PDA

View Full Version : MOTOWN's Rare Earth-Label LP Titles Available On CD

test

Philles/Motown Gary
12-01-2014, 04:54 PM
To no_place_like_motown: I want to personally thank you for the Rare Earth-label thread that you started a few weeks ago. I had no idea that so many Motown album titles on the Rare Earth label were available on CD. I checked them all out and bought every one that I could find on Amazon. Thanks to you, I was able to find a total of 11 [[not counting the group Rare Earth, whose albums I already have on CD). Not being a hard-rock fan, I was amazed at how many of these albums I actually like -- or, in some cases, I even LOVE! I would have to say that my favorites are Xit – the Native American group who Ralph Terrana raved about in his excellent autobiography, "The Road Through Motown". [[You were so right, Ralph – these guys are fantastic! Their sound is a unique combination of Indian, Motown, and at times, given the heavy use of shakers in two tracks, even 1965-era Phil Spector!) I was especially pleasantly surprised to discover how much I like the group Toe Fat! Those guys can really rock – but in a good way! The group Love Sculpture is a bluesy white group who I also found myself enjoying a lot. Crystal Mansion is a soft rock group which has some decent songs on their album. Other Rare Earth-label CD’s that I bought were by the Pretty Things, Power Of Zeus, and Sunday Funnies. Unfortunately, those groups/titles are out-of-my-league psychedelic rock which I can’t identify with to save me; nevertheless, it’s great to have all of these Motown/Rare Earth-label albums in my CD collection.

Here are the links in case anyone else is interested in making a purchase. If not, it’s still cool to see these album/CD covers for the first time, as I had never seen most of them before. Hope you enjoy!

XIT - "Plight Of The Red Man"
http://www.amazon.com/Plight-Redman-Xit/dp/B000000S40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465399&sr=8-1&keywords=xit+plight+of+the+red+man+cd

XIT - "Silent Warrior"
http://www.amazon.com/XIT-Silent-Warrior-Tom-Bee/dp/B004LX0SRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465501&sr=8-2&keywords=xit+silent+warrior+cd

TOE FAT - "Toe Fat"
http://www.amazon.com/Toe-Fat/dp/B0000074I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465582&sr=8-2&keywords=toe+fat+cd

TOE FAT - "Two"
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Toe-Fat/dp/B0000074I3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465663&sr=8-2&keywords=toe+fat+two+cd

CRYSTAL MANSION - Crystal Mansion [[Golden Classics Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Classics-Crystal-Mansion/dp/B000000866/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465815&sr=8-1&keywords=crystal+mansion+cd

LOVE SCULPTURE - "Blues Helping"
http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Helping-Love-Sculpture/dp/B000VBNSL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465920&sr=8-1&keywords=Love+Sculpture+cd

POWER OF ZEUS - "The Gospel According To Zeus"
http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Zeus-Power/dp/B004L1ECVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417465987&sr=8-1&keywords=power+of+zeus+cd

R. DEAN TAYLOR - "Essential Collection" [[A collection – NOT a reissued album)
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Collection-R-Dean-Taylor/dp/B00005LOAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417466080&sr=8-1&keywords=r.+dean+taylor+essential+collection+cd

SUNDAY FUNNIES - "Sunday Funnies"
http://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Funnies/dp/B00CD0L360/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417466230&sr=8-1&keywords=sunday+funnies+cd

PRETTY THINGS - "S.F. Sorrow"
http://www.amazon.com/S-F-Sorrow-Pretty-Things/dp/B005DOK7SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417466306&sr=8-1&keywords=pretty+things+s.f.+sorrow+cd

PRETTY THINGS - "Parachute"
http://www.amazon.com/Parachute-Pretty-Things/dp/B00006ALRJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417466352&sr=8-2&keywords=pretty+things+parachute+cd

There ya are! That pretty much covers all of them. As Motown fans, I hope you have as much fun discovering these as I have. - Gary

ralpht
12-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Gary,
Glad you hear what I heard in Xit. The thing I always liked about that album is all the tom toms and bells and such are authentic tribal instruments. We kept it old school on that one. I stay in touch with the guys and we all agree that should the opportunity arise, we would go back in the studio for a reprise of some sort. They continue to have a large following in the Southwest.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Gary,
Glad you hear what I heard in Xit. The thing I always liked about that album is all the tom toms and bells and such are authentic tribal instruments. We kept it old school on that one. I stay in touch with the guys and we all agree that should the opportunity arise, we would go back in the studio for a reprise of some sort. They continue to have a large following in the Southwest.

Hey, Ralph! I was hoping I would catch your attention with this one! Yeah, I, too, love the tom-toms and all of the various percussion used throughout the Xit sessions. The first two tracks on "Plight Of The Red Man" were particularly heavy on shakers which pleasantly reminded me of Phil Spector’s wall of thundering percussion. It’s a shame that Motown didn’t promote Xit more aggressively. I think their soulful sound would have appealed to the masses as it did to you and me. During my first listening, I really cranked the sucker through my headphones. I got goosebumps throughout the entire "Plight Of The Red Man" CD. I thought, "Wow! This is fantastic! Ralph was right. Xit is HOT!" I also loved their "Silent Warrior" CD, but I think, overall, "Plight Of The Red Man" hit me the hardest.

I hope that you DO go back into the studio with Xit, Ralph. Keep it old school and those who are lucky enough to hear it will love it, too!

Now, if we could just get Stoney & Meatloaf's Motown/Rare Earth album [[containing the stereo versions of your brilliant productions) on CD, we would be all set! - Gary

calvin
12-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Gary [[or anyone who knows), most of these releases are on labels that I've never heard of. Are these from the master tapes or are they vinyl rips?

mysterysinger
12-02-2014, 12:09 PM
How could you forget "Dan The Banjo Man"?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dan-Banjo-Man/dp/B0009LNRJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417536340&sr=8-1&keywords=dan+the+banjo+man

mysterysinger
12-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Toe Fat also a Two Fer.....8755

Philles/Motown Gary
12-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Gary [[or anyone who knows), most of these releases are on labels that I've never heard of. Are these from the master tapes or are they vinyl rips?

Calvin, they're all from the master tapes and they sound great! If you wanna try just one, do yourself a favor and buy XIT's "Plight Of The Red Man". These guys have great harmonies and they can really sing! And it's not like some "world" music where you can't identify with it no matter how you try. This is American Indian pop music with great melodies and a danceable beat. Like I said, imagine a combination of Motown and Phil Spector's Philles label where the tracks jump out at you and hook you from the start. That's XIT. They're powerful and exciting. I can't praise "Plight Of The Red Man" enough!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-02-2014, 12:35 PM
How could you forget "Dan The Banjo Man"?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dan-Banjo-Man/dp/B0009LNRJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417536340&sr=8-1&keywords=dan+the+banjo+man
I didn't forget, mysterysinger. According to my book "Heat Wave -- The Motown Fact Book" [[Motown's complete discography), there was no release by Dan The Banjo Man on the Rare Earth label for albums nor singles. And even if there were, I doubt if I would have bought this CD release that you pointed out, as the customer review warns that it was ripped from vinyl.

Hotspurman
12-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Dan The Banjo Man had three single releases on Rare Earth [[Dan The Banjo Man, Black Magic and Red River Valley), but these were UK releases only. The Dan The Banjo Man single was released in the US but on the main Motown label.

Hotspurman
12-02-2014, 12:46 PM
I remember reading that the Commodores release Movin' On was a vinyl rip, but if it was it was a bloody good one, because I couldn't tell the difference!

mysterysinger
12-02-2014, 01:13 PM
It was, of course, said tongue in cheek BUT there is a point to it in that outside of the US there were differences on the Rare Earth label [[as there were on Mowest). However, Dan The Banjo Man did indeed have an LP release on the Rare Earth label - in France and Germany .

http://www.discogs.com/Dan-The-Banjo-Man-Dan-The-Banjo-Man/release/4006727

Click on the album cover and you'll be able to see more images including one of the label.

thommg
12-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Gary, Gary, Gary, what am I going to do with you? Every time I read one of your threads you cost me money!!!! ;-)

I'm adding XIT to my wish list for Christmas, and if someone doesn't get it for me then I'll be forced to order it in January. I haven't heard of them before but in checking out the Amazon links, one album [[not on Motown) had track samples and I really enjoyed the sound. Thanks for pointing the way to some new [[older) music!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Dan The Banjo Man had three single releases on Rare Earth [[Dan The Banjo Man, Black Magic and Red River Valley), but these were UK releases only. The Dan The Banjo Man single was released in the US but on the main Motown label.
You're right, Hotspurman. I looked it up again in my Heat Wave [[Motown discography) book after brunch when I had more time. [[I had forgotten that the second half of Heat Wave is devoted to Motown's U.K. releases.) I have to wonder, if there was no Banjo Man LP in the U.S. nor the U.K., where did the CD [[LP) come from that mysterysinger pointed out? I'm guessing that it's a compilation of his Motown and his non-Motown singles.

