PDA

View Full Version : Death Of Common Sense

test

positivesoul
11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I could have called this thread "Fever - the Other Version" or "Fever - The Cold Version". There are certain popularly reported "facts" that just defy all my attempts to understand. WHY do so many otherwise intelligent folks buy this hogwash? I'll give my example, maybe you can think of another common sense-defying popular myth.

It has to do with the common cold and similar infections. So many scientists INSIST that neither drafts, cold temperatures or wet clothes with wet hair in chilly conditions have ANYTHING to do with one's susceptibility to sickening germs. NO ONE can tell me that you can take an infant out in a blizzard improperly protected from the elements and be unconcerned about cold or flu. COMMON SENSE!! Or for that matter let ME go outside in mid winter with wet hair and no hat. I'm asking for BIG trouble.

Still some nerdy pseudo-Einstein will be quick to tell me you ONLY catch colds, etc, from GERMS. I KNOW this is true. My point is that the drafty wet conditions reduce one's immune defenses to those often present germs. Same thing with being overly run down or malnourished. To me these are all common sense! What do you think?

Don't worry... I'm passionate about this peev and SO sick [[cough, cough) of hearing talk to the contrary, but we'll still be friends if you disagree [[in time). :)

ms_m
11-19-2010, 01:33 AM
LOL....my heart agrees with you positive soul because it's what my mom told me all my life but my head is saying....naaaaaaw but nice try:)

I KNOW this is true. My point is that the drafty wet conditions reduce one's immune defenses to those often present germs.

Now here is where I see a slight little problem. The reason these drafty wet conditions reduce your immune system is because your immune system was already compromised.

There are many things that can weaken your immune system, but good bacteria is constantly fighting bad bacteria so we don't even know what's going on. When the good bacteria is winning, and working properly, we feel fine. But when it starts to lose and the bad bacteria gets the upper hand, all heck breaks loose.

Your diet, lack of sleep/rest, being around others with colds, touching things in public places with germs, [[and most do this constantly all day, every day) not washing your hands, and for me the biggie, smoking, can all attribute to a less than efficient immune system so when you go out without that coat, or go out with wet hair, POW, you're susceptible because the good bacteria at that point, has already lost the fight.

So, no matter how you look at it, you only catch colds, from germs.

Sorry:)

positivesoul
11-19-2010, 02:54 AM
The reason these drafty wet conditions reduce your immune system is because your immune system was already compromised.

LOL! Ms M, know that positivesoul positively admires your gracious heart AND your thinking mind! And if it takes another half-century, your wise mom will be proved RIGHT! Actually, I'm going to notch your comment as an AGREE because the point is that such cold, drafty, etc. conditions don't guarantee a cold, but CAN contribute. Same point with germs: Being exposed to them doesn't guarantee you'll become ill either. Other factors come into play here too.

I'll bet if she saw you already sick with a [[viral) cold infection and you ran out improperly dressed into a cold rainstorm, your mom would [[rightly) have warned you that you're gonna catch pneumonia! You MIGHT get away with it, but she knew from egSPURryance [[lol) that you were already weakened and now far more susceptible to this even worse [[bacterial) attack.

Yes, good people tend to be shot by bad people, but it sure increases our chances if we're naively walking around in a bad area looking like a tourist from Hooterville! The manner of walk didn't shoot them, but it sure contributed! [[probably a really poor analogy, but it's late here and that's the only one coming to mind right now) :)

Moral of this story... if ya want some examples of Common Sense, go to yo momma -just ask LEROY! LOL

ms_m
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Fair enough and ok....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

soulster
11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
The common cold is caused by a virus. For some people, cold temperatures cause their immunity to be lowered. Also, wet clothing [[and I guess it's possible for wet hair too) pulls heat away from the body, so that could also contribute lower your immunity.

Also, a virus looks for a warm host. If you go out into the cold weather, you may be asking for it.

Since the rhino virus loves a warm, moist atmosphere, people are actually at a higher risk in warm, closed-up buildings with other people.

sophisticated_soul
11-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Hope you are feeling better, Positivesoul:)

positivesoul
11-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Hope you are feeling better, Positivesoul:)

Thanks to you ALL! LOL For the record, I wasn't sick physically, just sick of some arguments on this issue, but AS USUAL, my SDF family is better for me than chicken soup!

arrr&bee
11-19-2010, 06:15 PM
thanks to you all! Lol for the record, i wasn't sick physically, just sick of some arguments on this issue, but as usual, my sdf family is better for me than chicken soup!

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey positivesoul,i got the cure for any germ in the body you just take a sip[and only a small sip]of this wonderful elixir and you can walk in ten feet of snow with just a figleaf on and not feel a thing[of course all your brain cells may be dead at that point]but you won't get sick[of course you might get arrested for the figleaf]i got the cure for what ails america!!!

midnight johnny
11-19-2010, 07:18 PM
positive....I agree with you. The environment, diet, sleep...all these things affect one's immune system and susceptability. BUT....you can't have an infection without first having a germ.

positivesoul
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm sure I'd get arrested even quicker if I DROPPED the leaf under those conditions :) I don't know... I'd probably appreciate being in my own bed w/o the bars, even with the cold or flu!

bankhousedave
11-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Scientists got no use for common sense - because it's common. They've got their own sense. Brought us the H-bomb, reduced animals to food machines and made three parts of the planet drug dependant. We common folk just aren't blessed with that kind of sense.

bankhousedave
11-20-2010, 09:49 AM
If they put their heads together [[as it were) maybe the scientists and Damart could come up with a fig leaf that would provide the required level of protection.

positivesoul
11-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Good points from you all. No germ, no infection... no scientists [[possibly) more natural problems, [[definitely) far fewer man-made disasters!

positivesoul
11-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Okay, here's further confirmation that the patient's DOA! :) The current situation involving the TSA [[Transportation Security Administration) in the USA. First, I definitely understand the call for the agency to seek less intrusive and more sensitive screenings and examinations prior to air travel. I held a job for years that required extensive air travel, so I can understand some outrage. This is especially true when considering those with special inconveniences and circumstances such as cancer experience.

BUT, having children, I cannot delete the scene from my mind of the poor mother who totally [[physically and emotionally) collapsed onto the airport floor in NYC upon learning, on camera, that the delayed PanAm flight 103 carrying her daughter, had actually been blown to bits by terrorists. All of the voices demanding an immediate end to current security measures should be at least equally vocal that we don't throw out safety procedures unless equally or more effective measures are derived and employed.

I hate the idea of folks being disrespected, irritated or humiliated by security practices. I think I hate far stronger the thought of my loved ones, or myself, being blown to smithereens -especially if it could have been avoided with some long dead, or at least gravely ill Common Sense. Agree? Disagree??