PDA

View Full Version : supremes stoned love #1 on r@b chart 44 yrs ago

test

franjoy56
12-26-2014, 01:00 AM
The supremes glorious peace and love message song featuring jean terrell on lead and m@ry and cindy on backing vocals peaked at # 1 on billboards r@b chart on 12.26.70 thru 1.1.71, #3 in england and no. 7 on the pop chart in america. The song was performed on the tom jones show in november and the flip wilson show in january. The album new ways but love stays peaked at a disappointing number 68 still the album was a versatile work with hints of psychedelic influences.

marv2
12-26-2014, 12:25 PM
The supremes glorious peace and love message song featuring jean terrell on lead and m@ry and cindy on backing vocals peaked at # 1 on billboards r@b chart on 12.26.70 thru 1.1.71, #3 in england and no. 7 on the pop chart in america. The song was performed on the tom jones show in november and the flip wilson show in january. The album new ways but love stays peaked at a disappointing number 68 still the album was a versatile work with hints of psychedelic influences.

Great song! Probably the best they ever did. It still holds up well. I played it over the holiday.

florence
12-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Stoned Love was hot, hot, hot!

It did even better on Cashbox and Record World where it went top 5.

Massive in the UK - it is the 27th biggest selling Motown record of all time here.

It's not my favourite post-Diana song though, that's Nathan Jones.

jobeterob
12-26-2014, 08:18 PM
It hasn't aged that well but at the time I thought this was the song that would be a huge breakthrough or comeback for the Supremes. There wasn't a followup ready or the album didn't take off - for some reason the momentum fizzled

franjoy56
12-26-2014, 11:08 PM
It hasn't aged that well but at the time I thought this was the song that would be a huge breakthrough or comeback for the Supremes. There wasn't a followup ready or the album didn't take off - for some reason the momentum fizzled
The record has not aged a bit especially t extended lp version a 2nd single should have been ready from that album. Together w c make such seeet music, or i wish i were ur mirror were good choices or an earlier relesse date for nathan jones or a single edit for johnny raven

marv2
12-27-2014, 05:29 AM
The record has not aged a bit especially t extended lp version a 2nd single should have been ready from that album. Together w c make such seeet music, or i wish i were ur mirror were good choices or an earlier relesse date for nathan jones or a single edit for johnny raven

Not one bit! That is one recording that has retained every once of it's groove from day one! If you have no rhythm, no soul, you will not get it.......... "Stoned Love" is an enduring soulful hymn for peace, love and understanding. A finger snapper, toe tapper if I ever heard one!

The part that goes....."and to the man, on who's shoulders the whole World must depend " always makes me think of President Obama.

marv2
12-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Fran, did you know Manchester band The Stone Roses used the song as their intro track before taking to the stage for each night of their hugely successful 2012 reunion tour?

Here they pose the question of whether "Stoned Love" is the best Pop song ever:

http://louderthanwar.com/stoned-love-resurrected-by-the-stone-roses-and-the-best-pop-song-ever/

marv2
12-27-2014, 12:27 PM
It has been said that the most musicians ever used on a Motown recording was for "Stoned Love".

marv2
12-27-2014, 12:33 PM
It is played here and before every one of the Stone Roses concerts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmvJf5dp-UU

marv2
12-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Listen to the great job these school churren do with their version of the song from earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFgAYHW0csI&list=PL1mrTxN5vu8lUW71L5FNYdUICi-dqmrPI&index=18

supremester
12-28-2014, 01:12 AM
It remains a great record for JMC - aged or not.
It's odd that Motown could market it's singles so brilliantly -
in this case, releasing the short 45 [[3:00) - a guaranteed hit, then issuing the extended promo with the openingm [[3:45) and then servicing the full LP version again to radio as a 45 [[4:40) - [[to eliminate the "hassle" for some stations to play albums) so that all three versions could maximize the popularity of the song PLUS plug for album sales [[since only the shortest edit was available on 45.) There was a sticker on the album that read something to the effect that "Contains the full version of the mash Stoned Love.")

