PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Cindy Birdsong

test

RobertZ
11-27-2014, 08:30 PM
An Open Letter to Cindy Birdsong

Dear Cindy:

I hope you don’t mind me calling you Cindy – that is how your fans think of you, and even now that you are in a private phase of your life that is how we refer to you when we share memories of your wonderful performances.

I only know your work as a Bluebell through records, and those are wonderful. But it is your performing years as a Supreme and onward with which I am most familiar with you.

My first memory of you comes from the wonderful TV special “TCB”, a joint venture of Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Temptations. You had recently taken on the challenge of replacing a popular member of a beloved group, and you did so with “amazing grace”, talent, and intelligence. Watching “TCB” with my family, we loved all three ladies, but agreed that “the new girl” was the prettiest of the three – as pretty her surname!

In the rocky and adventurous years of the Supremes that followed many fans, including myself, were always happy [[and relieved!) when “our Cindy” turned up on an album or TV performance!

So now, on Thanksgiving Day, since you have chosen to remain out of the public eye, I want to thank you for many years of wonderful performances and beautiful singing. I hope that you are happy, comfortable, and at peace – you deserve that, and much more!

Sincerely,
Robert

Roberta75
11-27-2014, 10:26 PM
An Open Letter to Cindy Birdsong

Dear Cindy:

I hope you don’t mind me calling you Cindy – that is how your fans think of you, and even now that you are in a private phase of your life that is how we refer to you when we share memories of your wonderful performances.

I only know your work as a Bluebell through records, and those are wonderful. But it is your performing years as a Supreme and onward with which I am most familiar with you.

My first memory of you comes from the wonderful TV special “TCB”, a joint venture of Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Temptations. You had recently taken on the challenge of replacing a popular member of a beloved group, and you did so with “amazing grace”, talent, and intelligence. Watching “TCB” with my family, we loved all three ladies, but agreed that “the new girl” was the prettiest of the three – as pretty her surname!

In the rocky and adventurous years of the Supremes that followed many fans, including myself, were always happy [[and relieved!) when “our Cindy” turned up on an album or TV performance!

So now, on Thanksgiving Day, since you have chosen to remain out of the public eye, I want to thank you for many years of wonderful performances and beautiful singing. I hope that you are happy, comfortable, and at peace – you deserve that, and much more!

Sincerely,
Robert

Miss Birdsong, yes RobertZ shes real great lady and a minister for the Lord who I know is watching over her this Thanksgiving.

God of all blessings,
source of all life,
giver of all grace:

We thank you for the gift of life:
for the breath
that sustains life,
for the food of this earth
that nurtures life,
for the love of family and friends
without which there would be no life.

We thank you for the mystery of creation:
for the beauty
that the eye can see,
for the joy
that the ear may hear,
for the unknown
that we cannot behold filling the universe with wonder,
for the expanse of space
that draws us beyond the definitions of our selves.

We thank you for setting us in communities:
for families
who nurture our becoming,
for friends
who love us by choice,
for companions at work,
who share our burdens and daily tasks,
for strangers
who welcome us into their midst,
for people from other lands
who call us to grow in understanding,
for children
who lighten our moments with delight,
for the unborn,
who offer us hope for the future.

We thank you for this day:
for life
and one more day to love,
for opportunity
and one more day to work for justice and peace,
for neighbors
and one more person to love
and by whom be loved,
for your grace
and one more experience of your presence,
for your promise:
to be with us,
to be our God,
and to give salvation.

we thank you for the gift of Barbara Martin and Diane Ross and Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson and Cindy birdsong and Jen Terell and Lynda Laurence and Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene and the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves.

For these, and all blessings,
we give you thanks, eternal, loving God,
through Jesus Christ we pray.

your faithful servant

Roberta.

Amen.

jobeterob
11-27-2014, 11:21 PM
We second these emotions!

REDHOT
11-28-2014, 12:57 AM
Miss Cindy Birdsong,Love You

Philles/Motown Gary
11-28-2014, 02:43 PM
My favorite hit version of Diana Ross & The Supremes has always been the second version including Diana, Mary, and Cindy. The harmonies were tighter, the choreography was more intricate, and you girls were pure class of the highest caliber. The Supremes never looked and sounded so good! Just wanted you to know that, Cindy.

brother_love
11-29-2014, 04:58 PM
This new remix project of 'Up The Ladder' is dedicated to Cindy Birdsong.

franjoy56
11-29-2014, 11:41 PM
My recollections of cindy birdsong is that of class never having "an unkind word" to say about anybody a quote from diana's written work. You were a singing Bluebelle w Patti but u were destined for much more. Furthermore when u stepped in to replace flo in thec supremes u carried such a heavy load but u did a fabulous job, and ur work on album tracks like then, hes my, sunny boy, keep sn eye, ill set u free, im gonna make u love me, along with a stirring solo at the farewell show, and continuing on with Jean and later scherrie showed that u were a real trouper, ur dancing with mary in finely executed dance moves on many tv shows brought the group up to an act to behold from the late 60,s thru the early 70s. When u left the supremes the fans said oh no not another change, but u came back when mary needed u and jumped right in and did ur craft keeping the supremes in the mix. You put ur final vocal touches on the High energy album which was the official,supremes comeback album the second best selling supremes album in tne 70s. Many years after u the left the supremes we saw ur work with jim and tammi baker and came to hear ur heavenly voice singing for the lord. Then u came out again as a solo i remember Dancing Room. I have a letter u wrote me and i am forever greatful for the words u gave me encouragement and kindness. You are special and may god provide u with comfort in your private world we appreciate, love and respect u always. Frances B.

BigAl
12-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I only know your work as a Bluebell through records...

Here's a nice sample of Cindy as a Bluebelle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDwsTQtGSIUgk&v=wsTQtGSIUgk

BigAl
12-04-2014, 06:24 PM
...and another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwF349gkGls