PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Dec 2, 9P-12M ET: Gladys Knight & the Pips Tribute!

test

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Howdy there, "Nightflight" listeners! I've been doing this show for 15 years, and strangely [[or not) I have never done a tribute to Gladys Knight, her brother Merald "Bubba" Knight, and her cousins William Guest and the late Edward Patten....Gladys Knight and the Pips! Well...tonight I will rectify that negligence by giving them a 3 hour spotlight. I could rave about Gladys' amazing voice, the Pips heavenly harmonies, and an over half a century long career...but you know all that. I've got some special things to share with you, too, and the music tonight will cover Motown and more!! And though I can't promise...I'll do my best to play your requests. So join me tonight for a "Pip" of a show with Gladys and her family...on "Nightflight...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks! See you on the radio! Johnhttp://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0003/641/MI0003641464.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

144man
12-02-2014, 04:01 PM
I'll never understand why a track as good as "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love " wasn't released at the time, or how "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" got to #13 in the UK, but only reached #98 in the USA.

Mark Desjardines
12-02-2014, 08:17 PM
John, I posted this comment on Facebook, but for those on this site, maybe someone has an answer. Gladys Knight & The Pips's 1967 single, "Everybody Needs Love," had a Marvin Gaye composition "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" as the flip side. The recording didn't appear on the group's first Soul label Album, but I just noticed that the Complete Motown Singles 1967 edition didn't include this recording either. Does anyone know Why? It's a moody kind of song, and I quite like it. It finally appeared on a British twofer CD, "Everybody Needs Love/ Feelin' Bluesy. If you can find a source, it would be very cool to hear it on your Gladys Knight & The Pips radio program this evening.

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 08:32 PM
John, I posted this comment on Facebook, but for those on this site, maybe someone has an answer. Gladys Knight & The Pips's 1967 single, "Everybody Needs Love," had a Marvin Gaye composition "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" as the flip side. The recording didn't appear on the group's first Soul label Album, but I just noticed that the Complete Motown Singles 1967 edition didn't include this recording either. Does anyone know Why? It's a moody kind of song, and I quite like it. It finally appeared on a British twofer CD, "Everybody Needs Love/ Feelin' Bluesy. If you can find a source, it would be very cool to hear it on your Gladys Knight & The Pips radio program this evening. Still my 2 favorite GK and the Ps albums, Mark! And that track....I got it...so you get it! Thanks, Sir!

reese
12-02-2014, 09:25 PM
John, I posted this comment on Facebook, but for those on this site, maybe someone has an answer. Gladys Knight & The Pips's 1967 single, "Everybody Needs Love," had a Marvin Gaye composition "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" as the flip side. The recording didn't appear on the group's first Soul label Album, but I just noticed that the Complete Motown Singles 1967 edition didn't include this recording either. Does anyone know Why? It's a moody kind of song, and I quite like it. It finally appeared on a British twofer CD, "Everybody Needs Love/ Feelin' Bluesy. If you can find a source, it would be very cool to hear it on your Gladys Knight & The Pips radio program this evening.

STEPPING CLOSER TO YOUR HEART was originally the flip side to the 1966 single JUST WALK IN MY SHOES. So it appears on the Complete Motown Singles 1966 edition.

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Oh...by the way....Tom Moulton was very kind and thoughtful and is sharing a track never aired nor released before by GKATPs...it's quite terrific! Thanks, Tom!!!

franjoy56
12-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Oh...by the way....Tom Moulton was very kind and thoughtful and is sharing a track never aired nor released before by GKATPs...it's quite terrific! Thanks, Tom!!!hi johnny im lookin forward, i kkow u will be playing the best from the motown and latter buddah yrs, but would u be able to,play letters full of tears found on t anthology motown, and i feel a song in my heart from the buddah yrs. I cant wait to hear ur show grst choice Gladys Knight and the pips were a premiere act.

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 09:55 PM
hi johnny im lookin forward, i kkow u will be playing the best from the motown and latter buddah yrs, but would u be able to,play letters full of tears found on t anthology motown, and i feel a song in my heart from the buddah yrs. I cant wait to hear ur show grst choice Gladys Knight and the pips were a premiere act.

