PDA

View Full Version : BMG Direct Marketing of Motown CDs

test

woodward
12-25-2014, 12:42 PM
I think in the early 1980s and before in the late 1970s, Motown had an agreement with BMG Direct Marketing under license from their Indianapolis, Ind. location. Has anyone ever seen a history of this cooperative effort? Were there any other companies besides BMG that were involved? I recall buying some because BMG gave you perks after you bought numerous CDs and as an inducement to join they gave you maybe 10 CDs for a penny each. They always featured a lot of Motown artists. Any information on them would be appreciated. I believe they are defunct now.

mysterysinger
12-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I noticed this the other day on a Motown CD as below..

reese
12-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Is this BMG situation something like Columbia House? I have seen ads in 60s magazines where many companies, including Motown and Atlantic, as well as Columbia, participated in that.

At some point, Motown must have pulled out. In the 70s, my dad was a member of Columbia House, and I used to wait for the magazine to come. One day, an issue arrived that made a big deal that Motown was now participating. I actually have DIANA ROSS' GREATEST HITS on vinyl, with the initials CRC on the spine, which I think stand for Columbia Record Club.