144man
12-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I found the Sunday Funnies second album, "Benediction", a lot more accessible than the first. Unfortunately, my favourite Rare Earth label albums by Matrix [aka Tom Baird] and two by Rustix, have never appeared on CD.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-02-2014, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=mysterysinger;261578]It was, of course, said tongue in cheek BUT there is a point to it in that outside of the US there were differences on the Rare Earth label [[as there were on Mowest). However, Dan The Banjo Man did indeed have an LP release on the Rare Earth label - in France and Germany . QUOTE]

Nope, mysterysinger – I took you seriously! Wouldn’t you just know that, to make Motown’s releases even more frustrating and confusing, the U.S. got only one 45 of Dan The Banjo Man, the U.K. got 3 singles, and France and Germany got an entire album! I checked out Dan The Banjo Man’s LP on Amazon [[U.S.). Low and behold, both the CD AND the downloaded version are available. [[And they sound like they're from the master tape, too.) Strangely, however, only three of his released Motown 45's are available on this CD [["Dan The Banjo Man", "Black Magic", and "Londonderry"). For whatever reason, "Everything Will Rhyme", "Red River Valley", and "Theme of Love" are not included. I listened to the samples of each song and, I must say, I’m surprised.... Let’s just say that Dan The Banjo Man is not at all what you would expect to hear on any of the Motown labels. Completist that I am, however, I broke down and bought a copy of the CD just now – JUST to have in my Motown collection! [[I can blame you for steering me in this direction! HaHa)

Here’s the link for the Amazon U.S. CD/Download:

http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Banjo-Man/dp/B00ATCUFPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417551313&sr=8-2&keywords=dan+the+banjo+man

- Gary

mysterysinger
12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Gary - you fool you lol. Yes there were strange goings on outside of the US - did you know David Alexander had a Rare Earth single? Now he was indeed a fabulous singer [[from Wales). In all seriousness I think I would like to have "The Impact Of Brass" on CD. After all if they can issue the Gordon Staples "Strung Out" Motown LP on CD - then why not?

Philles/Motown Gary
12-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Gary, Gary, Gary, what am I going to do with you? Every time I read one of your threads you cost me money!!!! ;-)

I'm adding XIT to my wish list for Christmas, and if someone doesn't get it for me then I'll be forced to order it in January. I haven't heard of them before but in checking out the Amazon links, one album [[not on Motown) had track samples and I really enjoyed the sound. Thanks for pointing the way to some new [[older) music!

I know what you mean, thommg – my wallet [[er, what’s left of it) complains to me about it all the time! ;-)

If you liked the samples you heard, you’re bound to love Motown’s "Plight Of The Red Man". Did you read the 5 customer reviews? Their glowing reviews matched mine. "Silent Warrior" is good, too, but, if you only get one, "Plight Of The Red Man" is the one to have. A word to the wise, though -- I wouldn't wait too long. Now that the word is out, the few copies that Amazon has could sell out in no time at all.

Once again, here’s the link containing the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Plight-Redman-Xit/dp/B000000S40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417554713&sr=8-1&keywords=xit+plight+of+the+red+man

Oh, and you’re welcome, thom. Glad to help you! - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-02-2014, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=mysterysinger;261572]Toe Fat also a Two Fer...../QUOTE]

Yeah, mysterysinger, I’m aware of the Toe Fat two-fer. [[Try saying THAT 5 times in a row!!!) The truth is, I’m leary about two-fers. Ever since I found out that some of the Temptations two-fer CDs from the U.K. [[which I bought and which sound wonderful) used shortened versions of some of the songs in order to fit two albums onto one CD, and, worse, one of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles’ two-fers left out one song altogether, I’ve been sticking with one album per CD. I simply don’t trust two-fers any more, although, at one time, I loved them and swore by them.

mysterysinger
12-02-2014, 06:41 PM
You might want to check out The Impact Of Brass Facebook Page....https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Impact-of-Brass/208452869196895?fref=ts

thommg
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
I know what you mean, thommg – my wallet [[er, what’s left of it) complains to me about it all the time! ;-)

If you liked the samples you heard, you’re bound to love Motown’s "Plight Of The Red Man". Did you read the 5 customer reviews? Their glowing reviews matched mine. "Silent Warrior" is good, too, but, if you only get one, "Plight Of The Red Man" is the one to have. A word to the wise, though -- I wouldn't wait too long. Now that the word is out, the few copies that Amazon has could sell out in no time at all.

Oh, and you’re welcome, thom. Glad to help you! - Gary

I just couldn't let it sit there, hanging over my head, in the hope that someone would get it for me. So, I ordered Plight Of The Red Man. Oh, well, happy holidays to me!

144man
12-02-2014, 10:34 PM
"Cement Prairie" on Xit's "Plight of the Red Man" is an outstanding track.

Bokiluis
12-02-2014, 11:12 PM
I was first introduced to Xit on Smokey Robinson's "My Soul Responding". There harmonies on that one song convinced me to buy the Xit album. Motown had a very respectable Rock A&R staff. It was just hard to break from the main label's strong image. Heck, even the excellent Rare Earth broke through with Motown covers. But the Rare Earth label had several interesting signings.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 03:47 AM
I remember reading that the Commodores release Movin' On was a vinyl rip, but if it was it was a bloody good one, because I couldn't tell the difference!
You're right, Hotspurman. Same goes for Jean Carn's Motown album on CD. They say that anything on the VINYL MASTERPIECE label is taken from vinyl, but you'd sure never know it. You'd swear that Jean's CD is from the mastertapes.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 03:51 AM
I was first introduced to Xit on Smokey Robinson's "My Soul Responding". There harmonies on that one song convinced me to buy the Xit album. Motown had a very respectable Rock A&R staff. It was just hard to break from the main label's strong image. Heck, even the excellent Rare Earth broke through with Motown covers. But the Rare Earth label had several interesting signings.
Bokiluis, that was XIT on Smokey's "Just My Soul Responding? I didn't know that. Which XIT album did you get -- "Plight Of The Red Man" or "Silent Warrior"? They're both good, but "Plight Of The Red Man" is my personal favorite -- a musical masterpiece.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 04:01 AM
Yeah, 144man, it’s a great track. The entire album is. This past evening, I put everything aside and played nothing but XIT’s "Plight Of The Red Man" CD – 5 times in a row! I couldn’t stop! That’s how taken I am by it. It’s the best new music [[new to me) that I’ve heard in a LONG time. At one point between the 5 total plays, I found myself playing the final track [["End?") over and over and over. The music and vocals, the melody, and the message are so powerful, it put a lump in my throat that wouldn’t quit.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 07:31 AM
I just couldn't let it sit there, hanging over my head, in the hope that someone would get it for me. So, I ordered Plight Of The Red Man. Oh, well, happy holidays to me!

Hey, Thom -- congratulations! I was hoping you'd say that! You won't be sorry! I can hardly wait to hear how you like it! I was just telling one of the other posters that I played it over and over 5 times last night. After having played it for the very first time a few nights ago, I was able to relax this time around and enjoy it more thoroughly. I also noticed some things about the music that I hadn't noticed before or which hadn't sunk in yet. The lead singer's voice is extremely pop-friendly and instantly likeable. The string arrangements throughout are powerful and absolutely gorgeous -- always coming in at just the right places. The female back-up vocals are superb. Their blend doesn't sound like The Andantes, but, whoever they are, they're excellent and perfectly suited for this music. All in all, "Plight Of The Redman" is perfect from start to finish. The songs range from beautiful ballads to mid-tempo pop tunes to all-out rockers -- each one highly melodic and singable. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the very last track titled "End?" which is a reworking of the very first track titled "Beginning". Whereas "Beginning" is an excellent ballad, "End?" is an outstanding and intense masterpiece. It's the most beautiful and the most gripping track on there. At one point, I played "End?" over and over at least 10 times in a row. It's that beautiful and that powerful. The combination of the spoken message and the heavenly music and vocals simultaneously gave me goosebumps AND put a lump in my throat. That's all I'm gonna say. [[Ralph knows what I'm talking about!) One last thing that finally registered is that the album/CD covers for "Plight Of The Red Man" and "Silent Warrior" are not accurately shown on Amazon. For whatever reason, Amazon is showing the back cover of each booklet. So, when your CD arrives, don't be shocked that it doesn't look like what you expected. All in all, Thom, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I'll expect a complete review! HaHa! - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 08:03 AM
You might want to check out The Impact Of Brass Facebook Page....https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Impact-of-Brass/208452869196895?fref=ts

Yeah, mysterysinger, I used to own a copy of the Impact Of Brass album. I wish it would come out on CD.

ralpht
12-03-2014, 08:08 AM
The backup singers are Telma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent [[ before they became Dawn with Tony Orlando) and a third singer named Bunny, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what label is being shown for the CDs. The band's manager, Tommy Bee somehow[[and I'll never figure out how it was accomplished) acquired the master tapes from Motown and formed his own company, SOAR, re-releasing the albums on that label with much success.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Gary - you fool you lol. Yes there were strange goings on outside of the US - did you know David Alexander had a Rare Earth single? Now he was indeed a fabulous singer [[from Wales). In all seriousness I think I would like to have "The Impact Of Brass" on CD. After all if they can issue the Gordon Staples "Strung Out" Motown LP on CD - then why not?

