PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross Wins TV Lands Greatest Music Moment

test

marv2
11-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Few may not know it but , Diana Ross won TV Lands Greatest Music Moment. Isn't she just the best?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqP_0uYBPFQ&feature=related

nomis
11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
...yes she is !

midnightman
11-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I remembered watching that [[the TV Land performance). :) Yeah she won it for the 1983 "rain" performance lol :)

smark21
11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't think she sounded that great for that performance.

jonc
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't think she sounded that great for that performance.

But nice that marv2 has it in his collection.

jobeterob
11-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Well done Marv. This is what fans and Supremes need to see. At this rate, there's a chance of an Oprah reunion.

jonc
11-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Well done Marv. This is what fans and Supremes need to see. At this rate, there's a chance of an Oprah reunion.

I agree jobeterob and I hope marv2 shares more of of his Miss Ross collection of clips with us.

arrr&bee
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Nice clip marv,but i really liked tv land awards better when it was just about the classic tv shows it lost it's charm after it went..hollywood??

carlo
11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Regardless of whatever anyone thinks, I think this is a great performance by Miss Ross. Even though she missed a note here or there...she still sounded great. Plus, Diana always has a remarkable stage presence...which outshines any vocal troubles she may have had that evening. She worked that stage! :D Everybody in the audience was up and enjoying it.

Just like her performance at the 2004 Billboard Awards. I remember some fans initially making comments that her voice was "raspy". But for me personally, that's my most favourite TV performance of her's EVER! She sounded good. She made a grand opening. Worked that stage! She looked UNBELIEVABLE! Had that awesome gown that she stripped off! lol. Diana will always bring a crowd to its feet, because she's Diana Ross. She always has it going on!

jobeterob
11-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I agree; this isn't her strongest vocal performance; it doesn't hold a candle to what she is turning out in the last 3 years really. But her presence is next to none; with her first appearance, the whole place is often standing and when she moves from Do You Know to Ain't No Mountain, everyone will end up on their feet. And Diana's voice has held up better than that of Martha Reeves, Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick and Barbra Streisand............but all these ladies show some effect from age.

reese
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I remember being disappointed in this performance when it aired. It took me a few listens before I came to like it. And of course, whether her vocals are at their best or not, Diana still can work a crowd. In this appearance, I felt she wasn't used to singing these songs in medley form, and as such, wasn't as prepared as she could have been.

topdiva1
11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Ross did deserve that award - She was magnificent that evening - working with and against the storm.

carlo
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
And Diana's voice has held up better than that of Martha Reeves, Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick and Barbra Streisand............

I've never personally understood need for some of Diana's fans to constantly compare her to other artists. Why is Diana always considered "the standard"...with everybody analyzed in comparison to her? Why not appreciate each artist as an individual? They all have their own unique qualities, which is why all of them are legends in their own right. To make constant comparisons just seems redundant.

jobeterob
11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
You are too young Mr!

The answers are because she had 18 or 19 Number 1 hits; she was the Original Diva; she is one of the rare singers that crossed over to the Movies with success; she "was" Billie and brought Billie back; she is one of the rare singers that had two careers; she did Central Park; she was the lead singer of the group that brought R & B to White America and the white world; and I suppose it is because many, particularly a few African Americans, try to tear her down constantly.

In the late 60's there was an article that said "fortunately a portion of the populace loathes the Supremes, Diana in particular, and this makes their fans even more rabid......" How True!

You can appreciate all of these singers and there are many with monumental achievements ~ Beyonce, Madonna, Barbra, Aretha, Tina, Dionne ~ but this is only one Ultimate Diva.

luke
11-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Diana could get a standing o from from singing the yellow pages--shes got such incredible performing charisma. But her voice here is just not good. I hear she has it back now. I wonder what happened?

jobeterob
11-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I wonder too because it is significantly better and if you see her live, it is even better.

She said she hasn't drank in 10 years and likely hasn't smoked in as long; I wonder if it's that combined with some vocal coaching?

