PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Nov 25, 9P-12M ET: Jimmy Ruffin Tribute/Baby It's Me Part 1

test

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Howdy, Nightflight listeners! Tonight...a tribute to one of Motown's BEST....Jimmy Ruffin. As you know, we lost Jimmy a week ago...a loss that aches me. Jimmy's mellow and powerful vocal tones graced so many great songs, so I'll be playing all that 2 hours can fit. The FIRST hour of the show, however, will be the same first hour as last week. Due to technical difficulties, most of you were unable to hear last week's first hour with Andy Skurow and George Solomon discussing their production of the new UMe release ...Diana Ross' "Baby It's Me"...I do my best to accommodate! All this and more....tonight on "Nightflight" on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) Thanks! See you on the radio! John

thomas96
11-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Will be listening Johnny. PLease play Jimmy's fantastic version of "This Guy's In Love With You."

144man
11-25-2014, 03:23 PM
I'll be listening. Please play the underrated "Maria [[You Were the Only One)".

Mark Desjardines
11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
John, this evening's program will undoubtably be a huge double header for sure. Your Jimmy Ruffin tribute will surely be greatly heartfelt. Those of us like me who had problems connecting to WOMR last week, no doubt due in part to us being Mac users and the new OS X Yosemite system now integrated with iTunes, should find it clear listening this evening. Yes, "Nightflight" does have Motown as its heart and soul, but you have the soul in your heart to make it all work!

thanxal
11-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Listening as usual. Posting, meh.

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Will be listening Johnny. PLease play Jimmy's fantastic version of "This Guy's In Love With You." Glad you'll be listening Thomas...I will certain play your request!

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I'll be listening. Please play the underrated "Maria [[You Were the Only One)". Martin....great that you'll be here! I will definitely play your request!

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 05:21 PM
John, this evening's program will undoubtably be a huge double header for sure. Your Jimmy Ruffin tribute will surely be greatly heartfelt. Those of us like me who had problems connecting to WOMR last week, no doubt due in part to us being Mac users and the new OS X Yosemite system now integrated with iTunes, should find it clear listening this evening. Yes, "Nightflight" does have Motown as its heart and soul, but you have the soul in your heart to make it all work! Mark...thanks for your always kind words!!! Glad you'll be listening..."the soul in your heart"....thank you....and what a great title for a song!!

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Listening as usual. Posting, meh. Brent [[*smile)...glad you'll be listening!!!

MotownLover
11-25-2014, 08:10 PM
How fitting to honor the memory of Jimmy, a very under-rated member of the Motown roster of stars. Most people know of him due to his smash hit "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted," of course. But, me being a Motown 45s collector back in the day bought up every single release on the Soul subsidiary label including his vinyl albums.

I would appreciate hearing "As Long As There Is L-O-V-E Love" on the show tonight. I purchased this single AFTER Jimmy hit the charts with "WBOTB." He will be missed.

Howard in Long Beach, CA :-[[

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 08:16 PM
How fitting to honor the memory of Jimmy, a very under-rated member of the Motown roster of stars. Most people know of him due to his smash hit "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted," of course. But, me being a Motown 45s collector back in the day bought up every single release on the Soul subsidiary label including his vinyl albums.

I would appreciate hearing "As Long As There Is L-O-V-E Love" on the show tonight. I purchased this single AFTER Jimmy hit the charts with "WBOTB." He will be missed.

Howard in Long Beach, CA :-[[ Howard....good to know you'll be here listening. And I will definitely play "ALATI L-O-V-E LOVE"....one of my absolute favorites!

MotownLover
11-25-2014, 08:19 PM
How fitting to honor the memory of Jimmy, a very under-rated member of the Motown roster of stars. Most people know of him due to his smash hit "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted," of course. But, me being a Motown 45s collector back in the day, I bought up every single release on the Soul subsidiary label including his vinyl albums.

I would appreciate hearing "As Long As There Is L-O-V-E Love" on the show tonight. I purchased this single AFTER Jimmy hit the charts with "WBOTBH." He will be missed.

Howard in Long Beach, CA :-[[

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 09:50 PM
...in the studio....howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeee All!