Mysterysinger, I'm not familiar with David Alexander. But, as I said in another post to you, I, too, wish the Impact Of Brass would come out on CD along with the San Remo Golden Strings' "Hungry For Love" and "Swing"! When it comes to Motown, anything's possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Hotspurman
12-03-2014, 08:45 AM
A bit of a plug, I know, but here is the info on David Alexander from my book Motown Encyclopedia:

Born in Blackwood, Monmouthshire in 1939, David Alexander Ebdon left Bedwelty Grammar School in Gwent at the age of sixteen and followed his father and eldest brother down the mines at Oakdale Colliery. After a few years of back breaking work, he left the mines and studied as a machine engineer before becoming foreman at a brake company. There he also joined singing company the Trenewdd Singers that appeared on ‘Opportunity Knocks’, with his performance being singled out as worthy of pursuing a singing career. Acting on that advice and adopting the name Ricky Mason, he went out on the road performing across the country. It was, however, under the name David Alexander that he got his first recording contract with Columbia, releasing If I Could See The Rhondda One More Time. Several singles and years later, he was one of the artists briefly signed to Rare Earth in the UK, with Phil Cordell writing and producing Love Love Love that was released in February 1974. It was not released in the US and David went back to the Columbia label thereafter. He died from a heart attack on 4 February 1995.

Hotspurman
12-03-2014, 08:46 AM
By the way, the Columbia label referred to above is the EMI label, not CBS.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 09:01 AM
The backup singers are Telma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent [[ before they became Dawn with Tony Orlando) and a third singer named Bunny, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what label is being shown for the CDs. The band's manager, Tommy Bee somehow[[and I'll never figure out how it was accomplished) acquired the master tapes from Motown and formed his own company, SOAR, re-releasing the albums on that label with much success.
Thanks, Ralph! I was gonna check out the credits in the CD booklet last night but I didn’t get a chance. I do remember now that you had mentioned Telma and Joyce in your book. Thank God that Tommy Bee obtained the masters from Motown [[however he managed it). I can’t imagine not having "Plight Of The Red Man" in my collection.

To answer your question, Ralph, "Plight Of The Red Man" and "Silent Warrior" are on the Soar label – Soar 101 and 102, respectively. "Plight" mentions that all tunes are written and produced by Tommy Bee in association with Motown staff producer Mike Valvano and published by EMI/Jobete Music [[ASCAP).

It also states that "Plight" was recorded at Motown/Hitsville Studios in Detroit, Michigan. [[You’ll love this next part!) It says, "Special thanks to Russ and Ralph Terrana for their technical support on this historical recording" [[Way to go, Ralph!) "and to musical arranger David Van DePitte for his masterful string arrangements." [[So THAT’s why I love the super string passages so much! David Van DePitte [[along with Paul Riser) is one of my all-time favorite Motown arrangers. As always, he did a fantastic job on this XIT album!

As an added touch, the back of both CD covers use a take-off on Motown’s "The Sound Of Young America" by billing themselves as "The Sound Of Indian America"! Very cool!

If you have any more questions about my XIT CD’s, Ralph, just ask. Thanks again for your help. [[BTW, you were SO LUCKY to have sat in on those sessions! I would give my right arm to have been there with you. - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 09:20 AM
To hotspurman: Thanks for the information on David Alexander. You mentioned the name Phil Cordell. He’s Dan The Disco Man, isn’t he? We were just talking about him! In fact, I ordered his CD yesterday!

Say, hotspurman, you mentioned "plugging" your Motown Encyclopedia. [[I love that book, although I haven’t had a chance to sit down and go through it all yet.) Are you by any chance Graham Betts? If you are, how cool is that!!! - Gary

ralpht
12-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Gary,
I emailed Mac Suazo of Xit[[bass) to see if he and Michael Martinez[[vocals) would join us on this thread.

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 09:42 AM
144man, I'll have to check out Sunday Funnies "Benediction".

I don’t believe it! FINALLY I’ve found somebody who can identify with Rustix’ "Bedlam"! I LOVE that album! In fact, I’ve placed it high on my CD wantlist. Not only that, Rustix were from Rochester, NY, about 50 miles from where I grew up around the Finger Lakes area. I never got a chance to hear their second album. I loved the horn and string arrangements on "Bedlam" which made it pure Motown, but when I heard that their second album was more rock oriented, I didn’t bother to buy it. Now I wish that I had. Let’s keep the faith about The Rustix’ "Bedlam" seeing a CD release as well as their second album. - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Gary,
I emailed Mac Suazo of Xit[[bass) to see if he and Michael Martinez[[vocals) would join us on this thread.

Hey, Ralph, that would be great! [[But do you mean right now? I was just getting ready to go to bed. It’s 7:44 a.m. and I haven’t had any sleep. I’ve been up all night promoting XIT to the Motowners!) - Gary

Hotspurman
12-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes, that would be me!

Do you have it as an ebook or paperback? The paperback appears to be doing particularly well at the moment!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 09:57 AM

You mean, "Cement Prairie" on "Silent Warrior". [[No problem, 144man. I didn't catch it before, either, until now.) - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 10:03 AM
To hotspurman: Hey, Graham! It’s great to meet you! Between you and Ralph, I feel like I'm rubbing elbows with Motown royalty here! To answer your question, I have the paperback version of your book. That way, I can relax and read it anywhere without being glued to a computer screen. Glad to hear that it’s selling well for you. You certainly put a world of effort into it. Here’s hoping that it literally flies off the shelves! - Gary

ralpht
12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Hey Gary,
Get some sleep. Because of time differences, it may be a while before I hear from them.

Hotspurman
12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Well I'm certainly not royalty! Ralph may well be deserving of such a moniker, given the number of drama queens he sometimes has to deal with on this site!

Glad you like the book.

ralpht
12-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I spoke with Mac Suazo and have set up membership accounts for him and Michael so we may hear from them today sometime.

Hi Graham,
Hope the book is doing well.

Hotspurman
12-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi Ralph

Yes, the book is doing well – physical sales are now running at five times the ebook sales, which is particularly good considering there are no images or illustrations inside. Al Abrams has also been very helpful, so a big shout out to him.
I’m hoping UK interest will significantly increase when Motown The Musical is announced....

ralpht
12-03-2014, 12:33 PM
That is very good news, Graham.

thommg
12-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi Ralph

Yes, the book is doing well – physical sales are now running at five times the ebook sales, which is particularly good considering there are no images or illustrations inside. Al Abrams has also been very helpful, so a big shout out to him.
I’m hoping UK interest will significantly increase when Motown The Musical is announced....

Not to hijack this thread, and I will give a complete review once I listen to my XIT cd, but I just had to tell my sister to get me the Motown Encyclopedia. I had forgotten to add that to my list. Hopefully she will order that now and I'll have it on Christmas day!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I spoke with Mac Suazo and have set up membership accounts for him and Michael so we may hear from them today sometime.

