PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful news! Get your motown requests ready!!!

test

Philles/Motown Gary
01-15-2015, 03:31 AM
This evening, Joe Marchese of The Second Disc [[the daily newsletter keeping us abreast of new and upcoming CD releases) has announced a partnership between The Second Disc and Real Gone Music which will result in a new CD label – Second Disc Records.

Joe says that since its founding in 2011, Real Gone has rescued music that might otherwise have languished in a dusty vault or relegated to digital download – music that lives up to the label’s name – in splendidly remastered and generously expanded CD editions.

The article further states that “our initial release slate in March 2015, co-produced by Real Gone Music’s Gordon Anderson and The Second Disc’s Joe Marchese, features a 2-CD complete compendium of the one and only Johnny Mathis’ musical collaborations with songwriter-producer-arranger-conductor and Philadelphia soul legend Thom Bell [[The Spinners, The Stylistics, The Delfonics). The Complete Thom Bell Sessions boasts their 1973 classic I’m Coming Home, the 1977 “sequel” Mathis Is… in its worldwide CD debut, and a host of bonus tracks including Mathis and Bell’s 1991 reunion, other Mathis renditions of Bell classics, rare single versions, and previously unreleased instrumental mixes spotlighting Bell’s lush orchestrations!

[[At long last – Johnny Mathis’ "MATHIS IS" will be released in all its Philly-Soul elegance on CD!)

Fellow Motowners, here’s the part that you’ll love:

The article further states, “We hope you’ll join us for the ride as we take The Second Disc into the next five years. We want your suggestions as to what albums you’d like to see get the Second Disc Records treatment, and thanks for your support of The Second Disc. Please click on the Second Disc Records tab for full track listings and more details on both titles coming on March 10 plus a link to send us your suggestions and/or comments!”

[[See my Link Below to open The Second Disc. Then click on “Contact Us” to make your Motown and/or other CD requests.

[[NOTE: “The Next Five Years” proves that, despite what some people may want us to believe, the CD is NOT dying out. It is alive and well, and promises big hopes for the future!) - Gary

http://theseconddisc.com/

marybrewster
01-15-2015, 11:30 AM
THANK YOU for sharing this! Now this is some news!

I sent my suggestions:

DRATS - "Funny Girl"
The Supremes - "A Go Go"
Mary Wilson - "Mary Wilson"

thanxal
01-15-2015, 11:50 AM

I sent my suggestions:

DRATS - "Funny Girl"
The Supremes - "A Go Go"
Marybrewster, I couldn't agree more, except to add "Baby, It's Me". I love that album.

masterblaster
01-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Just requested all Junior Walkers 1970's output. Suggested a 2-4-1 package in the same manner as the Gladys Knight Motoen album releases some years ago. Some great albums, most of which have never been made available on CD. Here's hoping.

johnny_raven
01-15-2015, 01:21 PM
I suggested all of Jr. Walker, The Undisputed Truth, & Blinky Williams.

marybrewster
01-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Marybrewster, I couldn't agree more, except to add "Baby, It's Me". I love that album.

I knew I forgot something! I'll be sure to suggest that as well.

Makes perfect sense that someone would want to release these in physical form; clearly there is still plenty of interest. All of the hard work is done, THANKS to Andy and George and Co. How wonderful to see the fruits of their love and labor on a shiny disc. To hold their beautiful, lush booklets in your hand.

While some have considered these just "expanded releases", I'd go out on a limb to say that some, myself included, looked at these as collector's items. Some were presented as "limited edition"; wouldn't it be absoluely supreme to be able to continue the series we've all been diligently amassing for over a decade now?

Think of it like this: Franklin Mint starts a collection of Presdental plates. They're gorgeous. Fine china. Half way through; maybe when they get to President Kennedy, they decide; you know what? From now on, we're just going to create a sticker that you can download, and you can adhere it to a Chinet paper plate. Sure it serves the same purpose, BUT WE DESERVE FINE CHINA!

Philles/Motown Gary
01-15-2015, 06:14 PM

I sent my suggestions:

DRATS - "Funny Girl"
The Supremes - "A Go Go"

You're welcome, Mary. You made some great requests, BTW! - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
01-15-2015, 06:56 PM
I knew I forgot something! I'll be sure to suggest that as well.

Makes perfect sense that someone would want to release these in physical form; clearly there is still plenty of interest. All of the hard work is done, THANKS to Andy and George and Co. How wonderful to see the fruits of their love and labor on a shiny disc. To hold their beautiful, lush booklets in your hand.

While some have considered these just "expanded releases", I'd go out on a limb to say that some, myself included, looked at these as collector's items. Some were presented as "limited edition"; wouldn't it be absoluely supreme to be able to continue the series we've all been diligently amassing for over a decade now?

Think of it like this: Franklin Mint starts a collection of Presdental plates. They're gorgeous. Fine china. Half way through; maybe when they get to President Kennedy, they decide; you know what? From now on, we're just going to create a sticker that you can download, and you can adhere it to a Chinet paper plate. Sure it serves the same purpose, BUT WE DESERVE FINE CHINA!

