerful as ever, maybe even more so really. A number of times she had to back away from the mic, her delivery so strong and powerful. Her renditions of “Alfie” “My Funny Valentine” and “Until It’s Time For You To Go” beg, scream and shout for a standards-type project. Susaye did say she plans to record “My Funny Valentine”. Maybe that will lead to a standards project. That would be awesome!

stephanie
02-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Thank you all for the reviews I sure all of the fans wish they could have been there. The pics oh my gosh they look so young!

supremester
02-17-2015, 02:06 AM
I wanted to be there, but I was seeing Miss Ross that night. I will def make their next!

jobeterob
02-17-2015, 02:36 AM
So Scherrie is doing these shows plus touring with the FLOS in Florida???

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2015, 02:55 AM
Kenneth, Guy, and Sophisticated Soul - Glad to hear you had what sounds like the time of your lives. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and exciting reviews! It's the next-best thing to being there. - Gary

kenneth
02-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Kenneth, Guy, and Sophisticated Soul - Glad to hear you had what sounds like the time of your lives. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and exciting reviews! It's the next-best thing to being there. - Gary

Thanks Gary!

sophisticated_soul
02-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Thanks Gary!

Yes, and Thank You to everyone who has participated in or viewed this thread. There is a lot of love out there for Scherrie & Susaye! I sincerely hope many more of you will be able to have the wonderful experience of seeing them perform live!:)

sophisticated_soul
02-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Random Reflections on Supreme Love - Part Two

Encore: My thoughts are a mixture of some of the ideas already put forth. If I were King of the Forest [[not queen, not duke, not prince) I would close the show with a one-two punch of IGLMHDTW and He’s My Man. Then do High Energy as the encore. I think the jam/extended nature of the song would lend itself well to thank yous, band introductions and crowd control.

Meet and Greet: Was fun, I spoke with both ladies briefly but the room was noisy and it was hard to converse. The ladies were very gracious in accommodating requests for autographs and photos. They were fun to be around and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. CD’s, art prints and other items were available. I picked up a copy of “Brave New Shoes” which Susaye signed. I had brought my copy of “The Final Sessions” with me and they both signed it. No photographs this time [[Scherrie said I had used up my allotment of one, and Susaye said I was too freakishly tall:[[;):rolleyes:).

Here’s To Life: Although Shirley Horn had released this song a few years earlier, I first heard it by Eartha Kitt on her wonderful 1994 album “Back In Business”. At 67 Kitt’s haunting interpretation was from experience not projection. There is often something very unique, a very poignant reality that an aging voice can bring to lyrics about the passing of time. This in turn can deepen the intensity of the emotion of the song for the aging listener - when lyric becomes life.

Scherrie’s beautiful performance of this classic song was totally unexpected and very moving to me. In one song she took me back to when I was 18 and in another rocked the reality of my own aging - the retrospective-only understanding of just how quickly so many years can pass. The reality check of less time left on clock can be unsettling, even frightening, individually or collectively.

But the shared experience can be soothing and reassuring as well, especially through a song. A song can be a beautiful reminder and affirmation of life yet to be lived. The artists in our lives, those that we choose to make magical, can positively confirm our reality, as we age together. Especially the ones we have opened our hearts to for many years.

Scherrie & Susaye - Thank You for a most memorable evening. Here’s to life! –JOsEph:)

thelastsupreme
03-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Miss Payne, Miss Payne! with "Crumbs Off The Table"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_Ecsa1U10&feature=youtu.be Happy weekend. Enjoy; love from Susaye and Scherrie

rod_rick
03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Miss Payne, Miss Payne! with "Crumbs Off The Table"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_Ecsa1U10&feature=youtu.be Happy weekend. Enjoy; love from Susaye and Scherrie

I've been waiting for this Thank You Susaye :)

sophisticated_soul
03-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! What a fantastic surprise! Thank you both so much for posting this! Oh my goodness, I just love it!:):):):):):)

kenneth
03-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Great clip! I'm at the same table and right behind the guy in the red jacket who sometimes waves his handkerchief. But I'm totally out of the light. Alas! My one chance at immortality!!!

thanxal
03-14-2015, 08:16 AM
How do you two look and sound so young? Its like 1976 never left.