That sounds great, Ralph! I'm gonna be in and out today, but I'll keep checking back periodically. - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Not to hijack this thread, and I will give a complete review once I listen to my XIT cd, but I just had to tell my sister to get me the Motown Encyclopedia. I had forgotten to add that to my list. Hopefully she will order that now and I'll have it on Christmas day!
You're not hijackin' it, Thom. When it comes to birthday and Christmas gifts, that's the way to do it to ensure that you get what you want. Or, you can take it one step further like I do. I've learned the hard way that if you see something you want, buy it NOW. If you procrastinate for even a day, it could be gone. So, go ahead and buy it yourself now and keep the receipt. Then, when your significant other, family, or friend asks you what you want for your birthday or for Christmas, whip out the Motown book or CD and say, "Well, this would make a great gift for me if you wanna!" They'll gladly accept your offer as it eases their shopping worries, you'll get what you want [[with reimbursement), and everybody's happy. You'll have your XIT CD in your hands in just a few days, and best of luck that your sister will come through with the "Motown Encyclopedia" for Christmas. It's a wonderful reference book on anything Motown.... and then some! - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Hey Mac, welcome to the Motown Forum! It's great to have you here! I’ve been looking forward to talking with you. I knew that XIT was a Native American Motown group with two early 1970's album releases on the Rare Earth label, but I never had a chance to check out your music until this week when I purchased your "Plight Of The Red Man" and "Silent Warrior" CD’s which I just learned were available. Great stuff! I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a CD of new music [[new to me) that moved me so. The songs and melodies, the arrangements, the production, and the performances are outstanding from the authentic percussion and instrumentation right up through and including David Van DePitte's exquisite string arrangements and the soulful back-up female vocals. The overall message is powerful and so true. I found myself playing "Plight Of The Red Man" over and over, 5 times in a row in one night! The last track [["End?") hit me the hardest, as I played that track alone at least 10 times in a row. That's how much it impressed and hooked me.

I just finished reading Ralph's book, "The Road Through Motown", in which he raved about what exceptionally talented performers XIT is. He was so right! - Gary

Philles/Motown Gary
12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotspurman
12-04-2014, 05:36 AM
CreateSpace do seem to turn around the books very quickly, so I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems getting hold of a copy for Christmas! And many thanks, from a grateful author!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Just A Teaser! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, but after seeing Ralph’s link for XIT’s End? in the other Rare Earth thread, I decided to provide a few of my own here. Hope you like them. [[Produced by Tom Bee along with Ralph & Russ Terrana!)

From XIT’s PLIGHT OF THE RED MAN CD [[Rare Earth/Soar Records) [[String arrangements by David Van DePitte; Back-up vocals by Telma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent [[pre-Tony Orlando & Dawn), and a girl named Bunny):

Beginning/End? [[Uploaded to YouTube by Bucky Tuckfield. Bucky somehow managed to seque the first track [[Beginning) and the last track [[End?) – and he did it beautifully, I might add. If only it were uploaded a bit louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jC1KOOeKK4

I Was Raised [[Uploaded to YouTube by Leo Kountouris)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJO3E_E3hc

End? [[Finale, by itself) [[My personal favorite.) [[Uploaded to YouTube by Hupababy83)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMdALV5gxNw

From XIT’s SILENT WARRIOR CD [[Rare Earth/Soar Records) [[String arrangements by Tom Baird and Gene Page)

Reservation Of Education [[Uploaded to YouTube by EKBelam7000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qguSNTO7Mc
[[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qguSNTO7Mc)
Birth [[Uploaded to YouTube by Twinmonsterslayer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKKjpfDnwI

Cement Prairie [[Uploaded by XIT - Topic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRYJlO9KAA

Anthem Of The America Indian [[Uploaded to YouTube by XIT - Topic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEFJ3W4bpMs

I hope y’all enjoy these XIT Motown/Rare Earth/Soar Records tracks as much as I am. It’s the best new [[new to me) music I’ve heard in a LONG time. - Gary

kenneth
12-05-2014, 11:55 AM
What a great thread. I didn't know about the Rare Earth Live in Chicago album. I'm pretty sure I have XIT's first LP but not the second, but I may have never listened to it. [[I'm sure I bought it years after their stint with Motown when I was collecting all Rare Earth label titles.)

I'm going to seek out the links above to hear more of XIT's music and also plan to purchase the new Rare Earth LP.

Now what we really need is a great 2 or 3 CD anthology of the Rare Earth label! I imagine there are lots of hidden gems we don't know about in addition to these.

Thanks guys!

Hotspurman
12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
"Now what we really need is a great 2 or 3 CD anthology of the Rare Earth label! I imagine there are lots of hidden gems we don't know about in addition to these."

There was a CD compilation done of the Mowest label done a year or two ago that was a good starting point for that label, so maybe there will be one for Rare Earth. As far as I can tell, there were two problems getting this off the ground. If you collected the Complete Motown Singles packages, you will know that several of the Rare Earth single releases were omitted because of licensing issues – they had originally been released by EMI in Europe and issued by Rare Earth in the US under a licensing agreement. Since Universal has now bought most of EMI that may not be an issue any more, although I’ve been speaking to a couple of artists who had previously recorded for EMI and their product is now controlled by Warner Brothers [[WB bought the Parlophone label and, seemingly, some if not all of the Columbia label).

The second issue is Universal itself – would a Rare Earth label compilation sell well enough to justify the time and effort? If it wouldn’t [[and I have no way of knowing what kind of figures Universal would require to even break even), then are Universal prepared to licence out to anyone else?

kenneth
12-05-2014, 01:30 PM
@hotspurman, I hope there is deemed a market for such a release. I'm often amazed by some labels which get anthologized nowadays. I love late 60s acid/psych/fuzz/prog rock and there's so many anthologies of various labels [[Liberty, for example, as well as labels which were fairly obscure even back then such as Mainstream) of this type of music. Rare Earth certainly has a worthy lineage as being part of Motown.

Liberty had a couple big acts but Mainstream had none, and there's a great double CD out of theirs called "With Love...A Pot of Flowers." So hopefully, one day someone will see fit to anthologize RE!

I have to admit, I bought the Mowest anthology [[on vinyl!) but don't think I've played it yet!

Philles/Motown Gary
12-05-2014, 03:05 PM
What a great thread. I didn't know about the Rare Earth Live in Chicago album. I'm pretty sure I have XIT's first LP but not the second, but I may have never listened to it. [[I'm sure I bought it years after their stint with Motown when I was collecting all Rare Earth label titles.)

I'm going to seek out the links above to hear more of XIT's music and also plan to purchase the new Rare Earth LP.

Now what we really need is a great 2 or 3 CD anthology of the Rare Earth label! I imagine there are lots of hidden gems we don't know about in addition to these.

Thanks guys!
Thanks, Kenneth. And you're very welcome! I, too, would like to see a 2-3-CD Various-Artist box set devoted to Motown's Rare Earth records. Keep the faith -- stranger things have been known to happen! - Gary

mysterysinger
12-06-2014, 09:42 AM
And I, for one, can't wait for this album to be re-issued on CD. after all Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus. Nice organ actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RztMXe1T-LU

mysterysinger
12-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Whilst we're at it - here's the other side.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Sxjdpflwc

Philles/Motown Gary
12-06-2014, 03:58 PM
And I, for one, can't wait for this album to be re-issued on CD. after all Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus. Nice organ actually.

You’re right, mysterysinger – Sounds Nice’s "Love At First Sight" is a really nice track which I had never heard before. Yes, the organ makes it unique, and I especially like it when the strings come in. [[I’m a sucker for Motown string passages.)

The Sounds Nice recording you uploaded here sounds so master-tape-worthy, I checked it out on Amazon. Lo and behold, the song "Love At First Sight" by Sounds Nice is available as a download. Unfortunately, it’s not the complete Motown/Rare Earth album. It’s merely one track [[Track 16) on a non-Motown Various-Artist compilation. But, for now, it’s better than nothing....and I'm buying it! Thanks for making me aware! - Gary

Here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS8HAVA/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Philles/Motown Gary
12-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Mysterysinger, I just made an official request to Harry for SOUNDS NICE's "Love At First Sight" album in the thread titled "Our CD/Download Want List For Harry". Not sure it will do any good due to licensing problems inherent with some Rare Earth-label product, but we'll see what happens. - Gary

TomatoTom123
01-10-2018, 10:20 PM
WOW, I recently downloaded some Rare Earth albums and then started looking at the Rare Earth label... and found this thread...

Well can I just say I didn’t realise how many groups there were on the label! Damn... I had never even given Xit a listen before, and I kinda like them. The Crystal Mansion I like too, great lead voice.

However, Toe Fat, wtf is going on there? Oh my the album cover... weird weird weird. Phew... and The Power Of Zeus... hard psychedelic rock... experimental for Motown or what. Oh and Dan The Banjo Man... absolute madness... :D

interesting stuff

Philles/Motown Gary
01-10-2018, 10:45 PM
WOW, I recently downloaded some Rare Earth albums and then started looking at the Rare Earth label... and found this thread...

