PDA

View Full Version : Three ounces of love

test

BayouMotownMan
11-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I was just transferring this lp from vinyl to CD and remembered the first time hearing it in 1978. It was a good lp then and still holds up extremely well.

I would say most of the tracks are outstanding and mixed the classic Motown sound with late 70s disco. The title track may have been a little late in the mix of the tons of space songs being issued after the success of Star Wars and Close Encounters. The rest of side one is still highly commercial with Don't Worry 'Bout My Love being one of Motown's most overlooked ballads. Side Two is less distinguishable with the exception of the Holland Brothers In The Middle Of The Feeling. This was pure Motown magic with a lead vocal reminiscent of Diana Ross or Jean Terrell. There were several hit potentials on here other than the above, namely Bet You'll Come Running.

Three Ounces were actually sisters from Detroit discovered by the Commodores who tried to launch them along with Platinum Hook as I recall. They had a great sound and I understand they still perform from time to time. Motown really dropped the ball on this one. The front cover should have been the back cover. The back cover had only a tiny photo of what appeared to be attractive young women. Also, the first pressings of this good album had to be recalled because Side A was also on Side B. There was no promotion for them or Platinum Hook. Perhaps the suits didn't want the Commodores to be successful at anything other than making hits of their own for Motown.

Philles/Motown Gary
11-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Yeah! I LOVE Three Ounces Of Love’s "I’ve Got A Right To Be Loved"! Three Ounces Of Love remind me of Motown’s High Inergy. Here’s hoping that Big Break Records [[BBR) or one of the other Motown-reissue labels will release this album on CD. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Here’s the link to this great 1970's Holland-Dozier-Harold Beatty composition, uploaded to YouTube by W. Walter Watson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elEvfYu_aY8