And yet totally blow the album strategy-
It's been agreed that the cover of New Ways wasn't the wisest, but it was understandable in that it was very Supremes-ey - yet did not fit the music inside. However, that did not kill the album as much as the lack of a second, dynamic single and a general lack of interest in the new group. The failure of NWBLS should have been a huge wake up call that JMC were in trouble and were quickly becoming a Vandellas-type group [[singles sell, albums tank) Regardless of the cover, "promotion" or the pull of the moon, there was a big hit single out there with a compelling extended version on the album that was getting a lot of play and yet it tanked. IMHO, there is not another hit on NWBLS - certainly not Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music - a fave among some fans but would have proved a flop on play lists with it's sophomoric lyrics compared to hit protest songs like War & Ball Of Confusion, Sly's songs etc. A second single might have drawn enough buyers to the album to get word of mouth on the worthwhile project and make it - and the group, a hit.
Possibilities: Johnny Raven & Life Beats - both needed extensive work to be radio friendly - especially for both formats - but the nucleus is there.
It's Time To Break Down with a new edit and a bit of add'l vocal work could have done the trick nicely and perhaps reversed the musical direction and fortune of the group.

I just can't imagine why they'd issue sophomore LPs on VIP acts without a direction for single release planned. Must of been some good shit going around in baggies on West Grand Blvd. They did an even worse job on Everything Is Everything at the same time and released no single at all for a year. The Tempts could get away with one single albums as they sold no matter what, but JMC needed to build a following and this was the album to begin that.

Stoned Love was

franjoy56
12-28-2014, 01:27 AM
Listen to the great job these school churren do with their version of the song from earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFgAYHW0csI&list=PL1mrTxN5vu8lUW71L5FNYdUICi-dqmrPI&index=18marvin this choir was is fabulous they included all of t beautiful elements of stoned love including cindys line say it like it is. Where was this performed and what yr it nearly brought tears to my eyes. Thank u f sharing r t stone roses a england band

marv2
12-28-2014, 10:30 AM
marvin this choir was is fabulous they included all of t beautiful elements of stoned love including cindys line say it like it is. Where was this performed and what yr it nearly brought tears to my eyes. Thank u f sharing r t stone roses a england band

Fran, this was performed in April 2014 at a school musical program in the UK. They did a great job in my opinion.

sup_fan
12-28-2014, 11:39 AM
supremester - i didn't know Motown issued so many versions of Stoned Love to the djs. very interesting! i do agree that the company really wasn't adept at selling LP's. of course at this time Gordy was fighting Marvin about What's Going On too. i think if the marketing plan had been better thought out for the Supremes and NWBLS things could have been better. there should have been [[or maybe there were and just not released yet) more pics of the girls in 'fros. that could have built the full campaign around that. needed more poses though besides just the close ups.

also i don't buy the age-old story that Motown freaked out and decided not to name the LP Stones Love. this was a complex album jacket, with the gatefold and die-cuts. the lp was released in Oct at the same time as the single. there's no way with those complex production runs that they could have made the changes at this time. therefore the lp was always intended to be called NWBLS.

as for additional singles, i do think Together would have worked. Shine On Me would have been a good follow up too. not as strong as Stone but probably better to have saved it as a future A side rather than B of Stoned. I think Thank Him For Today, with the outtro of the Stoned theme, would have made a good B side to Stone

i like Time To Break Down but it would have needed a bit of reworking, including more vocals, to make it as a single. too instrumental for Top 40 radio

detmotownguy
12-28-2014, 12:57 PM
I liked Breakdown and always wondered where the group would have happened with a more "rock" influence. Nathan Jones was lead in that direction. But as Mary told me a few years ago, the name Supremes still had some power and so did the old hits. However, I really appreciate the NWBLS album. I am not dissing the Sups 70's work. My hard rock friends really got into Stoned Love.
Thanks

marv2
12-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Stoned Love would have made it to number one on the Pop charts easily if silly radio stations, program directors hadn't pulled because they thought it was a reference to drug use.