Well can I just say I didn’t realise how many groups there were on the label! Damn... I had never even given Xit a listen before, and I kinda like them. The Crystal Mansion I like too, great lead voice.

However, Toe Fat, wtf is going on there? Oh my the album cover... weird weird weird. Phew... and The Power Of Zeus... hard psychedelic rock... experimental for Motown or what. Oh and Dan The Banjo Man... absolute madness... :D

interesting stuff
Hey Tom! I, too, love XIT! I bought both of their CDs and love them -- especially their first album that Ralph produced. Another Rare Earth-label favorite is Stoney & Meatloaf [[also produced by Ralph) i love every track but two.

Where did you see the Rare Earth catalog available as downloads?

TomBairdFan
01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Shout out, too, for the man with music running through his veins [[and Vancouver's finest), Tom Baird, who arranged the strings on ''We Live'', ''Awakening'', ''Birth'', ''Cement Prairie'' and ''Anthem Of The American Indian'', while Gene Page arranged the woodwinds to add an extra dimension on these tracks for XIT's 'Silent Warrior' album.

grapevine
01-11-2018, 09:27 AM
WOW...I didn’t realise how many groups there were on the label! Damn...

...check this out ...from the BSNPUBS / Motown site...

http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/rareearth/rareearth.html

Grape :)

motownjohnny
01-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Gary, you may not be aware, but the album "Love At First Sight" by Sounds Nice has already been released on CD in Japan, back in early 1915; I think by Warner Brothers. I'm sure copies can still be obtained, but as is always the case with these relatively obscure items, it's going to be fairly expensive to purchase.

kenneth
01-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Gary, you may not be aware, but the album "Love At First Sight" by Sounds Nice has already been released on CD in Japan, back in early 1915; I think by Warner Brothers. I'm sure copies can still be obtained, but as is always the case with these relatively obscure items, it's going to be fairly expensive to purchase.

Wow, all the way back in 1915? Well, I imagine my bud Gary wants a CD, not a shellac disc or something along those lines. LOL

mike_sku
01-11-2018, 01:40 PM
I remember buying "Love at First Sight" by Sounds Nice on CD but I don't recall what label released it.

paul_nixon
01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
It was, of course, said tongue in cheek BUT there is a point to it in that outside of the US there were differences on the Rare Earth label [[as there were on Mowest). However, Dan The Banjo Man did indeed have an LP release on the Rare Earth label - in France and Germany .

http://www.discogs.com/Dan-The-Banjo-Man-Dan-The-Banjo-Man/release/4006727

Click on the album cover and you'll be able to see more images including one of the label.

The Dan The Banjo Man CD was released by a label just 12 miles down the road from me Angel Air back in 2004

mysterysinger
01-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Just something to point out is that Rare Earth albums [[the group) are being issued as mini-LPs [[my favourite format) by Culture Factory and in chronological order too.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Wow, all the way back in 1915? Well, I imagine my bud Gary wants a CD, not a shellac disc or something along those lines. LOL
HaHa! I already have that CD, Kenny! And it's not even a cylinder!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
01-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Thanks, motownjohnny, but I already have that CD. It's on the Parlophone label.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-11-2018, 05:34 PM
I remember buying "Love at First Sight" by Sounds Nice on CD but I don't recall what label released it.

It's on Parlophone, Mike.

ralpht
01-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Great shot of Tom, TomBairdFan. Captures him perfectly. Great musician/producer, incredibly intelligent and a super nice guy. I was so lucky to have worked with him.

mysterysinger
01-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Ralph we're also lucky to have you contribute to these threads as your first hand knowledge is invaluable in understanding the personalities involved who. in most cases, we only know about from a distance.

TomatoTom123
01-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Hey Tom! I, too, love XIT! I bought both of their CDs and love them -- especially their first album that Ralph produced. Another Rare Earth-label favorite is Stoney & Meatloaf [[also produced by Ralph) i love every track but two.

Where did you see the Rare Earth catalog available as downloads?

Hey Gary, I shall have to check out that Stoney & Meatloaf album. Sounds interesting. I shall also revisit Xit and let the tunes grow on me ;)

Ooh all the Rare Earth albums up until 1973's Ma are on iTunes I believe. I've got all them as downloads and am still yet to listen to a lot of it... although I can say I love "I Just Want To Celebrate" ;) however the notion of a 20 minute song [["Get Ready") is already freaking me out, lol

TomatoTom123
01-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Ralph we're also lucky to have you contribute to these threads as your first hand knowledge is invaluable in understanding the personalities involved who. in most cases, we only know about from a distance.

Definitely mysterysinger!

And, on that point, I wonder if I could ask you something Ralph? The Power Of Zeus album you produced... what’s the story behind it? I can’t believe Motown released an album like it. What were/are your thoughts on it? I don’t know what to make of it, lol

:D

Motown1050
01-11-2018, 11:17 PM
https://www.catchopcd.net/en/mini-lp-cd/5542-stoney-and-meatloaf-stoney-and-meatloaf-mini-lp-cd-.html

I bought the Stoney & Meatloaf album along with both Sunday Funnies, Matrix, Wolfe and a couple other Big Pink reissues fairly cheaply.

I wish both Rustix albums would be released on cd, plus their rumored 3rd album that's in the vaults, also, along with the Messengers.

ralpht
01-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Tom,
Harry Balk was hot to expand the offerings of the Rare Earth Label and asked Russ and me to look for bands. Russ found Power Of Zeus playing in some Country bar on the East side of Detroit. What was odd was the band [[totally Hard Rock with the name Gangrene) had turned the bar into a Rock and Roll joint. The band's motto.."Music to infect your mind." So Russ and I went to see the band together. We both agreed to bring them to Harry. A meeting was set up between us and the band's manager, Jim Wilson. Things went well and we signed the band. Harry's first order...change the name of the band. He knew we were opening new ground for Motown with the type of music we were going to lay on the Sales Department, and heaping the name Gangrene on top of it all was a bridge too far for Harry.

ralpht
01-12-2018, 09:40 PM
By the way....I guess I somehow missed this thread when it first appeared. Many thanks for the positive feed back on my productions while at Motown. That means a lot to me.

TomatoTom123
01-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Wow, thanks Ralph. Fascinating stuff.

[["Gangrene", what kind of a name is that :D)

ralpht
01-13-2018, 01:46 PM
As a foot note, Tom, I wasn't in favor of the name. I preferred simply "Zeus".

TomatoTom123
01-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Ooh I agree with you there Ralph, ‘Zeus’ is an excellent name ;)

ralpht
01-14-2018, 06:44 AM
Mac Suazo....XIT. ..........I sent Mac an email inviting him to join this thread.

ralpht
01-14-2018, 06:52 AM
Gary, I'm curious. What Two Tracks on the Stoney and Meatloaf album don't you care for. I have my own problems with a couple of them myself.

ralpht
01-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Tom. The band had a promo picture. The four of them around a campfire and all in some sort of weird pose. One looked like he was hanging from a cross...another praying to the fire. Can't remember it all but it was so edgy it gave me the creeps. I wanted it for the album cover.. Turned out the pic creeped Harry out also and he nixed it for the cover. Wish I had that picture.

mysterysinger
01-14-2018, 07:56 AM
Talking of Meatloaf does he keep in touch and is there a sense of achievement there with you guys? Their album was released on Prodigal too I believe - another story there perhaps.

ralpht
01-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Mystery, We stayed in Touch for a while after the Motown days. He called me all excited to tell me of his upcoming role in Rocky Horror. I was happy for him. After that, life got in the way, I suppose.

A word of caution regarding the Prodigal version. Completely different than the original and horrible! I was never sure why the new version, along with the ugliest album cover ever conceived, was released instead of just re releasing the original. anyway. Stay away from it.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Gary, I'm curious. What Two Tracks on the Stoney and Meatloaf album don't you care for. I have my own problems with a couple of them myself.

Hey Ralph! My copy of Stoney & Meatloaf's album is the original Rare Earth version. Here's a quick breakdown of my favorite tracks and lesser favorites -- my favorites being those containing the most ingredients of the "Motown Sound" [[horns and strings, back-up vocals, highly-stylized musical arrangements/productions, and that certain indefinable "magic" that makes it Motown.

FAVORITES [[Love 'em!):
[[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
She Waits By The Window
It Takes All Kinds Of People
What You See Is What You Get
Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)

LESSER FAVORITES:
Game Of Love
Kiss Me Again
Jimmy Bell
Jessica White

LEAST FAVORITE:
Lady Be Mine

Overall, I love this album, Ralph. You did a great job on it! I really wish it would get a CD release to replace my current vinyl-to-CD home-made copy. I also wish you had produced a second Stoney & Meatloaf album. Are there any Stoney & Meatloaf previously-unreleased tracks in the vaults?

