PDA

View Full Version : Ashlee Simpson wants to take mother-in law Diana Ross' name

test

milven
12-30-2014, 10:12 AM
FROM TMZ.COM:

Ashlee Simpson wants make her mother-in-law, Diana Ross' last name her official surname.

Thought the 30-year-old singer had married Ross' son, Evan Ross, in August, his legal name is Evan Naess, which was his father's surname, TMZ.com reported.

Now, the pair, who is expecting their first child, wants to change their name and have filed a request to change their last names to Ross-Naess, and are awaiting judges' approval.

milven
12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
FROM JEZABEL

Ashlee Simpson to Officially Become a Ross
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--WSpFA4hN--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/puaxbjneqhipmhblbst2.jpg

Earlier this year, Ashlee Simpson married into a family helmed by one of the greatest divas to ever grace the world with her presence and magnificent hair: Ms. Diana Ross. Simpson and Evan Ross were wed in August and now Jessica Simpson's sister wants to make it very clear that Diana Ross is her mother-in-law.

Evan only uses the last name Ross for professional purposes. Legally, he shares his father's last name, Naess. Now, he and Simpson have filed requests to legally change their last name to Ross-Naess according to TMZ.

We can only speculate as to why they've decided to adopt the name Ross. It might be an homage to Evan's mother. Perhaps they want to me more like Evan's sister, Tracee Ellis Ross. Or maybe Ashlee recognizes that the Ross name is a regal gift that carries the weight of grade-A divadom and voluminous hair.

Soon it will be impossible to ignore the truth that yes, Ashlee Simpson is, indeed, related to the lead singer of The Supremes and the woman who could rock an gloriously ostentatious gown like no other. Ashlee Simpson, the "singer" who did a damn jig on the SNL stage, gets to call an actual musical goddess "mom." Ashlee Simpson can theoretically play dress-up in Diana Ross's closet and probably gets to hear her sing "Endless Love" whenever she feels like it. I'm not saying that it's wildly unfair that Ashlee Simpson is Diana Ross' daughter—I'm just saying, maybe some of us deserve it more and would totally, 100% respect and treasure that gift forever and ever.

http://jezebel.com/ashlee-simpson-to-officially-become-a-ross-1676115332

marybrewster
12-30-2014, 10:25 AM
I always find it funny that Ashlee is continually referred to as "Jessica Simpson's sister" and Evan is always referred to as "Diana Ross' son." As if they don't have enough merit on their own.

smark21
12-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Children and siblings of big stars [[or in the case of Jessica, a short lived big star) often live in the shadows of their more famous relatives, unless they do something to truly establish their own distinct identity in entertainment, i.e., Michael Douglas, Natalie Cole, Liza Minnelli, or even Tracee Ellis Ross. Despite their various projects, neither Evan or Ashlee have really broken through as distinct personalities, except perhaps for being exposed as a lipsynching fraud, in the case of Ashlee.

As for Ashlee changing her last name to Ross-Naess, it's not exactly novel for a wife to take her husband's name. It's been done a handful of times over the centuries.

thomas96
12-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Explain what this has to do with Motown...

milven
12-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Explain what this has to do with Motown...

Really ? Discussing something that is going on in the family of one of Motown's biggest stars has nothing to do with Motown? What should be discussed? Just the music or may we also talk about the lives of the people who made the music?

We need clarification

supremester
12-31-2014, 12:18 AM
I'll clarify it: just ignore him. If he didn't like the thread, he should have skipped it. To sign on just to bitch - AGAIN - is kind of sad. He knows Miss Ross is Motown, he just hasn't anything better to do with his time.

I don't get why all the speculation about the name change. Evan is already known as Ross, adding his Dads name to his moms seems just a sign of respect to a loving parent and one he lost tragically at 15. People act like there's some secret agenda or code to blow up the world. What's the big deal why?

I admit I didn't know who Ashlee Simpson was before she dated Evan. I knew about The SNL debacle but so she got caught lipping on TV - everyone lips on TV sometimes - what's the difference about this? She had a #1 album after it, I think, so... WGAF?

milven
12-31-2014, 01:20 AM
....I don't get why all the speculation about the name change. Evan is already known as Ross, adding his Dads name to his moms seems just a sign of respect to a loving parent and one he lost tragically at 15. ...

There were a few articles on the net about this and the way I understood it is that his legal name is Even Naess. So when he married, his wife became Ashlee Naess. After he legally changes his name, they will be Mr and Mrs Evan Ross-Naess. But I think Evan will still be known professionally as Evan Ross.

