PDA

View Full Version : Salsoul Records

test

daddyacey
08-08-2010, 03:31 AM
As I was going through my 12' I noticed that the Salsoul label of all the "independents" that sprang up during the revolutionary period in Soul/Dance/Funk music was unique in its own right. The Cayre Bros. N.Y. label and Gamble & Huff's P.I.R label share the equivalent of The Funk Bros. ,in regards to studio players ,such as Baker ,Harris and Young , strings of Don Renaldo ,Bobby Eli ,Bunny Sigler ,percussion of Larry Washington , and vibes of Vince Montana of Philly as the core of their sound. Salsoul however went one step further in that it served as an outlet for producers like Patrick Adams ,Leroy Burgess ,Stan Lucas ,Soloman Roberts and others ,along with the introduction of mixers like Moulton ,Gibbons ,Levan and combined the sounds of Philly and N.Y. Salsoul records document the works of B.H.Y. ,Holloway ,Brown ,First Choice ,Skyy ,The Salsoul Orch ,[[Which is damn near the same as M.F.S.B.).
I think that Salsoul is one of the most influential "independent" labels of the late 70's and early 80's. Any comments on this???

cozmic
08-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Interesting subject Daddyacey ! I remember seeing this following informative site online :

http://hem.bredband.net/funkyflyy/salsoul/story.html

http://hem.bredband.net/funkyflyy/salsoul/index.html

The Aurra-file has this segment posted about the label and the Cayre bros :

"Ken Cayre sold the whole Salsoul catalog to RCA for $100.000.000.00. Ken and his brothers were starting a new gold mine, Good Times Home Videos."

kevgo
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Daddyacey:

The Salsoul Orchestra was indeed MFSB!!!

As far as an influential label, didn't Salsoul issue the first 12" dance record - "Ten Percent" by Double Exposure? If that is the case then Salsoul was definitely ahead of the curve. In addition, they released excellent music by artists such as First Choice, Double Exposure and many others.

Years ago, Bobby Eli shared with me an interesting story regarding "Double Exposure"...when the band was cutting the track the groove went so damn good that they kept playing long after the reel of tape ran out! No wonder the song was fifteen minutes long when it was released!!

Kevin Goins - KevGo

daddyacey
08-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Kev, I have a discography of Salsoul Records that I got from a site -- discomuseum.com -- some years back. I don't know if it is still active ,but I printed it out. It lists these as the first 12" catalog numbers.
12D-2001--Floyd Smith I Just Can't Give You Up [[1975)
12D-2002-- Salsoul Orch. The Salsoul Hustle
Ten Percent is 12D--2008 [[1975) , and the first pressings had "Limited Edition" on the label. I don't know , and can't recall if the releases before #2008 were promo only , but the promo copies released always had the DJ prefix added to the record number. I do recall that it was one of the biggest selling of the first commercial 12" release format.

jsmith
08-11-2010, 02:37 AM
The site has moved to .... http://www.discomuseum.net/introduction.html
but it doesn't seem to be fully up & running yet [[can't access the Salsoul labels page for instance).

tom_moulton
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Don't he Wish!