PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Barnes legacy at Motown Records

test

woodward
12-28-2014, 12:07 PM
I just received my Satisfaction Guaranteed Motown Guys 1961-1969 and I read the notes about Safety Zone by Marv Johnson. The notes say that Sidney Barnes of the Serenaders wrote this song along with George Kerr. A demo of the song with Sidney Barnes singing was pressed on a Motown acetate, via which it became known to collectors, but Marv's version hasn't been heard until now. In his autobiography Barnes relates how he was great pals with Johnson and it may be the song was intended for him from the start.

Does anyone else know any involvement of Sidney Barnes with Motown other than the Serenaders?

robb_k
12-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Sidney and George Kerr were hired as a song-writing team and production team by New York's Jobete Music office in 1963. He served in that capacity in 1963 and 1964.

woodward
12-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Sidney and George Kerr were hired as a song-writing team and production team by New York's Jobete Music office in 1963. He served in that capacity in 1963 and 1964.

Robb_k: What is your interpretation of the comment made about his being great pals with Marv Johnson? I think he may have been stretching the truth a little bit.