PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves "Rest of my life". CD

test

vgalindo
12-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Got my CD today from Funkytown Grooves. I have been playing it all day. Love this album. My favorite Martha CD. Should have been a big hit. I like it better than the Richard Perry produced album. So grateful to Funkytown Grooves.

RobertZ
12-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Got my CD today from Funkytown Grooves. I have been playing it all day. Love this album. My favorite Martha CD. Should have been a big hit. I like it better than the Richard Perry produced album. So grateful to Funkytown Grooves.
That's great to hear. I too had ROML on LP and loved it. I'll order my copy today. If you have time I'd love a fuller review from you!

longtimefan
12-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Does any body know a website that actually has these CDs in stock ready for shipping? I tried a couple of places and they are out of stock, indicating they will be filling orders in late January or February. Thanks.

theboyfromxtown
12-22-2014, 06:55 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rest-My-Life-Expanded/dp/B00OFX20VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419288899&sr=1-1&keywords=martha+reeves+rest+of+my+life

vgalindo
12-22-2014, 07:49 PM
What about www.funkytowngrooves.com.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
12-22-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but it will be nice finally having all of the songs remastered on CD from the original tapes! I'll finally be able to retire my vinyl to CD-R transfer. I didn't know there were so many single versions from the album. It would be nice if someone released her next two Fantasy albums as expanded editions with the rest of the single edits. Now that only leaves her enigmatic 1982 Phonorama "Dancin' In The Streets" album as the only one not on CD that I'll just have to stick with my CD-R transfer...

supremester
12-22-2014, 11:55 PM
I ordered mine today and will get it tomorrow from Funkytown..

01-02-2015, 04:03 PM
I received the CD today and it sounds great! But they just had to make one little mistake: Track 12 - instead of the 7" version of Thank You, it just plays the full album version again.

At least someone has the 7" on YouTube if you want to hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8EZIybNAuQ

RobertZ
01-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Today I received my highly-anticipated copy of the remastered 1975 Martha Reeves album “The Rest of My Life” and I want to share my enthusiasm for this wonderful music. I still have my Arista LP, but having had no turntable for many years I am hearing this album almost as a new discovery.

Clive Davis seems to have spared no expense in recording this LP; the musicianship is superb, as are the background vocals. And soaring above is the unmistakable and distinct voice of Ms. [[now Dr.) Martha Reeves. Dr. Reeves is an extraordinary singer, with a “head voice” that is effortlessly elastic but never uncontrolled. Her innate intelligence allows Dr. Reeves to sing virtually any kind of material successfully, but Davis, on this LP, supervised a selection of excellent soul songs that his artist could, and did, sing peerlessly.

Virtually every cut here is a stand-out, so I’ll just mention a few favorites. The title cut is a great mid-tempo ballad that should have been a hit; same goes for “This Time I’ll Be Sweeter”. Dr. Reeves’ own “Love Blind” is a solid funky dancer and shows the singer to also have a talent for songwriting. “Thank You” is a fun reference to the Motown Sound, and Reeves pays homage to her gospel background on a thrilling “Love Strong Enough To Move Mountains”.

The legacy of Martha Reeves is her Motown material, but “The Rest of My Life” is, I believe, her mature masterwork.

kenneth
01-03-2015, 08:13 PM
I ordered my copy though haven't received it yet. If the wrong mix is included we should get replacement CDs. I'll check mine right away when I get it and get in touch with them to see about getting the proper version, and let you know if they respond.

01-03-2015, 11:58 PM
If the wrong mix is included we should get replacement CDs. I'll check mine right away when I get it and get in touch with them to see about getting the proper version, and let you know if they respond.Thanks, kenneth! There also was a mistake with the Diana Ross Swept Away CDs but I don't know if they ever bothered fixing it. They put the 7" version of "Missing You" on the main album, and put the album version on the 2nd disc. And instead of the instrumental of "Touch By Touch" they put a vocal edit of it [[which was fine since it was another bonus track, but then it's still missing the instrumental).

kenneth
01-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks, kenneth! There also was a mistake with the Diana Ross Swept Away CDs but I don't know if they ever bothered fixing it. They put the 7" version of "Missing You" on the main album, and put the album version on the 2nd disc. And instead of the instrumental of "Touch By Touch" they put a vocal edit of it [[which was fine since it was another bonus track, but then it's still missing the instrumental).

I ordered all the Ross CDs so I'll check that out. That's pretty sloppy mastering, especially considering [[in my opinion) their bonus tracks are really nothing special, too many different mixes of the same song for the most part. I wouldn't have bought these if not for the sale. I still didn't buy the Dionne Warwick's or Gladys Knight's because their bonus tracks were even less interesting to me.

vgalindo
01-04-2015, 06:40 PM
I bought all the Gladys Knight's, Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross. Also got the new Martha Reeves. Love them all. They are all fantastic!

RobertZ
01-04-2015, 06:49 PM
I bought all the Gladys Knight's, Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross. Also got the new Martha Reeves. Love them all. They are all fantastic!

I agree! I love the extra tracks and thank the label for taking the time to locate and remaster them.