PDA

View Full Version : Over 50 Alive and Kicking Music Is Magic !!

test

milven
01-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Did anyone see 60 Minutes yesterday? They did a wonderful piece on people over 50 who a hard life, but loved music. Vi Higginson listened to the stories of these people and put together a show with them singing about their real stories. I remember Vi from years ago when she was a dee-jay at WBLS. But since then she has put together quite a few musical shows, many playing at the BEACON THEATER. If you have an extra twenty minutes, watch the two part video. It will make you feel good.

A show opened in New York recently that didn't get a whole lot of attention, but it features some of the most powerful singing voices you've never heard. You haven't heard them because for most of the performers, this is their first time on the stage. They've been singing their whole lives -- in church, in amateur groups, in the shower -- but like so many who had dreams of making it big, life somehow got in the way.

The show was created by a theater producer and former disc jockey named Vy Higginsen, who has made it her mission to preserve a special part of American culture: African-American music, both gospel and popular music like soul and R&B. She found a pool of untapped talent, men and women in what she calls their "second half of life" just waiting for their chance to shine.

The show is called "Alive: 55+ and Kickin'," and while that certainly fits the men and women who fill this Harlem stage on Saturday afternoons, "Alive" also refers to the music, and that is just how Vy Higginsen wants it.

PART 1

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alive-and-kickin/

PART 2

nysister
01-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Did anyone see 60 Minutes yesterday? They did a wonderful piece on people over 50 who a hard life, but loved music. Vi Higginson listened to the stories of these people and put together a show with them singing about their real stories. I remember Vi from years ago when she was a dee-jay at WBLS. But since then she has put together quite a few musical shows, many playing at the BEACON THEATER. If you have an extra twenty minutes, watch the two part video. It will make you feel good.

A show opened in New York recently that didn't get a whole lot of attention, but it features some of the most powerful singing voices you've never heard. You haven't heard them because for most of the performers, this is their first time on the stage. They've been singing their whole lives -- in church, in amateur groups, in the shower -- but like so many who had dreams of making it big, life somehow got in the way.

The show was created by a theater producer and former disc jockey named Vy Higginsen, who has made it her mission to preserve a special part of American culture: African-American music, both gospel and popular music like soul and R&B. She found a pool of untapped talent, men and women in what she calls their "second half of life" just waiting for their chance to shine.

The show is called "Alive: 55+ and Kickin'," and while that certainly fits the men and women who fill this Harlem stage on Saturday afternoons, "Alive" also refers to the music, and that is just how Vy Higginsen wants it.

PART 1

PART 2

I did see this story on 60 minutes, and I plan to see the show when it returns in the Spring. I remember seeing the Ads for this musical but never realized that this was Vi's production. I did see her first musical many years ago that was based on her sister Doris Troy life, titled "Mama I Want To Sing."

theboyfromxtown
01-06-2015, 12:59 PM
You beat me to the punch NYsister.

I saw that show in London twice....once with Chaka and then with Deniece Williams. Bought the cd album too.

milven
01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
I did see this story on 60 minutes, and I plan to see the show when it returns in the Spring. I remember seeing the Ads for this musical but never realized that this was Vi's production. I did see her first musical many years ago that was based on her sister Doris Troy life, titled "Mama I Want To Sing."

I never saw any of Vi's productions and I am embarrassed to admit that I did not realize or know that Mama I Want To Sing was about Doris Troy or that Doris was Vi's sister. I do remember Vi as a dee-jay along with G. Keith Alexander - Ken Webb - Fred Buggs and the Chief Rocker at BLS