Glenpwood
11-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Evening John & The Gang!

Can't wait to hear what Jimmy Ruffin songs await us!

144man
11-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Hooray! No problems with streaming today.

Johnny, It's Me.

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Evening John & The Gang!

Can't wait to hear what Jimmy Ruffin songs await us!

Hi there, Glen and Carl...hope you like the stuff!

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Hooray! No problems with streaming today.

Johnny, It's Me.

Hahahahah....phewwwwwwwww....what a relief!

Glenpwood
11-25-2014, 10:19 PM
If they had gone with the alternate vocal /mix on Gettin Ready For Love it would've been a bigger hit. The aggressive vocal worlks great and that sax solo is pure ear candy.

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 10:26 PM
If they had gone with the alternate vocal /mix on Gettin Ready For Love it would've been a bigger hit. The aggressive vocal worlks great and that sax solo is pure ear candy.

Yessssssssss....such a great song!!!!

Glenpwood
11-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Are my ears decieving me or does the new version of Baby It's Me with the dueling Diana's run a smidge slower than the version that made the original LP? Perhaps Perry pitched up/sped up that version before releasing it?

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Are my ears decieving me or does the new version of Baby It's Me with the dueling Diana's run a smidge slower than the version that made the original LP? Perhaps Perry pitched up/sped up that version before releasing it?

I think you're right, Glen.....I heard it too.

144man
11-25-2014, 10:38 PM
No sign of UK release yet:[[

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 10:43 PM
No sign of UK release yet:[[

Martin...no way to download it on your side of the pond?

Glenpwood
11-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Martin,

its been on UK ITunes since the day before it came out in the USA.

144man
11-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Martin,

its been on UK ITunes since the day before it came out in the USA.

Really? I don't have ITunes account, so I've only looked Amazon UK. Thanks for info.

franjoy56
11-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Martin...no way to download it on your side of the pond?oh johnny im here want to hear baby itss me and jimmy ruffin s stuff thank u ive past this way before, glsd u have andy on ur show too.

thomas96
11-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Fantastic track.

thomas96
11-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Another MUST Johnny if you can.... World So Wide, No Place to Hide

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:00 PM
oh johnny im here want to hear baby itss me and jimmy ruffin s stuff thank u ive past this way before, glsd u have andy on ur show too.

Howdy, Franjoy!!!!!

Mark Desjardines
11-25-2014, 11:03 PM
John, who else but you would be so gracious to replay the missing to many of us of first part of last's week programming. It was SO enlightening. Thank you! And now for the Jimmy Ruffin Tribute. Your love of Jimmy's music and legacy is very evident, and so much appreciated!

franjoy56
11-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Howdy, Franjoy!!!!!
C u play ive past this way before and dianas the love that made me cry.

144man
11-25-2014, 11:08 PM
"As Long As There Is L-O-V-E Love" was the UK's introduction to Jimmy Ruffin with its inclusion on the "New Faces from Hitsville" EP. Not a single here but great record.

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:12 PM
John, who else but you would be so gracious to replay the missing to many of us first part of last's week programming. It was So enlightening. Thank you. And now for the Jimmy Ruffin Tribute. Your love of Jimmy's music and legacy is Do evident, and so much appreciated!

Mark...thank you, my friend....it's the least I can do for those of you that take your time to listen to the show.

franjoy56
11-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Howdy, Franjoy!!!!!

thomas96
11-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Also, David & Jimmy, "Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time" if you can...

supremester
11-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Great Show! Great Tunes! Great DJ! Note to andy & George ALL of my Ross buddies not on the chat sites are knocked out by BIM - literally raves...even I like it better and it's not in my top ten. GREAT JOB!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

gregg with Geoff & Michael

thomas96
11-25-2014, 11:21 PM
This track is unjustly buried at the back of his Top Ten album.... What a great song, How Can I Say I'm Sorry...

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Franjoys...the Diana segment was just to play Andy and George's chat since people could hear it last week...

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Great Show! Great Tunes! Great DJ! Note to andy & George ALL of my Ross buddies not on the chat sites are knocked out by BIM - literally raves...even I like it better and it's not in my top ten. GREAT JOB!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

gregg with Geoff & Michael

Thank you, Gregg and Geoff....Happy Thanksgiving to you both too!

franjoy56
11-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Thank u johnny love ur shows and happy thanksgiving i.

