PDA

View Full Version : Narvelettes at Pittsburgh Civic Arena 5/11/1962

test

woodward
12-08-2014, 11:02 AM
I recently came across the following synopsis of a 5/11/62 concert at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena which grossed $35,000 and performed for 13,000 people with 3,000 turned away. The main act was Jackie Wilson, but the only Motown group that appeared were the Marvelettes. You might find this story of interest, I did.

Porky’s rock and roll shows were late on the timeline, considering much earlier ones presented by other DJs, like Alan Freed. Still, they were no less grand. "The Porky Chedwick Groove Spectacular" on May 11, 1962, at the newly-built Pittsburgh Civic Arena, is still perhaps the largest multi-bill rock and roll concert the city has ever seen. Variety reported the show grossed more than $35,000-- an amazing sum for its time. More than 13,000 kids packed the arena, while some of the more than 3,000 outside, who had to be turned away, vented their anger by lobbing rocks and bottles at the arena dome. Jackie Wilson headlined the day-long affair, with 21 other acts, including Bo Diddley, The Flamingos, The Marvellettes, The Five Satins, Jerry Butler, Ketty Lester, Johnny Jack, The Skyliners, Patti LaBelle and the BlueBelles, The Castells, Bobby Vinton, The Drifters, The Debonaires [[a local group, whose record, "The Holly Lind," paid tribute to the street where Porky lived), Gene Pitney and The Coasters— all for a ticket price of $1 to $4! A few of the artists did the show for free, as a way of thanking Porky for his support. Porky’s generosity with free promotion made local artists just as popular with teenagers as the national acts. Johnny Jack remembered how Porky rushed backstage at that show to tell him that there was a young man outside the arena who was claiming to be Johnny Jack. John didn’t care, but his Sicilian mother, Angeline, insisted on going out to see the imposter, who apparently could have been John’s twin. "There he was, signing my autograph!" said John. "My mother walked up to him and said, ‘You Johnny Jeck?’ He gave her a big smile and said, Why, yes!’ She shook his hand and said, ‘I’m-a please-a to meet you— I’m-a you mama!’" [[John was a great friend of ours, who went on to pen and record many local hits, including "Comes Love," for The Skyliners— on which he also sang baritone— and "Born Poor," the B-side of "The Rapper," a Top 5 national hit for The Jaggerz in 1970. His 1962 cover of "Need You" remains a top Pittsburgh favorite. Lou Christie gives both John and Porky credit for helping to launch his career. Sadly, we lost John to cancer seven years ago).

blueskies
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
OMG....I'd long forgotten about the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. I saw Diana, Mary and Flo there when I was in high school. A BIG deal for a 14 year old back then!
http://www.brooklineconnection.com/history/Facts/images/Arena5.JPG

jim aka jtigre99
12-08-2014, 01:51 PM
The Civic Arena is no more. Torn down just a few years ago for the Consol Energy Center in a different but close location. Porky Chedwick is also passed in March, 2014. The Daddio of the radio on WAMO.