jillfoster
12-28-2014, 05:52 PM
As far as second single, "Shine On Me" had the best potential. Motown wasn't big album sellers period... and their music had little exposure on FM radio. Think about other groups at this time.... Steppenwolf only had 2 top 10 hits in their whole career, but had 8 gold albums. The bigger mistake was not following up "Nathan Jones" with "Here Comes The Sunrise".

marv2
12-28-2014, 06:24 PM
As far as second single, "Shine On Me" had the best potential. Motown wasn't big album sellers period... and their music had little exposure on FM radio. Think about other groups at this time.... Steppenwolf only had 2 top 10 hits in their whole career, but had 8 gold albums. The bigger mistake was not following up "Nathan Jones" with "Here Comes The Sunrise".

I agree that Motown was not a big album seller.

jillfoster
12-28-2014, 06:40 PM
I agree that Motown was not a big album seller.

Everyone needs to not angst over the fact that New Ways wasn't a big seller, as great as it was. The Supremes had always been a single act. they had some albums go top 10 or #1.. but for the most part, they were a single act. Think about an act like the Grass Roots. EVERYONE knows who they are, they were huge. 14 top 40 hits, sold out concerts everywhere they went. But they NEVER had a top 10 album, and with the exception of their greatest hits, and greatest hits volume 2, ALL of thier albums landed outside the top 50. Not many sold a ton of BOTH. And if they did, it was just a windfall for the record company... cause the recording artist mostly got none of it.

jobeterob
12-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Everyone needs to not angst over the fact that New Ways wasn't a big seller, as great as it was. The Supremes had always been a single act. they had some albums go top 10 or #1.. but for the most part, they were a single act. Think about an act like the Grass Roots. EVERYONE knows who they are, they were huge. 14 top 40 hits, sold out concerts everywhere they went. But they NEVER had a top 10 album, and with the exception of their greatest hits, and greatest hits volume 2, ALL of thier albums landed outside the top 50. Not many sold a ton of BOTH. And if they did, it was just a windfall for the record company... cause the recording artist mostly got none of it.

The real reason there is angst is only amongst the fans that can't stomach the fact that Diana sold albums, went to the movies, got an Academy Award nomination bla bla bla............there's the only place there is any angst.

For the rest of us, it's just the way things turned out, not a biggie. Mary has given interviews where she said each album did less and less well. She went on and did other things as well.

marv2
12-28-2014, 11:34 PM
The real reason there is angst is only amongst the fans that can't stomach the fact that Diana sold albums, went to the movies, got an Academy Award nomination bla bla bla............there's the only place there is any angst.

For the rest of us, it's just the way things turned out, not a biggie. Mary has given interviews where she said each album did less and less well. She went on and did other things as well.

Diane who? I don't recall her being the subject of this thread.

jillfoster
12-29-2014, 01:45 AM

I only have angst when it comes to singles that were obvious hits not being released as singles. For me, the three biggies in that department in the Supremes career were "Going Down For The Third Time", "Here Comes The Sunrise", and "Bend A Little". They didn't all sell less and less, High energy was the second biggest selling album they had in the 70's. Mary was just spoiled by the MASSIVE success the group enjoyed in 64-68.. and felt that if it didn't continue at that level, somehow it was a failure. It wasn't. The track record of the 70's Supremes is something most struggling groups would give their right ARM for.

jillfoster
12-29-2014, 01:54 AM
Diane who? I don't recall her being the subject of this thread.

Yep... it's about Stoned Love, the greatest song the Supremes ever recorded. AND the biggest selling single of their career, if you include all releases it was included on, worldwide... singles and albums. I've also noticed that Stoned Love is a song people don't tire of. People get sick of Baby Love and Where Did Our Love Go. ME and all my friends even turn the station when those two come on the radio. But everyone loves Stoned Love still.. even my brother.