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Thank u johnny love ur shows and happy thanksgiving i.

Franjoy....very sweet...thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you too....

carole cucumber
11-25-2014, 11:29 PM
How about Jimmy's version of "Beauty's [[Beauty Is) Only Skin Deep"?

[I've never noticed the breaking up of the contraction on 'Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars' or Jimmy's U.K. Anthology- until now]

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:31 PM
How about Jimmy's version of "Beauty's [[Beauty Is) Only Skin Deep"?
Hey, Carole...well..now one ever said you were easy...about music anyway [[*grin)

carole cucumber
11-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Or how about Jimmy Ruffin & Brenda Holloway's [[Ian Levine) "On the Rebound" ?

144man
11-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Carole,
do you know if Jimmy Ruffin recorded the demo version of "It's So Hard Being A Loser"?

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Or how about Jimmy Ruffin & Brenda Holloway's [[Ian Levine) "On the Rebound" ?

NEVER....no Ian Levine will darken my cd player...sorry...

thomas96
11-25-2014, 11:50 PM
NEVER....no Ian Levine will darken my cd player...sorry...

Amen man amen

thomas96
11-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Gladys & the Pips did this track as well. Jimmy's version is my favorite.

carole cucumber
11-25-2014, 11:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVJslrWTPuU

carole cucumber
11-25-2014, 11:54 PM

thomas96
11-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow, can't believe they cut that! Thanks Johnny. Such an amazing song.

midnight johnny
11-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Thank you, Carole!!!!!

carole cucumber
11-26-2014, 12:03 AM
Carole,
do you know if Jimmy Ruffin recorded the demo version of "It's So Hard Being A Loser"?

I don't know. Like you, Martin, we can only go by the info Keith Hughes gives us in the recent Contours set.
It does seem odd that a demo vocal was recorded by ? and the, the very next day, Dennis Edwards recorded his lead.

144man
11-26-2014, 12:04 AM
When the Jimmy Ruffin anthology was being compiled, there was not enough space for the complete recordings. It was decided that previously unreleased tracks should be included at the expense of some material that was freely available - probably the right decision.

midnight johnny
11-26-2014, 12:06 AM
When the Jimmy Ruffin anthology was being compiled, there was not enough space for the complete recordings. It was decided that previously unreleased tracks should be included at the expense of some material that was freely available - probably the right decision. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
Thanks, Martin....

carole cucumber
11-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Perhaps one day the [[Jean Terrell) Supremes version will receive an official release.

144man
11-26-2014, 12:49 AM
What do you reckon the better title for a song is - "On the Avenue" or "In the Neighbourhood"?

Glenpwood
Some great deep cuts I've never heard before. Looks like I'll be scouring Itunes and Ebay this week for these Ruffin goodies!

midnight johnny
Thanks everybody!!!!! Have a WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!!!! See you next week!!!!

thomas96
11-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Never played This Guy's In Love With You!

midnight johnny
11-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Some great deep cuts I've never heard before. Looks like I'll be scouring Itunes and Ebay this week for these Ruffin goodies!

You didn't ASK me....[[*grin)

Mark Desjardines
11-26-2014, 01:12 PM
John; just saw this and wanted to add this to the thoughts shared by your listeners regarding your tribute to Jimmy Ruffin.

Rod Stewart learned of Jimmy's death in Las Vegas, where he was doing a show, his spokesperson said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press. "RIP, Jimmy. Heaven has never sounded so sweet," Stewart said. - ABC News

midnight johnny
11-26-2014, 07:57 PM
John; just saw this and wanted to add this to the thoughts shared by your listeners regarding your tribute to Jimmy Ruffin.

Rod Stewart learned of Jimmy's death in Las Vegas, where he was doing a show, his spokesperson said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press. "RIP, Jimmy. Heaven has never sounded so sweet," Stewart said. - ABC News Mark...thanks for posting this! I've never been a fan of Rod Stewart, but his thoughtful gesture changes that a bit!