Damn right, Mary! I couldn't have said it better myself! It reminds me of Bear Family Records in Germany which, back in the 1990's, was considered the Cadillac of CD reissue labels for American recording artists. Released in gorgeous 12" x 12" deluxe 5-CD boxed sets, they covered the complete recordings of a given artists, including both released and previously unreleased tracks -- oftentimes requiring several volumes to complete a particular artist's sessionography. Two artists in particular who I committed myself to purchasing their complete recordings were Connie Francis and Brenda Lee. Bear Family started out with a bang on these two artists. In fact, they were up to the fouth installment of Connie Francis' complete sessionography [[Discs 16-20) representing the middle of her career when, for whatever reason and without warning, they stopped. Bear Family crapped out and left us hanging mid-way through the project. Mind you, these boxed sets were not cheap. Each one contained a deluxe 12" x 12" booklet [[sometimes a hard-cover book) and they typically cost $100 or more. Stopping in the middle of the project was a shock and an insult. Since then, some of Connie's later albums have been released on other reissue labels as individual two-fer CDs. Unfortunately, the missing albums are usually coupled with albums that Bear Family already covered resulting in a series of unwanted duplicates. It was a mess! Finally, I said to hell with it. It just isn't worth it. All in all, your point about Universal crapping out when they're THIS CLOSE to the end of the series is well made and well taken. - Gary[QUOTE/B]

waldo
01-15-2015, 08:28 PM
My Name Is Jermaine & Feel The Fire
Syreeta - The Spell

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
01-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Phillies/Motown Gary: There were four Connie Francis Box Sets released through Bear Family? I must have missed the last two. Can you please give me a link or Titles of the last 2 please?

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
01-16-2015, 12:55 AM
This evening, Joe Marchese of The Second Disc [[the daily newsletter keeping us abreast of new and upcoming CD releases) has announced a partnership between The Second Disc and Real Gone Music which will result in a new CD label – Second Disc Records.

Joe says that since its founding in 2011, Real Gone has rescued music that might otherwise have languished in a dusty vault or relegated to digital download – music that lives up to the label’s name – in splendidly remastered and generously expanded CD editions.

The article further states that “our initial release slate in March 2015, co-produced by Real Gone Music’s Gordon Anderson and The Second Disc’s Joe Marchese, features a 2-CD complete compendium of the one and only Johnny Mathis’ musical collaborations with songwriter-producer-arranger-conductor and Philadelphia soul legend Thom Bell [[The Spinners, The Stylistics, The Delfonics). The Complete Thom Bell Sessions boasts their 1973 classic I’m Coming Home, the 1977 “sequel” Mathis Is… in its worldwide CD debut, and a host of bonus tracks including Mathis and Bell’s 1991 reunion, other Mathis renditions of Bell classics, rare single versions, and previously unreleased instrumental mixes spotlighting Bell’s lush orchestrations!

[[At long last – Johnny Mathis’ "MATHIS IS" will be released in all its Philly-Soul elegance on CD!)

Fellow Motowners, here’s the part that you’ll love:

The article further states, “We hope you’ll join us for the ride as we take The Second Disc into the next five years. We want your suggestions as to what albums you’d like to see get the Second Disc Records treatment, and thanks for your support of The Second Disc. Please click on the Second Disc Records tab for full track listings and more details on both titles coming on March 10 plus a link to send us your suggestions and/or comments!”

[[See my Link Below to open The Second Disc. Then click on “Contact Us” to make your Motown and/or other CD requests.

[[NOTE: “The Next Five Years” proves that, despite what some people may want us to believe, the CD is NOT dying out. It is alive and well, and promises big hopes for the future!) - Gary

http://theseconddisc.com/

But do they have access to the Motown albums [[stereo/mono) and Unreleased songs?

Philles/Motown Gary
01-16-2015, 02:01 AM
Phillies/Motown Gary: There were four Connie Francis Box Sets released through Bear Family? I must have missed the last two. Can you please give me a link or Titles of the last 2 please?

Aaron, there were three Bear Family CD boxed sets devoted to the complete recordings of Connie Francis. When they got to what would have been the fourth [[the equivalent of Discs 16-20), they stopped. Here are the three as follows:

1. "White Sox, Pink Lipstick...And Stupid Cupid"

http://www.amazon.com/White-Pink-Lipstick-Stupid-Cupid/dp/B0000282VX/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1421386924&sr=8-6&keywords=connie+francis+bear+family

2. "Kissin, Twistin’, Goin’ Where The Boys Are"

http://www.amazon.com/Kissin-Twistin-Goin-Where-Boys/dp/B000006YSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421386924&sr=8-1&keywords=connie+francis+bear+family

3. "Lass Mir Die Bunten Träume" [[This Bear Family 5-CD boxed set concentrated solely on Connie’s complete MGM output in Germany, some tracks of which were never released here in the U.S. [[One track in particular which is my favorite from this set is Connie’s German-language version of the standard ballad, "Whispering". Gorgeous! I’ve never been one for foreign-language recordings by any artist, but there’s something about this set that makes you love it. Note that the customer reviews rave about this release as well. Unfortunately, now that this set is long out of print, a third-party price-gouger on Amazon has a brand new copy available for $300. Here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lass-Mir-Die-Bunten-Tr%C3%A4ume/dp/B0000282SO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1421387200&sr=8-17&keywords=connie+francis+bear+family

Hope this helps. - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
01-16-2015, 02:26 AM
But do they have access to the Motown albums [[stereo/mono) and Unreleased songs?

Aaron, I don’t know why they wouldn’t. Universal leases authorized copies of Motown’s master tapes to other CD labels such as Reel Music, ACE/Kent, BBR [[Big Break Records), etc. As long as the price is right, I don’t know why Second Disc Records/Real Gone Music would be any different.

lakedistrictlad1
01-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Come on everybody -

Funny Girl/A GoGo/Baby It's Me....

Universal aren't listening to their fans...so let's get these done by Second Disc Records.