- Gary

mysterysinger
01-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Mystery, We stayed in Touch for a while after the Motown days. He called me all excited to tell me of his upcoming role in Rocky Horror. I was happy for him. After that, life got in the way, I suppose.

A word of caution regarding the Prodigal version. Completely different than the original and horrible! I was never sure why the new version, along with the ugliest album cover ever conceived, was released instead of just re releasing the original. anyway. Stay away from it.

Now i never knew that it was a different recording. Thanks for the warning. Wonder if either version of the Stoney & Meatloaf album will surface on CD. They must have thought a lot of it to consider re-recording it. I did have the Prodigal version on LP but wasn't enraptured with it.

ralpht
01-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Gary, We are pretty much on the same page regarding least favorite songs. Meatloaf had wanted to do Jimmy Bell as a solo. Stoney had complained to me that I was pushing her too hard in the studio, getting power out of her big voice and could she please pick a song she could sing without grinding it. She chose Game Of Love.
I liked Lady Be Mine but should have taken the production a little further.

My big disappointment: Sunshine Where's Heaven. I over produced the sucker. The song was originally meant to be kind of a laid back Soft Rock kind of song. At least that is how I wrote it. I didn't have any verses written, only the chorus. Mike Valvano and I sat in my family room one afternoon to write the verses. We were having trouble getting anywhere. We noticed my young daughter playing in her sandbox in the yard. Before I knew it we were writing about a couple that had lost a child. Not quite where I wanted to go and the production was getting away from me. Tom Baird can be heard wailing away on the piano going into the fade. So there are times I wish I could do a song over again.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Gary, We are pretty much on the same page regarding least favorite songs. Meatloaf had wanted to do Jimmy Bell as a solo. Stoney had complained to me that I was pushing her too hard in the studio, getting power out of her big voice and could she please pick a song she could sing without grinding it. She chose Game Of Love.
I liked Lady Be Mine but should have taken the production a little further.

My big disappointment: Sunshine Where's Heaven. I over produced the sucker. The song was originally meant to be kind of a laid back Soft Rock kind of song. At least that is how I wrote it. I didn't have any verses written, only the chorus. Mike Valvano and I sat in my family room one afternoon to write the verses. We were having trouble getting anywhere. We noticed my young daughter playing in her sandbox in the yard. Before I knew it we were writing about a couple that had lost a child. Not quite where I wanted to go and the production was getting away from me. Tom Baird can be heard wailing away on the piano going into the fade. So there are times I wish I could do a song over again.
I love your behind-the-scenes Motown stories, Ralph! It's fun to learn how a beautiful song got its start on a quiet afternoon in your family room. I still wish that you and Russ would collaborate on a Motown book. Take all of the behind-the-scenes stories that you shared with us in your many You-Tube videos, add additional stories like this one, and you've got a fantastic read for Motown fans!

Truthfully, I'm glad that you "over-produced" "Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)." I love the intensity of the vocals and strings. It was perfectly and appropriately Motown. If you had made it less intense, less glossy, and more rock oriented, it probably would have dropped to my "Lesser Favorites" category. As it is, I love it and wouldn't change a thing.

TomatoTom123
01-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Tom. The band had a promo picture. The four of them around a campfire and all in some sort of weird pose. One looked like he was hanging from a cross...another praying to the fire. Can't remember it all but it was so edgy it gave me the creeps. I wanted it for the album cover.. Turned out the pic creeped Harry out also and he nixed it for the cover. Wish I had that picture.

Oh my Ralph that does sound weird. Perhaps too weird. :D

I also read that Motown tried to make the album more conventional/pop-friendly by ensuring the tracks were relatively short. But the LP didn’t do very well because Motown didn’t really know what they were doing with it...?

Yes... https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-gospel-according-to-zeus-mw0000252206

Interesting :)

motownjohnny
01-15-2018, 12:36 PM
The Power Of Zeus album "The Gospel According to Zeus" has been released at least twice on CD. I have a copy issued on the "Twilight Zone" label, cat. no. TT019 that I purchased some years back from a seller in Stockholm. It's also been released on the U.K. Traffic label and if anyone is interested, copies are currently available on Ebay UK. from a seller in Australia, who has two copies for sale and provided the following info and description:

'When one thinks of Motown Records, heavy guitar riffs and psychedelic rock is not the first thing that comes to mind. Perhaps that's why Power of Zeus's The Gospel According to Zeus, the debut rock release by Motown subsidiary Rare Earth Records and the Detroit band's first and only full-length album, has achieved mythological status in the years since it's release in 1970. Marked by the virtuoso guitar work of Joe Periano, Power of Zeus create an album that merges the high-concept songwriting of Pink Floyd with the tight, powerful arrangements of Black Sabbath; see the slow psychedelic dirge "Green Grass & Clover" or the raw energy of "Sorcerer of Isis" for examples. Initially disregarded by critics and audiences, Gospel has since been recognized as a classic album and become a much sought-after collector's piece, representing the lone, great effort from a band later torn apart by drug abuse and in-fighting. Get On Down is proud to present this forgotten gem as it was intended to be heard, with a new digital audio transfer from the original analog tapes.'

Disc 1

Track 1 : It Couldn't Be Me
Track 2 : In The Night
Track 3 : Green Grass And Clover
Track 4 : I Lost My Love
Track 5 : The Death Grip
Track 6 : No Time
Track 7 : Uncertain Destination
Track 8 : Realization
Track 9 : Hard Working Man
Track 10 : The Sorcerer Of Isis [[The Ritual Of The Mole)

motownjohnny
01-15-2018, 12:58 PM
mysterysinger, I agree the Japanese Mini-Lp Cd's are superb, both in terms of aural quality and their faithful reproductions of the original cover artwork. They're also not too expensive, which is a bonus.

Were you aware that the Poor Boys only Rare Earth album "Ain't Nothin' In Our Pocket But Love" originally released on Rare Earth [[RS 519) was issued in mini-lp format last year? I'm sure new copies can still be readily purchased.

thommg
01-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Regarding the Stoney & Meatloaf album, are there two versions of that one? I once saw a track list for it that seemed to have a few songs not on the original recording while missing a couple. I can't remember exactly, I would have to see if I could find my notes on it.

mysterysinger
01-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Regarding the Stoney & Meatloaf album, are there two versions of that one? I once saw a track list for it that seemed to have a few songs not on the original recording while missing a couple. I can't remember exactly, I would have to see if I could find my notes on it.

See post 86 in this thread by Ralpht. There was a Rare Earth LP release and the album was re-recorded and released on the Prodigal label, also with a different [[yucky) cover.

TomatoTom123
01-15-2018, 07:49 PM
See post 86 in this thread by Ralpht. There was a Rare Earth LP release and the album was re-recorded and released on the Prodigal label, also with a different [[yucky) cover.

Hey mystery, how was the album re-recorded? Different backing tracks but same vocals? Remixes?

mysterysinger
01-15-2018, 09:50 PM

Well now, I've probably misunderstood the meaning of "completely different than the original and horrible" since I'd thought that meant re-recorded somehow, but it probably doesn't mean that.

The original 1971 release featured tracks:
A1 [[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
A2 She Waits By The Window
A3 It Takes All Kinds Of People
A4 Game Of Love
A5 Kiss Me Again
B1 What You See Is What You Get
B2 Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)
B3 Jimmy Bell
B4 Lady Be Mine
B5 Jessica White

Apparently, as per Discogs, the 1978 re-release omits 4 songs from the original 1971 Rare Earth Records release:

1.[[Id Love To be) As Heavy As Jesus
2. It Takes All Kinds Of People
3. Game Of Love
4. What You See Is What You Get

However, it adds 4 previously unreleased songs:

1. Stone Heart
2. Who Is The Leader Of The People
3. Everything Under The Sun
4. It features a longer, different mix of "Jimmy Bell" from the 1971 release.

So that's interesting - but it also changed the front cover from what was a tasteful portrait to what I can only describe as a dog's dinner.