By the way, I was being over the top a couple posts back............thanks for not taking that bait anyone; she's just a person with flaws and good points and bad; even if she is a legendary singer, she is still just a person.

uptight
11-20-2010, 12:27 AM
It still cracks me up seeing that one woman at the end crying tears of joy because she witnessed Diana Ross. Were many in the audience so liquored up..?

marv2
11-20-2010, 12:31 AM
It still cracks me up seeing that one woman at the end crying tears of joy because she witnessed Diana Ross. Were many in the audience so liquored up..?

hehehehehehe........stop!

jillfoster
11-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Wow... at 6:23, she hits three whole measures of sour notes. And follows it up with MORE sour notes. It's nice that she pulled herself together and can sing again and sound good. Soemtimes she just doens't TRY. She figures she can skate by on her Bob Mackies and her charisma. Truth be told, if she was a 300 pound lesbian with a moustache, nobody would pay her any attention, the voice ain't THAT special. But can be special at times.

motown4ever
11-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Wow... at 6:23, she hits three whole measures of sour notes. And follows it up with MORE sour notes. It's nice that she pulled herself together and can sing again and sound good. Soemtimes she just doens't TRY. She figures she can skate by on her Bob Mackies and her charisma. Truth be told, if she was a 300 pound lesbian with a moustache, nobody would pay her any attention, the voice ain't THAT special. But can be special at times.

Damn, did your cat or dog piss in your coffee. I've seen a 300 pound lesbian in Walmart and believe me everyone paid attention. She was too much.

P.S Jillfoster are you really a reporter from Fox News channel because you're always so fair and balanced? Bill O'Reilly...Carl Rove whatcha doing around here. I'll have to watch what I say and act like my poor Prez.

carlo
11-20-2010, 09:52 AM
You are too young Mr!

The answers are because she had 18 or 19 Number 1 hits; she was the Original Diva; she is one of the rare singers that crossed over to the Movies with success; she "was" Billie and brought Billie back; she is one of the rare singers that had two careers; she did Central Park; she was the lead singer of the group that brought R & B to White America and the white world; and I suppose it is because many, particularly a few African Americans, try to tear her down constantly.

In the late 60's there was an article that said "fortunately a portion of the populace loathes the Supremes, Diana in particular, and this makes their fans even more rabid......" How True!

You can appreciate all of these singers and there are many with monumental achievements ~ Beyonce, Madonna, Barbra, Aretha, Tina, Dionne ~ but this is only one Ultimate Diva.

I understand what you're saying, and as much as I love Diana, she isn't the ONLY diva or artist out there. I don't know if I would even go as far to say that she's the "ultimate diva", but I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Many others helped to pave the way BEFORE her, and some were also there doing their own thing in the 60's. But to compare her to everybody else and say she's the "Ultimate Diva" sounds more like it's the opinion of a "dedicated fan" [[to put it nicely). It's funny because you see the same thing on the Whitney Houston message boards...fans are constantly saying, "So and so doesn't sound half as good as Whitney, etc., etc." I guess it's because they themselves only really care about ONE artist and are therefore unable to appreciate what anybody else brings to the table. All artists sing differently, have different styles, different personalities, different histories...some have had a bigger uphill battle than others...so in my opinion, to pit them against one another and make comparisons isn't really fair. It's like comparing apples with oranges. They're all a legend in their own right. Appreciate them as individuals for who they are and what they've accomplished. Diana has done A LOT and accomplished A LOT...trust me, I know that. But so have many of these other talented ladies.

Rob: You sound like one of those individuals from the "Ultimate Fans" that you tend to always complain about. :p

marv2
11-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I understand what you're saying, and as much as I love Diana, she isn't the ONLY diva or artist out there. I don't know if I would even go as far to say that she's the "ultimate diva", but I guess it's all a matter of opinion. Many others helped to pave the way BEFORE her, and some were also there doing their own thing in the 60's. But to compare her to everybody else and say she's the "Ultimate Diva" sounds more like it's the opinion of a "dedicated fan" [[to put it nicely). It's funny because you see the same thing on the Whitney Houston message boards...fans are constantly saying, "So and so doesn't sound half as good as Whitney, etc., etc." I guess it's because they themselves only really care about ONE artist and are therefore unable to appreciate what anybody else brings to the table. All artists sing differently, have different styles, different personalities, different histories...some have had a bigger uphill battle than others...so in my opinion, to pit them against one another and make comparisons isn't really fair. It's like comparing apples with oranges. They're all a legend in their own right. Appreciate them as individuals for who they are and what they've accomplished. Diana has done A LOT and accomplished A LOT...trust me, I know that. But so have many of these other talented ladies.

Rob: You sound like one of those individuals from the "Ultimate Fans" that you tend to always complain about. :p

Ahemmm..............!

marv2
11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I've never personally understood need for some of Diana's fans to constantly compare her to other artists. Why is Diana always considered "the standard"...with everybody analyzed in comparison to her? Why not appreciate each artist as an individual? They all have their own unique qualities, which is why all of them are legends in their own right. To make constant comparisons just seems redundant.