Mellissa Rivers also took her mother's name professionally, but legally kept her father's name

[[Now, just so that this can be included in the Motown Forum , let me say that there is speculation that Ashlee is going to sign a very lucrative long term contract with Motown Records. Of course, the only one speculating is me, just because it now gives me "permission" to post this in Motown Forum. :););))

smark21
12-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Most acts who go on SNL sing live. What happened with Ashlee that caused such a stir was that the wrong track was played; when she realized what went wrong, she did a little hoe down jig then fled the stage while her band looked on in amused contempt for her. Her die hard fans rallied and ran off to buy her new album the next week, but by then she had become a huge joke and her singing career pretty much crashed and burned.

She took on the name of her first husband, Pete Wentz and billed herself as Ashlee Simpson Wentz and was cast in the reboot of Melrose Place in 2008. She received horrible notices for her acting and her character was written out of the show. Of course the show itself didn't last too much longer after her character left. Fairly or unfairly, she has a reputation as a joke in the entertainment world.

soulster
12-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Explain what this has to do with Motown... I only clicked on this thread to...well, I have no idea of why, except to expect the usual outrage. I see nothing wrong with what she wants to do. If Evan uses Ross as his business name, why not name the kid Ross-Naess.

You know, in other cultures, especially Latino, having hyphenated surnames is very common, some with more than two. They want their children to reflect all of their ancestors.

I say that this is just another "there are more important things going on in the world than this" kind of topic.

Carry on everybody...

Bokiluis
01-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Well, another New Year has begun on The Forum. And, if there are a few things I have learned about signing on here is......
1) It is one of the best forums for anyone who has a deep interest in all things Motown.
2) Proceed with caution because it is riddled with pitfalls and minefields.
3) At least in my case, it ain't for the weak at heart or a sensitive soul.
Decade[[s) since the birth of the wide world web, and there are some mean spirited, not too nice and not too kind people who hide behind "usernames", of which I am certain to have also been guilty of.
If we could only "stop for a moment" before we "hit send" OR "hit delete" if our better selves informs us OR utilize Forum tools like "private messaging" OR remember your olde English teacher, Mother Superior Juana Teresa....maybe, just maybe or maybe NOT, we might not fall prey to constantly being misunderstood on the battlefield known as "email, chatting, twittering, posting, etc.".
"I'm Still Waiting" [[BPI-#1...Gold Single...10/70,10/71)

soulster
01-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Well, another New Year has begun on The Forum. And, if there are a few things I have learned about signing on here is......
1) It is one of the best forums for anyone who has a deep interest in all things Motown.
2) Proceed with caution because it is riddled with pitfalls and minefields.
3) At least in my case, it ain't for the weak at heart or a sensitive soul.
Decade[[s) since the birth of the wide world web, and there are some mean spirited, not too nice and not too kind people who hide behind "usernames", of which I am certain to have also been guilty of.
If we could only "stop for a moment" before we "hit send" OR "hit delete" if our better selves informs us OR utilize Forum tools like "private messaging" OR remember your olde English teacher, Mother Superior Juana Teresa....maybe, just maybe or maybe NOT, we might not fall prey to constantly being misunderstood on the battlefield known as "email, chatting, twittering, posting, etc.".
"I'm Still Waiting" [[BPI-#1...Gold Single...10/70,10/71) I have a new year's wish for this forum, that there will be a much more diverse range of topics posted and discussed, rather than opening the new posts or threads and seeing nothing but threads about U know who. And, remember, the topics do not have to all be Motown-related.

Sorry for the negativity, but for the last two or three days, every time I come on the forum, that's all I see.

jobeterob
01-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Naess is a fairly rare name and it is not a big surprise that Evan mostly uses Ross, but I've heard him introduced at some Diana Award Ceremonies as Evan Ross Naess.

It is true that for some serious issues, SD is being sidestepped because it is known for the prevalence of bitching and whining by anonymous people and for a crank.

That's a shame because we might occasionally receive more hard information if this bitchy whining found another home.

soulster
01-01-2015, 10:53 PM
They don't have to be serious issues, just have a more diverse range of topics. I mean, there has to have been more artists who recorded for Motown, and in Detroit than three or four women.

jobeterob
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Yes, but no one pay much attention to Junior Walker threads, Stevie Wonder threads or even ones about the Temptations or Four Tops. Then there are thousands of views for Diana Ross related threads.

All the news fits; and we need to pick and choose.

But it is true that this Forum is being avoided for some serious health matters because it is mostly anonymous and because it has a mean edge.

soulster
01-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Yes, but no one pay much attention to Junior Walker threads, Stevie Wonder threads or even ones about the Temptations or Four Tops. Then there are thousands of views for Diana Ross related threads.

Yeah, why is that???