PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Get For Your Motown Christmas?

test

TomBairdFan
12-30-2014, 12:20 PM
I always like to get a few Motown CDs in my stocking. OK, so they were presents to myself, but isn't that who the best pressies come from? Having donated my extensive Motown LP collection to charity earlier this year, I needed to fill some gaps! One of the items that I treated myself to was the ''Cooley High'' soundtrack CD, having been inspired by the Diana Ross and The Supremes 2001 U.S. Anthology which I got a few months ago. It featured the ''Cooley High Mix'' of ''Baby Love'', which reminded me of how gorgeous every track on ''Cooley High'' sounded when I used to own it on LP. There's nothing on the CD version that says who mixed or mastered the 1975 LP release, but Suha Gur did the usual sterling job on the CD re-issue, on which even the stereo mix of the Four Tops ''Reach Out I'll Be There'' sounds amazing! And Luther Allison sounds like he's doing his guitar gymnastics right there in your room!
Other Christmas goodies included a handful of the inexpensive Gordon Frewin-compiled 'Motown The History' Britannia Music CDs from Amazon's Marketplace, purchased because they sound so consistently good. At the bottom of my stocking were several of the 'Compact Command' series CDs, because they are ideal for just popping into the CD player and hearing a Motowner's very best hits within the space of an hour [[Confession: I purchased the Jr. Walker set because I wanted a direct-to-digital full-length version of ''Way Back Home'' to complete my collection!). There's just something about the sound of the Compact Command series that is often preferable to the re-mastered recordings. Being able to pick up different recordings like this is where CDs have still got downloads beat, and besides, downloads don't fit in Christmas stockings!
Top of my Christmas heap of CDs was the Japanese CD re-issue of Yvonne Fair's ''The Bitch Is Black'' - as scintillating as it gets when Norman Whitfield's in charge, plus any Motown recordings with Ed Greene on drums are an extra bonus! I enjoyed reading the quirky lyric translations into English in the booklet [[for example: 'Take a load off fanny and put it on me' from ''Stay A Little Longer''!). Speaking of Ed Greene, I think it's time to stop typing and put on the headphones to enjoy The Originals' ''California Sunset''.
So, what did you get for your Motown Christmas?
Happy Motown grooving to everyone in 2015!

thommg
12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Well, I'm pretty caught up on my Motown CD's but I did ask for, and received, the Motown Encyclopedia. It is a fantastic book! I have been grabbing it before bed and reading through a handful of entries each night. So much information laid out in a very organized and easy way. Here's to 2015!

woodward
12-30-2014, 04:14 PM
So, what did you get for your Motown Christmas?
Happy Motown grooving to everyone in 2015![/QUOTE]

I am pleased to say that my one Motown Christmas gift from my sister was Satisfaction Guaranteed, Motown Guys 1961-69. What more could I ask for?

thomas96
12-30-2014, 06:59 PM
I didn't get a thing other than clothing for Christmas.

marv2
12-30-2014, 07:02 PM
I didn't get a thing other than clothing for Christmas.

I got everything from beer mugs, to sweaters to DVD's the complete "Outer Limits" series from the 60s! LOL!

johnjeb
01-03-2015, 10:23 AM
This was a lean year for Motown releases. Not even sure if I bought myself any CDs at all. But I did hit the jackpot for my December birthday and Christmas:

CDs:
Satisfaction Guaranteed Motown Guys: 1961-69 [[very good)
The Contours and Dennis Edwards 1965-68 [[excellent)
Eddie Holland - It Moves Me 1958-1964 [[excellent)
Martha Reeves - The Rest of My Life [[It arrived after Christmas - why do companies wait for December to release CDs?)
Dionne Warwick - Unissued Warner Bros Masters [[better than I thought it would be)
Bette Midler - It's The Girls [[very good)
Diana Ross - Swept Away [[the only CD by DR that I never bought when it came out, although I have the vinyl and probably had a cassette tape. I wasn't going to pay $16 for a CD back then!!! Never could find it new at a discount. Although I enjoyed the album at the time, I was not swept away when I played the CD.)

Motown 25 DVD

Bettye LaVette - A Woman Like Me [[Kindle book)
Taraborrelli's 2nd DR bio [[Kindle book) - which I bought in hardcover when it was released but haven't read yet. Still deciding if I should accept it or get credit for something else - maybe Aretha's bio, however the DR bio has a great appendix to reference and browse.

I passed on tickets for the Motown Musical when it comes to Boston next month. I can wait ten years for when the local high school does it.

So I did well for an old man!!!

PS: It does help to tell your nearest and dearest that you don't want or need any clothes or any crap that they find cute - or else!!!