PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gordy

test

soulwally
12-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Is Berry's brother the Motown producer with the least producer credits? I was just thinking of songs apart from Take Some Time Out For Love [[isleys) that he produced, then came across Eric and the Vikings' 1972 single It's Too Much For Man To Take Too Long/Time Don't Wait.
I know he recorded as Bob Kayli, and was also involved with the Jobete publishing division, probably his primary concern.
By the way, I've always loved the Isleys' track [[a strange follow-up to This Old Heart Of Mine, if you think about it), and the Eric & V top side is excellent too, so Robert, you should have done more!

motony
12-09-2014, 05:39 PM
In the US, I think the follow up to "This Old Heart of Mine" was "I Guess I'll Always Love You" which I always liked . I have a promo copy of "Take Some Time Out For Love" .

soulwally
12-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Motony, according to the discography at the back of Sharon Davis's Motown book [[the best thing about the book!), Take Some... came out in the US in April, and I Guess... in June.

marv2
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Is Berry's brother the Motown producer with the least producer credits? I was just thinking of songs apart from Take Some Time Out For Love [[isleys) that he produced, then came across Eric and the Vikings' 1972 single It's Too Much For Man To Take Too Long/Time Don't Wait.
I know he recorded as Bob Kayli, and was also involved with the Jobete publishing division, probably his primary concern.
By the way, I've always loved the Isleys' track [[a strange follow-up to This Old Heart Of Mine, if you think about it), and the Eric & V top side is excellent too, so Robert, you should have done more!

I met Robert a long time ago. He also plays the drug dealer in "Lady Sings the Blues."

Philles/Motown Gary
12-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Motony, according to the discography at the back of Sharon Davis's Motown book [[the best thing about the book!), Take Some... came out in the US in April, and I Guess... in June.

And "Heat Wave" [[complete Motown discography) confirms it. In the U.S., "This Old Heart Of Mine" was followed by "Take Some Time Out For Love" which was followed by "I Guess I'll Always Love You." Like you, motony, I, too, was thinking that "I Guess I'll Always Love You" followed "This Old Heart Of Mine". In fact, I thought I had remembered "Take Some Time Out...." as being a later B-side.

theboyfromxtown
12-10-2014, 07:03 PM

That would be the discography compiled by Gordon Frewin. Gordon was label manager at UK Tamla Motown for some 25 or so years.

motony
12-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Strange, I know....a dj friend of mine had given me "Take Some Time Out" promo copy cause he said the station would not be playing it.They did play "I Guess I'll Always Love". What was Billie Jean Brown thinking, LOL.