The Big Pink mini-LP CD has the original artwork and the following track listing:

01. [[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
02. She Waits By The Window
03. It Takes All Kinds Of People
04. Game Of Love
05. Kiss Me Again
06. What You See Is What You Get
07. Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)
08. Jimmy Bell
09. Lady Be Mine
10. Jessica White
11. Stone Heart
12. Who Is The Leader Of The People
13. Everything Under The Sun

ralpht
01-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Everything Under The Sun was a song I had high hopes for. However some sort of miscommunication with arranger Dave Van Di Pitt had the horns coming out like a Sousa march of some sort instead of the New Orleans style I had in mind. #11 and #12 I didn't produce. That would have been produced by Nick and Dino. Harry had opened S&M to other producers, a decision I wasn't all that happy about.
t

Mark Desjardines
01-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Please excuse me if this has been mentioned previously, and a cursory look did not detect it, but Smokey Robinson's album, "Smokey," from 1970 featured XIT on the track, "Just My Soul Responding." https://youtu.be/mBny0vgnGkQ

mysterysinger
01-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Just in case Gary gets excited, "Everything Under The Sun" is a different song to anything recorded at Philles by The Ronettes or Ike & Tina.

thommg
01-16-2018, 12:16 AM

Okay, thanks. I got my albums mixed up while reading this thread. After re-reading I realize it referred to the Stoney & Meatloaf albums.

blkfrost
01-17-2018, 12:22 PM
https://www.catchopcd.net/en/mini-lp-cd/5542-stoney-and-meatloaf-stoney-and-meatloaf-mini-lp-cd-.html

I bought the Stoney & Meatloaf album along with both Sunday Funnies, Matrix, Wolfe and a couple other Big Pink reissues fairly cheaply.

I wish both Rustix albums would be released on cd, plus their rumored 3rd album that's in the vaults, also, along with the Messengers.

Thank you for the website. I just purchased Sunday Funnies - Benediction, Northern Lights - Vancouver Dreaming, Stoney And Meatloaf, Wolfe, Matrix. I found Poor Boys on Amazon before checking out this site and the Amazon price was much more.

Philles/Motown Gary
01-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Just in case Gary gets excited, "Everything Under The Sun" is a different song to anything recorded at Philles by The Ronettes or Ike & Tina.
Ha! You know me all too well, mysterysinger!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
01-17-2018, 07:57 PM

Yeah, thank you very much for the heads up, Motown1050. I just ordered my CD copy of Stoney & Meatloaf -- a dream that I never thought would come true.

And you're not alone in your wish that Rustix Rare Earth albums would get a CD release. In fact, I thought I was alone on that one. You are the first and only Motown fan, other than me, who admits to loving their first "Bedlam" album. Every track on that album had "pop hit" stamped all over it. Rustix was from Rochester, NY, where I'm from. I couldn't believe that the group didn't succeed with Motown. Friends who I played it for at the time all loved it. All that "Bedlam" needed was a chance to be heard.

TomBairdFan
01-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Reading the posts about the Rare Earth label recordings on CD got me interested all over again! I once owned all the LPs on the Rare Earth label, and only retained a few when I got rid of my vinyl collection. I held on to Impact Of Brass, The Cats, The God Squad, The Messengers, Matrix, and, of course, the two XIT albums because I liked them so much. Reading the info about the XIT albums being available on CD triggered an online hunt, and I found and ordered the 'Silent Warrior' CD. Now I will enjoy it even more, since it sounds much, much better than my old LP! Sometimes, reading SoulfulDetroit posts can be an expensive [[but enjoyable) exercise!

mysterysinger
01-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Aside from the 3 tracks on TCMS, I believe the only other track by the Impact Of Brass which is available on CD is "What A Friend We Have In Jesus" on the CD album of "The Key To The Kingdom". Does anyone know of others [[aside from TCMS and TKTTK)?

mysterysinger
01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Whilst not [[yet) available on CD as far as I know, some of you might be interested to know about this European compilation album from the days of the Rare Earth label.

The Rarest On Earth

A1 –Rare Earth Get Ready
A2 –The Rustix I Heard It Through The Grapevine
A3 –Dennis Stoner Lost Along The Highway
A4 –The Sunday Funnies Walk Down The Path Of Freedom
A5 –Stoney & Meatloaf Jimmy Bell
A6 –My Friends I'm An Easy Rider
A7 –Corliss Nelson The Way I Live
B1 –R. Dean Taylor Taos New Mexico
B2 –The Messengers Window Shopping
B3 –The Poor Boys Beg Me
B4 –Ken Christie & The Sundance People Jesus Is The Key
B5 –XIT Nihaa Shil Hozho [[I Am Happy About You)
B6 –The Sunday Funnies It's Just A Dream
B7 –Rare Earth I Just Want To Celebrate

mysterysinger
01-24-2018, 04:08 PM
With regard to the US Rare Earth label albums available on CD, obviously most are now obtainable but these are the ones still to make an appearance as far as I know [[please advise if I have any of these wrong).

Not yet on CD -

508 Rustix - Bedlam
509 Messengers - Messengers
513 Rustix - Come On People [[this is available on download via Amazon)
521 Cats - 45 Lives
527 Magic - Magic
529 Impact Of Brass - Down At The Brassworks
530 Dennis Stoner - Dennis Stoner
531 God Squad - Jesus Christ's Greatest Hits
532 Repairs - Already A Household Word
533 Other People - Head To Head [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
537 Howl The Good - Howl The Good
544 Puzzle - Puzzle [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
549 The Pretty Things - Real Pretty [[but the two albums it comprises are on CD anyway)

Also, whilst 518 Lost Nation Paradise Lost is on CD, I believe these are of unofficial issue.

Please let me know of any of these you've found on CD or alternatively on download at a push.

johnny_raven
01-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Magic's album [[minus 2 tracks) are available for download and The Cats album is available as part of [[I think) 2 Anthologies.

mysterysinger
01-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Thanks for that JR.

mysterysinger
08-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Before I forget, Howl The Good is also available on a Big Pink mini-LP CD.

mowsville
08-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Has anyone heard anymore about The Stoney and Meatloaf expanded edition?

ralpht
08-21-2019, 07:22 PM
From what I was told it will be a September release.

mowsville
08-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the update Ralph.

mjdestiny
04-14-2020, 04:36 AM
Two more album available on CD for the first time :

_ Down At The Brass Works - The Impact Of The Brass
https://www.catchopcd.net/mini-lp-cd/7013-the-impact-of-the-brass-down-at-the-brass-works-mini-lp-cd-.html

_ Magic - Magic
https://www.catchopcd.net/mini-lp-cd/7066-magic-magic-mini-lp-cd-.html

Both CD are out of stock but you can find them on ebay

mysterysinger
04-18-2020, 05:54 PM
Can see my collection [[so far) here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/albums/72157692706116875

TomatoTom123
04-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Does anyone have the Impact Of Brass album? Is it any good!? I've heard one or two songs from it and it sounds nice!:D

mjdestiny
04-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Never heard about this digital compilation issued in 2015 :

" The Detroit Sessions" by Magic
https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Sessions-Magic/dp/B00TQTH1HG

It contains , to my knowledge , some songs previously unreleased : "Artificial Dream" , "Get Up" , "I'm Singing A Song" and "Light Up Your Window" [[ informations about this four tracks on DFTMC )

mysterysinger
04-28-2020, 07:59 PM
Very nice find on that digital release "The Detroit Sessions" by Magic.

All 16 tracks there are listed on DFTMC but of the 11 songs on the "Magic" album on the Rare Earth label only 9 are included [[missing "Keep On Movin' On" and "Don't Use Your Love To Blind Me") - so may still need to buy the Big Pink CD release to have the entire album.

That, of course, means that 9 of the tracks on the digital release weren't on the album and seemingly unreleased until 2015?. Many of the tracks are quite enjoyable too even on first listen.

mysterysinger
04-28-2020, 08:43 PM
Does anyone have the Impact Of Brass album? Is it any good!? I've heard one or two songs from it and it sounds nice!:D

It's a fairly typical Motowny instrumental thing - good for background music. The single release "Never Can Say Goodbye" / "So Far So Good" [[available on TCMS) is typical of the feel of the album. It's not a lot like a proper brass band sound really [[being a Northern England lad) - the closest they get to that type of sound is actually on another album "The Key To The Kingdom" which is also available on CD and the track I'm referring to is "What a Friend We Have In Jesus" - it's a beauty.

The Impact of Brass do have a Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/The-Impact-of-Brass-208452869196895

TomatoTom123
04-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Thanks mystery! Yes, if I'm not mistaken, I believe they released a few things after their tenure at Motown, and must still be in existence as of today apparently!