Hello there, Franjoy!!! Sure....I will play those for you!!

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 09:57 PM
....in the studio....howdeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Glenpwood
12-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Evening John & The Gang!

Here with Carl and I know tonights playlist will be killer! Looking forward to all the surprises in store

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Evening John & The Gang!

Here with Carl and I know tonights playlist will be killer! Looking forward to all the surprises in store

Hello Glen and Carl!!!! Great to see you, Gents!!!

144man
12-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Enjoying your show with every beat of my heart.

Martin

franjoy56
12-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Thanks johnny oh what memories. Those two tracks from the opening tracks of t anthology album. Thank you. Franjoy, frances from brooklyn ny.

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks johnny oh what memories. Those two tracks from the opening tracks of t anthology album. Thank you. Franjoy, frances from brooklyn ny.

My pleasure....Frances!!! Hola to Brooklyn!!!

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:27 PM
JOHN!! Fellow Nightflighters!! Hope everyone is well and had a fantastic Thanksgiving.

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else hearing John out of only one channel?

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Gladys is performing in Houston in a month or two. Does anyone know if she'll be singing Motown or standards or both?

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else hearing John out of only one channel?

Howdy thereMike...happy Thanksgiving to you too! I just checkied my internet connection...I'm getting both channels...

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Howdy thereMike...happy Thanksgiving to you too! I just checkied my internet connection...I'm getting both channels...

I hear music out of both channels, but only hear your mic mostly out of one channel. Oh well!

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I Will Fight!! TOP TUNE! LOVE IT.

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I love some of the songs she did with Chris Botti.....one being "Lover Man".

MotownLover
12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Always liked Gladys & her Pips when they came to my attention on my little transistor radio with their earliest single releases on the Motown subsidiary label, Soul: "Just Walk In My Shoes" and "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me." I knew they weren't killer tracks back then, but they sure eventually showed their talent on stuff that got released and that which amazingly stayed in the Motown vaults that should have seen the light of day way back when!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA:cool:

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Does anybody have any idea how much music is still sitting in the Motown vaults? Are they waiting for all of us to die before they release it? Seriously!

texassoul
12-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Claudine!!

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Always liked Gladys & her Pips when they came to my attention on my little transistor radio with their earliest single releases on the Motown subsidiary label, Soul: "Just Walk In My Shoes" and "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me." I knew they weren't killer tracks back then, but they sure eventually showed their talent on stuff that got released and that which amazingly stayed in the Motown vaults that should have seen the light of day way back when!!!

Hello Howard!! Great to see you. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww..."Just Walk In My SHoes" KILLS ME!!!!!!

vgalindo
12-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Enjoying the show. Love Gladys Knight ad the Pips. Thanks Midnight Johnny.

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Does anybody have any idea how much music is still sitting in the Motown vaults? Are they waiting for all of us to die before they release it? Seriously!.....I believe there are still a few tons...but what do I know [[*grin)....

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Enjoying the show. Love Gladys Knight ad the Pips. Thanks Midnight Johnny. Hello there Victor!!!! Great to see you!!!

vgalindo
12-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Hello there Victor!!!! Great to see you!!!

Thank you.. Great to see you too!

texassoul
12-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Does Tom Moulton have a regular radio gig?

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Does Tom Moulton have a regular radio gig? Nope.....all he does is mix.....mix....mix!!! Thank God!

texassoul
12-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Really liking Moulton's choice of this song!

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Really liking Moulton's choice of this song!.....QUITE gorgeous!!!!!

texassoul
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Nope.....all he does is mix.....mix....mix!!! Thank God!

Speaking of which, when are you gonna get back to work remixing?? We're waiting for more of your beloved remixes with great anticipation!!