I find it very funny that if Diana Ross is suppose to be "the standard", then why is it that most of those women have won Grammy Awards and Ross has not?

stephanie
11-20-2010, 12:50 PM
When I first saw this performance when it aired I laughed but Im going to be soft on her. I am not a singer and I cant judge her but for her age and the makeup and clothes she looks great! She doesnt sound like she is losing her voice its just raspy or damaged or something like a cold or some environmental factor.

As far as the Grammy thing is concerned there are a lot of musical artists that have not won grammies. I know a lot of people think Diana should get a lifetime achievement trophy and at least the Kennedy Center honors came around her way. I have read she has not gotten a grammy because of her past divaness with others in the business but it is hard for me to believe that because she is invited to many awards shows to present in the past and if she were that much of a problem I would not think she would be asked to attend. Im shocked she did the TVland thing but that has gone up in popularity and big stars attend so I guess she felt it was worthy.

marv2
11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
When I first saw this performance when it aired I laughed but Im going to be soft on her. I am not a singer and I cant judge her but for her age and the makeup and clothes she looks great! She doesnt sound like she is losing her voice its just raspy or damaged or something like a cold or some environmental factor.

As far as the Grammy thing is concerned there are a lot of musical artists that have not won grammies. I know a lot of people think Diana should get a lifetime achievement trophy and at least the Kennedy Center honors came around her way. I have read she has not gotten a grammy because of her past divaness with others in the business but it is hard for me to believe that because she is invited to many awards shows to present in the past and if she were that much of a problem I would not think she would be asked to attend. Im shocked she did the TVland thing but that has gone up in popularity and big stars attend so I guess she felt it was worthy.

Stephanie, I understand and agree with what you said. I am just saying that if some people are going to make Diana Ross to be the standard for which all others are judged, then she should have won at least one Grammy Award. But sadly, she has not won a single one in a career spanning about 50 years.

jobeterob
11-20-2010, 01:22 PM
What? Diana is not the ultimate diva? Not the only Diva?

If you read the Ribowsky Stevie Wonder book, you will see a huge amount of Divaness in his organization and from him; you will see a lot of fighting and dissension and disdain for others when he was at his peak; you will dislike for and from the Rolling Stones and their camp. And Stevie won tons of Grammys.

Yet Stevie attracts relatively little attention.

The Supremes attracted more attention because they were the breakthrough artists, they were dramatic, they have the gay audience that is more committed and over the top, aggressive, dramatic. And Berry, Diana and Mary learned the game well; while some of the other Supremes didn't really get it, Diana and Mary had the moves and the stage presence. Diana did become a big star which fueled it all.

There were hardly any Grammys given to R & B artists at all in the 60's; there was like one. There were hardly any Grammys given at all in those years and many of them were to MOR type of artists. If there were all the categories there are today, the Supremes and Diana would have a cabinet full. Diana has American Music Awards, a Tony, a Kennedy Centre Honour, the Soul Train Heritage Award and dozens of others. She doesn't need more. It would be nice if somehow the Supremes could get a Lifetime Achievement Award before more of them are dead; but the "business" will probably prevent that.

I notice in the Stevie Wonder book, there is a huge dislike for a "clinger" in the Wondercamp ~ Ira Tucker Jr., Lynda's brother. Anyone know anything about him?

carlo
11-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't think a Grammy Award really means much. Sure, it's another feather added to an artist's hat...but a lot of these awards of recognition are very "political". Just look at Diana's Oscar nom, of course she deserved to win, but a lot of people turned against her because of Berry. Even if an artist has a # 1 hit, it doesn't really mean a whole lot. Especially in the 60's, with all the stuff that was going on behind the scenes. It's the artists and their music that count the most. Those are the real things that show that they are a legend...because their legacy has stood the test of time. There's a lot of one hit wonders who have had a # 1 hit or won a Grammy, and it doesn't really mean a whole lot at the end of the day. Even look at someone like Betty Lavette. She's stood the test of time and she's never won a Grammy and has never really had any awards. But she's still a legend.

jillfoster
11-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Rob.... even if Stevie did have a lot of attitude and was a pain in the ass... most fans won't criticize him because he's blind. That's real obvious.

captainjames
11-20-2010, 01:41 PM
let me just throw this out --- when the award [[Grammy) was given to Milli Vanilli and then they asked for it back I was done. After that they should have folded and never gave another award. In my opinion that was a history blunder of the century.

smark21
11-20-2010, 02:00 PM

If you read the Ribowsky Stevie Wonder book, you will see a huge amount of Divaness in his organization and from him; you will see a lot of fighting and dissension and disdain for others when he was at his peak; you will dislike for and from the Rolling Stones and their camp. And Stevie won tons of Grammys.

