PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Diana Ross photo in this week's NY Magazine

test

dba
11-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Taken at the Apollo Theater in 1965 by Bruce Davidson.

http://nymag.com/news/articles/10/11/harlem/index7.html

dba
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
http://nymag.com/news/articles/10/11/harlem/index7.html

Here is the link. Hope it works

midnightman
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I saw that picture. Beautiful.

marybrewster
11-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Wow; great pic. I didn't realize there were bunk beds at the Apollo. Did the Supremes sleep there, or were they used more for in-between shows?

reese
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
More photos from this session were used to accompany an interview that Alicia Keys did with Diana a few years back. I think it was for Interview Magazine.

reese
11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Wow; great pic. I didn't realize there were bunk beds at the Apollo. Did the Supremes sleep there, or were they used more for in-between shows?

I've read the acts couldn't leave the theatre between shows since they were so tightly scheduled. So they might have used them to rest.

I also thought the Supremes had stopped appearing at the Apollo by 1965, when they started doing the Copa. But judging by the photo, it was probably early in the year.

captainjames
11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing this photo before and there are a couple of others with Flo and Mary in them.

miss_lish
11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
I find this photo rather disturbing, and telling. While Miss Ross looks stunning, I also see someone who is overworked, stressed out, and too thin. What I enjoy about the photo, is it clearly demonstrates what it took to make it. So much for the glamor and trappings of show biz. I do agree, this is a great shot, but not due to Miss Ross's beauty.

jobeterob
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
When Diana talks at the beginning of the finale for Motown at the Apollo in 1985........she says something like........."Wow, this room.........it's been twenty years, more than 20 years since we appeared here, in a tape I saw today"........

That would take the Supremes back to 1965.

I think it's an excellent photo although I don't think Diana looks that great in it; it is classic with shoes all over, the bunks, the fur up top, the 1965 look, the tired look......but I don't think I'd call it beautiful.

I wonder if they shared bunks?

nomis
11-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Im sure this was taken the same day of the photos of Diana and Flo shopping In New York one of which appeared in Nelsons Where Did Our Love Go book,Diana has the same hair and the furcoat on the bed is the same one she wore shopping...

midnightman
11-17-2010, 08:14 PM
I find this photo rather disturbing, and telling. While Miss Ross looks stunning, I also see someone who is overworked, stressed out, and too thin. What I enjoy about the photo, is it clearly demonstrates what it took to make it. So much for the glamor and trappings of show biz. I do agree, this is a great shot, but not due to Miss Ross's beauty.

Yeah you can see the stress in her face, that's why I think it's beautiful because it shows you the wear and tear in her during that period she and the Supremes found international success. Motown worked that girl to death.

marybrewster
11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
........."Wow, this room.........it's been twenty years, more than 20 years since we appeared here, in a tape I saw today"........

I would take any date that any Supreme gives with a grain of salt.

REDHOT
11-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Where's MARY and FLORENCE ?
Please stay positive

reese
11-18-2010, 10:50 AM
........."Wow, this room.........it's been twenty years, more than 20 years since we appeared here, in a tape I saw today"........

I would take any date that any Supreme gives with a grain of salt.

That's probably wise as many stars can't remember specific dates. They were too busy doing it. And I think the tape she was referring to was that of the 1963 Motown Revue.

But I have seen a photo montage of Diana onstage at the Apollo, wearing the outfit that the girls wore when they sang BABY LOVE on SHINDIG! So they must have appeared there multiple times. It's just not mentioned that much.

captainjames
11-18-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.gregkucera.com/_images/davidson/david_supremes_bunkbeds.jpg
Here is the same photo session with Flo in the bottom bunk I believe in 1965.

dba
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I recall seeing some photos from 1968 at the Apollo with DMC. Tried to find one on line but it isn't coming up.

topdiva1
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Miss Ross in full pose - while Flo is face down - symbolic!

midnight johnny
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
dba...thanks so much for that great photo!

jobeterob
11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
These are classic photos. Ross was wired to go all the time. I think we are fortunate that she did not end up being anorexic; perhaps she came close and no one knew it. Either that or she was so keen that she just never stopped, including grabbing a bite to eat on the run.

reese
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
These are classic photos. Ross was wired to go all the time. I think we are fortunate that she did not end up being anorexic; perhaps she came close and no one knew it. Either that or she was so keen that she just never stopped, including grabbing a bite to eat on the run.

In her book, she wrote about having almost no appetite during this time because of nerves. And when she did try to eat, her jaws would just clamp shut and not allow her to chew. She mentioned the Apollo as one of her favorite venues because there was a steak house down the street that she really liked.

midnightman
11-18-2010, 04:37 PM
^ Least she didn't starve herself like Karen Carpenter. Now that was tragic.

miss_lish
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM

How appropriate; Miss Ross gets the top tier!

jobeterob
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, I'm not great at the dresses, but isn't the Ed Sullivan/Come See About Me dress hanging on a hook on the right?

Could it be Mary in the bottom bunk?

smark21
11-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Well, I'm not great at the dresses, but isn't the Ed Sullivan/Come See About Me dress hanging on a hook on the right?

Could it be Mary in the bottom bunk?

Miss Ross probably made Mary sleep on the floor so she's out of camera range. I also wouldn't put it past Miss Ross to sprinkle bedbugs onto Flo's mattress.

nomis
11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
As has been written it seemed Diana kept going by sheer will,She couldnt eat- she was a bag of nerves..its painful for her to look back at these years - she was on top career wise but emotionally she was in a dark pit...

captainjames
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
If it was anything like it was with me and my brothers I had to take the top bunk because I was the smaller one. That is Mary's bunk to the right [[I will see if I can dig up the picture with her in it). Also, the mention of the dress to the right is also the dress they wore on this show. There is a picture of them on stage in those dresses.

nomis
11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
...when your as tired as these ladies you just grab anywhere sleep..how did they all sleep on those tour buses? that would have been hell...

stephanie
11-18-2010, 11:07 PM
I love behind the scenes pictures like these. Considering Ross was tired I think she looks quite good. She had to have known she was being photographed with the lashes on and everything.

topdiva1
11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
In her book, she wrote about having almost no appetite during this time because of nerves. And when she did try to eat, her jaws would just clamp shut and not allow her to chew. She mentioned the Apollo as one of her favorite venues because there was a steak house down the street that she really liked.

The Steak House that Diana Ross loved was called TAD'S STEAK HOUSE - a very popular New York Chain at the time. I am told.