PDA

View Full Version : Tessie Hill produced by Sylvia Moy

test

no_place_like_motown
01-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Back in 1978 while dong my usual weekend record shopping, I came across an LP by a gospel artist named Tessie Hill produced by Sylvia Moy! I was surprised to see a record with Sylvia Moy's name on it. Always searching for all things Motown-related I bought the album...and I loved it! I've always been a fan of Gospel music and if it has a Motown connection...well that certainly sparks even more of an interest :D

Some of the songs were recorded in Michigan with Sylvia handling the production, rhythm & vocal arrangements and was the chorus master. Strings by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra...oh yeah I love my strings!!

Thankfully, some of the songs from the album were uploaded on You Tube and I wanted to post them for those that may be interested in hearing them. These are three of my personal favs from the album.

Like Glencro says...It's Sunday morning...let's get lifted...let's have church!!! Alright!! :)

"Face It With A Smile" [[powerful message song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y95p_eWXqWM

no_place_like_motown
01-18-2015, 07:58 AM
"I Can Touch His Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8iX3cxjxbY

no_place_like_motown
01-18-2015, 07:59 AM
"Take Care Of Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8imFck8rtSU

theboyfromxtown
01-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Great postings ANPLM

I love me some Sylvia Moy

copley
01-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks so much for this. Loving it. :)

no_place_like_motown
01-18-2015, 09:56 AM
John & Copley,

You're welcome! :)

copley
01-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Do you know if Tessie is still with us? There is very little about her on the internet. Her FB page was last updated in 2010!

glencro
01-19-2015, 07:23 AM
Thank you for posting these songs. I don't hear many people talk about Tessie Hill. Along with Mahalia she was my mother's other favorite gospel singer. I remember her having "I Must Tell Jesus" and "He Keeps Doing Great Things" on repeat. Copley, good question? I'm wondering the same thing.

no_place_like_motown
01-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Copley,

Based on your inquiry I also searched the internet and came up with nothing. :[[ Hopefully she is still with us and doing well.

Glencro,

You're welcome!

reese
01-19-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm only familiar with Tessie via her recording GREAT THINGS. I bought a gospel ladies compilation and that was one of the songs. It immediately became one of my favorites and I promised to investigate Tessie's other recordings but never got around to doing so.

Freddie Guy
03-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Do you know if Tessie is still with us? There is very little about her on the internet. Her FB page was last updated in 2010!

Hello, I just saw your question. Maybe you did get an answer but Tessie Hill made her transition on July 31, 2019. For a reference, I am the bass player on her album "Great Things and every other album she did. All with The Late Eddie Robinson except "Steppin Out" and the songs produced by Sylvia Moy. Ironically, I also recorded with Sylvia right after she left Motown for almost two years and feel so horned to have known both of them/ Freddie Guy Hutson

MIKEW-UK
03-29-2024, 05:25 PM
Freddie,

In addition to your work with Tessie Hill, I saw you played bass on the monster Floaters single“Float on” and the album, and credited as a bassist on The Spinners Dancin’ and Lovin’ album. Any interesting anecdotes?
Mike

Probbie24
04-11-2024, 08:59 PM
Hello, I just saw your question. Maybe you did get an answer but Tessie Hill made her transition on July 31, 2019. For a reference, I am the bass player on her album "Great Things and every other album she did. All with The Late Eddie Robinson except "Steppin Out" and the songs produced by Sylvia Moy. Ironically, I also recorded with Sylvia right after she left Motown for almost two years and feel so horned to have known both of them/ Freddie Guy Hutson I have Tessie Hill's gospel CD greatest hits And your Bass playing is on point! Almost the same hard sound as the mid-60's Motown recordings. Especially on "Great Things". Thanks again for your gift of music.l