PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Natural Resources

test

stopinthenameoflove
11-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Was just listening to this again - this is probably my favourite Vandellas album. I love the covers on it - anyone agree?

stephanie
11-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Ahhhh my favorite album of theirs. Easily Persuaded is a perfect single and the background vocals make the song work along with that dangerous souding beginning. I wished this had been a hit because it deserves it. Martha sounds like she had a great time on it and the other song that blew me away was Take a Look in Your Mirror! Never on a whole album other than Black Magic did Marthas interpretation of every song blow me away. I think the only song on here I can do without is Everybodys Talkin at Me.

captainjames
11-20-2010, 07:14 PM
A great CD but I never open my LP of this.

1382hitsville
11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
to me this is the best Martha cd.

westgrandboulevard
11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I love "Didn't We", especially that glorious final note......

reese
11-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Not my favorite Vandellas album by a long shot, but enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of the covers. To me, the originals like I'M IN LOVE, I SHOULD BE PROUD, and WON'T IT BE SO WONDERFUL are the best songs on the album.

daviddesper
11-21-2010, 01:18 AM
I loved the cover of the album, and thought it was right up there with the Marvelettes' "In Full Bloom" in terms of thinking outside the box. But musically, "Natural Resources" just didn't do it for me. I thought it showed too much of a departure from their style and was a step backward, especially since there was not even one viable single on the record. I personally liked a couple of the songs [[Easily Persuaded and I'm in Love come to mind) but overall I thought it was one of their weakest albums. But then when "Black Magic" came out, I thought it was sensational, one of their best ever, and although I was disappointed to learn it was the end of the group's existence, at least they went out with a bang!

topdiva1
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Great album for sure - but Black Magic and the classic Watch Out are great as well.

carlo
11-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I love "Didn't We", especially that glorious final note......

Me too!! It gives me chills.

daviddesper
11-22-2010, 12:51 AM
I would definitely agree with you that those two were their standout albums. And although Sugar n Spice came across as a little cheesy in places, I wouldn't put it too far behind those two in overall quality.

Motown_M_1056
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Not my favorite Vandellas album by a long shot, but enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of the covers. To me, the originals like I'M IN LOVE, I SHOULD BE PROUD, and WON'T IT BE SO WONDERFUL are the best songs on the album.

I didn't buy the album until years after it was released. I used to buy some singles by some artists' first and if I liked both sides, I would then spring for the album.
In 1970, I was played the single version of I Should Be Proud and didn't like it. This made me decide against getting the LP. It's not my favorite Vandellas' LP but I like some of it better than I used to. Love Guess Who has a great arrangement.

REDHOT
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I love, Love guess who, And MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS'S BLACK MAGICE, Album was there best,Ever[[to me).
Please stay positive

johnjeb
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Watchout! is in my top five Motown albums, the songs and the cover. I love Black Magic and Ridin' High almost as much.

Sugar 'n Spice took many listens to appreciate some of the songs. Natural Resources has it's moments, "Easily Persuaded" a favorite of mine. Neither of these two LPs covers appeal to me in the slightest.

Prior to RH, SnS and NR being available on CD I burned these albums onto CDR. I arranged the songs so that the Motown songs were first and the pop and standards came later. It helped me appreciate the non-Motown songs a bit more.