The link to the new CD of their Motown LP doesn’t work for me though... :[[

mysterysinger
04-29-2020, 08:45 AM
Here's an ebay link - re south Korea - I've bought items from this supplier no problems at all

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-IMPACT-OF-THE-BRASS-DOWN-AT-THE-BRASS-WORKS-MINI-LP-CD-NEW-HENRY-COSBY/323955671663?hash=item4b6d43426f:g:f5oAAOSwAepdt9Q C

Here is also a link to my images of the CD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/albums/72157712035982823

mysterysinger
04-29-2020, 08:46 AM
and NCSG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WhyQv0fcSw

TomatoTom123
04-29-2020, 09:14 AM
Thanks mystery :)

mjdestiny
04-29-2020, 10:16 AM
That, of course, means that 9 of the tracks on the digital release weren't on the album and seemingly unreleased until 2015?. Many of the tracks are quite enjoyable too even on first listen.
5 of these 9 tracks are included this 1998 CD :
https://www.discogs.com/fr/Magic-Enclosed/release/2498317

mysterysinger
04-29-2020, 01:01 PM
How right you are and the "Enclosed" album is from 1969 - and there's one of the missing tracks "Keep On Movin' On". Now where is "Don't Use Your Love To Blind Me"? You're coming up with some great info. Actually I have seen that cover before but maybe not connected it.

TomBairdFan
06-16-2020, 12:39 PM

OK, so sometimes it takes me a while to get round to buying 'new' releases, but the wait was worth it today when I got the Power Of Zeus 'The Gospel According To Zeus' CD. I had the album many years ago and was aware that it had appeared several times officially and unoffically on CD over the years. I purchased the 2019 version on the Mr Bongo label [[ASIN: B07NRDPC5J) which is officially licensed by Universal and was half-speed mastered by Miles Showell at Abbey Road. While it may not be the greatest rock album ever made, it still has great originality and the newly mastered version probably sounds as good as what Russ and Ralph heard through the speakers when they produced this most unusual Motown magnum opus. It's hard to believe that Power Of Zeus was only a four-piece because they created an album full of excellent vocals and instrumentation worthy of a larger group. The most spooky thing to realize is that the twins were working on this a mere 50 YEARS AGO, and I'm sure that neither they nor the group thought that there would still be buyers for this album today! Definitely one of Curtis McNair's more 'out there' album covers, too, but totally appropriate for what's in the grooves. Although it's a bit of an outsider, it's a very welcome addition to my musically open-minded Motown collection and just listening to it makes you appreciate all the work and creativity that went into its making.

mysterysinger
11-23-2020, 01:18 AM
The Cats "45 Lives" received a 2020 release on CD from Big Pink.

So I think these may be the ones still to see a CD release [[may be wrong)

508 Rustix - Bedlam
509 Messengers - Messengers
513 Rustix - Come On People [[this is available on download via Amazon)
530 Dennis Stoner - Dennis Stoner
531 God Squad - Jesus Christ's Greatest Hits
532 Repairs - Already A Household Word
533 Other People - Head To Head [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
544 Puzzle - Puzzle [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
549 The Pretty Things - Real Pretty [[but the two albums it comprises are on CD anyway)

ralpht
11-23-2020, 08:46 AM

OK, so sometimes it takes me a while to get round to buying 'new' releases, but the wait was worth it today when I got the Power Of Zeus 'The Gospel According To Zeus' CD. I had the album many years ago and was aware that it had appeared several times officially and unoffically on CD over the years. I purchased the 2019 version on the Mr Bongo label [[ASIN: B07NRDPC5J) which is officially licensed by Universal and was half-speed mastered by Miles Showell at Abbey Road. While it may not be the greatest rock album ever made, it still has great originality and the newly mastered version probably sounds as good as what Russ and Ralph heard through the speakers when they produced this most unusual Motown magnum opus. It's hard to believe that Power Of Zeus was only a four-piece because they created an album full of excellent vocals and instrumentation worthy of a larger group. The most spooky thing to realize is that the twins were working on this a mere 50 YEARS AGO, and I'm sure that neither they nor the group thought that there would still be buyers for this album today! Definitely one of Curtis McNair's more 'out there' album covers, too, but totally appropriate for what's in the grooves. Although it's a bit of an outsider, it's a very welcome addition to my musically open-minded Motown collection and just listening to it makes you appreciate all the work and creativity that went into its making.

TBF I'm a little late to this show. Thank you for the kind words on the album. Here are a couple of things about the album that may interest you. Curtis wanted a different cover that would show the faces of the band.He made a valid point but we still wanted Jim Wilson's shot. He was the band's manager and a talented photographer.

We got sampled many times, mostly from Rap artists. They were attracted to a freak-out section that Russ created which included synth sweeps and whale sounds and much more, on the title : Sorcerer of Ises...Ritual of the Mole.

And yes it does amaze me that the album is still selling.

By the way...I like your screen name. I was a close friend of Tom Baird, a true genius.

jbpintus
12-05-2020, 10:29 PM
Culture Factory has 2 ‘new’ RARE EARTH which I don’t remember seeing mentioned here.

RARE EARTH - Grand Slam [[cd)

RARE EARTH - Generation [[2000 copies limited edition on pink vinyl only)
To my knowledge it’s the first time ever this album gets released officially.

[[Thus making RAREARTH the last album by the band not released by Culture Factory yet. And they had released the withdrawn LIVE IN CHICAGO too btw)

mysterysinger
02-17-2022, 06:29 PM
Many of the Big Pink releases are no longer listed on Ebay. Last I looked there was still Howl The Good, Magic and The Cats "45 Lives".

TomBairdFan
02-18-2022, 04:17 PM
I liked the Cats '45 Lives' album so much that I ended up getting a number of their EMI Bovema CDs. Ten of the twelve tracks from 45 Lives appear on 'The Cats - Marian- Famous Favouites' CD. Search barcode: 0 7777948552 9 at Discogs. It's a very enjoyable compilation. Those cats made some great music!

ralpht
05-09-2022, 06:52 PM
A taste of XIT,,,,Coming of the White Man..
https://youtu.be/vQqd1HisNFo

I realize this is an older thread, but I was listening to some of XIT today and had forgotten just how good the band was. This selection is a favorite of mine.

mysterysinger
05-10-2022, 03:42 PM
Always enjoy coming back to this thread and you can't have too much XIT.

ralpht
05-10-2022, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Mystery. Glad to accommodate.

ralpht
05-11-2022, 09:06 AM
I should point out that ALL percussion on the album are authentic Indian drums and bells. There are no conventional drums on any of the songs. We tried to keep it real.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-14-2022, 06:15 PM
Hey Gary,
Get some sleep. Because of time differences, it may be a while before I hear from them.

No problem, Ralph. I was a nighthawk back then and still am!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-14-2022, 06:20 PM
I should point out that ALL percussion on the album are authentic Indian drums and bells. There are no conventional drums on any of the songs. We tried to keep it real.

And you suceeded beautifully, Ralph! The percussion used throughout is magnificent! I've gotta get out my CD copy and give it a play or two.

ralpht
05-14-2022, 07:03 PM
One of the drums was big enough to stand on, which R.C. did on one of the songs with bells strapped to his ankles, beating the rhythm with his feet.

kenneth
05-15-2022, 10:50 AM
This thread is another reason why I love this forum. I collected many of the original LPs released on the Rare Earth label back in the late 80s and early 90s when many of them were available in the cut out bins at record stores. In spite of my collecting many of these releases, I barely got around to playing most of them. After seeing this threads “revival“, I went and checked my collection and found I had the XIT “Plight of the Red Man” album. I listened to it the other night and it is definitely an unusual album with a bigger purpose than just selling records and is a very interesting experience. I want to sit down and listen to it seriously while reading the lyrics which come with the LP. I’m also interested now in finding their other album on the label, but I think I’ll look for the LP first.

Its also very interesting to learn how this album came to be with Ralphs production and direction as to its release.

I thought I had the album by Power of Zeus, but I wasn’t able to find it the other day. I guess I should check in the “Z“ section as well as in the “P” category where I should’ve found it.

This is a really great discussion and what amazing background to learn about this innovative band.

ralpht
05-15-2022, 04:06 PM
Kenneth, originally the album was to contain a few pages, telling the story along with more pictures. Motown pulled back on the expenses a little because they were a new and unknown band. I was satisfied with what was done though, understanding the situation.

ralpht
05-15-2022, 04:10 PM
It was during the production of the album that the guys re-named me. I became Laughing Eagle. I will always be proud of the name, knowing the sacred importance of the eagle to the Red Man's culture.

kenneth
05-17-2022, 10:22 AM
Kenneth, originally the album was to contain a few pages, telling the story along with more pictures. Motown pulled back on the expenses a little because they were a new and unknown band. I was satisfied with what was done though, understanding the situation.

It’s a beautiful package and is presented very well.

ralpht
05-17-2022, 12:22 PM
Thanks Kenneth. I had no problem with the cover.