The Supremes attracted more attention because they were the breakthrough artists, they were dramatic, they have the gay audience that is more committed and over the top, aggressive, dramatic. And Berry, Diana and Mary learned the game well; while some of the other Supremes didn't really get it, Diana and Mary had the moves and the stage presence. Diana did become a big star which fueled it all.

There were hardly any Grammys given to R & B artists at all in the 60's; there was like one. There were hardly any Grammys given at all in those years and many of them were to MOR type of artists. If there were all the categories there are today, the Supremes and Diana would have a cabinet full. Diana has American Music Awards, a Tony, a Kennedy Centre Honour, the Soul Train Heritage Award and dozens of others. She doesn't need more. It would be nice if somehow the Supremes could get a Lifetime Achievement Award before more of them are dead; but the "business" will probably prevent that.

I notice in the Stevie Wonder book, there is a huge dislike for a "clinger" in the Wondercamp ~ Ira Tucker Jr., Lynda's brother. Anyone know anything about him?

I noticed that Ira Tucker Jr. was portrayed very negatively in Ribowsky's book. A scheminng control freak who limited who would have access to Stevie Wonder. In many respects he was portrayed as some Supremes fans like to portray his sister Lynda Lawrence, except no one has ever alleged that Lynda is anti semitic.

marv2
11-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Yeah Ira Tucker Jr's son, Ira III is a chat buddy of mine. He loves and is very proud of his dad, a talented songwriter. I've never heard of him referred to as a Clingon. Was he on Star Trek at one point? LOL!

marv2
11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't think a Grammy Award really means much. Sure, it's another feather added to an artist's hat...but a lot of these awards of recognition are very "political". Just look at Diana's Oscar nom, of course she deserved to win, but a lot of people turned against her because of Berry. Even if an artist has a # 1 hit, it doesn't really mean a whole lot. Especially in the 60's, with all the stuff that was going on behind the scenes. It's the artists and their music that count the most. Those are the real things that show that they are a legend...because their legacy has stood the test of time. There's a lot of one hit wonders who have had a # 1 hit or won a Grammy, and it doesn't really mean a whole lot at the end of the day. Even look at someone like Betty Lavette. She's stood the test of time and she's never won a Grammy and has never really had any awards. But she's still a legend.

That is very true Carlo.

jonc
11-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah Ira Tucker Jr's son, Ira III is a chat buddy of mine. He loves and is very proud of his dad, a talented songwriter.

You should ask Ira 111 to join your Mary Wilson Yahoo group Marv2. I'm sure he'd love to read all the lovely things you say about former Supreme Lynda Tucker Laurence.

jillfoster
11-20-2010, 03:15 PM
let me just throw this out --- when the award [[Grammy) was given to Milli Vanilli and then they asked for it back I was done. After that they show have folded and never gave another award. In my opinion that was a history blunder of the century.

You know, that's one HELL of a good point. That was a ridiculous debacle, wasn't it? Anyone with brains could listen to those two talk and know it was not them singing on those records. But those two DID get shafted for soemthing a producer instigated. I would not have given the grammy back, I would have held a press conference and set the damn thing on fire.

smark21
11-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Even if Milli Vanelli hadn't been a lipsynch act, it was a joke that they won the Grammy as their songs were such drivel-catchy, popular drivel, but drivel nevertheless.

captainjames
11-20-2010, 07:21 PM
You know, that's one HELL of a good point. That was a ridiculous debacle, wasn't it? Anyone with brains could listen to those two talk and know it was not them singing on those records. But those two DID get shafted for soemthing a producer instigated. I would not have given the grammy back, I would have held a press conference and set the damn thing on fire.

You know what Jillfoster, you said a mouthful with that and I am with you on that 150% and I would have done the same thing. Grammy my Bla%*k A^%$*.

jobeterob
11-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Good posts guys.

Marv, you should pick up the Stevie Wonder book; maybe you know some of those people.

Now, Ribowsky is known to be pretty unreliable and to pass on 4th hand information, but he is very unkind to Ira Tucker ~ clinger and hanger on, he refers to him as such; I think he got the worst rap in the book. But of course, Ribowsky says Stevie ripped guys off after he promised them royalties. What is often said that is inflammatory about Berry is said about Stevie in the book.

