PDA

View Full Version : Martha and Vandellas question

test

luke
12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
As I dont believe there were any other groups named with a particular person's name up front , I wonder how Martha got her name up front right away-and she was replacing Gloria!? Smokey's name got up front later I think. Sounded unique? Just curious.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Luke, Martha didn't get her name up front right away. The group name was Martha & The Vandellas until 1967 when the group became Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, which was the same time that the Supremes became Diana Ross & The Supremes, and The Miracles became Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. Pre-1967, however, there was Jr. Walker & The All Stars. By the late 1960's however, Jr was billed simply as Jr. Walker. - Gary

kenneth
12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Philles/Motown Gary, I think he meant that at least her first name was always part of the group name; they were never just "The Vandellas." I'm thinking that's what he was asking, and I always wondered about that too. How was it that she was always so prominent as part of the trio?

Philles/Motown Gary
12-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Philles/Motown Gary, I think he meant that at least her first name was always part of the group name; they were never just "The Vandellas." I'm thinking that's what he was asking, and I always wondered about that too. How was it that she was always so prominent as part of the trio?
[B]Luke and Kenneth, okay, now I understand what you mean. I think Martha's first name was always up front because, according to her book, "Dancing In The Street", Martha allows that only she was officially employed by Motown Record Corporation. Martha selected and hired members of The Vandellas herself, out of her own pocket. I was shocked when I first learned this. Not only was this unconventional for Motown, I can't imagine how Martha could afford such a financial undertaking herself, especially when the hits [[musically outstanding as they were) started drying up. I guess it's just another mystery that was part of the magic of the mighty MO known as Motown - Gary/B]

kenneth
12-08-2014, 11:50 PM
@Philles/Motown Gary, I do remember reading that in her autobiography. It just sounded so strange for a Motown group to have such an arrangement. I always wondered if it were really true because it just sounded so unconventional for Motown not to have complete control of the group's names, members, hiring, firing, and so forth.

daviddesper
12-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Whatever the story, I always thought the group name [[as it was originally) rolled off the tongue beautifully and sounded great when announced on the radio, as did The Marvelettes' name. When they added Reeves to it, if anything I think it made it too wordy, even if it was just one added syllable.

mr_june
12-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree with you David.

kenneth
12-10-2014, 06:54 AM
"Vandellas" is indeed a great name. My favorite line I ever heard on "Golden Girls" was when they were telling Betty White to buy a new car and Bea Arthur said to her "That car you're driving is the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and the Vandellas!"

stephanie
12-10-2014, 04:26 PM
I saw that episode two weeks ago!!!!

blackguy69
12-10-2014, 06:00 PM
[B]Luke and Kenneth, okay, now I understand what you mean. I think Martha's first name was always up front because, according to her book, "Dancing In The Street", Martha allows that only she was officially employed by Motown Record Corporation. Martha selected and hired members of The Vandellas herself, out of her own pocket. I was shocked when I first learned this. Not only was this unconventional for Motown, I can't imagine how Martha could afford such a financial undertaking herself, especially when the hits [[musically outstanding as they were) started drying up. I guess it's just another mystery that was part of the magic of the mighty MO known as Motown - Gary/B] I heard Rosland mention that she was in deed signed to Motown as well as was Annette and Betty. Lois and Sandra I'm not so sure.

luke
12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
And all three sued Motown directly for royalties.

mysterysinger
12-12-2014, 09:35 PM
In those days there were such things as "answer" records. So why not the same with group names, maybe the name Martha and The Vandellas was the female answer to that other Gordy label group Mike and The Modifiers. Or, more likely it was a carry over from their previous guise as Saundra Mallett and The Vandellas.

rod_rick
12-13-2014, 01:32 AM
Not so sure about Lois but I would think the Sandy Tilley would have been signed to Motown since she was a Velvelette.

roger
12-13-2014, 06:26 AM
In those days there were such things as "answer" records. So why not the same with group names, maybe the name Martha and The Vandellas was the female answer to that other Gordy label group Mike and The Modifiers. Or, more likely it was a carry over from their previous guise as Saundra Mallett and The Vandellas.

I was thinking something similar Mysterysinger, in the late 1950s/early 1960s there were a lot of acts that had the lead singer's name embedded in the name of the act .... DION & THE BELMONTS, DANNY & THE JUNIORS, RUBY & THE ROMANTICS for example, and I think MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS were part of this trend.

Slightly off topic I know, but since I've been able to watch old performances via Youtube etc. I've been surprised at how often THE MIRACLES were introduced as SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES well before they officially changed their name in 1967.

Can anyone tell me when this performance was shown, it is from "Shindig" which suggests it was recorded in 1965 ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H7ATUZxeBU

Roger

mysterysinger
12-13-2014, 07:51 AM
The name change to Smokey Robinson and The Miracles came before 1967. The albums "Going To A Go Go" [[1965) and "Away We A Go Go" [[1966) both came out under that name.

Also the 6 track EP of "Going To A Go Go" was credited as Smokey Robinson and The Miracles but strangely, the singles from the 2 LPs [[such as "Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart" were still credited simply to The Miracles. However, if they had a picture sleeve derived from the "Going To A Go Go" album, generally the sleeve credited the group full name but the single within just The Miracles. Hmmm.

roger
12-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Interesting point Mysterysinger, being a very 45s orientated person I forgot about the L.P.s.

I've never owned a vinyl copy of the "Going To A Go-Go" L.P. and although I did get the "Away We A Go-Go" L.P. in the '80s it was a reissue and I'd assumed that the SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES moniker on it would not have been on the original packaging. :)

I remember back in 1967, when THE SUPREMES became DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES, reading or hearing that Motown were making a point in "upgrading" their group names to MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS and SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES at the same time, and this seems to have become part of the legend of Motown ever since. As you say ..... Hmmm.

Putting another element into the mix I wonder if the appearance of GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS at Motown might have influenced the name changes?

Roger

antceleb12
12-13-2014, 11:43 AM
"Vandellas" is indeed a great name. My favorite line I ever heard on "Golden Girls" was when they were telling Betty White to buy a new car and Bea Arthur said to her "That car you're driving is the noisiest thing to come out of Detroit since Martha and the Vandellas!"

There's another episode where Dorothy's son is marrying a black woman and the bride-to-be's mother, aunt, and grandmother stops by. Sophia, being the ever-so-tactful octogenarian, blurts out, "Oh, Martha and the Vandellas are back!"

Roger Polhill
12-13-2014, 08:33 PM
I was thinking something similar Mysterysinger, in the late 1950s/early 1960s there were a lot of acts that had the lead singer's name embedded in the name of the act .... DION & THE BELMONTS, DANNY & THE JUNIORS, RUBY & THE ROMANTICS for example, and I think MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS were part of this trend.

Slightly off topic I know, but since I've been able to watch old performances via Youtube etc. I've been surprised at how often THE MIRACLES were introduced as SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES well before they officially changed their name in 1967.

Can anyone tell me when this performance was shown, it is from "Shindig" which suggests it was recorded in 1965 ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H7ATUZxeBU

Roger
Roger the Miracles is from 4th November 1964. Marvin Gaye 23rd December 1964.