PDA

View Full Version : jean terrell leds supremes 2 top 20 singles dec 70

test

franjoy56
12-07-2014, 12:08 AM
I thought id add a little positive trivia on jean terrell. During the month of december and particularly around the 12th thru 26 the supremes had 2 records in the top 20 stoned love and river deep mt. High with the four tops, both featuring jean terrell on lead, stoned loved peaked at 7 in late december river deep mt high peaked at 14 t highest ranking remake of t tina turner song to date. The supremes were on a roll in 1970 with 3 top 20 records, but the glass slipper suddenly vanished by 72.

supremester
12-07-2014, 03:19 AM
Diana Ross also released 3 top 20 singles in '70 and none in '72. In fact, all but two Motown acts that released top 20 material in 1970, repeated in '72 [[Stevie & the J5). The Temptations, The Supremes, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight & The pips, R. Dean Taylor, The Spinners, Rare Earth, Jr Walker & The All Stars, The Originals, Edwin Starr, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles all failed to repeat even once in '72 - while The faltering Jackson 5 clung to the top 20 with 2 weak entries trading on their dwindling fortunes. The glass slipper? The entire shoe store chain vanished in 72. A very bad year for Motown reflecting on their wretched dearth of material as more and more in-house staff went independent.

jobeterob
12-07-2014, 04:16 AM
Good research Mester.

franjoy56
12-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Good research Mester.the supremes repeated in 72 with floy joy number 16 pop number 5 r and b. gladys and the pips were riding high in late 73 with the imagination sessions at buddah, being t first motown group to hit big after leaving mighty motown. The tempts had a monster hit in 72 but after masterpiece couldnt find another top 40 on t pop charts again.

supremester
12-07-2014, 02:52 PM
I was talking released in '72 - Floy Joy was '71. Gladys hit big in early '73 with Neither One Of Us - their real pop breakthrough crossover smash they dreamed of. Often the success of a single is only truly measured when you look at how the album did. The Neither one Of Us LP was huge - the highest charting LP they ever had - on the strength of one hit. That anomaly shows the strength of that single. Imagination also hit #9 pop but it had 3 top 5 singles in it. I ALWAYS forget Papa Was A Rolling Stone..... a fine record but not one I was compelled to buy and I'm still surprised at it's iconic status. Partly because I just couldn't accept Paul & Eddie being gone. I love Dennis and he did the impossible by making me forget David - but the fake Paul & Eddie left me so cold that I rarely played my Superstar 45. I think if I had heard it all the way through first, I might not have bought it. Like The Supremes, losing Flo was tough but there was Miss Ross - a preponderance of new faces & voices and it's just not that group anymore. Interestingly, The Supremes & Temptations began having trouble with their singles at the same time.
the supremes repeated in 72 with floy joy number 16 pop number 5 r and b. gladys and the pips were riding high in late 73 with the imagination sessions at buddah, being t first motown group to hit big after leaving mighty motown. The tempts had a monster hit in 72 but after masterpiece couldnt find another top 40 on t pop charts again.

franjoy56
12-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I was talking released in '72 - Floy Joy was '71. Gladys hit big in early '73 with Neither One Of Us - their real pop breakthrough crossover smash they dreamed of. Often the success of a single is only truly measured when you look at how the album did. The Neither one Of Us LP was huge - the highest charting LP they ever had - on the strength of one hit. That anomaly shows the strength of that single. Imagination also hit #9 pop but it had 3 top 5 singles in it. I ALWAYS forget Papa Was A Rolling Stone..... a fine record but not one I was compelled to buy and I'm still surprised at it's iconic status. Partly because I just couldn't accept Paul & Eddie being gone. I love Dennis and he did the impossible by making me forget David - but the fake Paul & Eddie left me so cold that I rarely played my Superstar 45. I think if I had heard it all the way through first, I might not have bought it. Like The Supremes, losing Flo was tough but there was Miss Ross - a preponderance of new faces & voices and it's just not that group anymore. Interestingly, The Supremes & Temptations began having trouble with their singles at the same time. gladys and the pips hit paydirt when they went to buddah in 72. Imagination lp was nominated for a grammy However a group hss to do t best they c when the main components move on i enjoyed t masterpiece album damon harris did a good eddie impersonation if u want to call it such. I always think of floy joy as a 1972 record even though it was recorded in 71 released 12.1.71 charted in january so in my mind it is a 72 chart product wasnt the photo shoot w linda on the cover from 72. Just as mwiewu was recorded in dec 65 i considerr it a 1966 product as is floy joy is a 72 chart record. The supremes had 9 yr run with a top 20 hit on t charts from 64 thru 72, the tempts had a 10 yr run 64 to 73 and the tops 64 thru 68 the vandellas 5 yrs.

supremester
12-08-2014, 12:09 AM
It's really Buddah that hit paydirt, as angry Gladys delayed the recording of the Imagination singles until after her Motown contract expired in'73. Those would have hit just as hard at Motown, plus hits packages would have benefitted. Lucky also for Gladys that Martha and Richard perry had a 'year long feud' that delayed her set for so long, or Martha would have had the Imagination single first [[although I prefer much Gladys' over Martha's Baby it's Me style version - I don't like the key perry cut her in.)
You're right about Damon Harris, but my bratty brain says "it's Eddie & Paul or nothing!" Although, the Eddie & Paul in Dennis' group are amazing and I can hear them, not so Otis' mess. Like The 70's Supremes, I still had a fondness for the entity, but they weren't The Tempts to me. if you get a chance to see Dennis' group - I highly recommend it - just to see Paul Williams Jr if nothing else.

The photo shoot for Floy Joy had to be in '72 even though Lynda was already a technical fourth Supreme in late '71.

sup_fan
12-08-2014, 10:14 AM
the song Floy Joy was recorded in Oct 71 and released in Dec 71. but the majority of it's chart activity took place in 72. frankly i'd list it as a 72 song, since it was released so late in the year.

all of the remaining Floy Joy track recordings took place in jan and Feb 72. once momentum started pushing FJ up the charts, they quickly returned to the studio [[MJC) to do the album. Lynda didn't really enter the picture in 71. it was early 72 that she was really introduced to the group as the search for Cindy's replaced started. most sources state April 72 as to when she joined the group as that was the time of that tour where she did lead on a few dates in Hawaii.

Floy Joy lp was released in May 72. the photo session for FJ had to take place prior to that and most likely prior to April, given lead times for print runs for lp jackets and production times for waxing the volume of LPs that the Sups would be selling. just guessing here but i'd wager that the FJ photo shoot took place in March, with Lynda already identified as the replacement.

roger
12-08-2014, 10:24 AM
gladys and the pips were riding high in late 73 with the imagination sessions at buddah, being t first motown group to hit big after leaving mighty motown.

Wouldn't that accolade go to THE ISLEY BROTHERS who hit #1 R&B and #2 POP on the Billboard listings in 1969 with "It's Your Thing"?

"It's Your Thing" was even a reasonably sized hit in The U.K. where it was on the charts at the same time as one of THE ISLEY BROTHERS more recent Motown recordings, that in the U.S. had only been a "B" side, "Behind A Painted Smile".

:)

Roger

milven
12-08-2014, 11:21 AM
But both groups had success on the charts before they went to Motown