franjoy56
12-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Yep... it's about Stoned Love, the greatest song the Supremes ever recorded. AND the biggest selling single of their career, if you include all releases it was included on, worldwide... singles and albums. I've also noticed that Stoned Love is a song people don't tire of. People get sick of Baby Love and Where Did Our Love Go. ME and all my friends even turn the station when those two come on the radio. But everyone loves Stoned Love still.. even my brother.jill ur u r right on the supremes had some great music in t 70s stone love and up the ladder at t top of t list just wish a second smash would came behind stone
love and shine on me and here comes t sunrise were excelent choices. Unf shine on me went out as t flip to stone love and motown had no intention of making it an a side sadly.

supremester
12-29-2014, 04:30 AM
Contrary to the horsepookie peddled to a willing public, Motown tried hard to put JMC over. Top producers had Carte Blanche access to them and the duet pairing with The Tops was planned early on, striking hard with the first single. [[personally, I abhor The Mag 7 album - ESPECIALLY Reach out & Touch [[tacky) - but I also don't like the studio LPS DR&TS did with The Tempts - save for a few gems.) If it had been me, I'd have made Frank Wilson work with Nick or Nick & Val as a team - that album was so awful, I was embarrassed to play it through the first time and wanted to return it, but I liked the long version of River Deep.
Motown launched JMC well with a hit debut 45 and a successful album, enough TV and 9 months of straight dates to plug it. All was well. Ditto Ross [[minus the TV and busy concert schedule) - she had her huge, needed, signature smash to establish her. I agree with you about the naming of the album, it was out within days of the 45 - but it made a good story. If Gordy was stooopid enough to not hear Stoned Love, no one else at Motown was. It was edited, pressed, advertised in Billboard and a hit out of the gate. I remember when I first started hearing the LP version on the radio then about a month later, hearing the full intro on the short edit. It wasn't until I visited the PD at KISN that I learned of the 3 promo versions: the short was red vinyl, 3:48 yellow, 4:40 was blue. Clearly they tried hard to work that single - they did the same with River Deep.

Follow ups?
Shine On Me goes nowhere and is too manic like Touch with that silly B section - yet the rest works.
Mirror is too corny lyric wise, but the track smokes.
Time To Break Down has a compelling Jean vocal that makes the record - it could have worked.
I just played TWCMSSM and adjusted levels - it is a well produced track - I'm thinking, in my dotage, cut down to 3:10 it could have worked after all. At the time, it sounded silly to me- like it was trying too hard to make something out of a nothing lyric.
Motown was still staggering JMC/Ross release dates so whatever follow up would have to wait until Remember Me slowed down - causing a loss of momentum for an iffy single. Had they issued a fast follow up or 2, they could have held back Touch until it was more commercially viable with more than just one single-worthy song.
I'm sure they meant well but Motown really messed up big time with the single release schedules of both Ross & JMC. The J5 were lucky to have it done correctly.

By 1970, Motown had not learned their lesson: make albums people want to hear and they will buy the next one and word of mouth will be very helpful.

supremester
12-29-2014, 04:56 AM
I don't think anyone is angsting - more like playing shooda/coooda.

The Grassroots? They weren't huge, they were "successful" but hardly a big live draw. they went Top 10 three times, Top 20 three times and Top 40 eight times. They never sold out anything alone unless it was a small venue perhaps. They toured with other acts opening for The Turtles or with The Zombies - that kind of thing.

jillfoster
12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
I don't think anyone is angsting - more like playing shooda/coooda.

The Grassroots? They weren't huge, they were "successful" but hardly a big live draw. they went Top 10 three times, Top 20 three times and Top 40 eight times. They never sold out anything alone unless it was a small venue perhaps. They toured with other acts opening for The Turtles or with The Zombies - that kind of thing.

Honey, they headlined plenty of times. I've seen them THREE times. My point was they were a staple of AM radio, sold alot of single, but not many albums in comparison, except for the greatest hits packages... which makes sense, because people liked their SINGLES. They were on every talk and variety and music show of the time, including Ed Sullivan.

marv2
12-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Honey, they headlined plenty of times. I've seen them THREE times. My point was they were a staple of AM radio, sold alot of single, but not many albums in comparison, except for the greatest hits packages... which makes sense, because people liked their SINGLES. They were on every talk and variety and music show of the time, including Ed Sullivan.

The Grass Roots were a very popular band when I was growing up.