You guys are right of course; awards, smawards.........hell, who even knows who won them the year after they are given? They are bought; they are given based on emotion and perceived right to the award. They give them to people you never hear of a year later and they ignore legends. If you are a fan, you are a fan. And ultimately, it is what's in the grooves that count.

marv2
11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Good posts guys.

Marv, you should pick up the Stevie Wonder book; maybe you know some of those people.

Now, Ribowsky is known to be pretty unreliable and to pass on 4th hand information, but he is very unkind to Ira Tucker ~ clinger and hanger on, he refers to him as such; I think he got the worst rap in the book. But of course, Ribowsky says Stevie ripped guys off after he promised them royalties. What is often said that is inflammatory about Berry is said about Stevie in the book.

You guys are right of course; awards, smawards.........hell, who even knows who won them the year after they are given? They are bought; they are given based on emotion and perceived right to the award. They give them to people you never hear of a year later and they ignore legends. If you are a fan, you are a fan. And ultimately, it is what's in the grooves that count.

Yeah maybe I'll do that . There are some things about Stevie that are interesting, some mundane but he truly is a very,very good human being. There are some people that I know that know him VERY well!

He has the greatest sense of humor. I'll never forget the time he guest appeared on Mary Wilson's local radio show here in New York on WWRL. I remember that morning being stuck in traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway and listening. It was the funniest stuff because it was natural and totally unrehearsed. Mary was broadcasting "LIVE" from her apartment hehehehehe.... on the UWS and Stevie came over to visit that morning. They went on with each other just like they were not on the radio and all of New York City could hear them if they were turned in. Stevie was saying something about how long he has known Diane Ross yada, yada, yada [[now he was doing this on purpose mind you) to get on her nerves and Mary responded "you met us all at the same time.......... look you are in my house now! She went on to say to Stevie "that I will beat you up right here and throw you out"! LOL! You could hear Stevie squealing like a kid laughing so hard in the background, that it took a commercial break for them to pull themselves back together. I nearly ran off of the road it was so funny. LOL!

jonc
11-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah maybe I'll do that . There are some things about Stevie that are interesting, some mundane but he truly is a very,very good human being. There are some people that I know that know him VERY well!

He has the greatest sense of humor. I'll never forget the time he guest appeared on Mary Wilson's local radio show here in New York on WWRL. I remember that morning being stuck in traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway and listening. It was the funniest stuff because it was natural and totally unrehearsed. Mary was broadcasting "LIVE" from her apartment hehehehehe.... on the UWS and Stevie came over to visit that morning. They went on with each other just like they were not on the radio and all of New York City could hear them if they were turned in. Stevie was saying something about how long he has known Diane Ross yada, yada, yada [[now he was doing this on purpose mind you) to get on her nerves and Mary responded "you met us all at the same time.......... look you are in my house now! She went on to say to Stevie "that I will beat you up right here and throw you out"! LOL! You could hear Stevie squealing like a kid laughing so hard in the background, that it took a commercial break for them to pull themselves back together. I nearly ran off of the road it was so funny. LOL!

ROTFLMAO. That story is still hilariously funny today, which is partly due to the way you tell it Marv. You make it sound like Mary and Stevie were the Abbott and Costello of Motown. Some comedy routines are simply timeless.

Darn.........I wish you had a clip of this you could share.

motown4ever
11-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Marv, I'm impressed when did Mary Wilson have an upper west side apartment in NYC was this in the late 70's it's pretty expensive nowdays. Even Jay-Z & Beoncye live in Tribeca. How did she pull this off. Was this after the "book" when she had all that cheddar or what ?

marv2
11-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Marv, I'm impressed when did Mary Wilson have an upper west side apartment in NYC was this in the late 70's it's pretty expensive nowdays. Even Jay-Z & Beoncye live in Tribeca. How did she pull this off. Was this after the "book" when she had all that cheddar or what ?

Nah, it was just a few years ago. She lived up there from roughly 1995 -2002 or 03. The average price to purchase a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan hit the $1 million level in late 1999. Mary lived on W.63rd and West End.

motown4ever
11-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks Marv, just killing time watching my kids play Wii & keeping up with my Motown.

supreme_lady
11-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Great YOUTUBE site dedicated to Diana Ross, beautifully done by the Italian Diana Ross fanclub founder, Giacomo, great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSzBvYCH0Fc