144man
12-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Hundreds of people in the UK would disagree that those two tracks weren't killer tracks:)

midnight johnny
12-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Speaking of which, when are you gonna get back to work remixing?? We're waiting for more of your beloved remixes with great anticipation!! Thanks a lot, Mike......

texassoul
12-02-2014, 11:51 PM
"Taste Of Bitter Love".....my top favorite by Gladys. Nicely and respectfully covered by D-Influence.

texassoul
12-02-2014, 11:54 PM
D-Influence cover of Taste Of Bitter Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVF3C0o6iLQ

supremester
12-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Great show.... AGAIN!!! My fave Gladys: Nitty Gritty, If I Were Your Woman, You Need Love Like I Do, I Don't Want To Do Wrong, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Midnight Train and Hero. I never liked the song at all when Bette did it, but I saw Gladys do it live a few years ago and it blew me away. WOW.
anyway, thanks for another great evening!!

Gregg & geoff

Mark Desjardines
12-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Reese, Many thanks for pointing out where I can find Gladys Knight & The Pip's version of "Stepping Closer To Your Heart." Don't know how I overlooked that! And many thanks to you John,
for playing it this evening. And to Hear ""Taste of Bitter Love" again!

texassoul
12-03-2014, 12:00 AM
YES to the request for an extended version of Baby Don't Change Your Mind.

texassoul
12-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Love John's extended version of If I Were Your Woman.....brilliant.

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Great show.... AGAIN!!! My fave Gladys: Nitty Gritty, If I Were Your Woman, You Need Love Like I Do, I Don't Want To Do Wrong, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Midnight Train and Hero. I never liked the song at all when Bette did it, but I saw Gladys do it live a few years ago and it blew me away. WOW.
anyway, thanks for another great evening!!

Gregg & geoff

Thank you, Gregg and Geoff!!!! Great to see you....!

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Love John's extended version of If I Were Your Woman.....brilliant.

Mike.....thank you so much...glad you like it!!!

carole cucumber
12-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Johnny,

Great show... however, please see were [[revisited)

http://unenlightenedenglish.com/2009/05/was-vs-were

supremester
12-03-2014, 12:05 AM
How are you gonna beat that? Killer remix TY

carole cucumber
12-03-2014, 12:07 AM
"Snuck in"... yes, just got home from a [[pre)Christmas gathering .

supremester
12-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Carol: thank you !
Johnny,

Great show... however, please see were [[revisted)

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Johnny,

Great show... however, please see were [[revisited)

Carole....thank you....I will check that out when I get home......I perused the interesting exploration of the 2 usages. Thanks!

144man
12-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Grammatically, "If I were" is one of the few surviving examples of the subjunctive mood in English. Another example is "Long live the king".

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:11 AM
How are you gonna beat that? Killer remix TY Thanks, Gregg!!!

supremester
12-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Thanks - this isn't Motown, but she had it before she left, so it kind of fits. This is the alt Stereo vocal.

Mark Desjardines
12-03-2014, 12:14 AM
John, "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" sounds even better than I remember. It was certainly good enough to have been included in Gladys Knight & The Pips "Everybody Needs Love" album, but I'm very happy that you gave this mostly forgotten gem some exposure this evening. Thanks again!

supremester
12-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Tell us about your biscotti ; )

supremester
12-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Were is used for hypotheticals, was for facts.

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:21 AM
John, "Stepping Closer To Your Heart" sounds even better than I remember. It was certainly good enough to have been included in Gladys Knight & The Pips "Everybody Needs Love" album, but I'm very happy that you gave this mostly forgotten gem some exposure this evening. Thanks again! Thank you for asking, Sir!!!

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Tell us about your biscotti ; ) Well...Margie may be sending me a care package....my begging worked!!!!

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Thanks All for a great and quite fun show! See you next week...be safe and happy.....

supremester
12-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks to your extended version, I finally get why this song is SO familiar - change 3 notes and one progression and it is now The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me - hear it?

Thanks for another great show to hear while decorating the tree, MJ - stay warm!

Gregg & Geoff

144man
12-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Another great show.

No one would ever use this phrase anymore, but "Toodle Pip"!

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks to your extended version, I finally get why this song is SO familiar - change 3 notes and one progression and it is now The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me - hear it?

Thanks for another great show to hear while decorating the tree, MJ - stay warm!

Gregg & Geoff Gregg and Geoff...thank YOU!!

midnight johnny
12-03-2014, 02:17 AM
Another great show.

No one would ever use this phrase anymore, but "Toodle Pip"! Thanks Martin......!!!